Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see May lease deals!
Options

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• Options
    driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,995
    That name, Foam Cannon sounds so impressive;

.....makes me want to go out and buy one so I can say I use a "Foam Cannon!".

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

• Options
    snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,340

@mjfloyd1 said:

@stickguy said:
    put together my new pressure washer and foam cannon today and used it on the RDX. Once I figured out the adjustments, it really worked good. Made lots of foam when I opened up the nozzle. and seemed to really do a good job loosening up the grime. I forgot to watch how-to videos again for the best procedure, but I foamed it up good, let it sit a few minutes, went over it all with my wash mitt, sprayed more foam since I made too much in the bottle, then just hosed that all off. came out nice.

one good thing, it seemed to do a nice job cleaning off the wheels and tires, without needing to use another product, or hassle with a sponge in all the spokes.

so overall, I am a fan!

Which foam cannon did you buy?

He got one of these.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

• Options
    oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,732

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options
    bwia said:

Whale swallows man on Cape Code and he lived to tell about it. Sounds like a fake story but it appears to be true.
    A lobster diver says he was nearly swallowed by a whale in a terrifying encounter off Cape Cod Friday morning. Michael Packard has been a lobster diver out of Provincetown for 40 years but has never experienced anything like this.
    https://boston.cbslocal.com/2021/06/11/lobster-diver-swallowed-by-whale-cape-cod-michael-packard/

He probably left a bad taste in the whale’s mouth. Not enough butter I suspect.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options
    edited June 2021
    Here is the picture of the piano black console.... it looks 10X worse in the picture....and this is after numerous attempts to clean the smudges.

• Options
    mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,287

@snakeweasel said:

@mjfloyd1 said:

@stickguy said:
    put together my new pressure washer and foam cannon today and used it on the RDX. Once I figured out the adjustments, it really worked good. Made lots of foam when I opened up the nozzle. and seemed to really do a good job loosening up the grime. I forgot to watch how-to videos again for the best procedure, but I foamed it up good, let it sit a few minutes, went over it all with my wash mitt, sprayed more foam since I made too much in the bottle, then just hosed that all off. came out nice.

one good thing, it seemed to do a nice job cleaning off the wheels and tires, without needing to use another product, or hassle with a sponge in all the spokes.

so overall, I am a fan!

Which foam cannon did you buy?

He got one of these.

Foam baluster?

• Options
    driver100 said:

Here is the picture of the piano black console.... it looks 10X worse in the picture....and this is after numerous attempts to clean the smudges.

That almost looks like chemical stains.

• Options
    henrynhenryn Member Posts: 4,289
    Michaell said:

stickguy said:

so overall, I am a fan!

do you do house calls?
    +1, add me to the list.
    2023 Chevrolet Silverado, 2019 Chrysler Pacifica
  • Options
    fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,215
    edited June 2021
    I'd go over it with a "cleaner wax", which also acts as a gentle polish. Maybe also a plastic polish, I know Meguiars makes a decent one, I use it to de-haze the headlights on my mom's Camry - for some reason one of them clouds up a bit over the course of a year or so.

If that doesn't work, I have a bad feeling the spots are permanent.
    driver100 said:

• Options
    I think the odd striped lights were 2007-09 only. They were always body color IIRC, so you'd only see black on a black car (of course, 10 years later, anything goes).

I had to laugh at the coincidence this afternoon. I had to deliver something cross town to son's house while they out of town. I was behind an S550. I always notice those because the E and S series are rare. Everyone's driving a C300 with their nose in air. LOL

This year S550 has the taillight lens I like with red top, red bottom, and clear in the middle. BUT the 3 lens areas were separated with a 1-inch wide strip of PIANO BLACK PLASTIC.

• Options
    andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    ab348 said:

Most piano black interior automotive trim I've seen is actually just plastic, not shiny-finished wood like on an actual piano. Perhaps a plastic polish of some sort would work.

Polk Audio has used both. Older LSi's had piano black "laminate" on the wood sort of like a car wrap. You could see the folded seams in the back. The newer ones have no seams; it's just painted/finished surface on the wood. Both were pretty equal for a speaker cabinet/box. I actually prefer the cherry finishes, but the LSi's have cherry and piano black mixed together.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • Options
    imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,168

I'd ask at the MB store if they are user friendly. You might end up buying a black replacement piece to replace that one. IT's probably easily replaceable by a tech used to removing certain screws and pulling certain griptite push-in connectors.

Or replace with an upscale appearance piece if available.

I see slight scratches on the finish along with spots. The scratches might come from paper towels which can contain abrasives. Hence, use only microfibre or clean terry towels to work on this. The particles in paper towels is why they're not recommended for drying the rear glass inside with the heat strips on them for defog/defrosting.

I'd try something that's an oil polish. Maybe even leather seat treatment if you have some.
    I also wonder about water spots leaving a residue, and I would use a 50/50 white vinegar treatment.
    I would test a hidden area first before using anything, but that might lift the minerals from the water that penetrated the finish?

I keep wondering if it's some kind of product that splattered on the finish and was absorbed as it dried. I still think of my wife's various hand and skin creams she likes to use. But the pattern looks like a splatter, like when I open a can of diet soda while driving and it goes "poof" and hits a lot of area. I keep a microfibre towel in the cubby armrest to pick that up when it happens without letting it dry.

I think your best bet might be to replace with an upscale part that looks better than the gloss black.
    Check with The Guy.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,374
    Driver100,
    I have an easy solution, leave it open. ;)
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,649
    I thought the same thing. Open the lid!

Driver, try stopping at a detail shop and see if they think they can take care of it. then just hire "the guy"!

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options

Driver100,

My idea was to use MacTac!

• Options
    @imidazol97 Good ideas guys. I think it looks worse because it was directly in the sun. The only liquid used on it has been Windex, and then later after I saw it Turtle Wax. On the MB site they mentioned McGuires too. I don't care enough to replace it, and I doubt if 95% of people would even notice.
    Who's the designer that thought of using piano black finishes...lots of complaints.

• Options

Driver100,

Good idea, but inside is the ash tray filled with covid masks in case I have to run into a store or something.

btw....I got my 2nd shot of Pfizer on Thursday.

• Options
    stickguy said:

I thought the same thing. Open the lid!

Driver, try stopping at a detail shop and see if they think they can take care of it. then just hire "the guy"!

I might get the inside done by a detailer soon anyway....the E400 is 4 years old, though it only has 28000 miles on it. It could use a detailing - though I have never had a car detailed. I think I have only had a complete wash inside and out less than 6 times in my life. If I do that I'll point out the console....those guys probably have had experience with piano black plastic.

• Options

I just got a text message from the Illinois department of transportation regarding a drivers license waiver validation giving me a link so I can validate my information. I might have done it if 1.) The state actually contacts people like this (they don't) 2.) The text number wasn't an CA area code and 3.) if the illinois dept. of transportation had anything to do with drivers licenses (it's handled by the Illinois Secretary of State).

• Options
    abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,258

@snakeweasel said:
    I just got a text message from the Illinois department of transportation regarding a drivers license waiver validation giving me a link so I can validate my information. I might have done it if 1.) The state actually contacts people like this (they don't) 2.) The text number wasn't an CA area code and 3.) if the illinois dept. of transportation had anything to do with drivers licenses (it's handled by the Illinois Secretary of State).

The scammers come up with new ways to extract money from the masses every day. The one that bothers me the most is the car warranty scammers. They always tell me my car’s warranty is about to expire and when I tell them it’s brand new and has a 5-year, 60,000 mile bumper-to-bumper warranty, they tell me I can still extend the warranty further. Right! Just what I need - a car warranty that will take effect after I die!🤪😜🤓

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    driver100 said:

Driver100,

Good idea, but inside is the ash tray filled with covid masks in case I have to run into a store or something.

Really? Are the vaccines that delayed in Canada? In NY we’re up to 70% vaccinated and the state is dropping all restrictions soon. The only people who haven’t had the shots are those that don’t want them. Yesterday they had a vac site at the Empire State Building and something like 12 people were all that showed up.

• Options
    abacomike said:

@snakeweasel said:

The scammers come up with new ways to extract money from the masses every day. The one that bothers me the most is the car warranty scammers. They always tell me my car’s warranty is about to expire and when I tell them it’s brand new and has a 5-year, 60,000 mile bumper-to-bumper warranty, they tell me I can still extend the warranty further. Right! Just what I need - a car warranty that will take effect after I die!🤪😜🤓

Why do you even talk to them, are you lonely? My autistic son used to engage these spammers for hours until they realized there was something wrong with him and hung up. The trouble is that when you take their calls your name goes into a rotation list and they will just keep calling again and again.

• Options
    sdasda Member Posts: 6,999
    abacomike said:

@snakeweasel said:

Does the Genesis also have the 10yr/100k powertrain warranty? Those extended warranty calls are out of control and more than annoying. Hardly a day goes by without getting them.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,132

Really? Are the vaccines that delayed in Canada? In NY we’re up to 70% vaccinated and the state is dropping all restrictions soon. The only people who haven’t had the shots are those that don’t want them. Yesterday they had a vac site at the Empire State Building and something like 12 people were all that showed up.

Our federal and provincial govts bungled it in part, though it wasn't helped early on by the USA refusing to allow Canada to buy from manufacturers there early on. I gather that has now changed. We were forced to source vaccines from Europe and elsewhere which slowed us down. Where I live our provincial govt was very slow off the mark but has picked up recently. I am scheduled for my second shot this coming Friday. In some places we are already experiencing the same syndrome as you described with lack of demand beginning to show itself. Nova Scotia is approaching 70% with at least 1 shot, and those will be given second doses over the rest of June and through July.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
    imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,168

driver100 said:

Driver100,

Estimates are that herd immunity was reached in Apri. Add the vaccinated numbers to those who tested as having the virus, many of whom were asymptomatic and to those who actually had symptoms and the herd immunity percentage has been reached.

The effort to convince those who don't want the vaccine(s) for various reasons stated is huge for some reason. Ohio spent $5000000 of taxpayer federal money on 5 lottery drawings; prizes of $1000000 and for those under 17 a drawing for full ride college scholarships at any state school--all to push the unvaccinated to get shots.

Those folks are like those who won't wear seat belts and those who won't wear helmets on motorcycles: they aren't going to be changed. Those most at risk in being older or at risk to the small percentage with fatal cases have been vaccinated mostly.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• Options

driver100 said:

Driver100,

We fell behind by 2 months because our Prime Minister loves China and Canada was supposed to partner with China to make a vaccine. After 2 months China decided to tell Canada to get lost....so then our P.M. had to go around and buy up what he could....and pay a premium to get it.
    We are slow but in first doses we are ahead of you guys percentage wise, but behind on 2nd doses. As Ab said, the interest in 2nd doses is falling off....but with the new Delta variant a 2nd dose becomes really important.

• Options
    I understand why some people won't get the vaccine (there were always going to be people in that group). But I don't get why, if you were fine getting the first dose, you don't just get the 2nd to make it fully effective.

• Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,132
    As Ab said, the interest in 2nd doses is falling off....but with the new Delta variant a 2nd dose becomes really important.
    That wasn't what I said though. I haven't seen much in the way of people with dose #1 not being interested in getting dose #2 here. In fact, the only thing I have seen much of is those people questioning why the long delay between #1 and #2, which our local Public Health overlords originally set at 105 days. That has now been reduced and people are enthused to get #2 sooner. The lack of interest is among those who have not had dose #1 and for whatever reason do not want it.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options

@stickguy said:
    I understand why some people won't get the vaccine (there were always going to be people in that group). But I don't get why, if you were fine getting the first dose, you don't just get the 2nd to make it fully effective.

Remember that there is a small percentage of the population that cannot get vaccinated due to medical reasons. As for not wanting the second shot, I know many people that have gotten very concerned about the second shot after hearing the side effects of it by people that got very bad side effects.

• Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,978

@oldfarmer50 said:
    Why do you even talk to them, are you lonely? My autistic son used to engage these spammers for hours until they realized there was something wrong with him and hung up. The trouble is that when you take their calls your name goes into a rotation list and they will just keep calling again and again.

I think that is a myth. If you never answer or talk to them, have they stopped calling you?

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    stickguy said:

That’s right, Bill Gates can track you and read your mind after the the first shot. :D

Personally, I had no trouble getting the vaccine. I don’t normally get flu shots but this time I didn’t want to risk bringing something home to my wife from a bio hazard rental car. I just couldn’t see driving 150 miles to some site in the mountains.

• Options
    qbrozen said:

@oldfarmer50 said:

I think that is a myth. If you never answer or talk to them, have they stopped calling you?

I think what happens is ABC extended warranty company calls you, you tell them to take you off their list, the guy phoning doesn't want to report he has lost a potential customer and doesn't have time to remove you - might not even have access, he has to leave his awful job of calling and getting a .01% response rate, and the new person comes in all eager and they call you again.

• Options
    qbrozen said:

@oldfarmer50 said:

Who knows, with today’s technology they can probably auto dial every number in the world a million times until someone picks up.

Now with that kind of efficiency can someone explain to me how NY managed to lose one of the tax forms I sent them and want me to send another? Funny how they lost only the form that gives me a refund.

• Options
    stickguy said:

First dose only gives 30% protection against Delta variant. 2nd dose is over 90%. I think some people get the first dose and think they have done enough and they are safe.

• Options
    Links about herd immunity?

I have no problems with the lotteries to speed things up a little, or encourage the contrarians. IMO better use of money than praetorian sector bennies and LARPing gear, bridges to nowhere, corporate welfare, etc.

driver100 said:

Driver100,

Estimates are that herd immunity was reached in Apri. Add the vaccinated numbers to those who tested as having the virus, many of whom were asymptomatic and to those who actually had symptoms and the herd immunity percentage has been reached.

The effort to convince those who don't want the vaccine(s) for various reasons stated is huge for some reason. Ohio spent $5000000 of taxpayer federal money on 5 lottery drawings; prizes of $1000000 and for those under 17 a drawing for full ride college scholarships at any state school--all to push the unvaccinated to get shots.

Those folks are like those who won't wear seat belts and those who won't wear helmets on motorcycles: they aren't going to be changed. Those most at risk in being older or at risk to the small percentage with fatal cases have been vaccinated mostly.
  • Options
    jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,622

@imidazol97 said:

Have you ever thought that this is a good way to prevent the spread of those genes?

jmonroe

'15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • Options
    Those phone calls from the call centers (usually foreign, relayed via VOIP through a server in Florida) will be calling several numbers at the same time and switching the call to a human operator if you answer. If more than one person answers `(of the several being called) then after a brief pause it will hang up on you. I have had a number of things going on that require me to answer the phone when the calling number is not recognized, so I am quite familiar with this scenario -- answer phone, no one there, call ends in 5 or 6 seconds.
  • Options
    fintail said:

Links about herd immunity?

I have no problems with the lotteries to speed things up a little, or encourage the contrarians. IMO better use of money than praetorian sector bennies and LARPing gear, bridges to nowhere, corporate welfare, etc.

driver100 said:

Driver100,

Anyone who could be convinced to suspend their own critical thinking (right or wrong) in order to get a lottery ticket is not someone I would trust making important decisions. There’s no telling what you could talk such a person into.

• Options
    henryn said:

Those phone calls from the call centers (usually foreign, relayed via VOIP through a server in Florida) will be calling several numbers at the same time and switching the call to a human operator if you answer. If more than one person answers `(of the several being called) then after a brief pause it will hang up on you. I have had a number of things going on that require me to answer the phone when the calling number is not recognized, so I am quite familiar with this scenario -- answer phone, no one there, call ends in 5 or 6 seconds.

That explains the hang up calls. I always assumed it was burglars trying to ascertain if you are home.

• Options
    carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,499
    driver100 said:

Driver, I think that the surfaces of the piano black, like many wood veneer trims, have sealants like a clear coat over them. I think the Windex chemicals etched that coating, possibly the ammonia in it.

• Options
    carnaught said:

driver100 said:

Driver, I think that the surfaces of the piano black, like many wood veneer trims, have sealants like a clear coat over them. I think the Windex chemicals etched that coating, possibly the ammonia in it.

Very possible Carnaught but Windex is pretty benign stuff.....they should be able to make a surface that can handle Windex. One good thing...MrsD100 didn't notice the marks until I pointed them out....I think most people wouldn't notice. She said I should ask the detail people at the dealership what they use when they get a used car.

• Options

henryn said:

That explains the hang up calls. I always assumed it was burglars trying to ascertain if you are home.
    I also heard there are scams where they try to get you to say "Yes" as in are you the homeowner etc? They record the "Yes" and insert their own words to make a recording. Person answering picks up and says "Yes", the scammers calling insert would you like us to come and clean your ducts for $300? I always answer if I do answer...with Hello..........or What do you want :p

• Options
    carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,499
    edited June 2021
    driver100 said:

henryn said:

I also heard there are scams where they try to get you to say "Yes" as in are you the homeowner etc? They record the "Yes" and insert their own words to make a recording. Person answering picks up and says "Yes", the scammers calling insert would you like us to come and clean your ducts for $300? I always answer if I do answer...with Hello..........or What do you want :p
    Or answer, “who’s calling?” I’ve likewise heard of these scams using your voice recording to say “yes”.

• Options
    ventureventure Member Posts: 2,912
    edited June 2021
    ab348 said:

As Ab said, the interest in 2nd doses is falling off....but with the new Delta variant a 2nd dose becomes really important.
    That wasn't what I said though. I haven't seen much in the way of people with dose #1 not being interested in getting dose #2 here. In fact, the only thing I have seen much of is those people questioning why the long delay between #1 and #2, which our local Public Health overlords originally set at 105 days. That has now been reduced and people are enthused to get #2 sooner. The lack of interest is among those who have not had dose #1 and for whatever reason do not want it.
    Two friends refused to get vaccinated. They both ended up getting Covid. She was in the hospital for a short time, but he was in the hospital for a few weeks, had to use oxygen when released and is still using oxygen now after 3 or 4 weeks. He also lost 40 pounds. Fortunately, somehow, he didn't have to be on a ventilator.

He recently said it was a mistake to not get vaccinated and said he will get the shots when he is eligible. Her? I don't know. I think she was the one talking him out of it for some reason.

2020 Ascent Limited, 2024 Subaru Legacy Sport

• Options
    @venture
    Now he'll get the shot! But now he probably has immunity.
    Lots of people get covid and have no or mild symptoms, some almost die or do die. The ones that have a rough time say they wish they had the shot.

• Options
    venture said:

ab348 said:

Two friends refused to get vaccinated. They both ended up getting Covid. She was in the hospital for a short time, but he was in the hospital for a few weeks, had to use oxygen when released and is still using oxygen now after 3 or 4 weeks. He also lost 40 pounds. Fortunately, somehow, he didn't have to be on a ventilator.

He recently said it was a mistake to not get vaccinated and said he will get the shots when he is eligible. Her? I don't know. I think she was the one talking him out of it for some reason.

I feel bad for the medical people that have to take care of them. But people that do that, I can't work up much sympathy. And who knows how many other people they could have infected?

• Options
    We have 117 medical workers here in Houston with the Methodist Hospital System who are refusing to take the vaccine, and even sued when Methodist said they had to do it. That law suit was thrown out yesterday (thank goodness). Who wants to deal with medical personnel that stupid? The hospital administration pointed out that they have required a flu shot as a condition of employment for many years, so what's the big deal here?

And yes, they did allow a "religious waiver", but that wasn't the problem here.
  • Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,978
    driver100 said:

Wait... what? I need more explanation on this one. What good would a recording of me saying "yes" do anyone? (except maybe my wife)

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,374
    Reording someone saying "yes".
    Driver100 got this one 100% right.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert