When do you stop repairing a vehicle and look for a new one...

mitchel4mitchel4 Member Posts: 3
edited June 2014 in Subaru

I have a 1999 Outback with 115k miles, the interior and exterior are perfect.

3 years ago we did a big $2500 preventative maintenance on it including the timing belt and related items.

I love my Subaru!

Well...it looks like the Head Gasket is going bad, the estimated cost is around $1500.

When do you say enough repairs and just buy a new car...don't get me wrong, I am not rich and prefer not buying a new car.

If I look at $1500 for all the maintenance (besides normal stuff) that I have had to do in 3+ years...that's pretty cheap...about 3 months of car payments.

What would you do?

Comments

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Sonoma, CaliforniaMember Posts: 64,482

Well you fell victim to a common fault with Subaru 2.5L engines. It's too bad that the mechanic working on your car 3 years ago didn't advise you to just go ahead and do the head gaskets, as long as he was in there with the timing belt.

Your head gasket value falls right on the predictable time frame 90K to 130K, like clockwork.

I think the vehicle is worth fixing if all else is well. Once you get the improved gaskets then that problem is probably gone forever.

• mitchel4mitchel4 Member Posts: 3

Yeah...hindsight is a real pain! :-)

Thank you for the info.

• isellhondasisellhondas Issaquah WashingtonMember Posts: 20,338

I totally agree with our Moderator.

Fix it and you should be good for another 100,000 miles.

• mitchel4mitchel4 Member Posts: 3
    edited June 2014

@isellhondas said:
    I totally agree with our Moderator.

Fix it and you should be good for another 100,000 miles.

Thank you...I think that is best thing to do.

I forgot to mention in 1-2 years I will be "getting" my father in-laws extremely well kept 2011 Toyota Highlander...he only keeps his vehicles for 5 or so years with mostly highway miles.

So another 100,000 miles will be perfect. And even in 1-2 years I may still keep the Subaru as a work vehicle for the Winter months. The wife would get the Toyota. LOL!

• dcm61dcm61 Member Posts: 1,567

Replace the timing belt, water pump, and front crank seal when you have the head gaskets done.