Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Have you recently bought/leased a new car online and requested a home delivery due to coronavirus? A reporter would like to speak to you; please reach out to [email protected] by 4/2 for more details.
Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

Underbody plug grommets missing or should the holes be open? VW Cabrio.

kwazie7kwazie7 Posts: 1
edited July 2014 in Volkswagen

I have about 5 holes in the under body open near the front of the car. I have a 1999 VW cabrio GL convertible. What are these holes for? Do I need to plug them up or leave them open? I was thinking its a drain system for the convertible, however, I found the plugs online for sale. I included photos of the holes. There is a circle and an oval on both front left and front right corners. On the front left side, the 30mm circle has a cap but the oval doesn't. The front right is missing both circle and oval. Then a bit closer to the middle, there is a hole on the left and right side about 40mm big. There is almost like a rubber mat covering the hole from the inside. Should i plug these holes with grommets or leave them open? I included pictures.

Comments

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Sonoma, CaliforniaPosts: 64,490
    edited July 2014

You should have a plug for any body opening where water can intrude, such as going through a puddle. Actual "drains" for say the AC, the fresh air vents or a sunroof or convertible top, would be small tube like openings and you wouldn't plug those of course.