Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see May lease deals!
Options

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• Options
    houdini2houdini2 Member Posts: 409
    abacomike said:

driver100 said:

Thought it was time to show off my Pfister again:

Doesn’t look like it “holds” enough!  B):D

I have often wondered why residences don't use the type of toilets you see in commercial businesses that don't have a tank at all. Not enough water pressure I guess?
  • Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,138
    Winter can go away any time now. Last night it was -15 C (just above zero F) with gale force winds that were brutal. The combination made the house snap, crackle and pop in ways I had not heard it do before. Getting up this morning, when I pulled up the shades I had ice on the bottom inside edge of the thermo-pane windows in my bedroom. Criminy! Guess I should give thanks the wind didn't knock out the power. Today is supposed to be about as cold but with less wind, and at least the sun is out. Just a really ugly couple of days.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
    abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,258
    driver100 said:
    driver100 said:
    Thought it was time to show off my Pfister again:
    Doesn’t look like it “holds” enough!  B):D
    Hold enough what......water?
    I was thinking about solids rather than liquids!  :DB)

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,669
    suydam said:

Here’s how my Encore looks now. Not pretty.

YIKES! Well, that's not good! Sorry to see this. Couple of weeks in the body shop, and all will be well. Still, it's never fun having a car that's been in an accident, especially when the damage was done by someone else.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • Options
    ab348 said:
    There he goes again, lording about his designer toilet over the rest of us proles... :D
    I don’t think I will live long enough to see his phister or his fist, thank goodness.  As long as my toilet(s) provide sufficient relief for my 7:30 AM movements, I am a happy camper!  Thinking of camping, that’s the reason I refrain from camping - outhouses do not meet my needs and porta-potties are just not my “cup-a-tea”.  

I think we’ve covered just about everything here on this posting board with the advent of toilets.  But I have a true story about “embalming” if anyone is interested!   B)

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    abacomike said:

ab348 said:

There he goes again, lording about his designer toilet over the rest of us proles... :D

I don’t think I will live long enough to see his phister or his fist, thank goodness.  As long as my toilet(s) provide sufficient relief for my 7:30 AM movements, I am a happy camper!  Thinking of camping, that’s the reason I refrain from camping - outhouses do not meet my needs and porta-potties are just not my “cup-a-tea”.  

I think we’ve covered just about everything here on this posting board with the advent of toilets.  But I have a true story about “embalming” if anyone is interested!   B)

Mike, let 'er rip !
  • Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    ab348 said:

Yeah, but does it have Wi-Fi?
  • Options
    imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,171
    ab348 said:

Winter can go away any time now. Last night it was -15 C (just above zero F) with gale force winds that were brutal. The combination made the house snap, crackle and pop in ways I had not heard it do before. Getting up this morning, when I pulled up the shades I had ice on the bottom inside edge of the thermo-pane windows in my bedroom. Criminy! Guess I should give thanks the wind didn't knock out the power. Today is supposed to be about as cold but with less wind, and at least the sun is out. Just a really ugly couple of days.

Yesterday we were half Florida. We went up to comfortable 40 deg F. That's half of Mike's 80 degrees. Hmmmm.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• Options
    jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,638
    venture said:

After all the rain lately saturating the ground and the wind storm that blew through here for a day and a half, the tree guy is coming today to remove this tree before it falls on the road and takes the electric lines with it. I'll miss it. B)

You don't need a "tree guy", you need a come-a-long attached to the other tree. :o

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • Options
    driver100driver100 Member Posts: 32,005

ab348 said:

A guy back home has a $5000 Toto that his wife insisted on having. I don't think it has wi-fi but does have a heated seat, soft blue lighting for night time use, and very precise controls, that can be set for different users.

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

• Options

ab348 said:

I don't know. But I do know that if Driver were to post a picture of himself wearing that horizontally striped shirt while sitting on that high-zoot toilet, he might break the Internet. B)

• Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    A man makes one mistake, and it follows him all his life.....poignant, really.
  • Options

Lol, reminds me of a joke about Pierre the bridge builder.
  • Options
    snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,345
    ab348 said:
    I am tired of this winter. This weekend (the first weekend in March) we are expected to have sub zero overnight lows. Monday's high is supposed to be 30 degrees colder than normal.  :'(

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

• Options
    thebeanthebean Member Posts: 1,221

2015 Honda Accord EX, 2019 Honda HR-V EX
  • Options
    driver100 said:

ab348 said:

A guy back home has a $5000 Toto that his wife insisted on having. I don't think it has wi-fi but does have a heated seat, soft blue lighting for night time use, and very precise controls, that can be set for different users.

That's borderline line ridiculous. Wait, before I have to edit this post, that is totally ridiculous.

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • Options

That's what happens when you think telling the truth won't hurt you. :'(

jmonroe
  • Options
    tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,967
    driver100 said:

To bring this full circle back to cars... LOOK! It has settings for two users, just like many cars!.  Memory presets are great.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• Options
    thebean said:

Hey Bean, haven't seen you in here for quite some time. I hope all is well (if I remember right you had a medical glitch) but now it looks like you lost your voice. :(

jmonroe
  • Options
    houdini2 said:
    ab348 said:

Mike, let 'er rip !
    OK, I’ll let ‘er rip!

I was recently at a memorial service at a funeral home that specializes in Jewish Traditional funerals and burials.  I try to avoid going to these ritualistic final arrangements for many reasons - but most importantly due to the perfume aroma that permeates the entire funeral home.  I get sick to my stomach, as a rule.  Less importantly, I don’t own a sport jacket or a suit so I show up in slacks, black shoes and a short sleeved dress shirt - no tie because I don’t own one of those either.

As I entered the room where the coffin and remains were on display,  my nose became aware of a foul odor throughout the environs.  Even the perfume spray the funeral home circulates could not camouflage this odor.  I was determined to find out why the funeral home would allow this stench to permeate the room.

I approached the gentleman who seemed to be one of the funeral directors.  I asked him why the odor was so strong in the display room which was obviously caused by a decaying corpse.  He responded that the remains had been refrigerated for over 1 week awaiting the release of the body from the coroner after a required autopsy by the county due to a questionable cause of death.  The remains were not embalmed per Jewish Tradition and Law.  The funeral director was embarrassed and apologized for the situation but the funeral home’s hands were tied.  Personally, it was disgusting!

Traditional Jewish law requires burial within 24 hours of death because embalming is not permitted.  The only exception being that burials and services are not permitted on the sabbath.  In this case, because there were questions unanswered about the cause of death, the autopsy delayed the burial and was not performed in a timely manner due to a back-up of remains needing autopsies by the coroner’s office.

I blame the funeral home for allowing memorial services for the public knowing the condition of the remains was questionable.  Further, the coffin being used should have been hermetically sealed which it obviously was not.

This is why I hate funerals and memorial services.  It was an experience I will never forget!

Now we’ve covered funerals and embalming - or the lack thereof.  B):o

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    edited February 2019

Here I am, taught school, got canned from 3 jobs in 4 years, built a successful business that did over $4 million in sales a year, vacation in Florida for 5 months, have a beautiful trophy wife, 3 good kids, 7 grandchildren.....and what am I remembered for?

• Options
    jmonroe1 said:

thebean said:

Hey Bean, haven't seen you in here for quite some time. I hope all is well (if I remember right you had a medical glitch) but now it looks like you lost your voice. :(

jmonroe
    For all his faults there is one thing about jmonroe....he has a memory like an elephant. Hope his wife doesn't say the wrong thing...she will hear about it for the rest of his life.

• Options
    The only thing I can say about the funeral discussion is;
    1) The last funeral I went to was about 3years ago. I was dressed in a tie and jacket etc. There were people who attended in jeans and T-shirts (not striped though). Has respect disappeared?
    2) Have been at a funeral when a cell phone went off....I guess it can happen but........

• Options
    driver100 said:
    I do believe that Toto has toilets north of $10k. And here I am just happy to have indoor plumbing.

• Options
    driver100 said:

Here I am, taught school, got canned from 3 jobs in 4 years, built a successful that did over $4 million in sales a year, vacation in Florida for 5 months, have a beautiful trophy wife, 3 good kids, 7 grandchildren.....and what am I remembered for?
    There are worse things than being remembered for a striped shirt and a designer toilet, I suppose.

• Options
    My best friend sent me this photo. He got this CPO Volvo (car on the left) just a few months ago. He tries to park it so he isn't near other cars........which is what he did on this day.
    When he came back....the red car was parked next to him.
    How is he supposed to open his door to get in? Notice how the mirrors would have collided if the Ford wasn't taller.

• Options
    Just because I'm an [non-permissible content removed]... I think I would walk into the store and have that person paged and make them move for me. I wouldn't crawl through my car in those messy conditions getting slop all over my seats and console.

• Options
    driver100 said:

My best friend sent me this photo. He got this CPO Volvo (car on the left) just a few months ago. He tries to park it so he isn't near other cars........which is what he did on this day.
    How is he supposed to open his door to get in? Notice how the mirrors would have collided if the Ford wasn't taller.

If something like that happened in the parking lot where I used to work before I retired, a couple of guys that worked in the shop area, would have parked their old beat-up pick up trucks so close to that guy they would have damn near removed the last coat of wax. I told the story a while back about how they did that to a young lady who took up 2 parking spaces because she didn't want her newish BMW scratched. She was in tears before they decided to let her out and even then, it took two levels of management before they did.

Lesson learned, she never parked like that again.

jmonroe
  • Options
    ruking1ruking1 Member Posts: 19,826
    tjc78 said:

Just because I'm an [non-permissible content removed]... I think I would walk into the store and have that person paged and make them move for me. I wouldn't crawl through my car in those messy conditions getting slop all over my seats and console.

Why would it be characterized as such? It’s really one of the most civilized things to do.
  • Options
    You don't think that the Edge driver wouldn't have been ticked off for being called to the front of the store over the PA and have to come move their car?

If they are that oblivious to park like that, they certainly wouldn't think that was a good thing or even understand what they did wrong.

My .02

• Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,985
    but far far nicer than keying their car, for example, which I bet many people would do.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    Would the driver of a red Ford Edge license number---------, please move your car, the driver in the spot next to you can't possibly get his driver's door open since you inconsiderately parked your car so close to his. Please be more considerate of fellow human beings in the future.

• Options
    jmonroe1 said:

driver100 said:

Lesson learned, she never parked like that again.

jmonroe
    Funny, in your story it was a woman driver. I wrote back to my friend and said "Guess the driver didn't see what she was doing" and I assumed it was a woman - I know PI.
    My friend said he didn't stick around had to go so doesn't know if it was a woman or a man. Men can be ignorant and do something similar, but, I think a woman is more likely to do this and not realize she was impeding his access to the door. Not as good at judging space......for example, I can get twice as much into the dishwasher as Mrs D.

• Options
    28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,408
    abacomike said:

OK, I’ll let ‘er rip!

I was recently at a memorial service at a funeral home that specializes in Jewish Traditional funerals and burials.  I try to avoid going to these ritualistic final arrangements for many reasons - but most importantly due to the perfume aroma that permeates the entire funeral home.  I get sick to my stomach, as a rule.  Less importantly, I don’t own a sport jacket or a suit so I show up in slacks, black shoes and a short sleeved dress shirt - no tie because I don’t own one of those either.

As I entered the room where the coffin and remains were on display,  my nose became aware of a foul odor throughout the environs.  Even the perfume spray the funeral home circulates could not camouflage this odor.  I was determined to find out why the funeral home would allow this stench to permeate the room.

I approached the gentleman who seemed to be one of the funeral directors.  I asked him why the odor was so strong in the display room which was obviously caused by a decaying corpse.  He responded that the remains had been refrigerated for over 1 week awaiting the release of the body from the coroner after a required autopsy by the county due to a questionable cause of death.  The remains were not embalmed per Jewish Tradition and Law.  The funeral director was embarrassed and apologized for the situation but the funeral home’s hands were tied.  Personally, it was disgusting!

Traditional Jewish law requires burial within 24 hours of death because embalming is not permitted.  The only exception being that burials and services are not permitted on the sabbath.  In this case, because there were questions unanswered about the cause of death, the autopsy delayed the burial and was not performed in a timely manner due to a back-up of remains needing autopsies by the coroner’s office.

I blame the funeral home for allowing memorial services for the public knowing the condition of the remains was questionable.  Further, the coffin being used should have been hermetically sealed which it obviously was not.

This is why I hate funerals and memorial services.  It was an experience I will never forget!

I don't want to derail this thread any further than we've gone. I can understand why this was troubling and a lot of traditions (not just Judaism) have rituals and practices that make little sense in a contemporary world. The 24 hour burial requirement for Jews would have mitigated much of what you experienced. Jewish tradition calls for the body to be allowed to decay, returning it to the earth fully - ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Embalming slows, if not completely stops that process (I'm not an expert). Some of our older traditions, such as this, have not accounted for the modern world of autopsies, investigations, etc. The remains do not pose a threat, but as you encountered, did not smell great.

In this particular circumstance, I would have requested a smaller graveside ceremony outdoors and then held a memorial service separately without the body for a larger group. Just my $.02.

2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
  • Options
    thebeanthebean Member Posts: 1,221
    Hey there @jmonroe1. Just been toddlin’ along getting tests left and right. Thanks for asking. It seems like the doctors think I’m a revenue center with all the scans and whatnot. But, as long as I wake up on this side of the grass, I figure I’m doing OK. Hope Mrs jmonroe1 is giving you a break from the laps around the dining room table. :D
    2015 Honda Accord EX, 2019 Honda HR-V EX
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    tjc78 said:

You don't think that the Edge driver wouldn't have been ticked off for being called to the front of the store over the PA and have to come move their car?

If they are that oblivious to park like that, they certainly wouldn't think that was a good thing or even understand what they did wrong.

My .02

Well I did see one humorous video, where somebody parked blocking somebody else. They put a tow hook to the bumper & pulled the offending car right into the roadway, which would allow access to the drivers (your) door. Offending clueless drivers reaction upon return would have been priceless.
  • Options

ab348 said:

I am tired of this winter. This weekend (the first weekend in March) we are expected to have sub zero overnight lows. Monday's high is supposed to be 30 degrees colder than normal.  :'(

Global Warming is freezing me to death !
  • Options
    I would not want that person to move their car. Wouldn't trust their driving. I would just crawl over the seat.
  • Options
    in response to the parking stories.

• Options
    edited February 2019

I don't think I would do that. The offending van driver won't see the motorcycle and will back up right into it, and then drive on like nothing happened.

• Options
    driver100 said:

Here I am, taught school, got canned from 3 jobs in 4 years, built a successful business that did over $4 million in sales a year, vacation in Florida for 5 months, have a beautiful trophy wife, 3 good kids, 7 grandchildren.....and what am I remembered for?
    Your toilet! :D

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    driver100 said:

I don't think I would do that. The offending van driver won't see the motorcycle and will back up right into it, and then drive on like nothing happened.
    Oh yes the van driver thought it was a speed bum.
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    abacomike said:

driver100 said:

Your toilet! :D
    You all should take tours of your local sewer treatment, trash & recycling plants. They are literally the foundations of civilizations.
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    The plumber just left. I was correct about the source of the leaking. It was a large, rubber seal that is seated between the commode and the toilet itself. When the top is screwed tightly to the bottom, it seals the water tank so the water can flow freely into the toilet without leaking. It took him 3 minutes to diagnose and five minutes to replace the rubber seal and complete the job. Cost to me - nothing. They normally charge $150 for a house call + labor and parts. In this case, about $200.00. Since it only costs me $400.00 a year, including tax, for HVAC, internal electrical (bathroom exhaust fans and ceiling fans included), washer/dryer repairs, refrigerator repairs, oven repairs, dishwasher repairs, and all internal plumbing, I made out quite well using this company.

I never use the master bedroom bathroom (just the shower) because it is not roomy enough for my purposes. So I truly missed my bathroom throne for the 3 days. You never realize how important it is to be comfortable every morning - and I certainly was not comfortable these past three mornings. :D:o

2021 Genesis G90

• Options

abacomike said:

OK, I’ll let ‘er rip!

I don't want to derail this thread any further than we've gone. I can understand why this was troubling and a lot of traditions (not just Judaism) have rituals and practices that make little sense in a contemporary world. The 24 hour burial requirement for Jews would have mitigated much of what you experienced. Jewish tradition calls for the body to be allowed to decay, returning it to the earth fully - ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Embalming slows, if not completely stops that process (I'm not an expert). Some of our older traditions, such as this, have not accounted for the modern world of autopsies, investigations, etc. The remains do not pose a threat, but as you encountered, did not smell great.

In this particular circumstance, I would have requested a smaller graveside ceremony outdoors and then held a memorial service separately without the body for a larger group. Just my $.02.

I agree 100% with you, FF. They should have had a graveside service and then accepted visitors at their home following the service. You are correct in every aspect as to the history and tradition as well as the rationale for not embalming the remains - fast decomposition is the end goal.

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    edited February 2019
    Life is good! I hope they replace it with the synthetic rubber seals. The synthetic seals are way better than natural rubber. It is amazing or maybe not so amazing that the littlest and the cheapest of parts can cause huge headache’s.

Our complex’s management /Board of Directors got the city to enlarge & repair the section of sub standard sewer pipes.

Not that most people care but trees and other plants like to find the sewer pipes and to send root runners breaking into the pipes. This in turn causes massive sewer repair problems costing many $’s.
  • Options
    suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    I think something was wrong with that funeral home. I’m Jewish and have been to my share of funerals. Delays do happen, especially if close relatives live far away. I’ve never had that experience. You also can’t “hermetically seal” a Jewish coffin because it’s supposed to be a plain pine box, or at least the cheapest casket possible. Generally the funeral service is graveside anyway. That’s where all the important ritual stuff happens. I havent been to any indoors, unless it was really cold. We did that for my Dad because it was January and 20 degrees. Maybe a memorial service (sans casket) at the synagogue if it’s an important member who was known to lots of people. The most important ritual is afterward, sitting shiva.
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • Options
    abacomike said:

The plumber just left. I was correct about the source of the leaking. It was a large, rubber seal that is seated between the commode and the toilet itself. When the top is screwed tightly to the bottom, it seals the water tank so the water can flow freely into the toilet without leaking. It took him 3 minutes to diagnose and five minutes to replace the rubber seal and complete the job. Cost to me - nothing. They normally charge $150 for a house call + labor and parts. In this case, about $200.00. Since it only costs me $400.00 a year, including tax, for HVAC, internal electrical (bathroom exhaust fans and ceiling fans included), washer/dryer repairs, refrigerator repairs, oven repairs, dishwasher repairs, and all internal plumbing, I made out quite well using this company.

I never use the master bedroom bathroom (just the shower) because it is not roomy enough for my purposes. So I truly missed my bathroom throne for the 3 days. You never realize how important it is to be comfortable every morning - and I certainly was not comfortable these past three mornings. :D:o

TMI and I don't mean Three Mile Island. ;)

jmonroe
  • Options
    28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,408
    @suydam - thanks for clarifying that. I, too, am Jewish but have only been to a handful of funerals. Even the ones with relatives traveling from a distance were done within 72 hours.
    2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
  • Options
    thebean said:

Hey there @jmonroe1. Just been toddlin’ along getting tests left and right. Thanks for asking. It seems like the doctors think I’m a revenue center with all the scans and whatnot. But, as long as I wake up on this side of the grass, I figure I’m doing OK. Hope Mrs jmonroe1 is giving you a break from the laps around the dining room table. :D

Don't make yourself a stranger. We'd like to keep you company.

As for the dining room table, we're on pretty good terms lately because I've learned to think a little more before I start yapping although I had a close call last week. :'(

jmonroe