2024 Chevy Blazer EV lease from Bayway Auto Group Click here

2024 Jeep Grand Cherokee lease from Mark Dodge Click here

2025 Ram 1500 Factory Order Discounts from Mark Dodge Click here
Options

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• Options
    imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,202
    I don't recommend the mulching if it's a yard where you'll be walking occasionally as the weather gets wet and snowy. The pieces of leaves stick to your shoes and track into the house and garage. I used to be a full on environmentalist and thought it was best to mulch leaves because, well, just because. But they're messy.

I mulch the grass clippings.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,891
    I mow my leaves. Works great. Just have to rake the big piles first so the push mower can handle it.

Also smart to leave all your planting beds covered with leaves.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    My “I’m the guy” projects from yesterday. Had to move the latch on my back gate since it was too low. Quite the pain because I forgot to charge the cordless drill, so required manual screwdriver. Into pressure treated post.

Also replaced an overhead socket in the basement. The pull chain type, since the chain broke inside the housing. So fun with electricity! But, qualified as a success. Turned the breaker back on, the light bulb went on, no sparks shot out, and house has not yet burned down! I call that a win,

Oh, best tool ever, a probe wand to tell you if wires are hot. An actual life saver.

• Options
    graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,670
    stickguy said:

Samcrac just dropped a video on the gen 1 TT. It was, let's just say, less than complimentary.

Saw that. I was surprised he even wanted the TT, except it had a V6 vs the 4 cyl. He acted like TTs were the bane of automotive existence.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • Options
    jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,735
    stickguy said:

My “I’m the guy” projects from yesterday. Had to move the latch on my back gate since it was too low. Quite the pain because I forgot to charge the cordless drill, so required manual screwdriver. Into pressure treated post.

Also replaced an overhead socket in the basement. The pull chain type, since the chain broke inside the housing. So fun with electricity! But, qualified as a success. Turned the breaker back on, the light bulb went on, no sparks shot out, and house has not yet burned down! I call that a win,

Oh, best tool ever, a probe wand to tell you if wires are hot. An actual life saver.

Wimp. Why do you think they invented fingers?😳

jmonroe

'15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's.
    '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • Options
    Good point bill have the wife work on the box end while I flip the breakers!

• Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,228
    I spent a couple of hours raking leaves yesterday afternoon. The raking part wasn't so bad but bagging them was quite literally a pain in the back. More leaves need wrangling today. These ones might see the mower.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 241,083
    I don't mulch the leaves. I have a pretty good mower, and I always mulch the grass, but the leaves aren't in small enough pieces to return to the soil.

Our city comes by three times in the fall. You can blow or rake your leaves over the curb, and they come suck them up, and mulch them, en masse. (on a schedule for each street). We have a lot of 80-120 yr old houses in town, and a massive amount of trees/leaves.

Our house is just 22 years old, and it isn't really worth it for us to take advantage of that, so I just bag them with the mower. In bagging mode, it vacuums them up fairly clean. If the timing works out, I'll dump them out of the bags at the curb, and let the city take them.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    stickguy said:

Good point bill have the wife work on the box end while I flip the breakers!

Years ago when I was in the electrical gang we had a guy who would check 120 VAC and even 220 VAC circuits with 2 fingers on either hand (NEVER do this with 1 finger on each hand) but he drew the line when it came to 440 VAC circuits).

jmonroe

• Options
    Another Costco story....didn’t get into a long thread over my washer/dryer. But, it was a 9+ year old LG pair. The reason I bought them, they came with a 10 year motor warranty. Dug out the Best Buy receipt, and noticed I paid $1,200 (tax, delivery, etc) nearly a decade ago. Must have been the best ones they carried.

Onward....from the sound if it, it sounded like the bearings were bad. Made a terrible racket when the motor was spinning the tub. I guess I might have misdiagnosed it, but was fairly confident I was right. Called LG and told them what was happening. They do not employ their own service people around here. But, they send out contractors. They had a contractor get in touch with me.

He said he was busy until mid December. And, he would charge me up front for the service charge and repair, and I would have to be reimbursed by LG. AND, if it wasn’t the motor, I would have to foot the entire bill with no reimbursement. Talked to another service company LG recommended and got the same story. I keep hearing how our appliances are throw away. Now, I know the reason. Service companies are so difficult to deal with, it’s easier (and sometimes less expensive) to buy something new.

Girlfriend insisted she accompany me for a new pair. As she put it, “you’ll buy the one with all the tech that you’ll never use”. Couldn’t argue her logic.

Went to Best Buy first. Is there some sort of backlog on washers? Everyone we liked seemed to be backlogged.

What I noticed, there is a lot of cross pollination between brands. They are all using similar electronics, and tubs (I guess the shiny silver tubs are the rage (they call them diamond tubs). Used to be Maytag was the pinnacle of these appliances. Ummmm....now they just look/feel like another brand...in some instances, a little flimsier feeling, to boot. Whirlpool, Amana, Electrolux, etc, all fell more or less about the same. I liked a GE washer. GF liked a Samsung. I deferred to her.

But, now the laundry pair would not match. Not an issue for me. For her? That was sacrilege. She was compelling. If I was going to actually sell my house, and people saw a mismatched pair in the laundry room, it would affect the perception of the house (not sure I buy that, but whatever). And, if the washer died, how far behind would the drier be given it has a motor from the same company? Point well taken.

Anyway, again, $1,200 later and my Costco card was flaming.

Delivery set up for yesterday. Costco doesn’t deliver, but they had a company who did that for a fee. Delivery guys show up. Hook everything up. Leave me laundry room trashed (they were clearly in a hurry and left puddles on the floor, after I tightened the faucets, which they left loose). Went to Costco to inform them of the mess that was left (including iPhone pictures I showed them). Not their responsibility, but they reimbursed me for the delivery failure.

That’s why I like Costco.
  • Options

Another Costco story....didn’t get into a long thread over my washer/dryer. But, it was a 9+ year old LG pair. The reason I bought them, they came with a 10 year motor warranty. Dug out the Best Buy receipt, and noticed I paid $1,200 (tax, delivery, etc) nearly a decade ago. Must have been the best ones they carried.

Onward....from the sound if it, it sounded like the bearings were bad. Made a terrible racket when the motor was spinning the tub. I guess I might have misdiagnosed it, but was fairly confident I was right. Called LG and told them what was happening. They do not employ their own service people around here. But, they send out contractors. They had a contractor get in touch with me.

He said he was busy until mid December. And, he would charge me up front for the service charge and repair, and I would have to be reimbursed by LG. AND, if it wasn’t the motor, I would have to foot the entire bill with no reimbursement. Talked to another service company LG recommended and got the same story. I keep hearing how our appliances are throw away. Now, I know the reason. Service companies are so difficult to deal with, it’s easier (and sometimes less expensive) to buy something new.

Girlfriend insisted she accompany me for a new pair. As she put it, “you’ll buy the one with all the tech that you’ll never use”. Couldn’t argue her logic.

Went to Best Buy first. Is there some sort of backlog on washers? Everyone we liked seemed to be backlogged.

What I noticed, there is a lot of cross pollination between brands. They are all using similar electronics, and tubs (I guess the shiny silver tubs are the rage (they call them diamond tubs). Used to be Maytag was the pinnacle of these appliances. Ummmm....now they just look/feel like another brand...in some instances, a little flimsier feeling, to boot. Whirlpool, Amana, Electrolux, etc, all fell more or less about the same. I liked a GE washer. GF liked a Samsung. I deferred to her.

But, now the laundry pair would not match. Not an issue for me. For her? That was sacrilege. She was compelling. If I was going to actually sell my house, and people saw a mismatched pair in the laundry room, it would affect the perception of the house (not sure I buy that, but whatever). And, if the washer died, how far behind would the drier be given it has a motor from the same company? Point well taken.

Delivery set up for yesterday. Costco doesn’t deliver, but they had a company who did that for a fee. Delivery guys show up. Hook everything up. Leave me laundry room trashed (they were clearly in a hurry and left puddles on the floor, after I tightened the faucets, which they left loose). Went to Costco to inform them of the mess that was left (including iPhone pictures I showed them). Not their responsibility, but they reimbursed me for the delivery failure.

It sounds like your GF would have a conniption that would set the world on fire if she had an avocado green dryer with an un-matched white washer like we had awhile back. Mrs. j is fashion conscious but for some reason that didn’t bother her.

As for Costco, there is one about 10 miles from us so I have never gone there but I’ve never heard a bad thing about them.

Good luck with the new matched set.

jmonroe

• Options
    I agree with the GF About getting a matching set if you are planning to sell. It really can make a big difference. Because people are weird!

• Options
    oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,863
    kyfdx said:

I don't mulch the leaves. I have a pretty good mower, and I always mulch the grass, but the leaves aren't in small enough pieces to return to the soil.

Our city comes by three times in the fall. You can blow or rake your leaves over the curb, and they come suck them up, and mulch them, en masse. (on a schedule for each street). We have a lot of 80-120 yr old houses in town, and a massive amount of trees/leaves.

Our house is just 22 years old, and it isn't really worth it for us to take advantage of that, so I just bag them with the mower. In bagging mode, it vacuums them up fairly clean. If the timing works out, I'll dump them out of the bags at the curb, and let the city take them.

My neighbor who has a property almost as big as mine spends days raking leaves and pine needles from the hundred or so pines and deciduous he planted on our property line. He puts them out on the curb in bags for the town to haul away and then goes to the town to haul compost back for his garden in the Spring.

Seems counterproductive to me.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options
    edited November 2020
    stickguy said:

I agree with the GF About getting a matching set if you are planning to sell. It really can make a big difference. Because people are weird!

Sound like the girl friend likes spending GG’s money on appliances as much as his Edmunds buddies like helping him spend his money on cars🚗

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options
    driver100driver100 Member Posts: 32,016
    GG. Those guarantees are more trouble than they are worth. They'll find a way not to honor it anyway. You got 9 years of use for $1200, a little more than $100 a year, you did well.
    The new ones cost the same amount and are probably much better......may not last as long.
    Companies like LG make good products but they don't have a real service network - These days companies figure 5% of customers will have a problem......if they want to complain they can buy something else next time, for every customer we lose we gain one from Samsung or somebody. Customers aren't loyal, why worry about it.....just worry about the bottom line for this quarter so we can all keep our jobs.

Always always buy a matching pair....only JMonroe would have olive green and white. You may as well bite the bullet, they both will never go at the same time.

Thanks guys for the tips about leaves and mulch.....I'll probably let the guy figure that one out. But, I like the guy who bags his leaves for the city and then goes into town to buy fertilizer....probably made from his leaves.

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

• Options
    edited November 2020
    My LG washer/dryer pair is 10 years old. I only do 2-3 loads a week so that is pretty light duty. They still work fine, but on the washer the LED control panel indicator crapped out a few years ago, displaying jibberish. I checked and it is a common problem and LG does not supply the part. So I live with it. I only use the basic functions so I don't need it anyway. The manual got misplaced 3 years ago when the laundry room got renovated and I still haven't found it so I can't use the advanced stuff anyway until that turns up.

Having said all that I would be hesitant to buy either LG or Samsung appliances again because of the parts/service availability issues. Certainly the horror stories I've heard up here about Samsung refrigerators would make me avoid their appliances.

GG, Maytag was bought by Whirlpool a number of years ago after their ill-fated Neptune series of washers resulted in lots of lawsuits and damage claims. I think they were in or close to bankruptcy when Whirlpool grabbed them. Now they are a lower-level brand, below the Whirlpool line.

• Options
    dino001dino001 Member Posts: 6,188
    edited November 2020
    Yeah, those long limited warranties for main unit of an appliance are gimmicks, I no longer consider them a part of equation. By 10 years you find out parts are no longer available and all that nonsense with reimbursements. Heck, with LG they're not available ever (remind you my dishwasher story from two years ago).

I've been sniffing around getting a new W/D, but there is nothing really wrong with my dryer. The washer can get kind of noisy with certain loads at certain speeds (knocking sounds), but it keeps going, so I'm not really in a rush. Both of these appliances are 15 years old now, so it's amazing how long they're going. To be fair, I live by myself and has been using dry cleaner for my shirts and pants for last several years, so the workload was clearly below average. I like some of those new washers features, but will wait till this one gives up its ghost.

I buy from two sources: either Costco, if they have an exact item I like, or local chain called Famous Tate (it's a part of Brand Source alliance of smaller stores/chains). These guys are head and shoulders above others in terms of selection, sales staff's knowledge and general experience, including delivery and post-sale service. Every time I go to Home Depot, Lowes, or Best Buy, I get confirmation for my preferred appliance sources. My last purchase was a GE Profile induction stove. Costco didn't have the specific model, thus I went with FT. Pricey, but great rig, love it, purchase and delivery were great.

2018 430i Gran Coupe

• Options
    dino001 said:

My last purchase was a GE Profile induction stove. Costco didn't have the specific model, thus I went with FT. Pricey, but great rig, love it, purchase and delivery were great.

I find that interesting. GE appliances often don't seem to come up in the conversation very often and they don't seem to be promoted by the company through their retail channels the way other brands are, and so are not top-of-mind for consumers. I know I never used to have a very good opinion of them. But when the last kitchen reno was done here in 2001, I bought a GE dishwasher and a GE glass-top slide-in range only because I got a good deal on them at the time through Sears, and they have been flawless. I keep waiting for one or the other to quit on me and but so far so good.

• Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 241,083
    GE has been a few years behind on clothes washer technology for awhile, now. Possible that they've caught up, since the last time I shopped.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,328

Why do I find the sentence “Girlfriend insisted that she accompany me for a new pair” quite hilarious when taken out of context?
  • Options
    sdasda Member Posts: 7,032
    Our last washer that we had to replace about 3 years ago was only 6 years old and we were told the part to fix it was not available. This washer (and dryer) replaced a 15+ year old Maytag set that was going strong, but we were afraid its days were numbered. Being proactive, not wanting to experience a break down, we opted to spend $$ on a new set. When the 'new' washer failed at 6 years, that meant a new dryer too. Can't have a mis-matched set when you walk thru the utility room from the garage!

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• Options

stickguy said:

Sound like the girl friend likes spending GG’s money on appliance as much as his Edmunds buddies like helping him spend his money on cars🚗
    Correct on both counts. ;)
  • Options
    andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,798
    mjfloyd1 said:

andres3 said:

I saved a life today. Maybe instead of putting little yellow signs on their cars and their yards that tell drivers to watch out for motorcycles, the cyclists should put up signs to watch for red lights and to ride carefully.

It's called natural selection. I didn't own a car until I was 21. Prior to that I rode motorcycles for five years, first in the mountains of AZ, then in Tempe. I learned quickly that if I wasn't paying attention for sure no one else was.

Either way, thanks for saving him. . .for now. His time will come.

Hey, I wired a large chunk of change to your State! Specifically Arrowhead BMW as they had a low-mile 2015 S4 in Misano Red that they should be delivering to me by truck shortly. Deal is done; now that the money is paid. Will be daily driving the S4 again.
    Please tell me that you paid for a PPI (and that it comes with two key fobs)
    Funny, I did catch the 2 key fobs on the video. Not sure if they did that on purpose.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    ab348 said:

My LG washer/dryer pair is 10 years old. I only do 2-3 loads a week so that is pretty light duty. They still work fine, but on the washer the LED control panel indicator crapped out a few years ago, displaying jibberish. I checked and it is a common problem and LG does not supply the part. So I live with it. I only use the basic functions so I don't need it anyway. The manual got misplaced 3 years ago when the laundry room got renovated and I still haven't found it so I can't use the advanced stuff anyway until that turns up.

Having said all that I would be hesitant to buy either LG or Samsung appliances again because of the parts/service availability issues. Certainly the horror stories I've heard up here about Samsung refrigerators would make me avoid their appliances.

GG, Maytag was bought by Whirlpool a number of years ago after their ill-fated Neptune series of washers resulted in lots of lawsuits and damage claims. I think they were in or close to bankruptcy when Whirlpool grabbed them. Now they are a lower-level brand, below the Whirlpool line.

Now that you mention that, I recall the purchase by Whirlpool.

GE sold their appliance division to China’s Haier.

LG and Samsung make great TVs. Have an LG sound bar for my bedroom TV (connected to Panasonic Plasma). It has been at their warranty service dept more than hooked to my TV. They pay to have it sent to their service dept in CA. Sent it back 3 times. They pay $120 to have it sent to them, and I assume the same amount to send it back to me (FedEx). As of right now, they have spent more to ship it than I paid for it to begin with.

I have had a Samsung gas stove for about a decade. No problems. Dishwasher is a Kitchenaid. It has been great, too.

GF likes to feel she has input. I don’t mind, as long as her input won’t interfere with anything in the home I care about. Washer/Dryer falls in the category of “I don’t care”.
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    Shark vacuum from Costco. 5-Year warranty. 1-year later, after two calls in, they diagnosed I need a new "head unit" for the floor vacuuming. Shipping and taxes stated not to be covered by the warranty by the guy on the phone. I said in retort that there was no tax on warranty or shipping, and he agreed. I'm getting charged $19.99 for shipping.

If this diagnosis is faulty I will expect:

1) No shipping charges on additional parts from faulty diagnosis to make the thing work right again.
    2) Refund the $19.99 if they can't do #1.

They really should cover shipping, at least the first 2 years.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • Options

ab348 said:

Now that you mention that, I recall the purchase by Whirlpool.

GE sold their appliance division to China’s Haier.

LG and Samsung make great TVs. Have an LG sound bar for my bedroom TV (connected to Panasonic Plasma). It has been at their warranty service dept more than hooked to my TV. They pay to have it sent to their service dept in CA. Sent it back 3 times. They pay $120 to have it sent to them, and I assume the same amount to send it back to me (FedEx). As of right now, they have spent more to ship it than I paid for it to begin with.

I have had a Samsung gas stove for about a decade. No problems. Dishwasher is a Kitchenaid. It has been great, too.

GF likes to feel she has input. I don’t mind, as long as her input interferes with anything in the home I care about. Washer/Dryer falls in the category of “I don’t care”.
    We have a KA DW and Samsung gas range too, rounded out with an LG fridge. All different ages. WD are Samsung I think.

As long as they all keep functioning, I’m happy. At least performance wise they all do their job very well, so no complaints there.

• Options
    fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,325
    edited November 2020
    My beloved old Hoover Widepath recently crapped the bed (motor works, but the part that controls the height broke which makes it impossible to use on any carpet or rug), replacement NLA, time to move on after 15 years. I did some research and bit the bullet, got a Dyson "V8 Animal" as I now have mostly hard floors with a few rugs. I read that the "refurbished" models might not actually be used, rather just didn't pass initial QC or maybe even just unsold stock, and are half the retail price. The unit I received had obviously never been used or apparently even touched before, as-new without a mark, just not in a retail box. I bought a squaretrade warranty for it for ~$30 just for peace of mind. It works amazingly well, knock on wood this keeps up. Now I feel old, being enthusiastic about a vacuum cleaner.

My new place has decent quality Whirlpool kitchen appliances, and a large Samsung front loader pair. The W/D are very complex compared to my prior stacker, but seem to be efficient, drying quickly. Everything here is only about a year old, knock on wood they keep going.
    andres3 said:

Shark vacuum from Costco. 5-Year warranty. 1-year later, after two calls in, they diagnosed I need a new "head unit" for the floor vacuuming. Shipping and taxes stated not to be covered by the warranty by the guy on the phone. I said in retort that there was no tax on warranty or shipping, and he agreed. I'm getting charged $19.99 for shipping.

1) No shipping charges on additional parts from faulty diagnosis to make the thing work right again.

• Options
    Really nice to see how the group here has gotten back into our wheelhouse, chatting enthusiastically about washing machines and other home appliances. :laughing:

• Options
    stickguy said:

Is there a law that says you have to sell the house with the washer and dryer? I’m now in my 4th house and we always took the washer and dryer with us except when we left SC. In that case we sold the washer and dryer to the guy I hired to pack the U-Hauls. We have old mis-matched white appliances now that are going strong. I hope I didn’t just jinx them.☹️

jmonroe

• Options
    No, they can be excluded. Most people leave them since expensive to move, and the new place might already have them.

• Options
    jmonroe1 said:

stickguy said:

Is there a law that says you have to sell the house with the washer and dryer? I’m now in my 4th house and we always took the washer and dryer with us except when we left SC. In that case we sold the washer and dryer to the guy I hired to pack the U-Hauls. We have old mis-matched white appliances now that are going strong. I hope I didn’t just jinx them.☹️

jmonroe

Oh come on, you won't buy your wife a new dining room suite, and now you begrudge her a matching washer/dryer set? Open that wallet!

• Options
    edited November 2020
    When it comes to features and attractive design, it's LG and Samsung, especially at a price, across the board. The problem is reliability and even worse, warranty support. Especially LG, clearly focused on getting the product out of the door and "forget about it". When I was shopping for my dishwasher, I was really shocked by lack of innovation by Whirlpool. Racks were so outdated in comparison with anybody else, it was not even funny. They do have generally decent reliability and warranty support, I experienced that. It seems different appliances are better from different manufacturers. According to CR, it seemed like nobody could get even close to Bosch in the dishwasher department. Stoves are most reliable, so seems you'll be OK with pretty much any of them, it's down to features. My GE Profile induction was expensive ($2800 with tax, but they threw in a very nice Chantal stainless steel pot set, four pots with lids, two pans and a large two-burner platter), but I compared it with others that cost even more (like Bosch). What sealed the deal was GE's black stainless finish and faux slide-on setup with all-touch controls. Today I would swap them for classic rotary handles if I could, they don't do well with wet hands, really annoying at times, but back then it sounded like a cool idea. Great two-burner sync control feature (for plates) and dough proof program in the oven for bread proofing during colder months. Full convection oven is absolutely fantastic, has different program for breads and meats and you can see results. Again, Whirlpool Corp brands were in the very bottom when it came to features. Only Samsung and LG were cheaper from this type, but I didn't want them for already stated reasons.

Looks like Samsung washers are in the lead in terms of features, but I heard from somebody that they can have some annoying maintenance procedures to avoid smells. If I were shopping, I'd probably look at Electrolux or Whirlpool brands.

My Whirlpool French door refrigerator works very well in terms of climate control and has good layout, but it had two annoying design flaw, one of which was fixed with redesigning and replacing grommet for deicing system (it was clogging). The other one is really annoying: one of the doors doesn't close without positive pressure applied to it and they skimped on a buzzer. You won't believe how many times I came after a few hours to discover it was partially open, because I didn't check the door and it didn't warn me. Drives me crazy.

My first appliance set was all Frigidaire (except the fridge, which was basic hum-drum GE) and it worked quite well. They were kind of basic, good introductory offer (decent value), but I can afford something more fancy now :wink:

2018 430i Gran Coupe

• Options
    sda said:

jmonroe1 said:

stickguy said:

jmonroe

Oh come on, you won't buy your wife a new dining room suite, and now you begrudge her a matching washer/dryer set? Open that wallet!
    You seem to have forgotten that I bought her a used year old Subie last year. Just because she didn’t want it isn’t my fault.🤣

jmonroe

• Options
    tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 16,030
    stickguy said:

No, they can be excluded. Most people leave them since expensive to move, and the new place might already have them.

As I've mentioned we had two sets in the house we just sold. I included in the sale the older units downstairs, but not the upstairs new units. When the home inspection came back with a few niggling issues I offered the new set as well as a concession to the repairs. Worked like a charm. We would have ended up selling them anyway since the new home came with a new Samsung pair and my dryer was gas and the hookup here is Electric. Why I'll never know because we have natural gas. Wall ovens are electric too, but the cooktop gas. It's all a bit strange to me as I would have had everything gas.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• Options
    jmonroe1 said:

sda said:

jmonroe1 said:

stickguy said:

jmonroe

You seem to have forgotten that I bought her a used year old Subie last year. Just because she didn’t want it isn’t my fault.🤣

jmonroe

Ok, you get credit for that. :smile:

• Options
    edited November 2020

“ Always always buy a matching pair....only JMonroe would have olive green and white. You may as well bite the bullet, they both will never go at the same time.”

What’s wrong with a rattle can paint job to make them the same color? Man, you rich guys like to throw your money away.🤪

My dishwasher is black Bosch, stove and microwave are black stainless GE and Whirlpool, respectively, the fridge is stainless Whirlpool. They were bought at different times, I'd have bought black stainless Bosch, but they didn't offer it then. It kind of works, I don't care even if it doesn't. W/D are same white Frigidaire, but I'm not buying a pair if/when the washer goes first, unless they throw the dryer "free" or so deeply discounted I won't be able to refuse. They're sitting in a closet, who'd care if they looked different? I won't.

2018 430i Gran Coupe

• Options
    jwm40517jwm40517 Member Posts: 288
    We have a GE Cafe series dual fuel range. 6 gas burners over double ovens powered by electric, each have a broiler and one has convection also. It seems most people have never heard of dual fuel.
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    jwm40517 said:

We have a GE Cafe series dual fuel range. 6 gas burners over double ovens powered by electric, each have a broiler and one has convection also. It seems most people have never heard of dual fuel.

Dual fuel is great. Gas burners give you better instant control and precision over pots, electric oven bakes and roasts much more evenly and predictably than gas. That's a great combination. One downside of gas it's still a bit messy in turns of burning the pots. I think induction burners, if you can spring the money, give you similar instant control and precision over pots without the mess. Their downside are strange noises from pots, especially those lower quality (thin steel plate inserts). You have to get used to them.

2018 430i Gran Coupe

• Options
    dino001 said:

“ Always always buy a matching pair....only JMonroe would have olive green and white. You may as well bite the bullet, they both will never go at the same time.”

What’s wrong with a rattle can paint job to make them the same color? Man, you rich guys like to throw your money away.🤪

My dishwasher is black Bosch, stove and microwave are black stainless GE and Whirlpool, respectively, the fridge is stainless Whirlpool. They were bought at different times, I'd have bought black stainless Bosch, but they didn't offer it then. It kind of works, I don't care even if it doesn't. W/D are same white Frigidaire, but I'm not buying a pair if/when the washer goes first, unless they throw the dryer "free" or so deeply discounted I won't be able to refuse. They're sitting in a closet, who'd care if they looked different? I won't.
    About your washer/dryer, you think too logically. Probably has a lot to do with your profession. Now, that kitchen stuff, I can tell you’re not married. 😗

jmonroe

• Options
    ventureventure Member Posts: 2,932
    ab348 said:

dino001 said:

My last purchase was a GE Profile induction stove. Costco didn't have the specific model, thus I went with FT. Pricey, but great rig, love it, purchase and delivery were great.

I find that interesting. GE appliances often don't seem to come up in the conversation very often and they don't seem to be promoted by the company through their retail channels the way other brands are, and so are not top-of-mind for consumers. I know I never used to have a very good opinion of them. But when the last kitchen reno was done here in 2001, I bought a GE dishwasher and a GE glass-top slide-in range only because I got a good deal on them at the time through Sears, and they have been flawless. I keep waiting for one or the other to quit on me and but so far so good.
    We have GE washer and dryer. They work like they should. They are only about 3 years old so who knows what may happen.

Oh yeah. We have a GE microwave too. It replaced the 30 year old Kenmore that was still working. As a matter of fact the Kenmore is still working at my Kiwanis clubhouse.

2020 Ascent Limited, 2024 Subaru Legacy Sport

• Options
    edited November 2020
    jmonroe1 said:

dino001 said:

About your washer/dryer, you think too logically. Probably has a lot to do with your profession. Now, that kitchen stuff, I can tell you’re not married. 😗

jmonroe

LOL. Funny thing my mother "approved" it when she was visiting - she's never been shy to tell me something is wrong, so it can't be that terrible. But she is practical in her approach, too. Probably has something to do with not wasting perfectly good machines, when you are raised a country with more scarce resources and during most of your life having to buy what Party chose for you :wink:

2018 430i Gran Coupe

• Options
    abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,258
    edited November 2020

abacomike said:

stickguy said:

no way I would get on that mess of a line at chickies. If I really felt the desire to go, would park far away and walk over to go inside.

we go by one all the time, pretty close to our house. Opened about 4 years ago. I think we went once, when they first opened and they sent out free sandwich coupons. Though we often stopped at one somewhere in VA right off I95, on our way to NC when the princess was in college down there.

There is a Chick-Fil-et in the food court at the Boca Town Center Mall where I walk on weekdays. I love their 4-piece chicken strip meal with fries an a Diet Coke. No chicken tastes anywhere near as good as Chick-fil-et’s chicken. I usually stop in there once a month as a treat to myself.😜🤓
    Three words in response to that "White Fence Farm". They make a really good fried chicken, they are along old RT 66 in Chicago's southwest suburbs and have been there for almost 100 years.
    @snakeweasel

I used to frequent that place when I lived in Bolingbrook, Illinois, which is about 3-4 miles from our home. We went to White Fence Farm at least once a month. So I would have to agree with you, Snake. Their chicken was superb.

If I remember correctly, they closed right after Christmas each year and reopened every spring. They had a separate “take-out” section where you could call ahead and then pick up the order at their window.

Their restaurant was “Country Style”. Their coleslaw and their pickled beets were delicious.

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,364
    driver100 said:

I think I will have my work cut out for me:

I think I will call the guy! :)

I feel your pain. Last weekend my yards looked like that, then Sunday I cleaned it all up, 15 bags of leaves. Now my backyard again looks like that again. :(

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

• Options
    andres3 said:

I would say that if they are shipping you a part that you yourself are replacing they should cover shipping if it's being replaced under warranty.

• Options
    abacomike said:

abacomike said:

stickguy said:

no way I would get on that mess of a line at chickies. If I really felt the desire to go, would park far away and walk over to go inside.

we go by one all the time, pretty close to our house. Opened about 4 years ago. I think we went once, when they first opened and they sent out free sandwich coupons. Though we often stopped at one somewhere in VA right off I95, on our way to NC when the princess was in college down there.

There is a Chick-Fil-et in the food court at the Boca Town Center Mall where I walk on weekdays. I love their 4-piece chicken strip meal with fries an a Diet Coke. No chicken tastes anywhere near as good as Chick-fil-et’s chicken. I usually stop in there once a month as a treat to myself.😜🤓
    Three words in response to that "White Fence Farm". They make a really good fried chicken, they are along old RT 66 in Chicago's southwest suburbs and have been there for almost 100 years.
    @snakeweasel

I used to frequent that place when I lived in Bolingbrook, Illinois, which is about 3-4 miles from our home. We went to White Fence Farm at least once a month. So I would have to agree with you, Snake. Their chicken was superb.

If I remember correctly, they closed right after Christmas each year and reopened every spring. They had a separate “take-out” section where you could call ahead and then pick up the order at their window.

Their restaurant was “Country Style”. Their coleslaw and their pickled beets were delicious.
    They close down for the month of January, I really like their corn fritters.

• Options
    45 years ago this very night the Edmund Fitzgerald sailed into history.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgI8bta-7aw

• Options
    driver100driver100 Member Posts: 32,016

Sounds like my B-I-L....painted his 12 year old Ranger Truck dark pea green (probably got the paint on sale) with a paint roller.

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

• Options

andres3 said:

I would say that if they are shipping you a part that you yourself are replacing they should cover shipping if it's being replaced under warranty.
    I agree; but he said the fine print states what it states on the warranty. Seemed easier to believe him and pay the $19.99. However, the part he's sending better not lead to other needed parts. Overall disappointed in the so-called "5-year" warranty though.

Sort of like if Audi charged me for shipping a rear differential from Germany, but covered the part.
  • Options
    driver100 said:

Sounds like my B-I-L....painted his 12 year old Ranger Truck dark pea green (probably got the paint on sale) with a paint roller.
    How often do you drive your washer/dryer down the road? Doesn’t have to be perfect.

I just repainted a door on my van with rattle cans. Looks pretty good compared to the rest of the rust bucket.