Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2014 Hyundai Sonata GLS. What constitutes a good lease deal

dd734dd734 Member Posts: 2
edited June 2014 in Hyundai

Looking at a 2014 Hyundai Sonata GLS in Northern Westchester County, N.Y. Dealers offer is $2,000 down and monthly lease of $189. I don't know what the cap cost is. The MSRP is $22,260. I am a veteran. No trade-in involved. I'd like to get that $189 down to like $149. Is it possible?

Thanks

Answers

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481

Well maybe you could get it down a bit--you could bargain on the MSRP and you could throw more money down (not recommended as a rule). What is the term of the lease, and what are the mileage limits? There may be longer leases and lower mileage limits available. (never lease more than 3 years, however).

If this was an advertised lease offer on the dealer's website or in the newspaper, chances are there's not going to be much room to negotiate, as this type of lease is generally already "subvented" (supported) by the factory.

You won't get very far trying to negotiate interest rate or residual, as these are set by the leasing company, not the dealer, but you can ask the dealer if he deals with any other leasing agencies that might offer a better deal.

NEVER tell the dealer the monthly payment you are trying to reach! Just say you want a lower monthly payment. Don't give him a stick to beat you with.

And don't let the dealer tell you that a lease is not negotiable. All leases are negotiable to some extent---unless the car is so much in demand that they don't have to negotiate.

• dd734dd734 Member Posts: 2

Thank you for your quick response. The term of the lease is 36 months and 12K miles per year.

Thanks again.