Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see May lease deals!
Options

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• Options
    berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    Yeah, and companies often predict the worse just to cushion their stock price downturn. Personally, I think UK leaving EU would ultimately just make Merkel and Germany more powerful within the rest of western Europe and perhaps tilt it all a bit more toward China. But you're right, who really knows. I think Wall Street is already benefiting from the EU because of their negative interest rates over there. I'm very leery of that concept and concerned it may lead to deflation over there if it goes longer term. Also, Japan beat the EU to negative rates and doesn't seem to be helping things at all in Tokyo. I think the US and Canada just need to start focusing more internally and the US Federal Reserve needs to get on with raising rates a bit before bubbles get too large and burst here and we see 2007/8 all over again.
  • Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,150
    None of it makes any sense to me when it comes to the stock market. My retirement portfolio lost 2% in just the last week. That is about 6 months of car payments for me. Why? What is different today in the markets than it was this time last week? Beats me, but I know somebody made money by me losing money.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
    oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,757
    driver100 said:

House prices are still rising rapidly in Canada. This house in Vancouver is listed at just under $4 million!!!!!!

It is 2 bdrm/2bthrm. The average price of a home in Canada is now $508,000. I am wondering if prices will take off again in the US.

Is there an oil well in the back yard?

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options
    edited June 2016

carnaught said:

GG, sorry you have to go through what would seem an incredibly difficult situation. Is she of Chinese heritage? (Hope you don't mind my asking; I don't mean to seem insensitive.)

Thanks, all! I'll be fine.

carnaught....nope...she's not Chinese. She's a mix of Norwegian/German/Scottish. Her family has been in the U.S. for at least 5 generations.

She has a degree in education (primary school) with a minor in Chinese. She also has a Masters in Education with emphasis on Chinese culture. She's as fluent in Chinese as anyone can be coming from a native English speaker. I know she had contacts living in China she met when in school. But, that was a while ago. There are some gaps in her life that she wouldn't talk about, at least not with me. But, I never pressed her on them, believing she would share them if/when she wanted.

In short, I don't care any more.
    Maybe she was a Chineese spy. :s

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,150

Maybe she was a Chineese spy. :smile:

I swear, OF, the same thought entered my mind... :o

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
    houdini1houdini1 Member Posts: 8,328
    ab348 said:

Maybe she was a Chineese spy. :smile:

I swear, OF, the same thought entered my mind... :o

I just hope GG didn't share his car buying secrets with her. With that info the Chinese could take over the world.

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

• Options
    OK, what's the down side?

I'm thinking hoses and seals of all kinds...engine , transmission, AC etc. anything else?

http://albany.craigslist.org/cto/5626173815.html

• Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    First thing I'd do is verify the mileage.
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Lot of off-topic flagging going on this afternoon, and it's not all just from me. There's better sites out there to discuss the Orlando tragedy on.
  • Options
    abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,258
    I get the message, Stever - sorry - just upset about the 50 killed in Orlando.

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    Thanks - maybe those interested can take it to Facebook or similar.
  • Options
    imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,177
    edited June 2016
    I'd heard on a radio program about Tesla arguing with an owner about agreeing to fix a defect in his Tesla, but he'd have to sign a nondisclosure agreement. The story I heard said he had refused and reported the defect to the NHTSA group.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DgdKZMlzQog

http://www.autoblog.com/2016/06/09/model-s-owner-claims-tesla-forced-him-to-keep-quiet/

NHTSA learned of Tesla’s troublesome nondisclosure agreement last month. The agency immediately informed Tesla that any language implying that consumers should not contact the agency regarding safety concerns is unacceptable, and NHTSA expects Tesla to eliminate any such language. Tesla representatives told NHTSA that it was not their intention to dissuade consumers from contacting the agency.

http://www.autoblog.com/2016/06/09/model-s-owner-claims-tesla-forced-him-to-keep-quiet/

So that's how you keep a reputation? Extortion of the owners in order to get free repairs...

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• Options
    carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,499
    abacomike said:

Noticed my ABUSE numbers went from 5, up to 10 today.

Thanks to all my "buddies" on the board for that. (Almost out of here.)

• Options
    abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,258
    carnaught said:
    Noticed my ABUSE numbers went from 5, up to 10 today. Thanks to all my "buddies" on the board for that. (Almost out of here.)
    So did mine - up to 10.  I am out of here for good!  Bye all - I don't need ABUSE from YOU!

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    Mike, please see private message to you.
  • Options
    berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    I do think when we are marked spam or abuse that there should be an explanation. It all seems kind of petty and childish otherwise. More like those bogus star ratings on review sites made with no basis in fact.
  • Options
    andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,730
    edited June 2016
    What's the downside to getting too many abuse ratings?
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    All those abuses were from the hosts. Better read this quick. Shifty gave several people 5 each.

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

• Options
    fezofezo Member Posts: 10,384
    Uh oh. Better check my profile.
    2015 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2014 Mazda 3 Sport Hatchback, 1999 Mazda Miata 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999.
  • Options
    fezofezo Member Posts: 10,384
    Nope. Still good but there are 2 abuse things on there only one of which shows why and it was ancient and a guy with absolutely zero sense of humor wanting people to diagnose his dead dashboard lights.
    2015 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2014 Mazda 3 Sport Hatchback, 1999 Mazda Miata 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    I believe the consensus among your own group here was that partisan politics was off the table. This has worked so well for us for a long time. A flag is just a friendly reminder. I wish it said "oops!" instead of "abuse". :)

Please carry on with our regular programming.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    fezo said:

Nope. Still good but there are 2 abuse things on there only one of which shows why and it was ancient and a guy with absolutely zero sense of humor wanting people to diagnose his dead dashboard lights.

If you have an abuse with no explanation, it was from a host.

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

• Options
    graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,669
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • Options
    suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    Point taken. Sometimes the Religious Studies professor in me rises to the fore. Will put on my car lover hat instead. Still thinking about that Mazda 3 I test drove last week. :)
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,699
    whatever the excitement here was today, I missed it all, out doing chores and errands. And somehow, I still have 0 abuses (I even figured out how to check the other day).

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    now that, is one hell of a nice looking car But 58K? Yowzers.

when I was out looking Friday with my son, we ran out of time to get to the BMW dealer. He wants to look at the 2 series, but it would be a 228i coupe, with fewer options!

did it follow you home? Perfect time of the year for it!

• Options
    imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,177
    edited June 2016
    Classy. I've seen a car like that in that color around here. We have a BMW
    store nearby.

Question: are they allowed to put Consumer's Report's ratings in their
    description of the vehicle on the page? I thought Consumer's Report
    was "pure" and wouldn't allow their name to be used in advertising
    by other companies Maybe this isn't considered advertising?

"Our M235i Convertible also surrounds you with meticulously designed advanced safety features including a rear view camera, park distance control, and more to keep you safe from harm as it earned a record-setting 98/100 Consumer Reports rating. "

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• Options
  • Options
    Have no idea whether I have received any "abuse" notices....ever! Wouldn't even know where to look.
  • Options
    andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,730
    The TTS is too fast for sport-bikes to get in my way in the twisties, I didn't flash them today, but I will in the future to signal they shouldn't try to stay in front of me. Mesa Grande and Palomar mountain have great roads.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • Options
    edited June 2016

Have no idea whether I have received any "abuse" notices....ever! Wouldn't even know where to look.

GG, simply double-click on your user name, and it'll take you to your personal page.
  • Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,480
    @graphicguy - very sexy!

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,404
    Kind of decided to wait on looking to fill our empty garage bay until August, BUT my wife said the other day, so when are you going to get another car?
    I went to look at a Focus today. MSRP is 27,9xx and it is not an ST model!
    2015 Titanium, a nice blue, plus 1 wheels, moonroof, heated leather seats, nav, plus it's stick(5 speed).
    Didn't exactly wow me, but it might be worth a test drive.

2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options

Classy. I've seen a car like that in that color around here. We have a BMW
    store nearby.

Question: are they allowed to put Consumer's Report's ratings in their
    description of the vehicle on the page? I thought Consumer's Report
    was "pure" and wouldn't allow their name to be used in advertising
    by other companies Maybe this isn't considered advertising?

"Our M235i Convertible also surrounds you with meticulously designed advanced safety features including a rear view camera, park distance control, and more to keep you safe from harm as it earned a record-setting 98/100 Consumer Reports rating. "
    Imid....good point. I'm sure CR would have a hard time keeping up with all the times they're refferenced without their permission.

They usually have minimal staff on Sundays. The guy I deal with happened to be there, and I stopped by to chat with him. He asked if I had time to take a look at something. He knew I was looking at an M235i coupe. He knew I liked that blue color, too. The convertible feature put me over the top.

I only drove it for about 15 minutes, but that was enough to when my appetite. Really fun car. Not sure I'm ready to buy anything else just yet, though.
  • Options
    nyccarguy said:

@graphicguy - very sexy!

Bradd...trying to justify in my mind that it will be a 4 aseason car since it has xDrive. Not sure that's realistic, though.

Saw the guy who owns the Cobra 'vert at Costco yesterday. He still has it, and said he's still considering selling it.

I didn't take that conversation any further.
  • Options
    driver100driver100 Member Posts: 32,007
    stickguy said:

whatever the excitement here was today, I missed it all, out doing chores and errands. And somehow, I still have 0 abuses (I even figured out how to check the other day).

Me too! I was out playing Pickleball...helped me stay out of trouble :s

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

• Options
    edited June 2016
    Everyone else was trying to get themselves in a pickle. Meanwhile I got half my vigas and window trim log oiled in between popping in to see the fun. Ah, politics and religion.

Remember this blast from the past from @abacomike?

"Thanks, Kirstie! I'd rather "gorget" politics as well "forget" politics. We were doing so well on this new thread until today.

Every time we got involved in politics on the old thread (SFTSF) it was gruesome."
  • Options
    What do you oil them with?
  • Options
    GG, my guess, you would get tired of having a "fun" car as your only wheels, and would look to move on sooner than normal. Or, to fill up your 2nd garage bay with a practical car of some kind, keeping the convertible for nice days.

and if that is the case, might as well keep the caddy for now (at least until you find another practical car you like better) and get a cheaper toy, like that Cobra, to serve as the toy.

• Options
    edited June 2016

What do you oil them with?

Didn't you ever help people oil their cabins during your Talkeetna days? Back in the day is was just "log oil" you'd get at the hardware store.

Of course nowadays, it's gotta be Dexos semi-synthetic 5w30 log oil.

@xwesx should know what the good stuff is - but actually I'm just using some semi-transparent stain from Lowes. Got so-so reviews but hopefully we won't be here forever.
  • Options
    that reminds me. I need to stain my shed this week. It actually badly needs to be replaced, but I don't want to spend the crazy amount of money it will take in total, so trying to nurse it along. So I am taking the leftover stain I have in the basement (from a swingset long since gone) and slapping a coat on the part we can see. Hopefully that keeps the wife at bay for another 1-2 years! I put a new roof on it a few years back for the same reason.

• Options
    Oh YEAH I remember that stuff. I did a HUGE log house up there in Talkeetna one season.

I use teak oil here in California, for things like outdoor redwood and pine furniture
  • Options
    roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,416
    Hang in there GG, cases like yours are tough. Family Court is never fun...

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport-2020 C43-2021 Sahara 4xe-1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica
    Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i
    Son's: 2018 330i xDrive

• Options
    roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,416
    edited June 2016
    Well, my M235i survived the track weekend just fine. The PSS tires are worn pretty well and according to the vehicle status screen the event took 1000 miles of life out of both the front and rear brake pads. A few observations:

The Sport+ mode is just about perfect; it doesn't let the nannies intervene unless you get the car really out of shape. I took a couple of corners with the tail hung waaaay out with no interference from the stability control.

The ZF automatic is almost as smart as I am; there were only a couple of spots on the course where I thought it shifted differently than I would have.

The M Sport brakes are great. No fade.

The only "failure" was the loss of the RF wheel center cap, but I'm sure my dealer will replace it under warranty.

It's really a great dual purpose car; able to serve as a relaxed cruiser and as an aggressive track toy. Watch out once it gets the M Performance diff and sticky track rubber.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport-2020 C43-2021 Sahara 4xe-1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica
    Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i
    Son's: 2018 330i xDrive

• Options
    edited June 2016
    stever said:

Everyone else was trying to get themselves in a pickle. Meanwhile I got half my vigas and window trim log oiled in between popping in to see the fun. Ah, politics and religion.

"Thanks, Kirstie! I'd rather "gorget" politics as well "forget" politics. We were doing so well on this new thread until today.

Every time we got involved in politics on the old thread (SFTSF) it was gruesome."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SAY WHAT?

Hmmm.....unless I blacked out or had a bad attack of palsy on my keyboard, I want to assure all of you that I did not give out 5 abuse flags at a time to various posters.

I suspect Vanilla went a little bonkers?

• Options
    0-60 in 4 with only 320 hp.? What does it weigh? That's pretty impressive. I'd love to have a convertible but $58k is out of my range.

• Options
    snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,345
    And?

Anything to say about it?

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

• Options
    snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,345
    andres3 said:

The TTS is too fast for sport-bikes to get in my way in the twisties, I didn't flash them today, but I will in the future to signal they shouldn't try to stay in front of me. Mesa Grande and Palomar mountain have great roads.

Sports bikes should leave you far behind in the twisties. They have a much higher power to weight ratio, low center of gravity and a high degree of lean. If you kept up with them they either wern't trying or were not skilled enough.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

• Options
    driver100driver100 Member Posts: 32,007
    stickguy said:

GG, my guess, you would get tired of having a "fun" car as your only wheels, and would look to move on sooner than normal. Or, to fill up your 2nd garage bay with a practical car of some kind, keeping the convertible for nice days.

and if that is the case, might as well keep the caddy for now (at least until you find another practical car you like better) and get a cheaper toy, like that Cobra, to serve as the toy.

Good advice. I got my 2008 BMW 328 Cabriolet as a fun car, and it was fun. But you can only put the roof down about 10 to 20 days a year, The rest of the time not much room inside, and a little tiring getting in and out. 90% of convertible buyers don't buy another one. I enjoyed the 328 vert, but, I prefer the solidness and comfort of the E400.

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

• Options

stever said:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SAY WHAT?

Hmmm.....unless I blacked out or had a bad attack of palsy on my keyboard, I want to assure all of you that I did not give out 5 abuse flags at a time to various posters.

I suspect Vanilla went a little bonkers?

Thanks for the clarification shifty. I mentioned the flag issue because a couple of posters that received 5 flags were under the impression that 5 of their fellow posters had flagged them. They were upset and threatened to leave the forum. I wanted them to know that was not the case, and that it was just you doing your job, but somehow the software turned your single flags into 5 flags each.

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460