Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see May lease deals!
Options

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• Options
    henrynhenryn Member Posts: 4,289

My IPad only has a connection with the house router. It goes dead about 50 feet down the driveway. I suppose some international spy could be hiding in my bushes and getting my signal.

2023 Chevrolet Silverado, 2019 Chrysler Pacifica
  • Options
    oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,723
    henryn said:

My IPad only has a connection with the house router. It goes dead about 50 feet down the driveway. I suppose some international spy could be hiding in my bushes and getting my signal.

So that was you in the bushes? ;)

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options
    jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,617

henryn said:

So that was you in the bushes? ;)
    If I saw that in my bushes that would be an unscheduled target practice day.

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • Options
    roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,398
    I have a VPN installed on my phone and laptop.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport 2020 C43 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica
    Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i
    Son's: 2018 330i xDrive

• Options
    driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,994
    Here's a question for DIYers?
    We had a new one hole faucet (or is that a tap?) installed in one of the bathrooms.
    It's the kind that has one handle that you would normally pull to the right for cold, to the left for hot.
    The cold works fine but the hot id almost as cold.
    The question is......is there an adjustment inside that should make it switch over? Did they not install it right? Is it more likely the hot water tank is not working properly....it doesn't seem to be as hot as it used to be?
    Questions, questions, JMonroe probably doesn't get up until noon :D

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

• Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,635

Is the hot Water normal at other faucets? If so likely not the water heater.

Check if the hot water valve under the sink is turned back on. Might still be mostly shut.

If that is also ok could be a defective mixing valve in the faucet.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,127
    One-handle faucets like that have a cartridge inside that controls the water flow and mixing of hot and cold. They are typically brass or plastic with various rubber o-rings and seals. If one of those gets out of place it can cause what you describe. But first I would check the hot water heater itself and the shutoff valve under the sink as Stick suggested.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
    Geez, I've been doing all of my banking and bill payments online or with pre-authorized withdrawals since about 2000. How have I avoided all those risks of being made penniless by the scamsters?

I think scam phone solicitations from spoofed phone numbers are far more risky.

• Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 238,401
    I'm with @ab348 on the shutoff valve under the sink not being opened completely, and a big proponent of on-line banking. Writing a check is way more risk than paying your bills through your bank portal.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,338

@oldfarmer50 said:
    I do limited online financial stuff but when I get the prompt to “remember me” I don’t click it. That way if evil forces hack my computer there’s no record of them. If someone wants my passwords they have to come to the house and fight for them.

The only problem is keeping track of them each time I login to an account.

One time I accidentally hit the "remember me" prompt but have changed the password since then so an old unused password is sitting there every time I log in. For whatever reason on one of my work passwords every time it required a password reset I would think of a short new password and add it onto the old password. Now that password is more than 40 characters.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

• Options
    tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,954
    We saw Chris Stapleton last night at the Hard Rock in Atlantic City. Wow! Is all I have to say. Just an incredible performance. I knew he could sing, but never realized the guitarist he is. Two hour jam session. No openers, no breaks , no gimmicks. I’ll be going again.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• Options
    driver100 said:

Here's a question for DIYers?
    We had a new one hole faucet (or is that a tap?) installed in one of the bathrooms.
    It's the kind that has one handle that you would normally pull to the right for cold, to the left for hot.
    The cold works fine but the hot id almost as cold.
    The question is......is there an adjustment inside that should make it switch over? Did they not install it right? Is it more likely the hot water tank is not working properly....it doesn't seem to be as hot as it used to be?
    Questions, questions, JMonroe probably doesn't get up until noon :D

I’m up and you just caught me before heading over to flip #4.

I have never seen an adjustment on faucets for water temp at sinks. I have seen and had to install faucets for baths and showers, to meet the newest codes in our county. They are a PITA to adjust. Have to be between 120 F and 130 F and the county plumbing inspector is a real stickler on that. He failed us once at flip #3 because the water tank temp was too high. The code for water tank temp is between 130 and 140 F. Our temp was 142.5 IIRC. That inspector is known for being a stickler and of course we had to pay him to come out the second time too. Like I said before it’s a complete racket at it’s best.

If your water temp is fine at other faucets the unit you had installed is bad. The “GUY” that installed it should not have left if the temp was too low.

FWIW, we installed a new 50 gallon water heater and the thermopile is bad so the pilot won’t stay lit and as a result we don’t have hot water. My Son contacted the manufacturer and they are sending a new one but it’s been 4 days and still not here. If a family lived here that would not be good at all. I’d yank it out and return it to Home Depot. However, it’s a one car garage house with the driveway in the front with a retaining wall on both sides and the dumpster is blocking access to the street. If the thermopile doesn’t show up when the dumpster is gone (hopefully by mid week) the water heater is going back. :#:#

I’ve gotta get to my non-paying job now. Good luck.

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 238,401
    edited April 2022
    tjc78 said:

We saw Chris Stapleton last night at the Hard Rock in Atlantic City. Wow! Is all I have to say. Just an incredible performance. I knew he could sing, but never realized the guitarist he is. Two hour jam session. No openers, no breaks , no gimmicks. I’ll be going again.

Going to see him would make my wife very happy.. thanks for the review.

Geez.. he is here in August at Riverbend (outdoor amphitheater). Sold out.
    Resale tickets: $100 lawn, $375 cheapest seat.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    pensfan83pensfan83 Member Posts: 2,571

@venture said:
    I use my cell phone and Google Pay to buy almost all day-to-day items that I used to use cash for. Some of the biggest companies won't accept it (like Lowes and Home Depot).

I pay all the bills using the bill payer service from my credit union. It takes about 5 minutes. No automatic withdrawals.

The FI I work for is seeing such an increase in the usage of digital wallets they've begun removing instant card issuance machines from some branches.

1997 Honda Prelude Base - 2022 Acura MDX Type S Advance - 2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road - 2006 BMW 330Ci ZHP
  • Options
    henryn said:

Man, mount that baby on a helmet and tether it to your phone. You'll never be out of range! :D

• Options
    kyfdx said:

tjc78 said:

Call me cheap but I wouldn’t pay those prices to see me perform and I know you guys wouldn’t either.

jmonroe
  • Options
    ventureventure Member Posts: 2,906
    pensfan83 said:

@venture said:

I use my cell phone and Google Pay to buy almost all day-to-day items that I used to use cash for. Some of the biggest companies won't accept it (like Lowes and Home Depot).

I pay all the bills using the bill payer service from my credit union. It takes about 5 minutes. No automatic withdrawals.

The FI I work for is seeing such an increase in the usage of digital wallets they've begun removing instant card issuance machines from some branches.

I'm not too swift. What does that mean?

2020 Ascent Limited, 2024 Subaru Legacy Sport

• Options
    venture said:

pensfan83 said:

@venture said:

It sounds like another service that is being deleted. Then next week they’ll tell us how much they value our biz.

Banks are not in biz for our convenience. They’re not philanthropists. Our job is to pick the best from a bad lot.

jmonroe
  • Options
    A few years back, when I was living out in the boonies, I set up a few systems using those long range parabolic antennas for internet access. They actually work pretty well when they are first set up and the antennas are perfectly aligned, but it is very difficult to keep them aligned. They need to have a clear line of sight, so they need to be up high. And the higher the mount, the harder it is to keep it stable. A very small shift in the angle and they stop working.
  • Options
    jmonroe1 said:

I have never seen an adjustment on faucets for water temp at sinks. I have seen and had to install faucets for baths and showers, to meet the newest codes in our county. They are a PITA to adjust.

jmonroe

I have to agree with the above. Truly a PITA. I did the faucet in the guest bathroom about 2 years ago as it was not getting enough hot water. It took me 3 tries to get that sucker adjusted where I wanted it.
  • Options

@kyfdx said:

We got lucky and bought the tickets direct before it sold out. Still for floor it came to $500 or so.

• Options
    stickguy said:

Check if the hot water valve under the sink is turned back on. Might still be mostly shut.

@ab348 @kyfdx @jmonroe1
    Thanks for the help....I believe you have solved the problem. It was the hot water valve under the sink......now it works. The hot water heater seems to be OK, but I don't think it is as hot as it used to be....even though it is turned up.
    That was the work that was done when we started out just wanting to fix the plug mechanism on the sink, probably a $20 part. Then MrsD100 decided on a new sink, new faucets, a new toilet, a new kitchen sink, a new garbage disposal, a real professional one, not a Badger........$4000 later...........

• Options

Nice sunny crisp morning for a long bike ride

• Options
    driver100 said:

That was the work that was done when we started out just wanting to fix the plug mechanism on the sink, probably a $20 part. Then MrsD100 decided on a new sink, new faucets, a new toilet, a new kitchen sink, a new garbage disposal, a real professional one, not a Badger........$4000 later...........

Mere loose change from the sofa cushions for the triple M-B owner... B)

• Options
    sdasda Member Posts: 6,998
    driver100 said:

stickguy said:

@ab348 @kyfdx @jmonroe1
    Thanks for the help....I believe you have solved the problem. It was the hot water valve under the sink......now it works. The hot water heater seems to be OK, but I don't think it is as hot as it used to be....even though it is turned up.
    I am very familiar with that reality.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• Options

@sda said:
    I am very familiar with that reality.

Aren’t we all.

• Options
    tjc78 said:

I would love to see him. my daughter would be so jealous!

• Options
    ocean looking good. Nice to have the boardwalk for the bikes. Just watch the tram car, please.

• Options
    edited April 2022
    ab348 said:

Geez, I've been doing all of my banking and bill payments online or with pre-authorized withdrawals since about 2000. How have I avoided all those risks of being made penniless by the scamsters?

I think scam phone solicitations from spoofed phone numbers are far more risky.

Sometimes all that security can be more trouble than it’s worth. (Warning: long rant ahead)

Today I decided to buy a new lawn tractor. I knew what brand and model I wanted so off to Home Depot. I was greeted by this little old man who was eager to assist but didn’t know his backside from a hole in the wall. He was the most misinformed associate I had ever seen. Anyway, I go to pay and the clerk says “if you order it on line you’ll save the $79 delivery charge. Great! I ask if they can order it for me on their computer. Sure, they say, and start tapping on their buttons. 30 minutes later they conclude that the tractor can’t be order at all on line. I say ok I’ll take one of the three sitting in the store. Sorry, they say, those are all sold.

So for all my trouble I’m told to drop dead.

Off to Lowe’s. Yes, they sell that same model for the same price but they have none in stock and don’t expect to have more for a long time. BUT….the Lowe’s in the next town has three.

I call the other store up and indeed they have the tractor in stock. I place the order with a guy who sounds like he just started yesterday and give him my credit card number. He drops the phone a few times and has me repeat my information a few more time before he says “Your credit card is declined”.

What the heck? The supervisor gets involved and says yep, declined.

So now I’m calling MasterCard to find out why a card with a $20k credit limit and zero balance is getting declined. They basically don’t know but mumble something about “fraud protection”. I had to resurrect an old email account to get to their fraud alert email and unblock my account.

I’m just glad I was doing this by phone at home and not in the store with no way to look all this information up. My antique flip phone has no email or internet capabilities. I’m quickly being pushed aside by modern technology.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options
    should have just signed up at Lowe's for one of their credit cards. Takes about 5 minutes at the register, and you get 10% off the first purchase (then 5% off every future purchase). Could have saved a few hundred $s, and a lot of aggravation!

• Options
    edited April 2022
    ab348 said:

driver100 said:

Mere loose change from the sofa cushions for the triple M-B owner... B)
    Yah, a 2014, a 2015 and a 2017. A lot of people have boats that are worth more than all those cars together.
    My neighbor has a Porsche that is probably worth all 3 of them. Everything is relative.

• Options
    stickguy said:

should have just signed up at Lowe's for one of their credit cards. Takes about 5 minutes at the register, and you get 10% off the first purchase (then 5% off every future purchase). Could have saved a few hundred $s, and a lot of aggravation!

I tried to get a Lowes credit cars when we bought a $1500 fridge....I wanted the 5% off.
    I was declined which I have never been declined ever. Probably because I was Canadian though that never mattered before.
    I told the manager I would buy the fridge, if I used my VISA card and he gave me a 5% discount....which he did.
    Ridiculous!

• Options
    pensfan83pensfan83 Member Posts: 2,571
    edited April 2022
    venture said:

pensfan83 said:

@venture said:

Several years ago many banks rolled out instant card issuance machines so when you opened an account, you got your debit/ATM card on the spot. When you lost a card you also got a replacement on the spot. I know many people love the convenience of not having to wait for a debit/ATM card.

However, people are increasing their usage of digital payment platforms like Apple Pay, Google Pay, Cash App etc. and relying less upon the physical cards so they are thinning the number of branches that have those machines.
    1997 Honda Prelude Base - 2022 Acura MDX Type S Advance - 2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road - 2006 BMW 330Ci ZHP
  • Options
    When I bought this last ZTR mower, I wound up putting it on American Express. I wanted to write a check and take it home with me, but there was no one working that day at the dealership who could authorize accepting a check. But they could take Amex, which probably cost them 2.5% of $3,400 or about $85.

I have a HomeDepot credit card for the very reason mentioned above, they gave me about $100 off on a major purchase I was making, so why the heck not? And they send me coupons in the mail, I've got one here for $25 off my next purchase of $150 or more if I charge it on their credit card. Which will happen, never doubt it. I guess they just expect you to run a balance and let them make beaucoup money in interest charges.

• Options
    sdasda Member Posts: 6,998
    henryn said:

When I bought this last ZTR mower, I wound up putting it on American Express. I wanted to write a check and take it home with me, but there was no one working that day at the dealership who could authorize accepting a check. But they could take Amex, which probably cost them 2.5% of $3,400 or about $85.

I have a HomeDepot credit card for the very reason mentioned above, they gave me about $100 off on a major purchase I was making, so why the heck not? And they send me coupons in the mail, I've got one here for $25 off my next purchase of $150 or more if I charge it on their credit card. Which will happen, never doubt it. I guess they just expect you to run a balance and let them make beaucoup money in interest charges.

Exactly, and often at 29%. Not me.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• Options

So surprised that HD doesn’t own their credit card. I could only imagine the profit center there.

I have no idea if it’s still this way but a local department store (Boscov’s) owned their credit card and supposedly cleared more money with that then the actual stores.

• Options

@stickguy said:
    ocean looking good. Nice to have the boardwalk for the bikes. Just watch the tram car, please.

That’s what is great about the off season. No tram car! Today really saw signs of life. Several shops were open and some food places.

We try and ride bikes at least once a weekend. We ride up from our house on the bay side and usually ride all the way into North WW where that picture was taken.

• Options
    stickguy said:

Other than the fact I was at home at the time I don’t use company credit cards. I hardly use credit cards at all. When I was initially at Home Depot I had a pocket full of hundred bills. If I wanted to drive to the Lowe’s in the next town I could have done the same.

• Options
    I might bring our bikes down for our annual shore week this year. Have not done that since at least 2019, because we didn't get a trailer hitch (for the bike rake) on the new RDX. This year I can throw it on the Maverick if I want to. Not sure which one we are bringing yet. Probably the truck because we might be transporting my daughter and her BF too. and I know there is zero chance the wife will pack lite enough to put 4 people in the Acura too. Just might not be able to close the tonneau cover on it!

• Options
    Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,974
    Waiting to hear from that handyman to do a few things in the house. He did say "April" so giving him time before I call again. Since he's my co-workers neighbor, know he'll eventually get back to me since they see each other all the time. Just a small list of things to do but the time has come to have them done. Our one neighbor across the street has spent upwards of $80K 0n their house & turns out, they're doing it for themselves & not to move somewhere else. He explained that he & the wife want to enjoy the house with their kids & grandkids so why not have it the way they want. The majority was spent on all new weather impact windows but also re-did their circular drive with pavers. New concrete slabs around the pool, painting the exterior & a lot of new plantings outside including the most beautiful tall palm tree I've ever seen. It's now one of the nicest homes on the block.
    Would like to do some of those things but, doubt we ever will. But one thing I've learned in life is never to say never!!!

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• Options
    henryn said:

The way most people manage their finances that’s probably a safe bet. That’s another reason to not have a bunch of cards.

• Options
    tjc78 said:

So surprised that HD doesn’t own their credit card. I could only imagine the profit center there.

I have no idea if it’s still this way but a local department store (Boscov’s) owned their credit card and supposedly cleared more money with that then the actual stores.

With the interest rates those cards charge I’ve often thought about starting one myself. If I could only remember where all those coffee cans are buried. :/

jmonroe
  • Options
    pensfan83 said:

venture said:

pensfan83 said:

@venture said:

Several years ago many banks rolled out instant card issuance machines so when you opened an account, you got your debit/ATM card on the spot. When you lost a card you also got a replacement on the spot. I know many people love the convenience of not having to wait for a debit/ATM card.

However, people are increasing their usage of digital payment platforms like Apple Pay, Google Pay, Cash App etc. and relying less upon the physical cards so they are thinning the number of branches that have those machines.

I have an Amazon Visa card, they paid me $150 when I obtained it. Seriously, they added $150 to my Amazon account when I was instantly approved for the card. I was going to just cut it up as soon as it arrived, but they're giving me 5% back on Amazon purchases made with this card, so I just keep it in a drawer and leave it tied to my Amazon account. American Express, for whatever reasons, really wants me to "tap" with my Amex card. They've sent me two emails stating that if I "tap" with the card 3 times in the next 30 days, they will give me a $5 statement credit. Except no one seems to have a credit card reader which actually works with the "tap" feature.

I suspect they want the merchants to update / upgrade their card readers, and they figure if the customers complain to the merchants then the upgrades will happen.
  • Options
    I was down at the Goodwill Outlet Store this afternoon. They sell their leftover merchandise there by the pound, and I sometimes pick up some electronics and computer gear to play with. I found an old HP Compaq Elite 8000 small form factor, looked complete but a little beat up. Cost me about $16 or $17, worth it to me for entertainment value.

I got it home, pried open the warped lid, below out all of the dust, and fired it up. It booted Windows 7, no errors, and no password. And I found about 200 gigs of medical files from a Doctor’s office. Mostly billing information, not medical records themselves.

Unbelievable. Simply unbelievable.
  • Options
    We use credit cards all the time....but they all get paid when due...never pay interest. We collect a lot of air miles by using our CCs.

• Options
    28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,405

@henryn said:
    I was down at the Goodwill Outlet Store this afternoon. They sell their leftover merchandise there by the pound, and I sometimes pick up some electronics and computer gear to play with. I found an old HP Compaq Elite 8000 small form factor, looked complete but a little beat up. Cost me about $16 or $17, worth it to me for entertainment value.

I got it home, pried open the warped lid, below out all of the dust, and fired it up. It booted Windows 7, no errors, and no password. And I found about 200 gigs of medical files from a Doctor’s office. Mostly billing information, not medical records themselves.

If there was any patient info in there, even names, they’ve violated HIPAA and any number of state licensure regulations. Really poor form.

2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
  • Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,368
    I've heard a lot of photocopiers have stored images of what was copied on them.
    https://www.cbsnews.com/news/digital-photocopiers-loaded-with-secrets/
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options

@henryn said:

If there was any patient info in there, even names, they’ve violated HIPAA and any number of state licensure regulations. Really poor form.

Yes, there was definitely patient information. As soon as I realized what I was looking at, I wiped the hard drive. I did check to see how recent the records were, there were files dated up to October of 2021.

I can understand an individual not knowing any better, but a Doctor's office? Sheesh! And no password on the computer, push the power button, wait a minute or so, and there you are, everything available, nothing encrypted, no password, no nothing.
  • Options
    pensfan83 said:

venture said:

pensfan83 said:

@venture said:

Thanks. I didn't know there was such a thing as an instant card issuing machine.

• Options
    henryn said:

@henryn said:

Yes, there was definitely patient information. As soon as I realized what I was looking at, I wiped the hard drive. I did check to see how recent the records were, there were files dated up to October of 2021.

I can understand an individual not knowing any better, but a Doctor's office? Sheesh! And no password on the computer, push the power button, wait a minute or so, and there you are, everything available, nothing encrypted, no password, no nothing.

One time my doctors office sent me something (I don't remember what) and included was a patients information that seemed critical. Test results or medicine requirements (again I don't remember).

Anyway...I called the office to let them know about what they sent me. After an eternity a lady answered the phone and insisted that I tell her which doctors nurse I wanted to talk to. I tried to explain, but she didn't want to hear it. I just finally hung up. Hopefully the person survived.