Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Subaru Impreza WRX Wagon

Comments

• Options
    p0926p0926 Member Posts: 4,423
    Crazy1- "One reason for higher rates is the costly repair of 4 wheel drive. If you get rear ended... the damage at the rear is connected to the front and the engine."

I find that explanation unlikely. Sure the rear wheels are connected to the engine but the same is true for a standard rear-wheel drive vehicle. Besides, if you get rear ended hard enough to push the drive shaft into the engine (is that even a realistic possibility?) then odds are the vehicle is going to be totalled just from the body & frame damage alone.

I would be surprised if AWD factored into the rates at all, and if it does, it would only be a fraction of the overall rate.

The number one reason that rates go up is when the insurance companies detect a rising trend in the number of accidents reported. When the WRX debuted a year ago, owners experienced rates that were consistently either the same or lower than what they had been paying for their previous car. If your rates have gone up through no fault of your own, you should blame the "boy racer" types who lose control of their cars and total them, giving all WRX owners a bad reputation.

Just my .02

-Frank P.
  • Options
    stupendousmanstupendousman Member Posts: 36
    I agree with Frank. My Jeep Wrangler had 4wd and the insurance rates never got close to the WRX, even when the jeep was new.. I think the 227hp and the recent accident statistics on the WRX is what is making the rates high. When I bought my WRX last month, my sales guy told me that the WRX currently has the highest accident/cars on the road ratio. Sort of scary. I think a lot of people read the great reviews, overestimate the ability of AWD and drive down the road thinking they are invincible. Nothing about the car is unsafe (except that maybe it inspires overconfidence), but a lot of people are pushing them harder than they would otherwise.
  • Options
    rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    everybody who owns a WRX suffers, because of a bunch of idiot drivers...

Bob
  • Options
    with that. I think long term that the rates will eventually go down again. Hopefully there will be a collective understanding that although the WRX is exceptionally capable, it still can't save someone from their own stupidity. Then less accidents, and then lower rates.

Not to say that I am above all this. I will say that it takes some real willpower not to go crazy with the WRX. On top of that you have all these slammed hondas around egging you to race them. I got in one impromptu race a couple of weeks ago, and I promised myself I will never do such a sorry [non-permissible content removed] thing again. So stupid, so very stupid.
  • Options
    armac13armac13 Member Posts: 1,129
    there have been 6 fatalities within 5 km. of where I live, all attributable to street racing. Two of the deaths involved pedestrians. The last two were on the same weekend. Two separate incidents (I won't say accidents), both involving young female drivers. Needless to say, I am not impressed with street racing!!

Ross
  • Options
    Ross- I'm disappointed, I thought our friends to the north were more responsible and mature. :-)

-Frank P.
  • Options
    There is a rather substantial community close to me in which the *norm* is to give Grade 12 and recent high school graduates new high powered cars. These are primarily BMWs, Porsche Boxsters, and the ilk. Many are uh "slammed" I guess. I also noticed that the local I-club seems to have a lot of active participants although thankfully, to date, no Subarus seem to have been involved in the fatalities. Of the dead racers, the oldest was 22. One pedestrian was in her 70s, the other an out of town visitor in his 40s. There have been several convictions in these cases but the police are spread much too thinly to stop the activity, especially with cell phone scouts protecting these criminals.

Ross
  • Options
    ponmponm Member Posts: 139
    After two months of waiting, I picked up my 5 speed blue wrx wagon from the dealer yesterday. Love the car, hate the break in period wait. Patience is a virtue and I must wait. One question for anyone who can answer: At what rpm should the wrx idle at, mine is idling around 500rpm which to me seems a little low.
  • Options
    stevesr0stevesr0 Member Posts: 24
    Thanks, Colin - From your description, what I expect to see is the needle moving in proportion to the acceleration, and I DON't see that. Instead, it moves in a positive and then a negative direction even if I keep a constant throttle pressure.

I called the dealer and the salesman said he would have someone from service speak with me on Monday.

I will try that site you recommended also.

Steve
  • Options
    I don't think your car is really idling at 500. If you look closely, you will see that the tach does not go all the way down to zero. What seems to be 500 is actually 800.
    :-)

Ross
  • Options
    djasonwdjasonw Member Posts: 624
    I know I am a minority here since most of you have the 5 SP. I would have LOVED the 5 SP but since I am a Long Islander it would have been a royal pain. My last 5 Sp was a 1990 Integra which I LOVED but loathed in traffic. Having said this, let me tell you my first impressions. Please keep in mind that my daily driver for the last year has been mainly my 2001 Mercedes C320. The WRX handles better and feels better than my Mercedes (which incidentally is leased). Ironically there are only a few things I miss. One of them is so silly that you're going to think I'm nuts. I miss having the outside temperature indicator in the dash. It shows as being available in the manual but maybe it's not on the WRX. I am sure there is something aftermarket out there. Other than a few other gadgets that the Benz has, I can't see how my Mercedes is 20,000 more than the Subie. Oh.. I've already had some [non-permissible content removed] in a VR6 Passat try to race me. I had it up to 90 but didn't want to go past the critical RPM level. BTW... the auto is NOT that bad in this car. I also like the fact that it has the latest AWD system offered by Subaru. Anyone know how this AWD system compares to the Audi's?

Other things... hmmmm car handles wonderfully, the engine is very smooth for a four, and it is fairly quiet on the highway. Now I have the LONG wait to play in the snow next winter!!
  • Options
    locke2clocke2c Member Posts: 5,038
    Steve,

If you're keeping it at 4k or below that's exactly what you should see.

btw, max throttle to 4k and then lifting might be within the letter of the manual but it's not the intent. they want you to drive easy the first 1,000 miles, and full boost from 3k to 4k isn't easy... easier than full boost to redline, sure.

anyway in a bit of a rush now, explain more tomorrow if no one else has by then.

-Colin
  • Options
    cptpltcptplt Member Posts: 1,075
    IIRC its been mentioned before that the VTD system on the auto WRX is superior to the Audi quattro systems except for the ones in the 8 cylinder Audis.
    I pick up my MT WRX this week!
  • Options
    Dave- Sorry but the outside temp guage isn't available on the WRX. Why I don't know cause it's standard on the OBS (hence it being shown in the manual). It seems completely goofy to me that the top of the line model is missing a feature that is standard in other models. In fact, you'd think it would be simpler (and cheaper) for Subaru to just include it across the model line. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see them do that when the 03s come out.

-Frank P.
  • Options
    barresa62barresa62 Member Posts: 1,379
    Same goes for the heated seats and heated mirrors that are std in Canada on the WRX but not Stateside. This is one of the stupidest things SOA has done. Makes no sense any way I look at it. Does it bother me....what do you think? :-)

Stephen
  • Options
    those features should be on USA-spec models too.

Bob
  • Options
    WarpDriveWarpDrive Member Posts: 506
    Yup, the WRX is not perfect. They really should have included the temp gauge and rear power outlet.

And on the RS, you don't even get a interior trunk light?! That's really hitting below the belt.

As far as heated seats, they really should have included it at least as an option on US cars.

Having said that, we pay a big premium for our heated seats in Canada; the WRX MSRP is signficantly higher than other brands of cars. As an example, even though the US spec RSX-Type S priced similarly to the US WRX, the RSX-S is $4000 Cdn cheaper in Canada than our WRX! To top it off, the wagon is actually the same cost as the sedan, and the sedan you get the spoiler standard as a bonus.

So no more complaints from you Americans OK! :) I'm not in the least bit bitter :)
  • Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Man, lost my subscription for a while there. I was wondering what I was missing.

-juice
  • Options
    bluesubiebluesubie Member Posts: 3,497
    Congrats to the new Rex owners!

Dave - Oh no, another Dave! The Subaru board is full of them. :-) While in the NY area, tune your radio to 1010 or 880. That can be your outside temp. gauge. :-)

-Dennis
  • Options
    narenjinarenji Member Posts: 161
    Obviously Subaru cut some costs off the WRX by not including some of the things an Outback Sport has. But then again, the OBS doesn't have the 6 disc CD changer, the side airbags, the momo wheel or the larger brakes with rear discs, and of course the turbo drivetrain. I think the features that people mention should be at the least available as options on a US WRX. They have a whole lot of other worthless options like Upgraded speakers etc.
  • Options
    djasonwdjasonw Member Posts: 624
    Hmmm... I'll have to remember that. It's just those darned things you get used to. Believe me... I'll forget it in no time. This is probably the best car I've ever had and I used to have a 1996 A4 and still have a leased 2001 C320. I suppose that's saying alot. I just hope the word doesn't get out and I see myself coming and going!
  • Options
    keithllb1keithllb1 Member Posts: 30
    I think alot of people push the cars to the limits of their driving abilities. You can not take any car and push it hard on heavily traveled highways, it is an unnecessary risk that one shouldn't take. I like driving my car hard but I have yet to take it over 5000 rpm's, and I still get a thrill just driving the car in traffic. AWD is a nice thing, but the car with the stock Potenzas still has a tendancy to understeer a tad, when pushed hard in the corners. Better tires would mean a much nicer turning machine. I love this car but realize that it isn't a Formula 1 or WRC ready race car.
    P.S... it is hard to resist racing those morons in their tricked out Honda's and Toyotas.
  • Options
    The really dumb thing about racing the WRX is that you are not only putting your life and the life of others at risk by racing it, but you are also causing a lot of harm to your WRX if you dump the clutch (it being AWD and all).

I don't think that the boy racers fully understand the the WRX really isn't the car for them if they want to smoke people at the lights all day. Perhaps if we get the news out that they should be looking elsewhere for their stoplight jollies, we can get the insurance rates lower on the WRX.

In fact, I say that we start a "BUY WRX!" campaign for the elderly and expectant mothers. If we get enough of them to buy this quite practical AWD wagon, then maybe we will start seeing lower rates.
  • Options
    paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    If the boy racers don't buy it, you can bet it will probably be discontinued.

-mike
  • Options
    And it's not just the boy racers. There was a news story recently about a car salesman that pushed the Rex passed it's limits on a test drive.

IIRC, he was in his late 50's/early 60's and was trying to show the customer what the car could do. Unfortunately, they crashed and the salesman died.

-Dennis
  • Options
    Automotive Darwinism? Sad but true.

-juice
  • Options
    ...maybe age and demographic doesn't have all that much to do WRX stupidity. Maybe we need to implement an IQ test for WRX ownership...

...and WRX salepeople for that matter...
  • Options
    nah. people make mistakes. they learn from them, or they don't.

better driver training would help. how can you reasonably expect anyone that's never driven a car hard to be in perfect control the first time they do?

-Colin
  • Options
    No, but I'd expect them to try it around cones or somewhere else where a mistake is fairly harmless.

-juice
  • Options
    when one has never done something before, the natural tendency is often to think "ah that's not too hard" and sometimes it is.

-Colin
  • Options
    kenskens Member Posts: 5,869
    Just the other day, I passed a WRX wagon on the road and noticed that a older man in his 60s was driving! Could it have really been the owner?

Ken
  • Options
    mikenkmikenk Member Posts: 281
    You make me feel sooo old. I am 60 and own a silver WRX wagon; I sold a MKIV Supra to get it. Why can't old guys have fun too? I live in the country and love driving through the twisty country roads. I also go with my son to a track and drive with him in his Ferrari; so far he has refused to let me drive it except around town. Maybe he will let me on my 70th birthday.

I also have lived long enough to know that racing anybody on street roads is stupid and irresponsible.

Now if you will excuse me, I need to go take my metamucil.

Mike
  • Options
    I'm 3 years shy of 6-0, but still wish I owned one...

Bob
  • Options
    hondafriekhondafriek Member Posts: 2,984
    Is a state of mind, I will be sixty years old on Ist of April, and I am still a youngster in my mind.

My last car which went to my daughter was a heavily modded 1989 Honda Accord LXI.I owned this car until May of last year.

I am as much of a car nut now, if not more ,than I was in my teens.

Enjoying all things automotive is not the exclusive preserve of the so called young set, and I bristle at any suggestion otherwise.

Cheers Pat.
  • Options
    kenskens Member Posts: 5,869
    Mike, Pat: No offense intended to you fellas or anyone else in my previous post! I was really quite happy to see drivers other than some kid behind the wheel for a change. I even commented to my wife who was with me that it was "very cool".

I'm eyeing the WRX Wagon as my next possible purchase and I don't like the idea of it being associated with reckless driving. We need more drivers like you that are young at heart, but mature in reasoning.

Ken
  • Options
    keithllb1keithllb1 Member Posts: 30
    I love this car so much that I think we should start telling people to wave to each other if they happen to pass or go by someone in another WRX, who knows it might catch on like the wave at sports events. I think this car is appreciated by many car enthusiaists and speed freaks, and people that just plain really like all the things that the WRX, brings to the driver for under $25,000. I am 40 but sometimes feel more alive than I ever did when I was a reckless driving teenager! I do not condone driving the car to its limits on the highway, but that car was made to be driven fast and hard, while I think that many WRX drivers who like to drive aggressive should keep it at the Rally's and not a busy highway, thank God that they even give you a free membership to the SCCA. I can't wait to what that is all about. Keep the WRX spirit alive, Wave at all your fellow Rexer's.
  • Options
    saintvipersaintviper Member Posts: 177
    I find that I can beat just about any car from a stoplight with a normal launch. I've been ahead every time when I hit the speed limit and backed off. (Except for that lady in the minivan that got the jump on me.)
  • Options
    geobumgeobum Member Posts: 6
    When I was at the dealership on Saturday picking up my new WRX wagon, my salesman told me a story. Several months ago, an elderly couple was in there to buy a new Subaru. The husband strongly pushed the wife to get a WRX for herself. She did, and 3 months later she was back at the dealership trading it in on a Legacy. She said she was driving on the interstate, looked down, and she was doing 90mph without even realizing it. She totally freaked out, and drove straight to the dealership to trade it in. She didn't even tell her husband until she drove home in the Legacy. This is according to the salesman, and we all know how beliveable they are. Entertaining story anyway.
  • Options
    Friend of my mom's is looking into getting a WRX. She has always had a RWD T-bird or Lincoln and recently bought a sebring convertible, and hates the FWD and lack of power. So she is contemplating getting a WRX. She may also be co-driving my XT6 in auto-x! :)

-mike
  • Options
    hondafriekhondafriek Member Posts: 2,984
    More than once, some idiot has said to me isn,t it time you acted your age with regards to your cars, the reference plainly being as to how I choose to mod them.

When I ask the rhetorical question as to what age they think I should act I am met with blank stares.

I firmly believe you are as old as you feel and I hope I keep feeling as young as I do now until the day I die.

Cheers Pat. PS. a poster child for ageless with regards to things automotive is one Carroll Shelby.
  • Options
    vkwheelsvkwheels Member Posts: 218
    On the teensy-tiney test drive they do with the WRX, the young salesman said to me, an older woman, "this car will definitely add spice to your life". LOL!
  • Options
    seamus53seamus53 Member Posts: 13
    I thought I’d chime in on the subject of older WRX drivers ( or WRX dreamers). I won’t be buying till around this time next year. I’d posted this story over at i-club in response to a thread dealing with deciding between a WRX and a TS/OBS Wagon. After reading some recent messages here, I thought I’d post here as well.

Before I test drove the WRX, I’d thought that it might not be a good idea. I had limited myself to a new car priced right around the $20k mark. The OBS. I drove one, liked it a lot and figured that’s what I’d get come the 2003 model year. I thought then, and still do now, that the OBS is a great wagon. I thought I might end up feeling “buyer’s remorse” with an OBS if I drove a WRX Wagon. But it proved impossible to resist taking one out for a spin when it was sitting right there in front of me at the dealer. And sure enough, I did feel the OBS was lacking a certain something afterwards. Although the WRX had that somewhat weak feeling at low revs, I was used to that. I’d once had a 1988 Saab Turbo and was used to the off-boost feeling. And all the great things I’d remembered about the Saab Turbo, like the mid-range and passing power, were there in the WRX, but to a much greater degree. And of course, the handling of the WRX was light years ahead of the old Saab. But now that some time has passed, I feel that I’ll be a happy Subaru owner no matter which model I end up getting. If only the OBS had another 20 or 25 horse-power. Still, even as it sits now, the OBS suits my needs pretty well, and gives great value for the money. The practical side of me says that is what I should get.

It’s funny though. I’ve felt some “Turbo” pressure from what I’d have once thought was an unlikely source. A 65-year old gentlemen. A couple weeks ago, I was out for a Sunday morning motorcycle ride and stopped for coffee at a donut shop. While sitting by the window, a silver WRX Wagon pulls in, driven by an older, gray-haired guy. He comes in, gets his coffee and I complement him on his choice of vehicle. He sits down in the booth with me, and we start shooting the breeze, talking about bikes and cars. He tells me about riding a Harley in his youth and asks me about my Moto Guzzi LeMans. And I question him about his WRX. I tell him about my dilemma in trying to decide between the WRX and the OBS. Turns out he was a widower, 65 and had never really had what he called “fun” car in his life. He’d always had “family” cars. But now that he was by himself, he’d decided he deserved something special. He’d read about the WRX, driven the wagon, loved it on the spot, and bought one. He now goes out every day, just to drive somewhere, doesn’t matter where. He said he felt the WRX was a practical sports car that he could enjoy without “feeling foolish in it”, like he might if he were driving “some kid’s car”. Plus, he said, “It goes like stink”!! And he laughed out loud when telling me how “all the young dudes at the car wash really take extra care of me” when he stops by for a weekly wash. I asked if the REX helped him get girls. He laughed and said ”You’d be surprised”.

Anyway, as we’re sitting there, a red 2002 OBS pulls in, driven by a young mother with an infant child. First OBS I’d seen in the red. Very nice. I know how some folks feel about the two-tone, but I really like it in black, and the red one looked great too. Well, he says to me, “There’s the ladies model”! I cry foul and say, “Hey , wait one damn minute there”!! “That’s the model I was thinking of getting”!! Of course, he was only kidding and just trying to dig me a bit with the “ladies model” crack. No offense to all the happy OBS owners out there. I may be one of you before long. Or I may not. I’m still undecided. My new friend laughed and said, “Son…. life is too short”. “If you really want to get one of these wagons for yourself, young man (I’m 48), you simply must get the Turbo”. “You won’t be sorry”.

He was a great guy. I hope I have that kind of enthusiasm for all things as I gracefully grow older. It shows how the WRX has really changed folks perceptions of Subaru, even though the 2.5RS started the ball rolling a few years ago. The WRX seems to be able to be all things to all kinds of people, from the young to the not so young. I’ll be driving the 2003 OBS and WRX again before I make my decision, but I have to admit, “Turbo Power” beckons. Heck, the WRX really isn’t all “that” much more expensive, right? Sorry for the somewhat long post.
  • Options
    james, that's a great story.

I think you should spring for what you really want... in the grand scheme of things cars are a crappy investment and you're only tossing a few thousand more out the window so why not be happy?

My father is 46 and recently I traded vehicles with him for one day last week so I could use his 4Runner to haul some wheels and tires to FedEx. Two 30x20x25 boxes weighing 65lb each wouldn't go in my 1999 Impreza 2.5RS...

He has a Honda CBR 929 and paces me when we ride, so I had to ask him if he opened my car up a bit. It has coilovers, exhaust, cams, light porting, etc... at any rate not quite stock. He didn't say much at the time when I brought his 4Runner back.

Last night though, he admitted it was fun to drive and I asked if he took any corners aggressively-- "yep, all of 'em" was his reply. My wife asked if he redlined it at all... "yep, a number of times. it's responsive and fun, but not fast." Fair assessment. He should trade in the SUV for a WRX wagon. ;-)

-Colin
  • Options
    Great story! :)

Bob
  • Options
    Sounds like you have a neat dad—and he's 11 years "younger" than me... YIKES!

Bob
  • Options
    geobumgeobum Member Posts: 6
    Is it normal for the turbo gauge to read -0.5MPa at a constant speed of 75 in 5th gear on the interstate? Why shouldn't the boost be 0? Is my gauge broken?
  • Options
    mikenkmikenk Member Posts: 281
    As one of the old guys, my advice is get the WRX and don't look back. There will always be some level of buyer's remorse if you don't. Over time, you will forget the difference in price.

I seriously enjoy every drive. I even looked forward to having to go to the dentist the other day since she was 40 miles away. Unfortunately, my damn golf course is in my back yard; I am thinking of changing to a new course in another city.

Mike
  • Options
    I'm no turbo expert but my guess is that there is negative boost when you are just cruising along like that.

-mike
  • Options
    geobum,

yes it is very normal to see negative boost--vacuum-- when cruising. see my post in #1201 for more information.

-Colin
  • Options
    Great story! When I got my '97 OBS it was the most powerful Impreza available in the U.S., so I have an excuse. :-)

I'm thinking of getting a '03 WRX Wagon. Going on four test drives is making it tough to wait though.

-Dennis
This discussion has been closed.