Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• Options
    houdini2houdini2 Member Posts: 409
    thebean said:

driver100 said:

I’m amazed at how many of those dash cam videos show crashes with someone failing to yield while making left turns.

https://youtu.be/-0H8BX8OM9s

Using the Driver100 System of Defensive Driving (DSDD) the accident could have been avoided. Although the Honda is clearly in the wrong....and it does appear made a left turn from a driving lane, not the left turn lane, the truck driver did not use defensive driving at all. Maybe he did what an average person would do....assumed he had the right of way and the Honda would wait.

If he used DSDD and "Thought about the stupidest thing the Honda driver could do - then be ready because the Honda driver will probably do it", he would have been prepared to stop or slow down in time. Could have saved him a lot of time, inconvenience and possibly pain.

I will say, it takes a toll on you having to drive defensively all the time.......have to really be concentrating and thinking constantly.
    @driver100, that’s a lot of Monday morning quarterbacking there. There’s no way to anticipate every dumb thing that someone is going to do. The Honda was clearly in the wrong. The truck could have made more of an effort to avoid it or slam on their brakes, but to say that you would have been omniscient enough to see that the Honda would do that is really 20/20 hindsight, no matter what your system of defensive driving.
    I agree. My all time fantasy job has always been Vice President in charge of hindsight.
  • Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,558
    I spent an hour last night watching barn find videos. I could probably waste an entire day sucked down that rabbit hole.

Trucks, I try to give them a nice berth. Often when I can see they are having trouble getting over I will back off and stay clear of their back bumper and give them a hghbeam flash that they are clear. That usually gets a nice wave in response.

people really do seem to be in way too much of a hurry these days.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,977
    thebean said:

driver100 said:

I’m amazed at how many of those dash cam videos show crashes with someone failing to yield while making left turns.

Using the Driver100 System of Defensive Driving (DSDD) the accident could have been avoided. Although the Honda is clearly in the wrong....and it does appear made a left turn from a driving lane, not the left turn lane, the truck driver did not use defensive driving at all. Maybe he did what an average person would do....assumed he had the right of way and the Honda would wait.

If he used DSDD and "Thought about the stupidest thing the Honda driver could do - then be ready because the Honda driver will probably do it", he would have been prepared to stop or slow down in time. Could have saved him a lot of time, inconvenience and possibly pain.

I will say, it takes a toll on you having to drive defensively all the time.......have to really be concentrating and thinking constantly.
    @driver100, that’s a lot of Monday morning quarterbacking there. There’s no way to anticipate every dumb thing that someone is going to do. The Honda was clearly in the wrong. The truck could have made more of an effort to avoid it or slam on their brakes, but to say that you would have been omniscient enough to see that the Honda would do that is really 20/20 hindsight, no matter what your system of defensive driving.
    I did say the Honda driver was clearly at fault, and the truck driver would have to have extraordinary defensive driving skills to have avoided the accident. But, when I see the Honda starting to go into that turn, my radar went on....not saying I could have slowed down in time, but, I think I may have avoided that collision.

When I saw the possibility he or she was going to make a left turn I was weighing in my mind what that driver could possibly do, that I may have to try and avoid.

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

• Options
    ab348 said:

driver100 said:

You realize, Driver, that you have just self-identified as one of those old geezers who brakes when approaching green traffic lights. Those folks make my BP go up. :@
    I am aware of that, and I try not to impede traffic....the rules are made so traffic flows, but, I may not have my foot on the brake to brake, but I may have coasted with my foot over the brake, and I would be checking my side mirrors to see if there was a lane to the left preferably, or the right - less likely, that I could go into.

I might tie up traffic less by avoiding an accident, and it might actually lower your BP ab.

• Options

driver100 said:

How can you expect a person to concentrate on controlling a 4000 pound machine when he has to worry about his status on Twitter? I mean, come on. :)
    I believe I could hear loud rock music in the dashcam truck....that was probably a major distraction!

• Options
    stickguy said:
    Making it worse, he was driving home from the mechanic after getting new tires and some other work done to the Chevy, which is now totaled, so unless they can argue with the insurance company, $900 down the drain.

Yeh, it really bothered me on the day the E350 got hit and destroyed by the garbage truck I had just filled it with $60 worth of gas.

Actually, sorry to hear about this accident stick...not nice when innocent victims have their lives so disrupted.

• Options
    houdini2 said:

thebean said:

driver100 said:

I agree. My all time fantasy job has always been Vice President in charge of hindsight.
    Defensive driving is not hindsight.
    Not saying I could have avoided the accident, but, I think I could have had a chance....at least more of a chance than the truck driver. I know the other driver was at fault, but, the truck driver did zero (0) to avoid or soften the blow....I think there is a possibility he could have planned a bit more.

• Options
    stickguy said:

Trucks, I try to give them a nice berth. Often when I can see they are having trouble getting over I will back off and stay clear of their back bumper and give them a hghbeam flash that they are clear. That usually gets a nice wave in response.

I was pleasantly surprised the other day when a big truck in nice condition moved over into the next lane to let me come onto the highway....very unusual and very nice of him. When I got ahead of him I blinked my rear lights to thank him.

He did have an empty lane and traffic was light, but, it was a very nice gesture on his part.

• Options
    roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,366
    When I ride my Triumph I assume everyone else on the road will do the most illogical/moronic thing possible. Needless to say, I am seldom surprised. 

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,323
    edited May 2019
    Someone already commented that the pickup truck driver did move over a lane to the right to try to avoid the collision.
    The truck wasn't even in the left most of the 3 lanes when the collision happened.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options
    henrynhenryn Member Posts: 4,289

Someone already commented that the pickup truck driver did move over a lane to the right to try to avoid the collision.
    The truck wasn't even in the left most of the 3 lanes when the collision happened.

Uh... No. The truck driver moved from the right lane, to the middle lane. One lane to the left. Go back and look again.
    2023 Chevrolet Silverado, 2019 Chrysler Pacifica
  • Options
    @henryn, then moved back to the right before the collision.
  • Options
    he didn't move to the right I don't think. he had just moved from the right lane to the left as he approached the intersection.

• Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,950
    He did swerve a bit to the right just before impact.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    Some of you guys have to get your eyes checked.
    That situation was somewhat familiar to me, although on the interstate.
  • Options
    driver100 said:

I was pleasantly surprised the other day when a big truck in nice condition moved over into the next lane to let me come onto the highway....very unusual and very nice of him. When I got ahead of him I blinked my rear lights to thank him.

He did have an empty lane and traffic was light, but, it was a very nice gesture on his part.

It irritates the heck out of me when people DON'T move over. I understand if they aren't able to, but it happens all too often that the road is wide open and they just have no consideration for others.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    some people are probably just rude, but I bet more of them are just oblivious to what is going on. and of course, some just never learned anything about rules of the road so don't even realize they should.

• Options
    imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,155
    edited May 2019
    stickguy said:

some people are probably just rude, but I bet more of them are just oblivious to what is going on. and of course, some just never learned anything about rules of the road so don't even realize they should.

I still like the parallel someone made between how some folks navigate their grocery carts in the store and how the same people drive. I can add many of them drive in the parking lots as though they are the only people in the traffic aisles out there. It's like they've been told they're the only important people.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• Options
    fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,175
    Hanlon's razor. I think it also applies to left lane campers.
  • Options
    OK, who did the wrong thing in this 37 second video?
    https://youtu.be/hnFn9VALr84

• Options
    give that one to the Taurus. reckless driving, and the guy in front had position.

• Options
    ruking1ruking1 Member Posts: 19,826
    driver100 said:

Love it!
  • Options
    True........but Honda fit guy was also oblivious....doesn't signal, didn't look properly, and he kept driving, didn't have a clue what happened!

• Options
    snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,330
    driver100 said:

True........but Honda fit guy was also oblivious....doesn't signal, didn't look properly, and he kept driving, didn't have a clue what happened!

Not sure about the Fit driver not looking properly. The Taurus wasn't in the left lane when the Fit driver would have checked to see if it was clear to make the move.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

• Options
    oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,676
    qbrozen said:

driver100 said:

It irritates the heck out of me when people DON'T move over. I understand if they aren't able to, but it happens all too often that the road is wide open and they just have no consideration for others.
    Sometimes it's best to not move over. Today I was driving in the right lane on a 4 lane (2 each way) 45mph road and this Fusion pulls out halfway across my lane and stops. I didn’t have time to check my mirror so I braked hard and stopped rather than swerve left around him. Good thing I did because there was a car riding in my left rear quarter who I would have whacked. After sitting there in a trance for a few seconds the Fusion backed up and I went on shaking my head.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options
    driver100 said:

The Ford because he was speeding and swerving across lanes. The driver of the grey SUV was no Brainiac either because he started changing lanes before signaling and only signaled as an afterthought but even if he was checking his mirror the Ford’s rate of approach was too high.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options
    cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,506
    edited May 2019
    When I was driving my Kenworth, courtesy among professional drivers was a given, and there was quite a bit of participation from the "4-wheelers" as well.

The best example was climbing the grapevine (I5 NB) in CA, where there were four uphill lanes most of the way, and real trucks were prohibited from only the far left (#1) lane. We all had different loads on, and trucks with different power and gearing, but doing it was a symphony in motion. We all looked out for each other and moved out to create a path for those who needed to pass. An aerial view would have been worth the price of admission.

I guess you had to be there, but it made me proud to be a professional driver. And, oh yeah, everyone signaled well in advance if changing lanes. What a concept.

People die if it's not done correctly.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    Midnight:

Ohio DOT is using snow plows to remove debris from I75 north of downtown after a tornado has gone through this area.

I watched the green lightening in the top of the tornado as it moved along south of us and went on to the metro area.

Thankfully we didn't get the hit from that one. But we were lucky.

• Options
    suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    edited May 2019
    Wow. Glad you’re okay. A friend in central Ohio has been sending us FB notifications of the warnings in their area. Looks very widespread. I have friends in Springfield too.
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • Options
    ventureventure Member Posts: 2,883

When I ride my Triumph I assume everyone else on the road will do the most illogical/moronic thing possible. Needless to say, I am seldom surprised. 

When I used to ride I figured everyone wanted to kill me.

2020 Ascent Limited, 2024 Subaru Legacy Sport

• Options

driver100 said:

Not sure about the Fit driver not looking properly. The Taurus wasn't in the left lane when the Fit driver would have checked to see if it was clear to make the move.
    True, but the Fit driver - and I stress though no way at fault - moves into the left lane for no logical reason, and on my computer appears not to signal - he never passes the car that had been in front of him, and it appears though hard for me to tell, that he moved back into the middle lane again in his old place.

Not defending Taurus guy, just saying, Fit guy is a bit clueless, which doesn't help.

• Options
    edited May 2019

Midnight:

Ohio DOT is using snow plows to remove debris from I75 north of downtown after a tornado has gone through this area.

I watched the green lightening in the top of the tornado as it moved along south of us and went on to the metro area.

That is a close one imid...glad to hear you avoided any real problems.
    That same system is bring rain to the Toronto area for the next 3 days.........I say better that it comes as rain - as depressing as that is - than tornadoes or flood waters.

On the news they showed giant hail stones (baseball size) near Chicago.

• Options
    Everyone who called the Honda Element a Honda Fit has failed the test. :disappointed::p

• Options
    venture said:

They do have a name for that disorder - you may want to alter the phrase a bit. It isn't usually associated with traffic problems. But, I know what you are saying. I say to Mrs D sometimes I have to drive defensively, because I can't trust any of them.

This happens a lot of the time when they come racing out of a parking lot or a side street....they approach the STOP at about 80 m.p.h. and are surprised there is a car coming and they actually have to stop for the traffic that has the right of way.

• Options

When I was driving my Kenworth, courtesy among professional drivers was a given, and there was quite a bit of participation from the "4-wheelers" as well.

I guess you had to be there, but it made me proud to be a professional driver. And, oh yeah, everyone signaled well in advance if changing lanes. What a concept.

My father was in sales and traveled a lot. A few times his car broke down (he always bought Fords or Mercury's) and a guy in a beer truck would stop and help, and then send him a case of beer.

What happened to those days?

• Options
    dino001dino001 Member Posts: 6,166
    driver100 said:

driver100 said:

True, but the Fit driver - and I stress though no way at fault - moves into the left lane for no logical reason, and on my computer appears not to signal - he never passes the car that had been in front of him, and it appears though hard for me to tell, that he moved back into the middle lane again in his old place.

Not defending Taurus guy, just saying, Fit guy is a bit clueless, which doesn't help.
    First of all, it's Honda Element, not Fit (Fit is that small thing). In my opinion, legally you may assign some blame to the Honda driver (he was being oblivious to the incoming Taurus and did not signal his intent), but the Taurus drove probably 30-40 mph over the limit, cut across two lanes so one can argue he showed up there very unexpected. There is a point above which no matter what small mistake you might have done, the other guy removed all wiggle room by their reckless behavior.

2018 430i Gran Coupe

• Options
    qbrozen said:

Everyone who called the Honda Element a Honda Fit has failed the test. :disappointed::p

Some "car guys" forum. :laughing:

2018 430i Gran Coupe

• Options

Midnight:

Glad you’re ok. Can’t imagine how scary it was to be that close to a tornado. NY seldom gets them but a few have hit nearby over the decades. That’s enough for me.

• Options
    qbrozen said:

I thought that was too big to be a Fit but wasn’t sure what it was.

• Options
    houdini2houdini2 Member Posts: 409
    edited May 2019
    driver100 said:

thebean said:

driver100 said:

I did say the Honda driver was clearly at fault, and the truck driver would have to have extraordinary defensive driving skills to have avoided the accident. But, when I see the Honda starting to go into that turn, my radar went on....not saying I could have slowed down in time, but, I think I may have avoided that collision.

When I saw the possibility he or she was going to make a left turn I was weighing in my mind what that driver could possibly do, that I may have to try and avoid.
    Any advice on avoiding being rear ended?
  • Options
    tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,928
    houdini2 said:
    I’m amazed at how many of those dash cam videos show crashes with someone failing to yield while making left turns. https://youtu.be/-0H8BX8OM9s
    Using the Driver100 System of Defensive Driving (DSDD) the accident could have been avoided. Although the Honda is clearly in the wrong....and it does appear made a left turn from a driving lane, not the left turn lane, the truck driver did not use defensive driving at all. Maybe he did what an average person would do....assumed he had the right of way and the Honda would wait. If he used DSDD and "Thought about the stupidest thing the Honda driver could do - then be ready because the Honda driver will probably do it", he would have been prepared to stop or slow down in time. Could have saved him a lot of time, inconvenience and possibly pain. I will say, it takes a toll on you having to drive defensively all the time.......have to really be concentrating and thinking constantly.
    I did say the Honda driver was clearly at fault, and the truck driver would have to have extraordinary defensive driving skills to have avoided the accident. But, when I see the Honda starting to go into that turn, my radar went on....not saying I could have slowed down in time, but, I think I may have avoided that collision. When I saw the possibility he or she was going to make a left turn I was weighing in my mind what that driver could possibly do, that I may have to try and avoid.
    LOL.  When I got rear ended a few years back, my wife asked if there was anything I could have done to avoid it... I really was speechless.   After she thought about it she realized it was a stupid question. 

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• Options
    don't stop.

• Options

Midnight:

Glad you’re ok. Can’t imagine how scary it was to be that close to a tornado. NY seldom gets them but a few have hit nearby over the decades. That’s enough for me.

• Options
    edited May 2019
    Saw damage in our small city due to straight line winds. The crews are out and cleaning up the young branches that were blown off 10-year old decorative trees.

Once again the incompetent City of Dayton has called for a boil advisory for the water supply for most of the county. They have the water sourcing for themselves and for the separate county water system. However, they haven't kept their infrastructure up-to-date. Months ago during high water a water line that's the main supply broke under the river water. Should have been rebuilt years ago. Boil advisory.

Now the City has auxiliary electrical generators for the water plant but none for the pumping stations that move that water out to the surroundings. So once again the flow of water has been changed and a boil advisory has been called. Again. That includes us on the county system.

But the city folks in an early press conference were so proud of themselves because instead of insuring pumping stations can move the water with generators for the high amperage pumps, they are having generators brought in from out of town by this afternoon. DUH. Decades of poor money management in the city.

Even our Lowes and Home Depot stores have generators... that will keep them going in a major emergency like we have in many areas. 10% of Dayton Power & Light's customers are without power.

End of soapbox.

• Options
    driver100 said:
    True, but the Fit driver - and I stress though no way at fault - moves into the left lane for no logical reason, and on my computer appears not to signal - he never passes the car that had been in front of him, and it appears though hard for me to tell, that he moved back into the middle lane again in his old place. Not defending Taurus guy, just saying, Fit guy is a bit clueless, which doesn't help.
    The Honda driver had someone in front of them and may have wanted to pass, or they could have seen the Ford coming up fast in their lane and tried to get out of the way. I couldn't tell if he moved back into the middle lane but to me it looked like he stayed in the left lane. 

• Options
    qbrozen said:
    Not the first nor the last time for this poster. 

• Options
    houdini2 said:

I'm trying to watch my mirrors and see if the fellow behind me is distracted or alert. I also watch for tale gating. If I see signs to be concerned, I deliberately slow down to create even more space in front of me (so in emergency I can drive a little longer) and increase reaction time allowance for the yahoo behind me. I also hit my brake pedal sooner without necessarily immediately slowing down (so the rear stop lights will alert that person something may be going on). In most extreme case of tale gating (if it happens at speed), I even "preemptively" briefly hit brake pedal to lit the stop lights and keep driving. Repeat it once or twice and you get the attention. I don't care if the person gets pissed at that point, they were on my tale for long enough.

2018 430i Gran Coupe

• Options
    dino001 said:
    Some "car guys" forum. :laughing:
    Hey "car guys" are awesome not perfect.

• Options
    houdini2 said:
    I’m amazed at how many of those dash cam videos show crashes with someone failing to yield while making left turns. https://youtu.be/-0H8BX8OM9s
    Using the Driver100 System of Defensive Driving (DSDD) the accident could have been avoided. Although the Honda is clearly in the wrong....and it does appear made a left turn from a driving lane, not the left turn lane, the truck driver did not use defensive driving at all. Maybe he did what an average person would do....assumed he had the right of way and the Honda would wait. If he used DSDD and "Thought about the stupidest thing the Honda driver could do - then be ready because the Honda driver will probably do it", he would have been prepared to stop or slow down in time. Could have saved him a lot of time, inconvenience and possibly pain. I will say, it takes a toll on you having to drive defensively all the time.......have to really be concentrating and thinking constantly.
    I did say the Honda driver was clearly at fault, and the truck driver would have to have extraordinary defensive driving skills to have avoided the accident. But, when I see the Honda starting to go into that turn, my radar went on....not saying I could have slowed down in time, but, I think I may have avoided that collision. When I saw the possibility he or she was going to make a left turn I was weighing in my mind what that driver could possibly do, that I may have to try and avoid.
    Don't get on the road?

• Options
    venture said:

They don't really want to kill you, but they obviously think killing you is an acceptable price to save 15 seconds, or check that really important and life changing cat video they got from their friend via the iMessage.

2018 430i Gran Coupe