Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

1996 Toyota Avalon Advice

avalonman96avalonman96 Member Posts: 1
edited August 2014 in Toyota

Hi I am looking to buy a 1996 Toyota Avalon Xls. It is for sale for $1000. But it does have some problems, the CV boots need to be replaced and the leather seats for the driver and passenger seats need to be replaced. After all that is it still a good deal of a 1000 dollars it has no other problems and it has 186000 miles on it.

Comments

• djohnson1djohnson1 Member Posts: 54
    Cars are expensive and difficult to fix, so I always look for a one owner car that has been well maintained. It's cheaper to pay more for a better car than trying to fix a junker. Many times paying more for a cream puff is cheaper than trying to fix a junker unless you are a mechanic. Just imagine what else is wrong if they didn't even care enough to take care of the seats and axles. I wouldn't touch it.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    It's not a "$1,000 car". It's probably a $4000 car if you need 4 CV boots and upholstery work. You'd be better off spending more money and finding the cleanest nicest Avalon you can afford. And 186,000 miles is a lot of miles. The car is pretty much used up at that point and probably has quite a few other needs. A trashed interior suggests a neglected car.