Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Are you considering a vehicle subscription service or did you previously consider one and decide against it? If so, a reporter would like to talk to you. Please reach out to [email protected] by 10/30 for more details.
Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

2000 Chevy Metro Turbocharger

jmoulterjmoulter Posts: 1
edited November 2018 in Chevrolet

Someone is giving me a 2000 Chevy Metro, it's a 5 speed with the 3 cylinder 1.0. When I first got it the clutch needed to be replaced so I did. Then I noticed that while it was in fifth gear it would lose power going up a hill even at 65mph and would slow down to 45 mph so I would downshift to fourth gear just so I could get up the hill. So I had it checked and there was no check engine light or anything on it didn't burn oil so we did a engine rebuild. Still didn't help the issue so we moved onto the transmission and had that rebuilt. Still no change so we want to put a turbocharger on but we cannot find a turbo charger exhaust manifold anywhere for a 3 cylinder metro. Can anyone point me in the direction of where on this earth I might find one??

Comments

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Sonoma, CaliforniaPosts: 64,490

I think you're beating a dead horse here. Many motorcycles have more power than your car, because the Metro was built strictly for fuel economy. You'd be better off installing the 1.3L engine--that'll bump your horsepower from 55 to 79. Even if you found a turbocharger (they used to make one back in the late 1980s, for the Canadian and Japanese market), I think the engine would hand-grenade in short order.

If you really need a faster car, you should just go buy a faster car. A nice turbo kit for most cars is a $3500 proposition and it makes no sense to invest that much in a 2000 Metro.

• Idiesel02Idiesel02 Northern UtahPosts: 2
    edited November 2018
    Compressed air injected into intake gets me up the hills at only a 5mph loss. It's redneck, but cheep solution.