-July 2024 Special Lease Deals-

2024 Chevy Blazer EV lease from Bayway Auto Group Click here

2024 Jeep Grand Cherokee lease from Mark Dodge Click here

2025 Ram 1500 Factory Order Discounts from Mark Dodge Click here
Options

Has anyone converted a TR7 to a delco alternator?

dpwestlakedpwestlake Member Posts: 207
edited April 2014 in General
Has anybody changed to a delco alternator on a Triumph TR7? I've heard about it being done on a TR6. If anyone can post part numbers or suggestions I'd appreciate it.

Comments

• Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    What I think would be easiest is any type of American alternator that has the voltage regulator built right into it. Then it's only a matter of mounting it to the engine and lining up the pulleys. More of a plumbing job than anything else. Go to www.hemmings.com and look in their club listings. That might lead you to a BB where you could post a specific question like this. TR7s are not very popular on these boards and so I don't know that you'd get much response. But let's hope so!
  • Options
    carphotocarphoto Member Posts: 37
    There is an e-mail list just for TR7 and TR8. The Delco conversion is common and not difficult. However the Lucas alternator usually fails due to a burned out diode which can be replaced seperately for very little. When my Lucas alternator started to fail I found one on the net for like $50 without a core. I have an '80 TR7 Spider Edition with Bosch L-Jetronic FI. It's been as reliable as any Honda or Acura I've owned. E-mail me and I'll send you info on the TR7 mail list.

Cheers,
    Kurt Oblinger
    koblinger@linkline.com
  • Options
    dpwestlakedpwestlake Member Posts: 207
    The alternator itself is most likely fine. One of the mountings ia broken off.
This discussion has been closed.