Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• Options
    28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,396
    Or check the secondary market and shops and don’t rely on the dealer for everything.
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
  • Options
    bwiabwia Member Posts: 2,913
    driver100 said:

Mike, hoping for the best possible outcome.

@Mike, we all have you in our prayers.
  • Options
    jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,566
    driver100 said:

Just saw this story on the national news in Canada.
    Guy buys a 2013 used Nissan Leaf a few years ago. Guy loves the car.
    Now he finds it is losing power quickly, can't drive far.
    To save the battery he tries not to use heat or a/c.
    The cost of a new battery would be $13000, more than the car is worth.
    He is upset Nissan doesn't have a way to fix the problem, for a more reasonable cost.
    It also upsets him that he bought an environmentally friendly car and now there is a battery that is going to get dumped.
    Nissans only real solution is to trade it in on a new model.
    This is why I prefer tried and true technology!

This is what happens when you’re afraid to buy higher wattage light bulbs and you’re afraid to turn the heat up or the A/C down. Some people will never learn that there ain’t no such thing as a free lunch.

jmonroe

'15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • Options
    suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676

stickguy said:

Snake, the question to me is, do you really need the extra car? I assume the only real purpose is to keep the BMW in the garage when the roads are crappy? If so, and you would have to replace it, might as well fix it up and let it take the abuse. If you would not replace it anyway, might as well dump it, get some cash, free up garage or driveway space, and lower insurance.

Plus since the top doesn't work, of no real use in the nice weather (plus you have a nice convertible).

We really don't need the extra car and your presumption is correct but we wouldn't be replacing it should we dump it.

As for nice weather, yes we have a real nice convertible plus the bike B)
    I’d take the $400.
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • Options
    suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    So sorry Mike. Hope it turns out well.
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • Options
  • Options
    Hang in there, Mike. Good vibes being sent you and your son’s way.
  • Options
    driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,977
    edited October 2020
    jmonroe1 said:

driver100 said:

He is upset Nissan doesn't have a way to fix the problem, for a more reasonable cost.
    It also upsets him that he bought an environmentally friendly car and now there is a battery that is going to get dumped.

This is what happens when you’re afraid to buy higher wattage light bulbs and you’re afraid to turn the heat up or the A/C down. Some people will never learn that there ain’t no such thing as a free lunch.

jmonroe

.....and who are we talking about? Afraid of higher wattage light bulbs or turning the heat up or a/c down. And what does that have to do with buying an E-Car?

You can't be talking about me....I am converting light bulbs to strong LEDs as they burn out, the temperature is set to 74F.....if I can't be in Florida this winter, and in the summer the thermostat was set at 72F which was fine......no fear :)

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

• Options
    The complete story about the Nissan Leaf is here...plus a 2 minute video. And he did try a few dealers and some indie garages.
    https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/nissan-leaf-electric-vehicle-new-battery-1.5769998

• Options
    Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,971
    72 is pretty chilly to be honest. Our newer York unit is downright cold when it's set at 78 so we keep it at 79 and it's comfortable. It has a SEER rating of 17 which we were told was very good and our FPL bill since we got it has been very reasonable.

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,096
    The ATS is at the dealer this morning for regular service and much to my surprise when I got there, they told me the complimentary Cadillac maintenance is still valid for another year. I know that when I bought the car that the salesman told me Caddy had downgraded the free maintenance from 4 years to 3, so either they made a mistake on my file or Caddy changed the program and didn't tell me. Whatever, that also meant I got a loaner/rental from them, which I wasn't counting on today. Since I didn't know I was entitled to one I didn't ask for a reservation when I made the appointment last week. When I do that they always have a Cadillac of some sort to give me for the day but today I got a Buck Encore GX since I was at their mercy.

I always sort of looked down on the Encore because its styling makes it look tall and stubby. I guess it truly is that, but I have to say I am reasonably impressed with how it drives. The little 1.3L Turbo engine has lots of zip off the line though it runs out of breath pretty quickly when you put your foot down on the highway. Nice room up front and in the cargo bay too, though the rear seat looks a bit tight. I think I'll take it out for a short trip to the grocery store later, its natural environment.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
    driver100 said:

jmonroe1 said:

driver100 said:

jmonroe

.....and who are we talking about? Afraid of higher wattage light bulbs or turning the heat up or a/c down. And what does that have to do with buying an E-Car?

You can't be talking about me....I am converting light bulbs to strong LEDs as they burn out, the temperature is set to 74F.....if I can't be in Florida this winter, and in the summer the thermostat was set at 72F which was fine......no fear :)
    My, my, aren’t we paranoid. I wasn’t talking about you. I was talking about people who are afraid to live life because of the fear they aren’t being environmentally conscious. I’m not advocating being wasteful but do what you want to do if you can afford it. Like buying a car, I’ve never bought a car because it gave good gas mileage. Everything else came before that. Maybe that’s because I don’t drive 25K miles a year.

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    jmonroe1 said:

driver100 said:

jmonroe1 said:

driver100 said:

jmonroe

My, my, aren’t we paranoid. I wasn’t talking about you. I was talking about people who are afraid to live life because of the fear they aren’t being environmentally conscious. I’m not advocating being wasteful but do what you want to do if you can afford it. Like buying a car, I’ve never bought a car because it gave good gas mileage. Everything else came before that. Maybe that’s because I don’t drive 25K miles a year.

jmonroe
    In that case I guess I will have to agree with you....might be the first and last time. :p

• Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,950
    driver100 said:

The complete story about the Nissan Leaf is here...plus a 2 minute video. And he did try a few dealers and some indie garages.
    https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/nissan-leaf-electric-vehicle-new-battery-1.5769998

Must be a Canadian problem. Seem to be plenty of choices in the US.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    ab348 said:

I always sort of looked down on the Encore because its styling makes it look tall and stubby.

That's what gets me.........it is tall and narrow, doesn't look like it will stay on the road around a sharp bend. I sometimes have the radio or TV on in my office and when they have an Encore commercial they ask "Alexa, start my car" or something, and my Alexa comes on and says something like "I am not able to do that". It is very annoying!

OTOH, I like the one when she gets a text the Jones's are coming for dinner, she goes and buys four steaks to make for dinner, then she rushes to the door to find out it is only to babysit their kids, and the little girl says "Where's the pizza" At least it was cute the first 50 times I saw it.

• Options
    qbrozen said:

driver100 said:

Must be a Canadian problem. Seem to be plenty of choices in the US.
    Very possible. Canada has only 10% of the population and they probably sell many more in proportion in the U.S., because of some states like California. It probably isn't practical to make or ship cheap batteries to Canada for the number of cars affected. Maybe he could try a wreckers.

• Options
    driver100 said:

jmonroe1 said:

driver100 said:

jmonroe1 said:

driver100 said:

jmonroe

jmonroe
    In that case I guess I will have to agree with you....might be the first and last time. :p
    So, what you’re saying is, that you don’t want to be right more than once in your life. That’s not being paranoid, that’s being down right dopey. :o

jmonroe

• Options
    houdini1houdini1 Member Posts: 8,327
    qbrozen said:

bwia said:

Meet the 2021 Genesis GV80. It may not carry the price tag of a Bentley Bentayga but the interior design and sophistication of the GV80 is equal to or surpasses the Bentayga.

Are these your words or those from a published article?
    That whole thing is from Car and Driver.

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

• Options
    houdini1 said:

qbrozen said:

bwia said:

Meet the 2021 Genesis GV80. It may not carry the price tag of a Bentley Bentayga but the interior design and sophistication of the GV80 is equal to or surpasses the Bentayga.

I agree with ab on this phenomenon. Usually reviewers give a new car a very positive write up. Not sure what their motivation is, maybe so they will be at the top of the list when another new model comes out, maybe to secure their ability to get new models to test, maybe they want new launches to be successful. Maybe there is an initial thrill factor of trying out a new model. I have heard positive reviews for new cars going back to the 60s, and I always take them with a bit of skepticism.

• Options
    houdini1 said:

qbrozen said:

bwia said:

Just making sure because you put quotes on the 2nd post, but not the first. I was going to ask you when you drove a Bentayga. :)

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,971
    The regular Encore is the smaller version, the Encore GX is new for 2020 and is a bit longer at 172". I drove the regular Encore about 2 months ago and was underwhelmed as I went in to try the GX model. Looking back, should've driven the GX while I was there just to see how differently it drove. As it turns out, decided to just fix the current VW Golf and keep it for another year. Turns out within 10 days, it needed a new battery, the axle boot repair and a new tire due to a screw in it which was un-repairable. I always get the road hazard policy when I buy new tires as things well, things just happen. I took it in for what I thought was a nail in the drivers rear but turned out, the screw was in the passengers rear. Cost me $48 and I was back on the road with a new Goodyear GT tire. The other three are just over a year old and show no wear, very happy with my first time buying Goodyear tires. Went in wanting the Assurance tire but the sales guy also drove a VW Golf, a GTI, and said he had them and I should give 'em a shot. The rebate was the same, $160 in gift cards, so took his advice and am very pleased.
    The new VW's I'm interested in won't be out till sometime in 2021 so decided to just fix the current Golf and wait. Since my driving is now down to less than 5K per year, just made sense to fix her and soldier on. With just over 65K on the clock, makes no sense to get a brand new vehicle right now. Not much excites me and not much in the size I need to have, under 174" due to limited parking in our two car garage.

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• Options
    carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,498
    @abacomike, sorry to hear about your son’s headaches. There is a syndrome of that for those who have had a history high dose radiation. Hoping it turns out the best possible scenario - sending positive thoughts and prayers your way.
  • Options

The regular Encore is the smaller version, the Encore GX is new for 2020 and is a bit longer at 172". I drove the regular Encore about 2 months ago and was underwhelmed as I went in to try the GX model.

Just back from driving it for a bit and I have to say it is pretty decent. I don't have any experience with its competitors so I have nothing to compare it with but I'm surprised by this thing. The little turbo 3-cylinder is a strange choice but it moves it quite well without a whole lot of drama. It has the typical GM quick throttle tip-in which makes it quick off the line but even without that it moves well, handles decently for what it is and is smooth, quiet and comfortable. I read a C&D review of it that criticized it for too many plasticky pieces in the interior - something that seems to be a requirement for all auto reviewers to state when dealing with a GM car - and I frankly do not see that at all. The seats (cloth in this one) are quite comfy too. I don't know how well it competes with the others in the category but given you usually get deals on GM products I suspect it probably is pretty comparable.

• Options
    mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,280
    @abacomike - Hoping for a good report for your son
  • Options
    oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,676
    jmonroe1 said:

Question for those who care. I finally got the Sebring into the mechanic who said it would be $825 to fix it up. This includes replacing the part that's leaking, replacing the thermostat, flushing the system and replacing the battery as they said testing it it was not fully holding the charge (it's around 5 years old or so). Add to this the fact that I have to renew the registration by the end of the month which is going to be about $145, Thank you governor [non permissible content removed] so we are looking at nearly a grand to get back on the road.

On the other hand I have an offer of $400 for it as is.

So its a 13 year old Chrysler with 143K miles and some issues and I am thinking of cutting my losses and taking the $400, but it could last a few more years and with winter coming soon it would still be a good beater car for the snow and stuff that's coming.

What say all of you?

Well, the Sonata is old enough to take over winter beater duty and the prime function of the Sebring doesn’t work and can be taken over by your other convertible I’d say send it down the road. Getting 143k out of a Chrysler is a cause for celebration.
    Yeah what you said. Any Chrysler that has 143K miles on it has been on borrowed time for 142K miles.

jmonroe

I wouldn’t go that far but my personal experience tells me a domestic car is iffy after 130k. A lot of things can alter that, rust for instance, in my area can end an otherwise road worthy vehicle.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options
    abacomike said:

Just spoke with my son who lives in the Coachella Valley in the Palm Springs area of California. My grandson told me that my son was suffering from migraines the past few weeks when I called him last week.

As you all know, he had an inoperable malignant brain tumor in the rear of his cerebrum about 5-6 years ago. He underwent proton radiation at Loma Linda Medical Center near Riverside and after 6-8 months of heavy doses, the tumor disappeared.

When we spoke today, he was very guarded about discussing his health with me. He said he doesn’t want people to feel sorry for him or pity him. He had tests done and said he is waiting for results.

All I can say at this time is that I am very scared that the cancer has returned. I hope he levels with me when he gets the results. If it is cancer, I will fly out there immediately. I am praying that God will watch over him and see to it that he is well. 😔

Not knowing is the worst part. Hope the news is good.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options
    driver100 said:

Seems like Nissan can’t be bothered standing behind their product. Parts wearing out prematurely is understandable but telling a customer that he’s just out of luck boggles the mind.

No wonder they’re going bankrupt.

• Options

driver100 said:

Seems like Nissan can’t be bothered standing behind their product. Parts wearing out prematurely is understandable but telling a customer that he’s just out of luck boggles the mind.

No wonder they’re going bankrupt.
    It would be really difficult for me to buy any product from a company that has poor customer service or support. If they sell a product they should have a way to fix it at a reasonable cost.

• Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,558
    I hope your Mercedes doesn't have airmatic suspension. That falls into that category of something that fails often and costs a ton to fix, in a system that should not be nearly that complicated.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,365
    edited October 2020

Or check the secondary market and shops and don’t rely on the dealer for everything.

If all someone knows how to do is to walk into a dealer's service department, hand them their credit card, drop their pants and grab their ankles, I don't feel especially sorry for them. I know nothing about the Leaf, but the i3 utilizes multiple battery cells- and one or more can be replaced it they go bad.
    A lot also depends on the dealer. As an example, some E39 radiators had a plastic vent hose elbow that snapped into the top of the left side tank. BMW didn't sell the fitting separately, so if it started to leak many dealers replaced the radiator. It turned out Mercedes used the identical plastic fitting and sold it as an individual part. Smart dealers and indie shops used the Mercedes part to fix the issue, gaining them some goodwill from their customers.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• Options
    stickguy said:

I hope your Mercedes doesn't have airmatic suspension. That falls into that category of something that fails often and costs a ton to fix, in a system that should not be nearly that complicated.

No airmatic but lots of other things that could be costly if they break down. When costly things start to go the car gets dumped. Cars are becoming like TVs, no sense repairing them if something major goes depending on the value of the car.

• Options
    snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,330
    The saga continues, We decided we needed more time to think about the Sebring and went to pick it up and get it home. Got the keys went to the car turned the key and nothing, not even the click, click, click associated with a super low battery. They were able to get it going and I was able to get it home. The check engine light was on as well as the electronic throttle control light. It is now sitting in the driveway getting no power from the battery.

Looks like I'm going to be $400 richer and shy one car.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

• Options
    abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,258
    edited October 2020

The saga continues, We decided we needed more time to think about the Sebring and went to pick it up and get it home. Got the keys went to the car turned the key and nothing, not even the click, click, click associated with a super low battery. They were able to get it going and I was able to get it home. The check engine light was on as well as the electronic throttle control light. It is now sitting in the driveway getting no power from the battery.

Looks like I'm going to be $400 richer and shy one car.

If you asked for my opinion NOW, I would not waste energy on flipping that coin, Snake. Just get rid of it before your driveway turns orangey from rust or oily from leaks! 😜🤓

You might even donate it to the local VocEd school or High School mechanics department - that’s if they’d accept your “gift”!

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    Have drifted in an out here for a little bit. Haven’t caught up on the pages I missed. But, wanted to give a hearty thanks to you guys for reaching out to me via IM. Truly appreciate it.

I’m not one to whine, but over the past month, have had two more retinal detachments (3 counting the original). BP crashed during one surgery (84 over 56) which caused a highly unusual trip to the “big hospital” for a night’s stay so they could pump me full of fluids to get the BP back up. They won’t say the cause, but I suspect it was an over aggressive anesthesiologist. 3rd detachment happened less than a week after the 2nd one. Have gone to 2 other retinal surgeons for 2nd and 3rd opinions. All say there is no precedent for 3 retinal detachments in the same eye.

Being mostly face down during the day, and sleeping (really can’t call it that) nose pointing to floor while sleeping for the last 4 weeks has left my shoulders and neck sore, and a bit mentally flaky and delusional given the constant prone position. Pressure build up from having first, gas put in my eye to hold the retina in place, and next, oil being the more durable retina placeholder, pressure got very high with the surgeries. So, they had to relieve the pressure by literally sticking needles in my eye. Not fun.

Obvious questions...yes, I can get up for the necessary bathroom breaks and am able to eat, but with my face facing down at my food.

This week I’ve been able to sleep on my side and sit up. That’s a huge relief. Face is swollen. Rainbow colored eye is starting to heal. Both are getting better, though.

End result, I’m now legally blind. That’s defined as one eye being 20/1000 uncorrected. The amount of sight out of the eye will probably be limited to differentiating between light and dark, so no amount of prescription will bring back that sight. I’ve made my peace with that given my “good eye” is 20/25.

Have used the iPhone’s/iPad’s quite accurate voice recognition to communicate with those who texted and called, as well as for IMs and brief posts here.

My car courier business has been tended to by a couple of friends. Good news/bad news, I haven’t missed any transports as business slowed way down at the beginning of Oct. Bad news is I may not be able to continue it if I can’t get a restricted driver’s license while using one good eye (which believer it or not, is possible).

Thanks for those here who stepped up and IMd me about helping me with the transports. Still may take you up on your offers. Trying to plot a course forward at this point. The plan is....I had no plan.....that took this into account.

Again, thanks for being patient with me and offering kind words and offers of help. Y’all are some great people.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • Options
    stickguy said:

I had Airmatic on the S450 and liked the feature. BUT, you are correct in that when, not if, it goes the financial consequences would be horrific if out of warranty. I don’t have it on the E450 but I must admit that I miss that feature in terms of ride!

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,928
    @graphicguy
    So sorry to hear of this ordeal. I just can't imagine what you are going through. Hang in there, your Edmunds family is pulling for you.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• Options

Have drifted in an out here for a little bit. Haven’t caught up on the pages I missed. But, wanted to give a hearty thanks to you guys for reaching out to me via IM. Truly appreciate it.

I’m not one to whine, but over the past month, have had two more retinal detachments (3 counting the original). BP crashed during one surgery (84 over 56) which caused a highly unusual trip to the “big hospital” for a night’s stay so they could pump me full of fluids to get the BP back up. They won’t say the cause, but I suspect it was an over aggressive anesthesiologist. 3rd detachment happened less than a week after the 2nd one. Have gone to 2 other retinal surgeons for 2nd and 3rd opinions. All say there is no precedent for 3 retinal detachments in the same eye.

Being mostly face down during the day, and sleeping (really can’t call it that) nose pointing to floor while sleeping for the last 4 weeks has left my shoulders and neck sore, and a bit mentally flaky and delusional given the constant prone position. Pressure build up from having first, gas put in my eye to hold the retina in place, and next, oil being the more durable retina placeholder, pressure got very high with the surgeries. So, they had to relieve the pressure by literally sticking needles in my eye. Not fun.

Obvious questions...yes, I can get up for the necessary bathroom breaks and am able to eat, but with my face facing down at my food.

This week I’ve been able to sleep on my side and sit up. That’s a huge relief. Face is swollen. Rainbow colored eye is starting to heal. Both are getting better, though.

End result, I’m now legally blind. That’s defined as one eye being 20/1000 uncorrected. The amount of sight out of the eye will probably be limited to differentiating between light and dark, so no amount of prescription will bring back that sight. I’ve made my peace with that given my “good eye” is 20/25.

Have used the iPhone’s/iPad’s quite accurate voice recognition to communicate with those who texted and called, as well as for IMs and brief posts here.

My car courier business has been tended to by a couple of friends. Good news/bad news, I haven’t missed any transports as business slowed way down at the beginning of Oct. Bad news is I may not be able to continue it if I can’t get a restricted driver’s license while using one good eye (which believer it or not, is possible).

Thanks for those here who stepped up and IMd me about helping me with the transports. Still may take you up on your offers. Trying to plot a course forward at this point. The plan is....I had no plan.....that took this into account.

Again, thanks for being patient with me and offering kind words and offers of help. Y’all are some great people.

I feel so very, very bad for you GG. My prayers for you went unanswered, sorry to say. You have one good eye now which needs to be taken good care of.

If there is anything I could do to help, give me a shout. Even if you need a warm vacation this winter - I have a large bedroom that is vacant most of the time. God’s speed, GG!

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,330

My father was legally blind in one eye which 4F'd him 3 times during WWII. He had no issues getting unrestricted drivers licenses.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

• Options
    abacomike said:

stickguy said:

I had Airmatic on the S450 and liked the feature. BUT, you are correct in that when, not if, it goes the financial consequences would be horrific if out of warranty. I don’t have it on the E450 but I must admit that I miss that feature in terms of ride!
    My 2004 Grand Marquis had air ride. Luckily it never went. It's not nearly as complex as the MB system but still pricey.

• Options
    tjc78 said:

@graphicguy
    So sorry to hear of this ordeal. I just can't imagine what you are going through. Hang in there, your Edmunds family is pulling for you.

same. Not much you can do but take it day to day and hope it finally gets resolved.

• Options
    abacomike said:

stickguy said:

the Car Wizard did a couple of videos related to aging MBs with air suspension. One was showing a kit he put on a CL (2005ish maybe?) that replaced the air with normal struts. Still pricey, but much less than new air units.

• Options
    tjc78 said:

abacomike said:

stickguy said:

My 2004 Grand Marquis had air ride. Luckily it never went. It's not nearly as complex as the MB system but still pricey.
    I thought that everyone just through on normal shocks/springs in the back when that went? It was just rear, right?

• Options
    dad23dad23 Member Posts: 870
    @graphicguy
    Not the news we were hoping for, this just sucks! Hopefully things will improve...
  • Options
    So sorry to hear @graphicguy. That’s a brutal experience. Hang in there.
  • Options
    Yes, just rear. It depends. If you ignored the bags leaking and blew out the compressor than yes probably better to just coil swap it. If you are proactive and replace the bags when they start leaking (you can tell) then it's not too bad to do it right.

• Options
    roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,365

So sorry to hear about that. We are still in your corner.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• Options
    @graphicguy. Damn, i'm so sorry to hear that. I gotta wonder what the point of all the suffering is if you'll never get the sight back. Did they hope it could be fixed better?

But, I'm glad to hear you are thankful for the one eye. That is the better outlook to keep in mind.

• Options
    Sorry to hear this news GG. I know all about the BP crash thing as that has happened to me a few times, one time I was within minutes or even seconds of being dead in fact. Any recourse possible? A big bag of cash won't bring back your vision on that side but might make it easier to take.

• Options
    fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,175
    I think the newer cars hold up fine, but older airmatic/ABC has left a generation of S-class as virtually unwanted - they will be very rare in another 20 years.
    stickguy said:

• Options
    oh yeah, ABC is the right term.