Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru Impreza WRX Wagon

Comments

• stupendousmanstupendousman Member Posts: 36
    I also have about a 50 miles one way commute in my WRX. I think there are some pluses and minuses for the WRX as a commuter car.

Pluses:
    great steering wheel
    Great seats
    Great ergonomics
    Stiffer suspension (this is a plus to me, I get freaked out when a car "wallows.")

Minuses:
    It's somewhat quiet at highway speeds, but not great
    Steering. Its a stiff suspension and the steering is more sporting tuned. This creates a steering feel that can be a little "darty." That aspect makes it great for canyon carving, but bad for 80 mph freeway commutes in windy conditions. Just my own opinion, though.

I will say that it is a FAR FAR better commuter than my 1995 Jeep Wrangler. I would really recommend the quality, reliability and fun to drive factors of the WRX over your other option, the Passat. I just haven't have great Veedub experiences.
  • robmarchrobmarch Member Posts: 482
    the awd is definitely different between the auto and manual. Where do you get that the springs are "sportier" from?
  • lilbluewgn02lilbluewgn02 Member Posts: 1,089
    OH NO!!!!!
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    The springs may be stiffer, but not necessarily sportier.

I refuse to get into it again with AH cause he's hopeless.

-mike
    One of those hot button issues.

AH - could you post a link to this info so I can check it out with out wasting everyone else's time?

Thanks.
  • hunter001hunter001 Member Posts: 851
    Check the following link out (you would need to scroll down through the posts till you find the Spring specs differences):

http://www.i-club.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=161344

Later...AH

• locke2clocke2c Member Posts: 5,038
    AH, consider the relative performance lost -- let's keep it simple and say straightline acceleration-- between the automatic and manual Corvette. now consider the automatic vs. manual WRX.

Just consider it though and think what you want, because Serge and the rest don't feel like hearing your "automatics are fine, if not better" pitch yet again.

-Colin
  • lilbluewgn02lilbluewgn02 Member Posts: 1,089
    And I have an automatic!
    -Just Another Serge on Auto Pilot!-
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    I'm an auto-driver as well, and it's pretty much driver's choice on this.

-mike
  • ponmponm Member Posts: 139
    on the rota wheels. I have yet to make my decision, although the low price is very tempting. Thanks again.

-scott
  • gary32gary32 Member Posts: 3
    Thanks everyone for the helpful feedback. In the brief test drives I've taken it has been hard to get a sense of what it would be like living with a WRX on a daily basis. The fact that I live in Michigan adds to the appeal of this vehicle over the front wheel drive Passat that compares in price. Years ago I had a Legacy wagon with Blizzaks. That thing was unstoppable in the Winter but so boring the rest of the year. That's the beauty of the WRX. Practical/fun/economical. I just may go for it.
  • joseaoe1joseaoe1 Member Posts: 3
    I took a blue WRX wagon out for a drive today and was very impressed at how solid it felt and how well it handled. Although I was on my own, I felt guilty about pushing the revs above 4K given the 18 miles on the odometer; caving in to my guilt, I only caught some tantilizing impressions of what the turbo had to offer. I have a couple of questions: 1. Is the turbo covered by the 5 yr 60K powertrain warranty? The sales staff did not know. 2. Is the engine supposed to be "felt" at idle? I thought that the engine vibration seemed a bit excessive but reckon that this could just be a fact of life for the design. I am definitely interested in the WRX wagon. Right now, it is a toss up between the WRX and a CRV. I'm torn between the fun factor (WRX=very high, CRV=borrrring) and versatlity/cargo space.
    I've got a 2002 CRV in the family, and when my mother saw it and rode in it, she liked it so much she bought one for herself. She was driving a Pathfinder before. The CRV is a great mix of versatile comfortable seating and cargo, car like (though raised) ride, and decent performance. The torquey 4 cylinder is very smooth and feels pretty powerful on the highway and around town. For normal driving it's great, with AWD available for rain/snow added traction, and great crash test results. It's definitely worth every penny, I think, because it's significantly better than it's competitors at a lower price. And, it's from a reliable manufacturer.

BUT...

While it's fun to drive, it's not even remotely in the same driving class as the WRX wagon. If you haven't driven it yet, take the CRV on some back roads and decide if it is fun enough for you. I love driving mine (when my wife lets me:) but I'm still looking at the WRX wagon for myself, because I don't need as much cargo space and can push the scale more toward the sporting end.

I'd recommend the CRV to nearly anyone, but if you don't need the cargo room and very large seating space, and if you do appreciate a spirited back road drive, the WRX is a very compelling package. Do yourself a favor and drive both to compare. And, try the manual CRV also, if you can, for the sportiest version. My wife chose the automatic, which is not a big penalty in the CRV, but it is a little less sporty. You do get the nice armrests with the automatic, though.

Good luck with your choice!
  • bluesubiebluesubie Member Posts: 3,497
    While it may not make a difference to some people, the CRV has 100% power to the front wheels until after there is slip. All Subarus have some percentage of power to all wheels.

Too bad there's not a turbo Forester out. Yet, anyway. :-)

If a salesperson doesn't know whether or not the turbo is covered by the powertrain warranty, or doesn't even ask someone else, I would go to another dealer. AFAIK, it is covered.

-Dennis
    I saw a comparison between RS and WRX, but did I miss the comparison between Auto and Manual WRX?
    I found the info in the "comma" separated values :)
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Next summer there ought to be a Forester turbo with 217hp and good low-end torque characteristics. It's worth the wait.

The CR-V isn't bad, though. It totally feels like FWD, the one I tested even chirped the tires in 2nd gear, plus it had torque steer. If you are coming from an Integra or Civic it'll feel familiar, just a lot taller and roomier.

But the WRX is in a completely different class, 4-5 levels above and beyond in performance. And the wagon is only 1-2 levels down on practicality, a trade-off I'd be willing to make.

-juice
  • barresa62barresa62 Member Posts: 1,379
    CRV vs WRX:
    "But the WRX is in a completely different class, 4-5 levels above and beyond in performance. And the wagon is only 1-2 levels down on practicality, a trade-off I'd be willing to make."

Well put...exactly my thoughts. :-)

Stephen
  • stoner420stoner420 Member Posts: 165
    Just picked up my shiny new red wagon... AHAHAHAHAHA!!!! I love it!! (damn 1000 mile breakin period..!@#$!@$#)
    It'll be the longest 999 miles of your life.

Congrats, though!

-juice
  • swampdakswampdak Member Posts: 2
    Well I took a wagon for a test ride to-day, and I have to say that pretty well everything I have read about the WRX is true.I loved everything except for two things.1- first gear is way to tall, it takes a lot of care to work the clutch properly. I am not saying it is impossible, just a little disappointed.2- I am afraid my but might be to big for the seat, I noticed the support against my thigh, and wonder if it would be a problem after lots of miles.
    But what a great car!!The shifter is only a slight wrist movement,the traction and handling are mind boogling,leg room and headroom are great,and general driving sensation is just plain fun.

But I find to try and accelerate from a dead stop with any force,the traction seems to overpower the motor(gearing to tall?).

However everything else is so great I could overlook this small detail,and the dealer assures me my lard but would get used to the seat.

rex's (talking the talk already)cost 35,000 here in Canadian funds.
    I guess its decision time!
    I say get comfy first, that's such an important part of the ownership experience. There's always Sparco, though. :-)

Maybe drive another model to see if that one was hesitating?

-juice
  • digidawgdigidawg Member Posts: 7
    Paisan and Frank,

Hey, thanks for the candor and the insight. I know that the dealership won't be drilling holes in the car and that the exterior product being offered is not just a wax. That said, you may very well right that it was a needless expense.

I will say that on the "rust through caused by salt" issue, I was shown the manufacturers warranty (unless that was a farce) where it clearly stated that salt damage was not covered. The package that I purchased did cover salt damage, and has been advocated locally by a scribe that most people feel is pretty sharp. We take the Rex in Tuesday for these final tweaks and I think that I'll offer up some of your pearls before we start. (if we start) (grin)

Another question for the gang; we have a large dog (70lbs) who can fit in the back with the seats up but its a little snug for him. As well, he'd rather be closer to us, so the seats will probably be folded down for his ease of movement. We purchased the cargo mat for the wagon, but that does not extend to cover the back of the seats when they are folded down. I'd like to protect the seat backs with a nice factory looking cover, but I'm assuming that I'll need to just tuck a blanket back there or something. Anybody know of a workaround?

Thanks - love the car and the atmosphere of the group here

DigiDawg
  • carnut_since77carnut_since77 Member Posts: 1
    Before I start I have to say that the group of people on this post offering advise and comments has got to be the nicest group I have ever seen. That is good seeing as I am going to be placing my order for my WRX wagon in the next few days.
    In response to the last post regarding the "rustproofing" and "clear coat". I can tell you as a former Asst. Service Manger at a dealership and over 5 years in my short life working at a dealership, that unfortunately it was an unneeded expense. You can purchase the same products and put them on yourself for less than $100.
    However, they can be a good asset to you if in the future you do have any rust issues. If there are any problems in the future you can usually make a case with the dealership you purchased from along the lines of "I was told this would cover any problems with paint", etc. I know the dealership I worked at last re painted a couple of cars with the clear coat or sealant because they were told it would protect against fading better than without it. It doesn't. It is essentially a permanent wax that must be re applied at least once a year.
    Other than that I am very excited to place my order, and hope that some of you may be able to help me decide on any upgrades for performance that have hurt/helped you.
  • p0926p0926 Member Posts: 4,423
    DigiDawg- By golly you're right. I checked and Subaru's rust warranty excludes alot of things including salt. Although it doesn't specifically list "road salt" (as opposed to salt water) so I'm not sure if that would be covered or not. However, it does state that all Subarus are designed to resist rust and that any additional protection is solely a matter of individual owner preference. So how much is this additional peace of mind costing you?

-Frank P.
    Most of the panels are double-galvanized and should do well. I think only the roof isn't. The hood is aluminum so you're good to go.

-juice
  • nixomosenixomose Member Posts: 95
    I noticed this too (somebody mentioned it above) sometimes at 500 rpm idling, the car sorta wobbles. It's rare, and only at idle. I don't care much, but it's very noticable when it does happen.
    (then again, I don't idle very often :-)
  • stoner420stoner420 Member Posts: 165
    That's just the car's way of telling you "WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR? HIT THE GAS!!" :-)
  • digidawgdigidawg Member Posts: 7
    Hey Frank and crew...

The added coating is an extra $500. Its a ten year bumper to bumper warranty on rust. Anything rusts? - it gets replaced (including salt damage)

I double-checked with Subaru directly on this issue and we received several nice e-mails relating to our decision. To wit; this process will not void our warranty, and, while Subaru believes that they have great rust coverage, they don't deal with salt damage. So, although I'd rather keep the $500.00, I'm feeling that with the overall deal we got on the car, this was a good after market addition (considering our climate)

Subaru was also great in helping with our other request for a full coverage liner in the back. They told us that while they don't make a cover like this and are unaware of any after market people who do, they would pass it up the ladder as something that might be considered in future models.

The big depressor here is that I've been without the car for two days and I'm really missing my Rex. If its bad now, I'm fearful as to what will happen after the first thousand miles tick off.

I'm waaaaaaaiiiiiiiting......

DigiDawg
  • gaspasser2gaspasser2 Member Posts: 44
    Hello everyone,

It's been a long time since I've posted. I have to say that my WRX platinum sports wagon simply kicks [non-permissible content removed]. I didn't add any extra tires or wheels etc. It comes ready to kick [non-permissible content removed] as it is. I've thoroughly enjoyed it so far. It's almost a year now since I've bought my car and has now logged 14,500 miles. I got a speeding ticket once back in Nov. after having no speeding violation citation for 10 yrs. For those of you who owns one, I'm sure you can understand. For those wondering if they should buy the Subaru WRX, I say just go for it. You won't be dissappointed.

Now, has anyone heard when the latest version of the WRX coming to the U.S.? I don't think I'll ever get enough of this car.

Happy and SAFE driving everyone!
  • dellwelldellwell Member Posts: 27
    Hello All. I have been looking for some info on the TS wagon and have not been able to find much. Could anyone give me the run down on the major differences between the TS wagon and the RS sedan? I know this is a WRX board, but I am hoping that I could find some info here. I am looking for a car to commute to work with as my current SUV is very thirsty. All-wheel drive is something I am very interested in but not at the price the WRX is at. The TS wagon is in the range I would be willing to spend on a car. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks….
    TS is the only Impreza with 15" rims, plus they are steel with wheel covers vs. alloy. It also uses drum brakes in the back vs. rear discs.

OTOH, it has the same engine, and ABS and AWD are standard, plus the power stuff. And the price makes it a great value (about $17k street price).

I imagine the rear sway bar is thinner, but that's an easy $100 upgrade. Plus you could get take-off WRX rims for about $400 or so from i-Club classifieds. That would make for a performance bargain, if you ask me.

-juice
  • fxsfxs Member Posts: 50
    Just ordered T-O 16" wheel from the tirerack today for $79. $90 including UPS shipping.
    That's a steal. The $400 above might even include slightly used tires.

-juice
    that's a good price. take off '98 RS rims were $115 a few years back when TR had them. they are wider though, I suppose.

-Colin
  • hypovhypov Member Posts: 3,068
    I got the WRX take-off for $380 w/tires (5900 miles) for the '99 OBS.
    Didn't recognise the car after the wheels were put on. :)

-Dave
  • rblelandrbleland Member Posts: 312
    Noted your comments at #1981 above and figured I might be able to help a bit, especially since we are both in Canada. I did the same exchange in March - got rid of 2000 Toyota 4Runner and got the TS wagon. Mine is met. black pearl, 5 spd, and I got 4 additional steel wheels (cheap,used) and added 4 Yoko. snows. Kept the Potenzas on the original wheels. Looked at a alloy upgrade but haven't done it yet. Also added cargo net, cargo cover and cargo tray and front air deflector. My price was basically MSRP plus the cost of several of the add-ons noted. The Cdn. MSRP is about $23K with PDI/freight in (all but sales tax). It is slightly cheaper in Canada than the U.S. but the U.S. car comes with a few extras over the Cdn TS, eg. no roof rails in Cdn. I have about 4600 KM on the TS now and I enjoy the car a lot. IMO, the 2.5 RS is less practical (sedan vs wagon) and not worth the extra $. You can add sway bars, alloys, etc as juice mentioned above. The WRX, while great, is about $12K more than the TS in Canada and I agree with you assessment of value. Hope this helps.
    Rick
    Thanks for the info on the TS wagon. I had a couple of questions about this car. What is the interior like? Similar to the RS interior or very different? What has your MPG been overall? Did you have trouble finding the car you wanted or are they readily available? I would like a similar car to yours but in white. I haven’t been to the dealer yet as I am trying to get as much info on the car before I start to talk to some dealers. Glad to hear that you are enjoying the TS. Thanks again…
    $380 with tires is a bargain.

-juice
    The TS interior is pretty comparable to that of the RS. I did not shop/look at the RS very carefully as I was not getting a sedan. I have no problems w the interior at all; and find the seats quite supportive. I recently did a Vancouver-Kelowna trip all in one sitting; it's about 400 kms and did not stop at all. I found the seat fine on that - and I have had to stop with other vehicles in the past. My mileage has been in the 26/27 Canadian MPG range, and 32/33 hiway. I tend to drive slightly aggresively/fast which could eat up a bit of gas. Requires only regular 87 octane. Finding one in white should be realatively easy; my local dealer presently has several TSs and there are others at other dealers w/in 50 miles or so. I do doubt you can get for less than MRSP but you could try (or get some "goodies" thrown it gratis). Good luck!
    Rick
    I think the TS lacks cruise, right? No big deal, though, in fact I had cruise added to my 1998 Forester L (the only year Forester that lacked cruise as standard) for a couple hundred bucks.

Maybe cross bars, too. But minor stuff, the basics are all there.

-juice
    Thank you very much for that information. I will go look at one this weekend and see how it gets my attention. I would like a wagon, as it is practical and thus I have been looking at the Pro5. I also have been thinking about the new Corolla S. But if I can get an AWD car for a decent price that would definitely be the way to go. And at 165 horses, I think the TS will be plenty of car for my needs. Thanks all for the info. Happy motoring…
    Also check out a Legacy L wagon, which are good values, only slightly more than the smaller TS.

-juice
    Yes, juice is right - no cruise on the TS. I don't miss it with a 5 spd., but others may disagree. I also looked at the Pro5 but got the TS because of AWD, more hp and torque and handling just as good. The Pro5 is a nice package for the money but, depending on where you live, the AWD and extra power give the TS the edge IMO. If you are looking at the Corolla S, that's a different approach to getting "utility". Not a bad car, but only 125 hp and more $ than TS. I looked at Matrix at Toyota also (more like Ts in utility) but rejected due to low power, funny driving position and red quages (among other things). Reliability of Subie, Toy and Mazda should all be good. Happy test drives!
    Rick
  • ctwrx1ctwrx1 Member Posts: 34
    This question is for those of you who get a chance to drive your 5 speed WRX wagons on long, steep-hilled back roads. We have a number of hilly roads near our small town in Connecticut with 45 mile an hour speed limits. During break-in I was careful to avoid lugging the engine, taking long hills in fourth. Yesterday, on a ride back from Rhode Island the car was pulling hills in fifth with three passengers as long as I started the hills at 50 mph. Of course I had to apply extra throttle. The engine seemed happy enough and held 50 mph to the top of all but the steepest hills. However, if the revs dropped below 2000 rpm I would have to downshift, fast.
    I tend to keep the revs low, in general, to get maximum gas mileage but rarely lug the engine around 2000 rpm unless on level ground with light throttle. What do you think about pulling hills @ 5o mph/ 2000 rpm with heavier throttle? Dropping a gear for hills seems like the way to go but is the engine just as happy if it can maintain the same speed from bottom to top?
    No it is not happy. Load on the engine is MUCH higher in the tall gear. I'm surprised you weren't hearing detonation.

Downshift and save the strain on the engine.

Max gas mileage does not occur in the tallest gear. Max gas mileage for a given speed occurs when the throttle is open the least, which for a WRX at anything above 20MPH is NOT going to be 2k rpm. That's lugging and you're using more throttle to do it. Keep the revs at least 2500, near 3000 even.

-Colin
  • gary32gary32 Member Posts: 3
    Thanks to all who offered feedback to my question about the daily commutability of the WRX on longer drives. I placed my deposit on a black wagon that should arrive around June 10th. Very exciting. Given my long highway commutes, and the reports of thin paint on the Rex, I am planning to have StonGard installed, to avoid the need for frequent touch ups in vulnerable areas. Has anyone actually seen this product in person? I have not. The installer I spoke with says it is most visible on black and red cars, especially at a distance of five feet or less. Granted, most of us don't buy this car for its beauty, but that did give me some concern.

Gary
    I've seen it on a number of cars and yes on a black one. I don't know if it was professionally done or not, but it was pretty obvious on a black Civic Si.

Better than stone chips though, and you will get plenty of those with Subaru paint.

-Colin
  • brekkebrekke Member Posts: 304
    what revs are best for the 2.5L for best mileage? If I am going to be cruising on level ground @ say, 45mph sometimes I shift into 5th because I thought that saves gas. Should I also not go below 2500rpms? Pls. explain, I am ignorant in such matters. Thanks!
    caroline,

the throttle is your best judge unless you have a gauge reading what the injectors are doing. most cars don't so you'd need an OBD II scanner to see it.

anyway on flat ground, yes 5th gear could easily be the right gear for the lower geared, more torquey 2.5L at 45MPH. 45MPH through large hills, no I bet 4th is going to be better.

if it takes more throttle input, you're not saving gas! I know someone who lugged his '99 2.5RS around in 5th gear at 30mph until I showed him the light.

-Colin
This discussion has been closed.