Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2000 Silverado Engine Ping

mpbirdiempbirdie Member Posts: 1
edited April 2014 in Chevrolet
My 2000 4.8l engine has a slight ping at idle. Chevrolet says that they are aware of the problem and it has to do with carbon build-up on the piston ring. Has anyone else experienced this? I have put on 11000 miles and really like the truck. Not sure what to do for the future. I had planned on keeping truck for 10 years.

Comments

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Sorry, but that makes no sense as you've described it. An engine cannot ping without a load on it. Must be some other noise if you are idling in neutral.
  • lwittorflwittorf Member Posts: 96
    Yes they do have a ping in those motors one guy I work with had one and they told him they have a problem but don't have a fix. Offered him a 100,000 mile warrenty he stated he didn't pay that kind of money to have a noisey motor went to bbb and they bought it back and he got the small v8 is very happy now. Haven't heard of a fix yet.
    I'm still not understanding how this is possible. If the engine pre-detonated at idle, I can't imagine the level of damage when you stepped on the gas and the timing advanced. Perhaps we aren't talking about the same thing when we say "ping?" Or maybe someone better versed in automotive physics can enlighten me. I'm ready to learn!

(sure this isn't a diesel? --LOL)
    One thing suggested to me from another board was that there could maybe be some incredibly radical leaning of the fuel mixture that miraculously goes away the minute you step on the gas. It's a long shot, but so far the only plausible (however remotely) explanation for a ping at idle.
  • eater_33062eater_33062 Member Posts: 34
    U SHURE THE ENGINE ISN'T FILLED WITH CARBON? HOW HOT IS IT RUNNING? DOESN'T MAKE MUCH SENSE TO ME.MAYBE AN UPPER CYL & FUEL INJECTOR CLEANER, WITH CHECKING IF INTAKE MANFOLD FULL OF CARBON & IGNITING FUEL/AIR MIX INSTEAD OF PLUGS DOING IT WHEN HOT. YEARS AGO WE USED A QT. OF WATER DOWN THE CARB AT FAST RPMS TO RID CARBON. CANT DO IT IN TODAY'S ENGINES. PS ALSO CRACKED THE ODD HEAD BY THIS TRICK,BUT WORKED MOST TIMES, WHEN DIDN'T WANT TO TAKE IT APART. LH
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    NEW OR CHANGED FOR 2001 MODEL YEAR
    Reduced Main Bearing Tolerances
    Two-Point Coolant Vapor Vents
    Revised Intake Manifold
    Improved Catalytic Converters
    Improved Mass Air Flow Sensor with Temperature Sensor
    Extended Oil Change Interval
    Sleeveless Coolant Sensor

CUSTOMER BENEFITS

MORE PRECISE BEARING FIT
    Smaller tolerances in the crankshaft main bearings mean a more precise fit. The result is an increase in long-term durability and, just as importantly, a reduction in something known to engineers as "cold knock"--a slight slapping noise from the engine before it reaches full operating temperature.

For 2001, the main bearing tolerances of these engines have been tightened for quieter, cold-engine startup. Noise and vibration are also reduced by an intake manifold revision that results in better isolation of the fuel injection solenoid.

REVISED INTAKE MANIFOLD
    The intake manifold has an improved purge isolator--the rubber device used to mount the solenoid that manages fuel injection-to reduce noise and vibration. The new manifold also has a new, more durable injector director plate, with two large holes rather than four smaller one to reduce potential for clogging.

Is the answer somewhere in here?????
  • 0patience0patience Member Posts: 1,712
    It provides the cause and so-called solution.

LOL!

Bear in mind this isn't for the 4.8L

I didn't find this info for the 4.8L, so it may explain a bit, but there doesn't seem to be a solution yet.
This discussion has been closed.