Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see May lease deals!
Options

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 238,343
    houdini1 said:

For some reason our little dog Daisy hated tape measurers. If anyone pulled one out, she would be on it like a guinea on a cut worm. Daisy has been in dog heaven about a year and a half now, but of course I think of her when the issue of tap measurers comes up.

like a guinea on a cut worm.

Not gonna get a gem like this on Twitter.

Better pay your dues. Edmunds rules. 🤷‍♂️

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,721
    driver100 said:

I saw a program where they caught a pizza shop that didn't declare how many pizzas they were really selling.
    They'd get the cash, and they didn't ring it into the cash register.
    How did they catch them?
    They figured out how many boxes they ordered over the year, and the numbers didn't add up.
    Be careful JMonroe :p

I would tell the IRS that I was burning the boxes for fuel because the government outlawed my gas oven.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options
    andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    edited February 21
    So my wife is OK, but she was involved in a motor vehicle collision yesterday. Another apparently unlicensed but maybe insured driver making reckless u-turns right in front of an intersection my wife says she was making a right turn from, and the lady went from a parking spot on that street to the right to an illegal U-turn crossing double yellows to get hit in the left rear wheel while the front of the Tiguan suffered what appears to be a minor (as in probably $2-$6K damages) blow to the front end.

However, the lady presented an ID card instead of a DL, expired insurance, and expired registration (2/12 so I'll cut her a bit of slack on that one). But the insurance said expired since last year.

Add to that Wawanesa (at-fault ladies insurance) said there's a conflict into the events of how and where the collision took place so we should contact our own insurance company. Apparently her story must be that she was already in the left turn lane where she stopped to take pictures after the collision. With that version, my wife must have either understeered and/or plowed straight into her left rear wheel well for no reason whatsoever while making or (failing to make a right turn) correctly.

But the car's registration happens to be the house address right on the corner of that intersection, so does anyone really reasonably believe she was legally on the other side of those double yellows? Give me a break Wawanesa!!!!

Criminals...... every single adjuster that works in insurance is a CRIMINAL!

I think she, like many others involved in a collision where the other party lies now wants a dash cam.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • Options
    oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,721
    edited February 21
    Glad your wife is ok. I keep telling my son to get a dash cam for things just like that. He’ll tell me I’m right after he gets sued some day.

You’re in CA I believe so I’m guessing no police showed up. Out here in the boondocks cops almost always show up quickly and will do a report.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options
    roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,393
    edited February 21
    Glad she's okay. At least the deadbeat has insurance. I'd tell them to pound sand.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport 2020 C43 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica
    Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i
    Son's: 2018 330i xDrive

• Options
    fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,204
    I'll second that - glad she's OK, and get a dashcam!
  • Options
    28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,402

Let your insurance deal with it. Also, if she has no license isn’t that automatically at fault?

2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
  • Options
    jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,612
    @andres3, good to hear your wife is OK. That’s the most important part. From what I’ve heard about accidents there are always he-said she-said situations that have to be resolved. I know you don’t like insurance companies but this is where your insurance company is your friend. Right or wrong they’ll do their best to support their policy holder not the other guy. That person’s insurance company will fight for them.

Unfortunately, sometimes it’s a split decision but you can’t do it on your own unless you have deep pockets and have several unbiased witnesses who are willing to support you. I’ve been told that it’s not uncommon for witnesses to decide not to get involved at the last minute, so you have to be prepared for that. Maybe this is where dash cams help but I’ve heard they can lead to split decisions too.

Good luck.

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • Options
    sdasda Member Posts: 6,997
    Does CA allow for diminished value?

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• Options
    EfrainCookeEfrainCooke Member Posts: 25
    The most important is health, and indeed having a dashcam would make things much easier. I can't imagine having a car without a dashcam it's a must have concerning the fact that there are more cars on the road each year and more untrained drivers
  • Options
    driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,994
    @andres3 Glad your wife is OK...that is most important.
    Good luck, it is hard for a driver with no insurance to win.
    After my big accident when my E400 got demolished, the driver of the dump truck was at fault....obviously since he ran into the back of my car, but he wasn't charged with careless driving which he should have been.
    It seems young cops have a code to favor the working guy in the regular car......and not in the more expensive car.
    That was a real crime because a dangerous driver didn't get a stiffer penalty, someone could have been easily killed, and yet the cop let him off easy.

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

• Options
    edited February 22
    sda said:

Does CA allow for diminished value?

Only on 3rd party claims as DV is EXCLUDED on 1st party insurance contracts. But 3rd party claims have no exclusions as there is no contract.

The Tiguan has been a previous fender bender so DV isn't huge, but it's there.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • Options
    driver100 said:

After my big accident when my E400 got demolished, the driver of the dump truck was at fault....obviously since he ran into the back of my car, but he wasn't charged with careless driving which he should have been.
    It seems young cops have a code to favor the working guy in the regular car......and not in the more expensive car.
    That was a real crime because a dangerous driver didn't get a stiffer penalty, someone could have been easily killed, and yet the cop let him off easy.

I bet they don't go as easy on the guy speeding during a "maximum enforcement" weekend blitz.
  • Options
    jmonroe1 said:

@andres3, good to hear your wife is OK. That’s the most important part. From what I’ve heard about accidents there are always he-said she-said situations that have to be resolved. I know you don’t like insurance companies but this is where your insurance company is your friend. Right or wrong they’ll do their best to support their policy holder not the other guy. That person’s insurance company will fight for them.

Unfortunately, sometimes it’s a split decision but you can’t do it on your own unless you have deep pockets and have several unbiased witnesses who are willing to support you. I’ve been told that it’s not uncommon for witnesses to decide not to get involved at the last minute, so you have to be prepared for that. Maybe this is where dash cams help but I’ve heard they can lead to split decisions too.

Good luck.

jmonroe

No doubt even video can leave room for interpretation, but part of the problem is those so called "insurance arbitrators" like favoring the house with those "split" decisions. U-turns are a form of "left turn" and left turns are almost like rear-enders, the person making the dangerous left turn has the greater duty of care in almost any situation.

I get the insurance is supposed to fight for their insured, but believing a cockamamie malarkey bigly pile of manure story is another thing. :smiley:
  • Options
    andres3 said:

driver100 said:

I bet they don't go as easy on the guy speeding during a "maximum enforcement" weekend blitz.
    They don't stop anyone for speeding in Florida :#

• Options
    driver100 said:

andres3 said:

driver100 said:

————————————————-
    The population of Florida just increased. B)

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,367
    Took a short drive to CVS to pick up a prescription today.
    2 good things happened. With my new $0 drug plan, I didn't have to pay anything for my prescription.
    It used to be about $15 for 90 days supply, but my premium also used to be over $50 a month.
    The other day I got BLIS and Cross Traffic faults with caused them to be disabled.
    I had gone to the car wash the day before and the underneath spray was crazy. It reached the roof of the wash bay.
    Watched a YT video on how to reset it and it didn't let me while in motion but started functioning when I restarted it.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options
    edited February 23
    jmonroe1 said:

driver100 said:

andres3 said:

driver100 said:

————————————————-

jmonroe
    And Florida just passed another "no driving in the left lane improperly" law!!!! All it needs is the Governor's signature. Florida is far more progressive than CA in that regard. Of course, it doesn't matter how many times you rewrite the same law with slightly different wording if it isn't enforced.

Most self-proclaimed "law-abiding" drivers only obey one law, the speed laws, and even that's rare to be honest.

I think I'll retire in FL.

P.S. As I've mentioned before, LLC's will resort to arguing that passing traffic in China counts for them camping in Florida, or that they were passing traffic on an on-ramp, the other direction, or a turtle walking along the road, or some other similarly idiotic argument. To them that counts as "actively currently passing."

If I was a judge and someone tried to raise one of these arguments trying to defend themselves from a LLC ticket, I'd immediately put them in jail for contempt of court.
  • Options
    andres3 said:

jmonroe1 said:

driver100 said:

andres3 said:

driver100 said:

————————————————-

jmonroe
    And Florida just passed another "no driving in the left lane improperly" law!!!! All it needs is the Governor's signature. Florida is far more progressive than CA in that regard. Of course, it doesn't matter how many times you rewrite the same law with slightly different wording if it isn't enforced.

Most self-proclaimed "law-abiding" drivers only obey one law, the speed laws, and even that's rare to be honest.

P.S. As I've mentioned before, LLC's will resort to arguing that passing traffic in China counts for them camping in Florida, or that they were passing traffic on an on-ramp, the other direction, or a turtle walking along the road, or some other similarly idiotic argument. To them that counts as "actively currently passing."

If I was a judge and someone tried to raise one of these arguments trying to defend themselves from a LLC ticket, I'd immediately put them in jail for contempt of court.
    ————————————————
    Sounds good to me.

@andres3 for judge, maybe even executioner.

jmonroe
  • Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,631

Andre will really love all the uninsured motorists in FL.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    jmonroe1 said:

andres3 said:

jmonroe1 said:

driver100 said:

andres3 said:

driver100 said:

————————————————-

jmonroe

————————————————
    Sounds good to me.

@andres3 for judge, maybe even executioner.

jmonroe
    I posted this on another site nearly 8 years ago:

GRRRRR!!!!!
    I just heard a story on WAVE news that noted that it has been a year since Indiana passed the law that made it illegal to camp out, dawdle, and obstruct traffic in the left lane. The Indiana State Police has written 1,535 warnings but only 109 tickets. ISP Capt. David Bursten said that the intent isn't to penalize drivers for not yielding to others going 95 mph, but to "discourage" inconsiderate drivers who think they own the left lane and help avoid traffic backups.
    Hey ISP, I'd bet the farm that the ratio of speeding warnings to speeding tickets isn't anywhere close to 15 to 1- so how about enforcing ALL of the traffic laws- and clear out the left lane for drivers who have somewhere to go?

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport 2020 C43 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica

• Options
    mjfloyd1 said:

Cute moment for my daughter who is a HS senior and on the HS gymnastics team as well as a club gymnastics team. At the senior night HS gymnastics meet, 60 little girls wearing “Rising star gymnastics ❤️’s Jess” t shirts and home made signs showed up to cheer her on. She had no idea that they were coming and cried happy tears. Really nice newspaper article about it with great quotes.

The mom of one of the little girls recorded a video of her talking about Jess while in tears. “Jess is going away to college. So sad but she’s moving on to a better life. I hope she’s happy”. Absolutely hilarious.

Her team won the conference meet for the first time ever and she won floor which was the first time since 2014 that one school hasn’t won every event.

Congratulations!

• Options
    tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,954

@mjfloyd1 said:
    Cute moment for my daughter who is a HS senior and on the HS gymnastics team as well as a club gymnastics team. At the senior night HS gymnastics meet, 60 little girls wearing “Rising star gymnastics ❤️’s Jess” t shirts and home made signs showed up to cheer her on. She had no idea that they were coming and cried happy tears. Really nice newspaper article about it with great quotes.

The mom of one of the little girls recorded a video of her talking about Jess while in tears. “Jess is going away to college. So sad but she’s moving on to a better life. I hope she’s happy”. Absolutely hilarious.

Her team won the conference meet for the first time ever and she won floor which was the first time since 2014 that one school hasn’t won every event.

Awesome !

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• Options
    ventureventure Member Posts: 2,904
    mjfloyd1 said:

Congrats. Touching.

I don't know how those girls do what they do. I remember watching my granddaughter sitting on the floor, legs spread, and pulling herself up the rope just using her hands. They must not know how strong they are to be able to do that.

Her HS team just won the PA states where she won the floor and placed pretty high on the other events.

2020 Ascent Limited, 2024 Subaru Legacy Sport

• Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,124
    edited February 24
    Back around 1969, the actor James Garner got infatuated with racing, both on-track and off-road, starting his own racing team called American International Racing or AIR for short. He made a film about their experiences, called "The Racing Scene", which is pretty uneven but which is a wonderful retro experience from the perspective of today. Take a look:

https://youtu.be/LdiqOEZpR0Y?si=UQ4fXlOyC5SkEMm7

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options

Does anyone here have any experience with the Samsung picture frame TVs? We are just about done with our home remodel and I’ve been looking at one for above our fireplace in our living room vs a standard TV.

I’m hesitating because of the custom mount and general effort to install vs others. We’d be getting the 65”.

• Options
    edited February 25

@28firefighter said:
    Does anyone here have any experience with the Samsung picture frame TVs? We are just about done with our home remodel and I’ve been looking at one for above our fireplace in our living room vs a standard TV.

I’m hesitating because of the custom mount and general effort to install vs others. We’d be getting the 65”.

I see lots of videos on them and I’m impressed. It’s all in the install. I’m pretty sure they come with the mount… but to do it right you need a recessed wall box otherwise they do not fit 100% flush. If you can cut in an old work box you can do the wall box. The electrical outlet is in the bottom of the box

Not sure if you use TikTok but I’ll try and DM you a few videos from the installers I follow.

• Options

I’m considering one for our shore house. The TV is on the same wall as the front entry door and when you walk in and look left you can see the side of the wall mounted TV and it isn’t a great look.

• Options

You rock! Thanks!

• Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,124
    I don’t like TVs mounted above the fireplace. They can give you a stiff neck.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
    edited February 25

@ab348 said:
    I don’t like TVs mounted above the fireplace. They can give you a stiff neck.

Depends how far away your seating is. Ours is very high (probably a touch higher than a typical fireplace) and it’s fine because of the large room and 15’ viewing distance. I wanted it pretty high since most mornings we watch it clear across the room in the kitchen and it isn’t blocked by people sitting at the island.

• Options
    houdini1houdini1 Member Posts: 8,327
    mjfloyd1 said:

Proud poppa...

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

• Options
    stickguy said:

Andre will really love all the uninsured motorists in FL.

Uninsured motorists abound in CA too. You'd think that driving around uninsured would make them careful but just the opposite is true. They have no increase in rates by crashing because they don't have a rate that can go up by not having insurance. :(
  • Options
    If an LLC tells you they impede the passing lane because they pay taxes on every lane of the highway, I'll retort that I pay taxes on every single horsepower of my car.
  • Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,367
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options
    ————————————————-
    I think you meant to post this in CCBA, right?

jmonroe
  • Options
    mjfloyd1 said:

@kyfdx - you may (or may not) find this humorous but a nurse that I work with has a step dad from Owensboro KY. He tells his step son that “I learned my family history from Incestry.com. “

Wow that’s bad.

Ironically, KY is one of the minority of states where it is illegal to marry or have relations with your first cousin. Go figure.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,285

@kyfdx said:
    Ironically, KY is one of the minority of states where it is illegal to marry or have relations with your first cousin. Go figure.

Well, speeding is illegal but…never mind 😳

• Options
    kyfdx said:

mjfloyd1 said:

@kyfdx - you may (or may not) find this humorous but a nurse that I work with has a step dad from Owensboro KY. He tells his step son that “I learned my family history from Incestry.com. “

Wow that’s bad.

First-cousin marriage is prohibited in: Arkansas, Delaware, Idaho, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Hampshire, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, South Dakota, Washington, West Virginia and Wyoming.

I am surprised it is legal in any state.

• Options
    maybe most states never thought that they had to pass a law against it.

• Options
    In many of those states just listed, first cousin incest is not illegal. You just can't get married. :o

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options

Oh wow .. we’ve really run out of stuff to discuss.

• Options

@tjc78 said:
    Oh wow .. we’ve really run out of stuff to discuss.

Right?!

• Options

I’m getting one in 4 months!

Actually, opinions on WD brands now? Need those still. Top load HE washer and electric dryer.

• Options

And how about whole house generators?

• Options
    stickguy said:

Actually, opinions on WD brands now? Need those still. Top load HE washer and electric dryer.

Avoid GE. They are always behind the curve in HE washers.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    stickguy said:

At our Canadian headquarters we really like our Bosch dishwasher (a lower model) because it works well and the design - how dishes and silverware go - are well thought out.
    Our Fisher & Paykel washer dryer have held up and perform well.
    But, these are probably not main stream brands.
    I wrote them down in case you were considering any of these.
    In Florida DW, washer and dryer are Maytags all work well, they just aren't as refined.