Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• Options
    berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    edited March 2016
    Doesn't really matter if you're middle class because you won't be able to afford the lawyer for very long :(
  • Options
    oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,679

So I was trying to find the old, "Stories from the sales front lines," thread and couldn't find it. I see it moved over here.

How are things going?

wow that's a blast from the past. You were an old timer when I started here 10 years ago.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options
    fezofezo Member Posts: 10,384
    andres3 said:

fezo said:

andres3 said:

dino001 said:

I'm still mystified with American justice system, letting some unqualified people to decide about guilt or innocence of some person. It was perhaps a good idea in 18th and 19th Century in response to real and peceived injustice from King's judges, but not in the modern world it deevolved into selection of those who are easy to manipulate and nothing to do at the same time, the exact opposite from what we want from a juror. If called, I'd serve, but I think it's not a good system. Moreover, as an engineer, I'm most likely to be excused, anyway, by either party. Or perhaps second most, after lawyers. Last thing they want is somebody knowing the law, or knowing how to draw conclusions based on facts, not emotions.

I'll take a jury over a judge when I'm a defendant every time.

I certainly would if I were guilty.
    And if you were innocent does it change your preference?
    Depends on how easily I could prove my innocence. Of course having a brother for a lawyer doesn't hurt. I've actually never been in anything deeper than a traffic ticket hasn't hurt and he provided nice advice that reduced total expense.

I have a friend who's a disability lawyer in North Carolina who was able to provide information where the local office was wrong. Between a friend up here who is good at figuring out ridiculous forms and a wife who's an RN and new all the buzzwords they took the lawyer's advice and voila I was approved.
    2015 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2014 Mazda 3 Sport Hatchback, 1999 Mazda Miata 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999.
  • Options
    isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    dino001 said:

Thanks for sharing the story, Ken. I understand peoples' mistrust to any kind of judges or authority, but I think big majority of them are honorable and smart people, who can discern the facts of fiction. "Jury of peers", however, is more likely to be composed of majority of less than average intelligence (smart people will either be excluded or will try to get off) and somewhat average honesty. As I mentioned before, I appreciate the sentiment when this country was forming (King's judges were then delivering King's will rather than justice) and the concept of asking citizens to look at the matter and decide on facts may have made sense, considering that then the pool of "citizens" considered for such trials was also much smaller. Today, both prosecution and defense actively try to exclude (until they run out of strikes) anyone of large personal achievement, analytical mind - especially the side with a weaker case.

There is no perfect justice system. However, as reality is becoming more and more complex, adjudicating facts on cybercrimes, identity theft, or complex Ponzi schemes should be left to people who have intellectual capacity of understanding basics of math, economics, or other aspects of complex society. Not to sound too snobbish, but a housewife with high school education, welder, or a retired salesman don't strike me as such people.

I also like old British concept (don't know it that's still the case) of adjudicating cases away from the residence. When a community is harmed with a particularly terrible crime, an emotion of seeking revenge and desire to assign blame can be overwhelming. Combine that with "average citizen", you have basically a recipe for juries convicting wrong people, so things are closed, or acquitting obvious perpetrators, because they are neighbors and "good people".

We can find example of injustice, major one under all judicial systems. King's judges were not particularly just before the Revolution, but neither were those juries in Mississippi or Alabama convicting black men for crimes they didn't commit, or acquitting Klan members from murder charges in defense of their "way of life". I err on side of trusting professionals, even if they are far from perfect. But if called, I will of course serve and try my best. Eeeehh, nobody will let me anyway...

I find your post very condescending. There are plenty of housewives, welders and (sigh) "retired salesmen" who are perfectly capable of using their brains to sort out the facts. Others with advanced degrees can be so focused on their own stubborn feelings that they refuse to listen to the facts that were presented. Not only that some of those retired salesmen held some pretty lofty positions where they were accountable for getting results before deciding to do something different!
  • Options
    driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,977

So I was trying to find the old, "Stories from the sales front lines," thread and couldn't find it. I see it moved over here.

How are things going?

British_Rover and jmonroe both back within a day.

I thought with the new "heading" no one would ever find us again.

So BR....what is happening....are you still moving Rovers?

My wife just got a 2015 MB GLK and she likes it a lot. But a neigbor showed up with a new Rover Discovery and I think she likes it even more. But, I hadn't heard of that model before. The large Rovers are way to big for her and the Evoque has tiny windows and it has a jazzy young kids toy car look to it...the Discovery could have been ideal but I haven't seen a Rover ad for a long time....what's the scoop.

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

• Options
    jmonroe said:

houdini1 said:

abacomike said:

carnaught said:

A Genny is a Hyundai Genesis, I assume. You know, like a Lucy is a (Buick) Lucerne.

Carnaught, I was just pulling your leg and everyone else's.  Jmonroe is the only guy I knew who had an engine blow up in his Hyundai Genesis.  It's great having him back, even if part-time.   ;)

No, that was his wife's XG 350 or something like that. She is the hot rodder in the family. I think she was drag racing some guy in a Corvette and hadn't changed the oil in 5 or 6 years.
    houdini you are correct, the engine that blew up was in Mrs. j's '05 XG 350 6 cylinder that had less than 45K miles on it. And I think you are correct about Mrs. j's lead foot but she was decelerating coming to a light when the engine blew. She still says she has bad thoughts about coming to that light to this day. I told her if it bothered her so much she should run the light and if she was pulled over, she should just tell the guy her story and she'd be given a pass forever.

OK here is the tale about buying the 2015 Genny, in a way it was not my fault:

I accompanied Son #1 to Cleveland to buy a 2013 G37 in late April 2015. While I was in the waiting room of the independent garage that he found to do an inspection of his to be new wheels, I decided to play with my phone about the 2015 Genesis. Up pops a dealer in Akron that had the color that I was considering, Parisian Gray. I mentioned this to my son and he said, "we'll be passing right by that place on the way home, let's stop in and see it and maybe take a test drive". To make a long story short I preferred the Empire State Gray and I wanted the Ultimate package but they didn't have that but they were willing to look for one. I should have let them test drive my '09 Genny but I didn't want to waste his time because I was not positive that I even wanted the car, so we head home.

The next day the salesman calls and says he found a 2015 with the Ultimate package in Empire State Gray. His price was pretty good but when I told him what I wanted for my '09 he said he'd have to let his guy go over it but he did say, from what he saw when the car was in his lot, if it was as good as what it looked like he could probably give me that but it had to have almost new tires. It didn't have new tires they were about 50% worn. When I said the rest of the car would more than make up for the tires he said he had to see the car anyway and if I was right we could negotiate that. I didn't blame him for that but it would have been a run up to Akron even before he would make the dealer trade. He steadfastly refused to get the car before I agreed to make the deal and I could understand that and was considering making another run over to Akron, a 4 hour round trip drive, because I was confident that we could make the deal when he saw my '09 but like I said it would mean another drive to Akron. That is why I said, "I should have left him test drive my car when I was there".

Fast forward a few days and Son #1 calls and says, "I found what you want in Fairfax Virginia and the price is better than the guy in Akron. We can go down there and see it and Mom can visit her sister in Reston Virginia (not too many miles away) so the trip can be two fold, you don't have anything to lose, right" ?

I call the internet guy in Fairfax and while talking to him I find out the car has been driven by the owner and has about 2200 miles on it. Now the deal ain't so great. I say no thanks that's a used car to me so I'm not interested. Being a typical salesman he wants to know what I'm willing to pay. I told him I'd call him back in a little while after I gave it some thought. I call Son #1, we come up with a price, and before I can call the salesman back he calls me with a pretty good price. I told him I'd think it over and I'd get back to him. I called Son #1 back and we both agreed that he was more interested in making a sale than I was in buying. After a couple of more calls we agreed to a price for his car but only if he gave me what I wanted for my car with 50% worn tires.

When we get to the dealership they test drive my car while I test drove theirs. Next thing I know I'm turned over to a salesman and he starts writing up the sale. I asked what price he was giving me for my car and he said, "just what you wanted".
    Again I left money on the table but how can I complain when he gives me what I wanted.

More fast forward. We are now transferring items from my trunk to the new Genny. Son #1 asked the salesman what he thought about my car and the salesman said, "you can't find a better '09 than your father's car that's why we didn't want to haggle and take the risk of losing a sale over a couple hundred bucks. That paint looks as good as new. It's a really a nice car, we won't any have trouble selling this car".

One more thing. While my son was talking to the salesman while we were in the finance office he tells him about the '05 XG 350 and the salesman is shocked at the reluctance of the local dealer to help me. He then tells my son that the 6 cylinder in that XG was built by Mitsubishi and they never a had problem with that engine.

Gee, this turned out to be a marathon post but you asked for it.

jmonroe

Hey! good to see you back!
  • Options

How are things going?

Rover is back too? This is getting to be like old home week! Welcome back! Still selling Rovers?
  • Options
    british_roverbritish_rover Member Posts: 8,502
    edited March 2016
    jmonroe said:

How are things going?

Hey rover, welcome back.

This must be the week for guys coming back. I just got back 2 days ago myself but I wasn't gone as long as you were. I'll bet your new dues are going to be out of sight. Mine stayed the same !

The last I heard from you, you were peddling Saab's. So, what do you sell now ?

jmonroe

Yeah I was working at our Volvo and Saab store up until and even after Saab went over. Than I managed a smaller dealership in the company with one other guy for a couple of years. No salespeople just two managers doing every deal beginning to end split everything right down the middle.

The used car manager at my Volvo dealership got moved to another dealership and I let it be known I wanted his job. Not long after that and some personal machinations I ended up running the dealership as a manager with another guy who was also promoted up from a salesperson. It has been a good almost two years and Volvo has grown big but we have grown even more. Our new car sales were up over 30 percent year over year.

Friday is my last day doing that though as I am taking over as Service Manager on Monday.
  • Options

dino001 said:

Thanks for sharing the story, Ken. I understand peoples' mistrust to any kind of judges or authority, but I think big majority of them are honorable and smart people, who can discern the facts of fiction. "Jury of peers", however, is more likely to be composed of majority of less than average intelligence (smart people will either be excluded or will try to get off) and somewhat average honesty. As I mentioned before, I appreciate the sentiment when this country was forming (King's judges were then delivering King's will rather than justice) and the concept of asking citizens to look at the matter and decide on facts may have made sense, considering that then the pool of "citizens" considered for such trials was also much smaller. Today, both prosecution and defense actively try to exclude (until they run out of strikes) anyone of large personal achievement, analytical mind - especially the side with a weaker case.

There is no perfect justice system. However, as reality is becoming more and more complex, adjudicating facts on cybercrimes, identity theft, or complex Ponzi schemes should be left to people who have intellectual capacity of understanding basics of math, economics, or other aspects of complex society. Not to sound too snobbish, but a housewife with high school education, welder, or a retired salesman don't strike me as such people.

I also like old British concept (don't know it that's still the case) of adjudicating cases away from the residence. When a community is harmed with a particularly terrible crime, an emotion of seeking revenge and desire to assign blame can be overwhelming. Combine that with "average citizen", you have basically a recipe for juries convicting wrong people, so things are closed, or acquitting obvious perpetrators, because they are neighbors and "good people".

We can find example of injustice, major one under all judicial systems. King's judges were not particularly just before the Revolution, but neither were those juries in Mississippi or Alabama convicting black men for crimes they didn't commit, or acquitting Klan members from murder charges in defense of their "way of life". I err on side of trusting professionals, even if they are far from perfect. But if called, I will of course serve and try my best. Eeeehh, nobody will let me anyway...

There are plenty of housewives, welders and (sigh) "retired salesmen" who are perfectly capable of using their brains to sort out the facts.
    My father was a salesman. When I left teaching I started managing retail stores. My father took me to lunch and he said, don't stay in retail, you will be working all hours, holidays, weekends without a lot of security...he said get into sales. Other than being a professional like a doctor or lawyer you have a chance to make a good income, and you won't be working all kinds of hours. I took his advice and he was correct....I never made big bucks but it was a good life, much better than retail, and much better hours.

There are lots of bright people who don't have a lot of formal education. I know of some academics who don't know a whole lot about the real world......they may know a lot about their particular field - splitting atoms or whatever - but, they barely function in the real world, and they wouldn't be able to read people properly in a courtroom.

• Options
    houdini1houdini1 Member Posts: 8,327
    I am another "retired salesman" with an IQ over 130. Being on a jury would certainly be a mental stretch for me, but I think I could manage it. I have been called a few times, but never actually sat on a jury.

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

• Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,329
    @british_rover,
    Welcome back!
    I think my next door neighbor is driving one of your loaners while waiting for his new car to arrive.
    Silver Cross Country type wagon? I've only seen it parked in the garage when the door is open.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options
    british_roverbritish_rover Member Posts: 8,502

@british_rover,
    Welcome back!
    I think my next door neighbor is driving one of your loaners while waiting for his new car to arrive.
    Silver Cross Country type wagon? I've only seen it parked in the garage when the door is open.

Hey explorer yes I think you are right. He has a bit more time left in that car before his car shows up.
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    Talk about a small world! :)
    I'll just keep that little nugget between us.
  • Options
    jmonroejmonroe Member Posts: 8,989

Rover said:

Yeah I was working at our Volvo and Saab store up until and even after Saab went over. Than I managed a smaller dealership in the company with one other guy for a couple of years. No salespeople just two managers doing every deal beginning to end split everything right down the middle.

The used car manager at my Volvo dealership got moved to another dealership and I let it be known I wanted his job. Not long after that and some personal machinations I ended up running the dealership as a manager with another guy who was also promoted up from a salesperson. It has been a good almost two years and Volvo has grown big but we have grown even more. Our new car sales were up over 30 percent year over year.

Friday is my last day doing that though as I am taking over as Service Manager on Monday.
    __________________________________________________________________________________

Good luck with the move to the Service Manager position.

I'm sure your were here when whey had a young salesman in the Boston area selling Nissan's who move to the service dept. then he disappeared from here totally. I can't for the life of me remember this young guys name but I remember that Richard was trying to give this young guy some advice but we'll never know if it worked.

Anybody out there remember this salesman/dept. service guy?

jmonroe

'15 Genesis V8 with Ultimate Package and '18 Legacy Limited 6 cyl

• Options
    dino001dino001 Member Posts: 6,166
    edited March 2016

dino001 said:

I find your post very condescending. There are plenty of housewives, welders and (sigh) "retired salesmen" who are perfectly capable of using their brains to sort out the facts. Others with advanced degrees can be so focused on their own stubborn feelings that they refuse to listen to the facts that were presented. Not only that some of those retired salesmen held some pretty lofty positions where they were accountable for getting results before deciding to do something different!
    I can only apologize for making you feel I look down on those trades. I don't, they are very noble and useful, often more so than many college-educated level professions. People holding those are mire often than not, fully functioning and valuable members of the society. Conversely, there are many "limited" people with hugher education, plenty examples of those, too. Just look at financial decisions and you see very little correlation between education and sound financial life. My sister is a perfect example - she is as far as it goes from academia, but her finanses are very sound. She certainly can add and subtract her money, which can be difficult for many with advanced degrees, including those requiring advanced math.

I used poor tone, for which I'm sorry, but I still maintain I don't think said people are qualified to judge facts in complex cases of of insider trading, civil personal injury lawsuits, etc. I would add I'm not qualified, either and I hold Masters in engineering. I'm uncomfortable to be put in a position deciding on fate of a stranger based on others telling me what the facts are. If asked, I'd do it, but I don't like it. I also maintain that the trial parties, especially those weaker ones, are actively seeking to exclude people holding education level suggesting analytical nature, believing, fairly or not, that others will be easier to persuade. But I should have used a better tone.

2018 430i Gran Coupe

• Options
    suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    Hey! We can laud the capabilities of "Welders and retired salesmen" without having to diss college professors!
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • Options
    iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    stever - you guys done lookin' for a new rig? I'm researching the 2017 Mitsubishi Mirage and G4 (sedan) and also the 2016 Chevy Spark. All three of those rigs might be a tad small. The Spark includes an armrest and all three have Android Auto. OnStar for 6 months with the Spark. 5-speeds would be necessary for all three of them.

And Alamogordo or Las Cruces would both top Belize for retirement spots, too, I would think. I can say ci in Spanish. That means yes. After that things get real dicey, though. :p

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

• Options
    I do worry when I think of some of the people in the audience who go to a Jerry Springer show........should those people be ion a jury?

• Options
    suydam said:

Hey! We can laud the capabilities of "Welders and retired salesmen" without having to diss college professors!

We diss everyone equally around here :p

• Options
    houdini1 said:

I am another "retired salesman" with an IQ over 130. Being on a jury would certainly be a mental stretch for me, but I think I could manage it. I have been called a few times, but never actually sat on a jury.

I won't say anything....I don't want to jinx myself and be one of the chosen ones :'(

• Options
    @dino001,
    My sister is the opposite of your sister. PHD, but doesn't have clue about how money works.
    Kind of scares me because I'm distributing to her a good chunk of money.
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454

stever - you guys done lookin' for a new rig?

And Alamogordo or Las Cruces would both top Belize for retirement spots, too, I would think. I can say ci in Spanish. That means yes. After that things get real dicey, though. :p

We took a shopping break, had company. Not looking at Mitsu, want a brand with a bit more "presence" in the US.

And it's "sí", lol. Actually I'm pretty fluent after a couple of margaritas.

• Options
    houdini1 said:

I was asked to be on a jury duty back in the early 80's but the date that was set for me was when I knew I was going to be in CA on a business trip. So , I sent back the notice informing them of that. About a week later I got a call at work and they asked when they should reschedule me so I gave them a date. Wouldn't you know it, about 3 days before I was to appear I found out I had to go to CA again. No, I didn't screw up on my first visit, I just had a new fire that had to be put out. I called the jury office and the guy said, "are you trying to get out of this Mr. jmonroe"? To be honest, I wasn't but I preferred not to serve. OK, we finally had a date that I could make. Rather than drive into the city of Pittsburgh, I decided to take a bus. When I got on the bus I asked the driver if this was the express bus to downtown Pittsburgh or the scenic tour bus to the Burg. He said express. I stayed on the bus but you guessed it, it was the tour bus to downtown. I didn't think a bus could make that many stops in 12 miles but it did, all of them.

Obviously I'm over an hour late and figured I was going to get an earful about it. As I'm about to enter the assigned court room the deputy at the door said he had to see my mailed invitation before I could enter the room. He takes a look at it and says, "they have already selected jurors for the case you were to appear for. Go down to the second floor cashier and get your bus fair refunded, you're free to go home". He signs the letter and I go.

Damn, if I knew it was going to be that easy I wouldn't have lied about my trips to CA. (Emotorcons still aren't working, read with a smiley face here)

jmonroe

• Options
    edited March 2016

@dino001,
    My sister is the opposite of your sister. PHD, but doesn't have clue about how money works.
    Kind of scares me because I'm distributing to her a good chunk of money.

Is it a PhD in literature? :wink:

2018 430i Gran Coupe

• Options
    edited March 2016
    J, did you try typing a colon (:), preceeded by a space? I don't have emotorcons in the menu, either, but when type a colon after a space, it opens them up. You need to finish it with a colon, too.

2018 430i Gran Coupe

• Options
    Just how many of y'all aren't seeing the icons above the posting box?
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    stever said:

I see them on the iPad, but not on a desktop, after quoting, I believe. There may even be a browser difference. Would have to confirm it, exactly.

2018 430i Gran Coupe

• Options
    edited March 2016

dino001 said:

My high school graduate wife would appreciate those kind words. She's the smartest person I know.

Hey, here's a mystery.

I was looking at a car site and saw this gem (2015) for just under $30k...7600 miles.

I felt that I'd made a poor choice buying new until I realized it was just a 4cyl. The interesting thing is that though the car is at a dealer in NY it was originally from Canada. How is that possible? Would that screw up registration, inspection or warranty?

Date: Mileage: Source: Comments:
    04/14/2015 NICB Vehicle manufactured
    and shipped to original dealer
    05/06/2015 Newfoundland
    Motor Vehicle Dept.
    St. John's, NL Registration issued or renewed
    First owner reported
    Registered as commercial vehicle
    01/13/2016 7,683 Quebec
    Motor Vehicle Dept. Registration issued or renewed
    Odometer reported as 12,365 kilometers
    01/20/2016 Dealer Inventory Vehicle offered for sale
    02/27/2016 7,685 Dealer Inventory Vehicle offered for sale
    03/16/2016 myCARFAX

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options
    @dino001.
    No, infectious disease (did a lot of AIDS research back in the day). ;)
  • Options

@dino001.
    No, infectious disease (did a lot of AIDS research back in the day). ;)

So presumably can operate complex mathematical formulas, modern equipment, etc., but adding couple of bucks is a mystery... I've seen that before. People either unable, or refuse to transfer skills they already have to an area outside of their field.

2018 430i Gran Coupe

• Options

I'm a farmer with a master degree. Think how I feel. :'(

• Options
    imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,155
    edited March 2016

There are lots of bright people who don't have a lot of formal education. I know of some academics who don't know a whole lot about the real world......they may know a lot about their particular field - splitting atoms or whatever - but, they barely function in the real world, and they wouldn't be able to read people properly in a courtroom.

Right on. The ability for common sense thinking isn't related to a degree in a special area or multiple degrees. Many people don't have the opportunity for advanced degrees or special training. My wife, a retired teacher, always talked about how parents coming in knew more about education than the teachers did. The worst were engineers because of our location with auto plants and an Air Force base nearby. In her opinion, they thought they had everything worked out when it came to how those dumb teachers should meet the state and local requirements for education while keeping their own kid happy. Most of the teachers in those two buildings where my wife worked had more degrees than the engineers. Everyone has something to contribute, just not as much as some believe in their own heads. I'm sure some engineers are good.

The two juries I was on had interesting people who spoke out with their common sense. Best was a nurse who did upper GI testing but had a wide spectrum of clinical test experience with other tests when I was on a back injury case. We decided part of the plaintiff's problem was in her head, not her spine. I pointed out that the car was hit at a solid point on the A-pillar and damage was consistent with 25 mph speed limit and lower impact speed. I talked about the forces and directions of those on a driver in the collision.

On another jury for assault in a fight, no real motive was shown. I suggested there was much more to the story and the prosecutor didn't want to show the victim didn't have clean hands. It was either a woman, drugs, or money causing the friction. It wasn't just too much testosterone. Other jurors contributed solid opinions and information but in the end we didn't find guilt. We were met afterwards by a very disappointed asst. prosecutor who wanted to ask us in the hallway what caused the innocent verdict in his case.

If I'd been on the case with the pastor refusing to consider guilt, I would have passed a note to the bailiff requesting to speak to the judge (with both attorneys present I assume). He needed to be replaced with an alternate.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,558
    all the emotorcons and other goodies appearing for me.

Farmer, cars come over all the time. I believe they just have to go through some updates and paperwork, and change anything not in compliance. My guess is a new Mustang sold in Canada is identical to the US model, with maybe the speedo swapped so Km is primary scale?

not sure about warranty. Someone that was interested in this type of auto arbitrage (or maybe it was driver with his car) said that the warranty did not transfer?

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,506
    edited March 2016

How are things going?

Welcome, or more properly, welcome back. Dozens/hundreds have fled the Edmunds boards over the past 15 years, so it's nice to hear from an old-timer.

What you'll find is that two people more-or-less monopolize the board, with interesting input from many others.

Richard has left. Sad.

'08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    dino001 said:

I see them on the iPad, but not on a desktop, after quoting, I believe. There may even be a browser difference. Would have to confirm it, exactly.

Hm, everyone should be seeing them even when quoting.

@oldfarmer50, my neighbor may have you beat. He's a farmer with a PhD. He landed at the local university (big ag school) and now that he's retired, he spends a lot of time repairing tractors for the family spread up in Montana that his brothers run.

I'm kind of curious about his neighbor across the road that has a three bay RV garage. Every time I've seen it open, it's been full of tractors.
  • Options
    abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,258
    edited March 2016
    Got a chance to get cozy with my brother's new Mercedes-Benz S Coupe.  What surprised me the most is that he does not have a retracting moonroof/sunroof in his car.  It is a heavily tinted piece of glass that covers 3/4 of his roof.  Inside, he has a full sunshade that does retract so that if you want sun coming into the car, you can move the shade back to reveal the glass.

The car is Diamond White Metallic and he has the AMG sport wheels.  I found it a little tighter on the inside than his 2014 CL Coupe, but the quality and workmanship are unsurpassed as is the styling.  His interior is a very light gray.  When you start it up and hit the accelerator, it has a "growl" sound alerting you to the fact that this is not a turbo V6, but rather a big V8 Twin Turbo.  Truly a gorgeous automobile but too costly for my budget.

He's had the car since January 2nd, but he has about 2500 miles on it - 500 miles more than my CLS that I got at the end of November.  His front grille is almost identical to mine.  

SIDE NOTE

One of my friends works at a Mercedes dealership - he called me this morning to give me the scoop on the new E Class (2017) scheduled for its debut in 3 months.  You can order one now but they are being built only with the twin turbo 4 cylinder engine for the first 6 months - unavailable with the V6 twin turbo for the initial build.  There is no way I would drive a 240 hp E Class vehicle.  Way too underpowered for a 4200 lb vehicle.  I can't imagine what they were thinking of.  It will be available with the 6 later in the year.

BTW, Bold and Italics do not show up on my iPhone - but if I tap the screen where they used to be, I get access.  Something definitely wrong with the program.  :o

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    stever said:

I see em fine :(:):p:s:D

• Options
    stickguy said:

all the emotorcons and other goodies appearing for me.

Farmer, cars come over all the time. I believe they just have to go through some updates and paperwork, and change anything not in compliance. My guess is a new Mustang sold in Canada is identical to the US model, with maybe the speedo swapped so Km is primary scale?

not sure about warranty. Someone that was interested in this type of auto arbitrage (or maybe it was driver with his car) said that the warranty did not transfer?

Some warranties are transferable and some not.....most these days are not.

More than Kms on the speedo though, all cars must have running lights - usually the parking lights or regular lights at less power I think, and there are a few emission devices.

• Options
    houdini1houdini1 Member Posts: 8,327
    edited March 2016

dino001 said:

Isell, I thought it was a compliment to us old broken down retired salesmen to be grouped in with housewives and welders ! :) I see them too !

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

• Options
    Individual farmers are often getting into a tough situation with the costs of land and equipment. Seems like its another line of work that is going to be taken over by big corporate type farms.
  • Options

dino001 said:

My high school graduate wife would appreciate those kind words. She's the smartest person I know.

Hey, here's a mystery.

I was looking at a car site and saw this gem (2015) for just under $30k...7600 miles.

I felt that I'd made a poor choice buying new until I realized it was just a 4cyl. The interesting thing is that though the car is at a dealer in NY it was originally from Canada. How is that possible? Would that screw up registration, inspection or warranty?

Date: Mileage: Source: Comments:
    04/14/2015 NICB Vehicle manufactured
    and shipped to original dealer
    05/06/2015 Newfoundland
    Motor Vehicle Dept.
    St. John's, NL Registration issued or renewed
    First owner reported
    Registered as commercial vehicle
    01/13/2016 7,683 Quebec
    Motor Vehicle Dept. Registration issued or renewed
    Odometer reported as 12,365 kilometers
    01/20/2016 Dealer Inventory Vehicle offered for sale
    02/27/2016 7,685 Dealer Inventory Vehicle offered for sale
    03/16/2016 myCARFAX

It is probably OK....if it made it into the US it probably has all the right forms. Odometer is in KMs, so take 12k X .6 which is about 7200 miles. Speedometer will show mph but smaller. How much was it new?

• Options
    Re: website comments, I've found this site to be a bit on and off funky the last several days.
  • Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,558
    Driver, what I meant was that the US specs were stricter than the Canadian ones, so they just sent the US spec ones up north. Same way down here when NY and CA had stricter rules, some makers just said to heck with it, and made all the cars that way.

DRLs are fairly common down here now, and an easy retrofit, and some cars you can swap the odo display to KM or Miles, since it is all in the ECU anyway. The speedo though would be reversed (big vs. small) unless it was also changable in the settings. I bet your MB can do that if you want!

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    stever said:

I see them. I just can't do anything with them !!

jmonroe

• Options
    dino001 said:

J, did you try typing a colon (:), preceeded by a space? I don't have emotorcons in the menu, either, but when type a colon after a space, it opens them up. You need to finish it with a colon, too.

dino, That works :smile: YIPPEE

So, what about getting BOLD to work ? C'mon you can tell me :open_mouth:

Thanks, I knew it would take another technical wizard to help me :smile:

jmonroe

• Options
    edited March 2016
    You can use html to get bold. To get this, see the screenshot.

bold

• Options
    imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,155

I can't get anything to post from any of the boxes in profile except for the location box.

I put the cars I own into a signature file and they post after the message. None of the other boxes in profile post other than location.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,098

I put the cars I own into a signature file and they post after the message. None of the other boxes in profile post other than location.

Imid, speaking of that, do you still have the Cobalt? For some reason I thought that went away when you got the Cruze.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
    stickguy said:

Driver, what I meant was that the US specs were stricter than the Canadian ones, so they just sent the US spec ones up north. Same way down here when NY and CA had stricter rules, some makers just said to heck with it, and made all the cars that way.

DRLs are fairly common down here now, and an easy retrofit, and some cars you can swap the odo display to KM or Miles, since it is all in the ECU anyway. The speedo though would be reversed (big vs. small) unless it was also changable in the settings. I bet your MB can do that if you want!

Stick, I checked to get an idea of what may be required to import a car into Canada. you look up the make and model and they tell you what has to be done. I looked at importing a Mustang and most models would be ok....not ones that had been modified though like Shelbys. This is an example of what they say about importing a Mustang:

[EIS]: Some models may not be equipped with factory issued Electronic Immobilization Systems. Importers must ensure that EIS requirements can be met and should contact the manufacturer prior to importation if it appears the vehicle requires an EIS installation. Read paragraph #9 of the "EXPLANATIONS" section for more information about EIS.

DAYTIME RUNNING LAMPS (DRLs): Many Ford models have a configurable lighting system module that can be reconfigured. Contact an authorized Ford or Lincoln dealer for additional information

Best to get a broker to fill out forms and make sure car will comply. When Cdn $ was about 5% lower than US $, and car was 25% less, many people shopped in the US for a car. Manufacturers told dealers not to sell into Canada.

The E400 has a digital speedo that can be switched from kms to miles, the physical speedo is always in Kms. The bmw 535 only showed KMs- another example of how Mercedes makes their cars a little more user friendly.

• Options
    ab348 said:

Imid, speaking of that, do you still have the Cobalt? For some reason I thought that went away when you got the Cruze.
    Maybe he couldn't change it on his signature! :D