Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

No reverse on my 2000 Volvo V70 XC

ajljdavisajljdavis Member Posts: 2
edited July 2014 in Volvo

Having my beloved v70 XC SE towed to mechanic today. Suddenly reverse gear was non functioning. No choice. Assume it's time for gear box replacement (whatever that is). Only 133K miles on the vehicle and I LOVE this car. Is it worth the cost to fix transmission or should I just donate or try to sell the vehicle? What would be your guess re cost for repair at dealer or foreign car shop? Ballpark would be awesome. Other thoughts welcome.

Comments

• Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481

Tough call. It sounds like this is internal damage, and I'm not sure I'd risk a rebuild by some shop---it might be wiser to install a Volvo remanufactured unit, which won't be cheap. So in one sense the car is pretty much "totaled" by this expense (approximately it will cost the value of the car), but on the other hand, what equivalent can you buy for $5,000?

So "on paper" it makes no sense to fix it, but if it's an otherwise very clean, trouble-free car with no other major cosmetic or mechanical issues, it might make sense to have it repaired.

However, if there are other dubious components on the car, and if its cosmetically a bit shabby, I don't think I'd do it---you can buy these cars used and you might find a clean low mileage one.

• Options
    ajljdavisajljdavis Member Posts: 2

Why would I need to replace a transmission at 133K miles in a car that is known to go for 250 regularly? It's frustrating as hell. Do others experience this issue with this model. Do I have a "case" with Volvo? I'm a whiner I know but I love this car and know it's time to cut bait. Dang.