Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Inquirer wants me to hold vehicle while it is inspected.

muebermueber Member Posts: 1
edited June 2014 in General

I am finding that Craig’s List is populated with a lot of interesting people. One of those people wants me to schedule an inspection of my BMW 323Ci, which I am offering for sale. I have no problem with that. But she wants me to cancel an appointment to show it after work today once she has made the appointment at a local mechanic. That seems pretty rude to me, not to mention controlling. She is trying to schedule the appointment for tomorrow.
My inclination is to just let this one pass. What do you think?

Comments

• ray80ray80 Member Posts: 1,655

I'm thinking I would not cancel an appointment based on anothers wish, if THEY have a problem with it they can look elsewhere :)

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454

I lost a sale (and ~3 days) 30 years ago after agreeing to hold a VW for a potential buyer. She found something she liked better.

Recently I sort of upset a woman who agreed to buy my van sight unseen at asking price. She lived an hour away and had to borrow a small sum of money from her mom to swing it. I had another lookie-lou coming that afternoon, but I did agree to hold it for her for 90 minutes. She arrived and did the deal, but I don't think I would have accomodated a whole day. The other guy was indeed ready to buy it if she had not shown up. First one with the money (usually) gets it.

• isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    edited June 2014

In the business, we used to say " The car is either sold or it's not".

I would tell that woman that she can have it inspected if she so desires but in the meantime, if a buyer comes along, you will sell it.

That just might prompt her to forgo the inspection rather than taking a chance of losing the car.

Also, taking a car, especially a European car to a mechanic can often cause a sale to be lost. They will often nitpick the car to death and create a long laundry list of repairs that they think should be done.

Often the recommended repairs are either not needed or too trivial to bother with.

Then the buyer will either not buy the car or they will stick that list in your face in an attempt to get you to lower the price.

Yes, a lot of "interesting" people on CL both as buyers and sellers. A lot of scam artists and flakes as well. You have to ferret the serious from the strokes.

Good luck!

• isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    edited June 2014

I once lost a sale on a beautiful used Sienna over an outside inspection.

As hard as they tried, they couldn't find one thing wrong except they recommended new front brake calipers.

Why? One of the pads had 8 MM of material remaining and the other side had 8.5MM.

They considered this a problem and it wasn't.

Our shop refused to replace the calipers and the customer walked.

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481

No way. You are essentially being asked to take the car off the market, with every benefit to her and no benefit to you. First buyer with the money wins.

• cmhj2000cmhj2000 Member Posts: 381

First come first serve.