Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to learn more!
Options

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• Options
    houdini1houdini1 Member Posts: 8,328
    No two cars are the same. If I had driven one and found that I liked it, I would want to stick with that one. If I drove the replacement car and found it satisfactory, I wouldn't make a big fuss, but maybe ask for a free set of floor mats, etc.

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

• Options
    isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    " No two cars are the same"

Really? In almost 14 years of selling new Hondas I was never able to spot one iota of difference between any of the cars.

Stores like to rotate their inventory just like grocery stores like to sell the oldest gallon of milk first so we always tried to sell the longest in stock first which just makes sense.

Things tend to happen to old age units. We call it "lot rot". This doesn't make the cars "bad" but it's just smart to sell the oldest units first.

The mistake that store made was showing the customer the fresher car first. To me it wouldn't have been a big deal and I wouldn't have cared.

I'm guessing the customer put them through a tremendous grind session and the Sales Manager finally caved in and said..." OK, I'll do the deal but make sure you sell him the oldest unit in the color he wants"
  • Options
    abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,258
    edited January 2015
    " No two cars are the same" Really? In almost 14 years of selling new Hondas I was never able to spot one iota of difference between any of the cars. Stores like to rotate their inventory just like grocery stores like to sell the oldest gallon of milk first so we always tried to sell the longest in stock first which just makes sense. Things tend to happen to old age units. We call it "lot rot". This doesn't make the cars "bad" but it's just smart to sell the oldest units first. The mistake that store made was showing the customer the fresher car first. To me it wouldn't have been a big deal and I wouldn't have cared. I'm guessing the customer put them through a tremendous grind session and the Sales Manager finally caved in and said..." OK, I'll do the deal but make sure you sell him the oldest unit in the color he wants"
    I haven't heard the phrase "LOT-ROT" in many years.  The first thing to go on a "LOT-ROT" vehicle is the battery.  We used to have a dozen batteries on hand to quickly exchange dead or undercharged batteries in inventory cars.  First we would get the Jumper Box to get the car started.  After the demo drive, the battery was immediately replaced and the battery put on a charging unit for 24 hours.  We rotated those dozen batteries for quite some time - all of them new but dead or not enough juice to turn the engine over.

Another LOT-ROT result was flat tires or tires that became a bit out of round from sitting on the lot for months without being moved.

Thst is why I insisted that the salemen demo old inventory cars, not new.

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    driver100driver100 Member Posts: 32,008
    edited January 2015

Mike said:
    The 6 Series Grand Coupe is almost identical to the CLS in terms of poor side and rear view visibility
    I was thinking about that when I checked out these models. They are beautiful from the outside, but that interior makes vision difficult, and not much light coming through either. You have to feel much better with the great vision you are getting with the E400.

I also noticed the interiors on the BMW 3 and 5 Series although nice, aren't nearly as nice as the Mercedes. The MB C Class and E Class have a much more luxurious look to them. I am so glad I checked the MB before buying.

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

• Options

"

I'm guessing the customer put them through a tremendous grind session and the Sales Manager finally caved in and said..." OK, I'll do the deal but make sure you sell him the oldest unit in the color he wants"

I would just add, if the dealer was honest it wouldn't have been an issue. All he had to say was, You are getting the car at a ridiculously low price, I can only do it if you take this identical (older) car instead, as we have to rotate our inventory. Unless, they already did the deal, and then switched after, thinking he wouldn't notice the different VIN number....in that case it was the wrong thing to do. Understandable, but just wrong.

btw, I have experienced different driving cars that should have been the same. When we test drove a 2012 bmw the clutch didn't engage until about half way down making it awkward to drive. Another one was fine. I would never have taken one with a clutch I didn't like.

• Options
    Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,985
    It still is a bit of a fraud, and then to try to make excuses just added insult to injury. The guy was right and the store screwed up big time. Personally, I probably would've just said let's forget it and move on. Trust is something that should be built in with this kind of relationship and they blew it, big time. Why reward folks who aren't honest with the sale? I know when I bought my Golf last month, I looked at the mileage and wanted that unit, heck, I even gave the vin to my insurance guy over the phone to get things started. I would've been pretty pissed if they swapped out units on me for sure!
    Never thought about it but batteries and tires can be compromised sitting so long in one spot...and also, I'd want the latest unit that came off the assembly line just in case some new things came out since they started production.

The Sandman :)B)

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,525
    @dino001‌

Oh I'm not complaining about the price I paid for my Legacy at all. I heard about the 2% under invoice deal while I was dong my research. I think our friend with the JKUS told me about it. Subaru also has something called a "guaranteed trade in program." After 1 year of ownership, I'll be able to get my car's exact trade in value online. If I want it before 1 year, there is a number I can call.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    nyccarguy said:

@dino001‌

Oh I'm not complaining about the price I paid for my Legacy at all. I heard about the 2% under invoice deal while I was dong my research. I think our friend with the JKUS told me about it. Subaru also has something called a "guaranteed trade in program." After 1 year of ownership, I'll be able to get my car's exact trade in value online. If I want it before 1 year, there is a number I can call.

Speaking of trade in value I just saw an ad on TV for a dealer in the Tampa area who will give you a trade-in price on line, which you can do from home. I'd like to know how that works....I am going to try to find out what dealer it is. It is an interesting option........surprised they would offer that, and how do they offer enough to make someone come in, but allow for people who think their car is a lot more valuable than it is?

• Options
    edited January 2015
    @driver100 said:

"Speaking of trade in value I just saw an ad on TV for a dealer in the Tampa area who will give you a trade-in price on line, which you can do from home. I'd like to know how that works....I am going to try to find out what dealer it is. It is an interesting option........surprised they would offer that, and how do they offer enough to make someone come in, but allow for people who think their car is a lot more valuable than it is?"

The trade value amount is most likely subject to adjustment based upon physical inspection of the trade vehicle.  That is the dealer's escape clause.  That is probably why they will be on the high end for cash value - they just lower the value if the car is not in showroom new condition, if you get my drift.

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    Everybody focuses on a different part of their car deal. Mike is able to buy his Mercedes at thousands under invoice, puts very little miles on them over the course of a year, then is able to get top trade in value because his cars are literally perfect. I usually try and focus most on the price of the new car as I know I'll get average trade in value due to the miles I put on the car. Special buying programs help me out tremendously.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    oldbearcatoldbearcat Member Posts: 197

abacomike said:

Got news from my son that the last MRI he had last week shows that the malignant tumor has dissipated and cannot be seen on the MRI.  What a great Christmas gift!  He has one more radiation treatment this Friday and after that, just checkups - 1st checkup in 3 months then every six months after that.  He has a full-body MRI in 2 weeks to develop a base for future MRI's.  Hopefully his white blood cell count will return to normal eventually.

You have no idea what a relief it is to know that your son won't die of brain cancer.  They caught it early enough, it would appear, and had good doctors and oncological radiologists.  This proton radiation is only successful in eliminating malignant tumors of the brain in a fraction of the cases reported.  Thank you, Lord, for your blessings.

That's great news! I'm fighting colon cancer right now, and, hope I get good results too when all is said and done. I'm recuperating from the chemo and radiation treatment now, and, meet with surgeon on the 15th to schedule next step.

Regards:
    Oldbearcat

Oldbearcat...you can and WILL beat this! Prayers going out!
    Isell & The rest of you:

Thank you for your thoughts and prayers - I really appreciate your support. I got checked by the Chemo Doc this afternoon, and, he seemed satisfied on how the treatment is progressing so far. I don't have to see him again until after the surgery.

Thanks again:
    Oldbearcat
  • Options
    @abacomike‌

Great news about Justin!

@oldbearcat‌

You'll pull through this!

• Options
    nyccarguy said:
    @abacomike‌ Great news about Justin! @oldbearcat‌ You'll pull through this!
    Thanks Bradd!

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 33,041

Things tend to happen to old age units. We call it "lot rot". This doesn't make the cars "bad" but it's just smart to sell the oldest units first.

OK, well, I can buy that. Thanks for the explanation.

Driver100 - I agree with you they should have just said it up front. "You've got a deal, but it has to be on this unit here."

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,191

Never thought about it but batteries and tires can be compromised sitting so long in one spot...

That's probably why dealers move their vehicles around putting different models in the front line and rearranging the other rows regularly. Lot boys start the cars and run them long enough to charge the batteries and moving them changes the part of the tire that's on the ground.

Recent car purchase with the shortest battery life was one that was on the showroom floor and people ran the windows up and down and the seats. Then the battery was recharged with a trickle charger. I don't know how long the car was on the floor. I never checked the build date. Had to be less than 2 months.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• Options
    ray80ray80 Member Posts: 1,655
    abacomike said:

Another LOT-ROT result was flat tires or tires that became a bit out of round from sitting on the lot for months without being moved.

Ha, The out of round thing reminded me of the one time I had jury duty and was on a case. Vehicle owner caused the trouble themselves by letting truck (perhaps loaded) sit for a year without driving it. Things got ugly when they went the wrong wayaround getting it corrected
  • Options
    edited January 2015

Really? In almost 14 years of selling new Hondas I was never able to spot one iota of difference between any of the cars.

With your experience I am very surprised to see you say that. Identical new cars may look the same, but that certainly doesn't mean they drive the same.

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

• Options
    Great news Mike...Hang in there oldbearcat.

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

• Options
    robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805

Never thought about it but batteries and tires can be compromised sitting so long in one spot...

That's probably why dealers move their vehicles around putting different models in the front line and rearranging the other rows regularly. Lot boys start the cars and run them long enough to charge the batteries and moving them changes the part of the tire that's on the ground.

Recent car purchase with the shortest battery life was one that was on the showroom floor and people ran the windows up and down and the seats. Then the battery was recharged with a trickle charger. I don't know how long the car was on the floor. I never checked the build date. Had to be less than 2 months.

Surprising. Usually windows don't work unless the key is in the car. I could see if someone left the dome light on.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    Driving a Passat TSI loaner today, white over beige, and it's a nice vehicle. Has the same 1.8t engine that we have in the A3 and Golf and scoots it around pretty well though I can tell it's a much heavier vehicle as my Golf seems so much quicker. Think the 2.0t would be a better fit in this vehicle but suppose VW has their reasons here. I do know that it is thirstier by looking at the petrol dial move. I have to bring it back with 7/8 like I got it so am not driving much today. Guy at the Publix supermarket thought it was a new vehicle because it is sharp looking in this color combo. Almost got the exact combo on my Golf but since the wife's A3 is white over black, didn't want 2 white vehicles and the blue was so much nicer to be honest.

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• Options
    jayriderjayrider Member Posts: 3,602

Driving a Passat TSI loaner today, white over beige, and it's a nice vehicle. Has the same 1.8t engine that we have in the A3 and Golf and scoots it around pretty well though I can tell it's a much heavier vehicle as my Golf seems so much quicker. Think the 2.0t would be a better fit in this vehicle but suppose VW has their reasons here. I do know that it is thirstier by looking at the petrol dial move. I have to bring it back with 7/8 like I got it so am not driving much today. Guy at the Publix supermarket thought it was a new vehicle because it is sharp looking in this color combo. Almost got the exact combo on my olf but since the wife's A3 is white over black, didn't want 2 white vehicles and the blue was so much nicer to be honest.

Had it up to 85 mph yet ? I know I would have. B)

• Options
    henrynhenryn Member Posts: 4,289

Driving a Passat TSI loaner today, white over beige, and it's a nice vehicle. Has the same 1.8t engine that we have in the A3 and Golf and scoots it around pretty well though I can tell it's a much heavier vehicle as my Golf seems so much quicker. Think the 2.0t would be a better fit in this vehicle but suppose VW has their reasons here. I do know that it is thirstier by looking at the petrol dial move. I have to bring it back with 7/8 like I got it so am not driving much today. Guy at the Publix supermarket thought it was a new vehicle because it is sharp looking in this color combo. Almost got the exact combo on my olf but since the wife's A3 is white over black, didn't want 2 white vehicles and the blue was so much nicer to be honest.

“Think the 2.0t would be a better fit in this vehicle but suppose VW has their reasons here.”

I have my doubts about that. My ex-wife bought a new 2008 Passat with the 2.0t engine. I found it for her, she drove it and fell in love. Several years later, she wanted to buy another one. But she couldn’t, they don’t make it. And the 1.8t is just not the same, not even close in my estimation and hers. So now she has a Camaro SS convertible!

But I can guarantee you that VW lost at least one sale over that choice. And I suspect they lost a great many more for the same reason.

2023 Chevrolet Silverado, 2019 Chrysler Pacifica
  • Options
    Just have driven it to the supermarket and back home...unlike other dealership loaners I've had, VW expects the car to come back with the same amount of petrol in the tank. Have never had this situation before with a loaner, figured if you didn't go crazy, they'd just write it off but with VW, this isn't the case. No biggie, will just put a gallon or two in before I return it...in the Jetta last week, put in 1 gallon and it brought it up to the level I got it with. I'll do the same later once they call and tell me it's done...luckily am off tomorrow if they keep mine overnight but doubt they will.

• Options
    Speaking of lot rot, our store was using a off site private lot to park excess inventory. We didn't know this but
    there were a long row of trees behind the lot. In springtime, tons of tree sap got blown into the lot and on top of the cars.

Now, this tree sap was nasty to remove and in some cases, it actually etched the paint. this wasn't apparent unless you looked right down on the paint at a certain angle.

Not a problem! We had a "scratch and dent" sale and these cars quickly sold to people who didn't care!
  • Options
    Have an interesting question here. What if they say they can not find a problem with the car, what if they say there's nothing to fix and that the shaking issue is normal? How do I respond if they say sorry, we can not find a thing wrong here. Do I go to another VW store? Do I call the corporate office and make a complaint? What would I do here? Personally, I think the easiest solution here is to just swap out the wheels and tires from another vehicle and see if the shaking and vibration goes away. Or drive another model like mine and see if it also shakes. If it doesn't, just swap the wheels and tires and let me be on my way and deal with the problem wheels/tires at a later date. They need to get me back on the road with the problem gone.
    Personally, I hope they find the problem and solve it...I want my vehicle back with no vibration/shaking issue as I'm tired of this nonsense. I want this done now!!!

The Sandman :@ B)

• Options
    houdini1 said:

With your experience I am very surprised to see you say that. Identical new cars may look the same, but that certainly doesn't mean they drive the same.

Well, I disagree but I respect your opinion.
  • Options
    They just called...they said all is fine! They are blaming the road I take, the suspension, whatever. They insist this won't hurt the tires so that's that. The guy said he felt the seat shaking but it's nothing to worry about and the tires won't wear out at an early time frame. So, they are done here! Personally, it seems odd to me. Even told them that we have the Audi A3 with same size wheels and tires and no shaking/vibration at all at the same speeds and they said the Audi is tuned differently, blah, blah, blah.
    Am not happy here but nothing else I can do it seems.

The Unhappy Sandman :(B)

• Options
    jayriderjayrider Member Posts: 3,602

Have an interesting question here. What if they say they can not find a problem with the car, what if they say there's nothing to fix and that the shaking issue is normal? How do I respond if they say sorry, we can not find a thing wrong here. Do I go to another VW store? Do I call the corporate office and make a complaint? What would I do here? Personally, I think the easiest solution here is to just swap out the wheels and tires from another vehicle and see if the shaking and vibration goes away. Or drive another model like mine and see if it also shakes. If it doesn't, just swap the wheels and tires and let me be on my way and deal with the problem wheels/tires at a later date. They need to get me back on the road with the problem gone.
    Personally, I hope they find the problem and solve it...I want my vehicle back with no vibration/shaking issue as I'm tired of this nonsense. I want this done now!!!

It will get fixed -- relax.
  • Options
    Well, no, it's not getting fixed!!! Supposedly, it's normal and I have to live with it!!!

• Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 243,533

Here's my take ... the problem is either with the tires/wheels or with the suspension of the car.

I'm guessing you never drove your Golf with the original wheels/tires, only with the swapped set from the TDI. If so, then what you suggest should narrow the problem down. Put on a different set of wheels/tires onto your car, test drive. If there is no shaking, then problem solved. Dealer should then put the wheels/tires onto another car and see if it shakes/vibrates. If so, there is a problem with a wheel or tire that needs to be resolved.

If, however, putting on a new set of wheels/tires onto your car does not solve the problem, then there may be an issue with the suspension (same as with graphicguy's CTS). The dealer will have to look at the suspension bits to see if anything is amiss.

One question ... have they swapped ends with the tires/wheels on your car? Meaning, put the front tires on the rear wheels and vice versa? If so, did the source of the shaking/vibration move from one end of the car to the other? That might also be a sign of a bad wheel/tire.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,195
    Easiest thing to try is to see if they will let you drive another Golf like your over the roads that you feel the vibration on when traveling. That will at least tell you (and them) that they either are, or are not, all like that.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
    edited January 2015
    Our store once sold a Del Sol to a VERY large woman. Shortly after the sale she brought it back saying
    it leaked water in the rain. We couldn't find any leaks. After the 4th or 5th time she brought it back, she brought her "partner" in with her. Between the two of them they probably tipped the scales at over 600 pounds!

Her much tattooed partner got downright nasty and vulgar with the Service Manager! After speaking with Honda Corporate they were directed to the Owners Manual which stated there was a (I think) 400 pound weight limit for the front seats!

They let those two huge women drive the Del Sol through our car wash and sure enough, it DID leak!

The body actually flexed enough to cause a gap in the front seal where the top met the windshield!
  • Options
    edited January 2015

The body actually flexed enough to cause a gap in the front seal where the top met the windshield!

Now that's a lot of flex for no more than two people in the car. But it is a specialty car--I occasionally see one
    being driven to school if I go get coffee early enough that I'm on the road with the high school crowd. A young
    eastern guy and a sister drive it. I think my son used to be friends with an older brother in the family.

We couldn't find any leaks. After the 4th or 5th time she brought it back, she brought her "partner" in with her. Between the two of them they probably tipped the scales at over 600 pounds!

Did the salesman mention the weight limit before he sold the car to the purchaser? Could be
    a suit there. :grin

And I want to hear how the person broke the news to them after tactfully asking them to both
    drive the car through the car wash to test for weight flex? That had to be a very carefully worded
    statement.

But you don't say anything about how this was resolved? Take it as a trade in at a good value
    for another vehicle?
    Sell them another del Sol so they can drive separately and not max the weight limit?

• Options
    yes, please tell the rest of that story! I'm very interested what they did about it.

Sandy - I agree you should ask for a loaner of the same car and drive it on the roads in question. At least you'll know what's "normal" at that point. And, yes, then I'd go to a different dealer and I'd take a drive with a tech in the passenger seat and make sure they feel it, too.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    henrynhenryn Member Posts: 4,289
    Dealership service departments do vary, and by quite a bit.

In 1994 I bought a left over 1993 Chevrolet ¾ ton custom van. This was my wife’s daily driver. At 4k miles, I noticed wear on the front tires, and took it back to the dealer (original selling dealer). They performed a front end alignment, said all was now good. At 10k miles, the front tires were worn out. I once again returned to the dealer. They put on a new set of front tires (on their nickel), and performed another front end alignment.

I went straight from the dealership to a Goodyear store where I happened to know the manager. He put the van up on the alignment rack, and told me it was rather badly out of alignment. Either the alignment rack at the dealership was totally screwed, or their technician had no idea how to use it.

My advice? Go to a big tire shop. A Goodyear or Firestone, but in the better part of town, a big store with high end clientele. Tell them your story, ask them to check your car / tires.
    2023 Chevrolet Silverado, 2019 Chrysler Pacifica
  • Options

Just have driven it to the supermarket and back home...unlike other dealership loaners I've had, VW expects the car to come back with the same amount of petrol in the tank. Have never had this situation before with a loaner, figured if you didn't go crazy, they'd just write it off but with VW, this isn't the case. No biggie, will just put a gallon or two in before I return it...in the Jetta last week, put in 1 gallon and it brought it up to the level I got it with. I'll do the same later once they call and tell me it's done...luckily am off tomorrow if they keep mine overnight but doubt they will.

VW keeps getting tighter with the buck$! When we bought our 2013 Passat it came with 3 years of free oil changes and service (rotate tires, new air filters etc). For 2014 they changed it to 2 years, and for 2015 it is only one year.

I guess that is a lot of revenue getting eaten up!

• Options
    graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,670
    ab348 said:

Easiest thing to try is to see if they will let you drive another Golf like your over the roads that you feel the vibration on when traveling. That will at least tell you (and them) that they either are, or are not, all like that.

That makes sense.

I will attest that Audis are tuned differently from VWs as a general rule, too.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • Options

They just called...they said all is fine! They are blaming the road I take, the suspension, whatever. They insist this won't hurt the tires so that's that. The guy said he felt the seat shaking but it's nothing to worry about and the tires won't wear out at an early time frame. So, they are done here! Personally, it seems odd to me. Even told them that we have the Audi A3 with same size wheels and tires and no shaking/vibration at all at the same speeds and they said the Audi is tuned differently, blah, blah, blah.

Even told them that we have the Audi A3 with same size wheels and tires and no shaking/vibration at all at the same speeds and they said the Audi is tuned differently, blah, blah, blah.

The easiest way to me would be to take it to another VW dealer. Make the appointment and tell them you want a technician to drive the car to experience the shimmy. Arrive early, go on a road near the dealers where you can feel it, and note the speed.

Your original dealer doesn't want to be bothered. Sometimes one dealer won't be able to find the problem, while another one can. I wouldn't tell the 2nd dealer about dealer #1, they might think you are being fussy.

• Options
    Q...AB....don't know if you guys had a chance to work with the Caddy iPhone app. But, I just noticed that I can start my car with the Caddy/OhStar app from my office to warm it up (looking at it now from the window in my office getting warm and toasty as I head out the door). I can also lock, and unlock it with my iPhone.

Was thinking the other day, I haven't seen any of those pesky legal warnings to approve on CUE to sue any of its functions. Could Caddy be trusting their clientele not to wreck while using CUE? That would be something of a first for a car manufacturer.
  • Options
    edited January 2015

Did the salesman mention the weight limit before he sold the car to the purchaser? Could be

And I want to hear how the person broke the news to them after tactfully asking them to both
    drive the car through the car wash to test for weight flex? That had to be a very carefully worded
    statement.

LOL............Yeh, I would like to have been a fly on the instrument panel when he broke that news to the 600 pound owner. And, why would a 600 pound person ever buy a Del Sol? That's why they make mini vans and SUVs.

• Options

abacomike said:

Got news from my son that the last MRI he had last week shows that the malignant tumor has dissipated and cannot be seen on the MRI.  What a great Christmas gift!  He has one more radiation treatment this Friday and after that, just checkups - 1st checkup in 3 months then every six months after that.  He has a full-body MRI in 2 weeks to develop a base for future MRI's.  Hopefully his white blood cell count will return to normal eventually.

You have no idea what a relief it is to know that your son won't die of brain cancer.  They caught it early enough, it would appear, and had good doctors and oncological radiologists.  This proton radiation is only successful in eliminating malignant tumors of the brain in a fraction of the cases reported.  Thank you, Lord, for your blessings.

That's great news! I'm fighting colon cancer right now, and, hope I get good results too when all is said and done. I'm recuperating from the chemo and radiation treatment now, and, meet with surgeon on the 15th to schedule next step.

Regards:
    Oldbearcat

Oldbearcat...you can and WILL beat this! Prayers going out!
    Isell & The rest of you:

Thank you for your thoughts and prayers - I really appreciate your support. I got checked by the Chemo Doc this afternoon, and, he seemed satisfied on how the treatment is progressing so far. I don't have to see him again until after the surgery.

Thanks again:
    Oldbearcat
    Good news. I'm certain you're going to be fine.

• Options

Q...AB....don't know if you guys had a chance to work with the Caddy iPhone app. But, I just noticed that I can start my car with the Caddy/OhStar app from my office to warm it up (looking at it now from the window in my office getting warm and toasty as I head out the door). I can also lock, and unlock it with my iPhone.

Was thinking the other day, I haven't seen any of those pesky legal warnings to approve on CUE to sue any of its functions. Could Caddy be trusting their clientele not to wreck while using CUE? That would be something of a first for a car manufacturer.

I could be wrong but the warning doesn't come up on the MB either. I think they found a way around having to "agree" each time you turn the car on. I guess the car companies can now assume we are intelligent enough to watch where we are going, and not the buttons on the instrument panel.

• Options
    Hate to do this because I know how unpopular appliance discussion is around here. But, I trust all of the opinions here.

Have a few year old Samsung dishwasher. Works fine, except the wheels to the wracks keep falling off, causing me to "lift" the bottom wrack into the dishwasher. Now, the brackets for the top rack have clips that "sheared" off the rack. So, now I'm stick with an expensive dishwasher that's functional with racks that are, at best, poorly designed, engineered which uses cheap and weak parts.

I have been patching it up....using zip ties to hold on the wheels and the top rack brackets. That only works for a week or two until the plastic zip ties slip off.

Out of warranty, the service guy wants $150 just to take a look at it. I've been searching for brackets and wheel assemblies, with little luck, at least not for my model. When talking to the service guy on the phone, he said Samsung makes good fridges and TVs. Dishwashers? Not so much. In short, there are known problems that Samsung doesn't care about.

Out of frustration, I'm kind of looking for a new dishwasher. So, I know you guys had this discussion awhile ago, but what say you? Which direction should I go? What brand, if any do you like and why?

Went to Sears last night. As has been widely reported, a sad shell of its former self. Prices weren't competitive either. Kenmore looks to be made by LG these days, too. I'm crossing them off the list.
  • Options
    ha. was just about to recommend Kenmore. But my Kenmore dishwasher is about 12 years old now, so I don't know how the new ones stack up. Have you checked repairclinic.com? That's where I get all my appliance parts from, including parts for my dishwasher.

On the CUE - yes, I have been using the app to start the car. Pretty cool. I haven't had the system give me a legal warning, but I have had it refuse to let me pair a phone while in motion. Question for you: have you set your driver preferences to turn on the heated seat when using remote start in the cold? I did, but I have no had it actually work yet. Salesperson called yesterday to check up on me and I asked him the question. He called me back today to tell me the techs tell him that it will only come on when the ambient temp inside the car is below 35, and there is no indication on the dash that it is on. hmmm... I can't really attest to the ambient temp inside the car being that cold.

• Options
    qbrozen said:

Question for you: have you set your driver preferences to turn on the heated seat when using remote start in the cold? I did, but I have no had it actually work yet. Salesperson called yesterday to check up on me and I asked him the question. He called me back today to tell me the techs tell him that it will only come on when the ambient temp inside the car is below 35, and there is no indication on the dash that it is on. hmmm... I can't really attest to the ambient temp inside the car being that cold.

MyLink turns on the heated seat for driver when remote start occurs, whether from the android or the car's remote. It also turns on the heated rear window. This is all inside my garage which was 50-55 deg the last time I used the remote start feature.

• Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 243,533
    @graphicguy‌ - we bought a Bosch dishwasher from Lowe's a few years ago. Main priority for the wife was that it be quiet ... the kitchen is next to the family room where we watch TV.

Does its job very well, though in order to be quiet it is a bit smaller inside than the GE we had before.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options

I do have the iPhone app, but since my base model (ahem) doesn't have remote start, that function is disabled. But I have locked and unlocked the car using it. My ex-Buick Regal had a similar app.

• Options
    @graphicguy - I was doing some online research on dishwashers recently. I currently have a GE that is a dozen years old and works fine, but even though it was supposedly their quietest available at the time (it says QuietPower III), it is quite noisy in comparison to others, especially more recent models.

I discovered that LG dishwashers get very poor reviews from owners - surprising to me since I have a LG washer/dryer pair that has been outstanding for 5 years now. A friend just bought one and it is still new, so no comments yet, but I witnessed how amazingly quiet it was. But owners do not like how they work. From what I have found, Bosch now gets very good ratings though that varies my model. You apparently need to pick one of their good ones as they apparently have some dogs also. Whirlpool used to be good but apparently they have cheapened them up of late. They also make KitchenAid which perhaps are built to the standard of the old Whirlpools and are pretty good. I did not find much about GE's new models but would not be surprised to find they have also declined given GE's rep for cutting costs. Maytag are apparently also no longer a good choice. Kenmore is a crapshoot depending upon who actually makes it.

• Options

Now that's a lot of flex for no more than two people in the car. But it is a specialty car--I occasionally see one
    being driven to school if I go get coffee early enough that I'm on the road with the high school crowd. A young
    eastern guy and a sister drive it. I think my son used to be friends with an older brother in the family.

We couldn't find any leaks. After the 4th or 5th time she brought it back, she brought her "partner" in with her. Between the two of them they probably tipped the scales at over 600 pounds!

statement.

But you don't say anything about how this was resolved? Take it as a trade in at a good value
    for another vehicle?
    Sell them another del Sol so they can drive separately and not max the weight limit?

You have to remember these lovely ladies weighed as much as four normal people.

I don't remember all of the details but I do remember they bought it used from us. We did take it back in and sold them something that could support their more than ample poundage. Probably and SUV of some kind as I recall.

I'm glad they weren't my customers. One of them was scary!
  • Options
    robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    Is everyone else seeing lots of ads that have nothing to do with autos? I have Verizon, Tax Act, some online college and a charity.