Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Accord Quality Control Issues

1636465666769»

Comments

• patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Please don't make fun of new members who have not immediately grasped the very complex structure of our Forums. If you can't help out a new member, then you really need to just keep your comments to yourself. The kinds of posts that I'm just now finding here aren't on topic, won't move the discussion forward, and certainly are not creating a welcoming and helpful environment to new members. We are here to help and I hope you all will keep that in mind in the future.

Thanks.
  • terrypm1terrypm1 Member Posts: 79
    MEXICO CITY — Volkswagen AG said on Saturday, August 18, it avoided a strike at its Puebla assembly complex in Mexico after its union accepted a 4.35 percent wage and benefits hike plus another 111 pesos (about $10) per month in grocery vouchers.
    A company spokeswoman in Puebla told Automotive News the last-minute deal was completed at 5.30 a.m. local time after an all-night.
  • doug4321doug4321 Member Posts: 27
    Well said,Lets try to get along and cut the smart mouthed answers to members of the Forum,especially,show respect to the new members.I am one of those new members.
    Um, I'll try again - what experiences do you personally have with Honda quality control - positive or negative?
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    :) Wasn't intending to. I thought the servers had duplicated the post (I've seen it done to my own before).

No offense meant.
  • blaneblane Member Posts: 2,017
    Not a strange noise at all. Every recent Accord, since at least the 2003 model year, does an antilock brake self test with your first brake application. It's the barely perceptible brrrrrrp that you sense in the brake pedal.
    Personally, I've had nothing but an amazingly POSITIVE experience with my 2004 Accord Coupe. Absolutely nothing to mention other than a sunglass holder that was replaced under warranty several years ago when it used to open by itself.
    Again don't buy a car made in Mexico, it is not put to gether very well. I just bought a new Accord, on my first color choice the car was made in Mexico as stated on the window sticker, took it for a test drive and had a big time rattle in the dash board. The rattle increase in sound the rougher the road got. I told the salesman I did not want that car but he assured me he could send it back through their shop and get the rattle out. That was not a good sign to me on purchasing a 20K plus car, was afraid it would turn out to be a lemon. The second color choice car was made in Marysville OHIO. It rode like a dream and did not have any rattles or squeaks in it. For the last three weeks it has been a perfect car. Again based only on my PERSONAL experience do not buy a Mexican made car. It is full of rattles whereas the Marysville car is very tight.

Moderator I hope this is what you wanted to hear. Any comments now? :confuse:
  • elroy5elroy5 Member Posts: 3,735
    Personally, I would rather have an Accord made in the US, but to say all Mexican built cars are lemons, because of one rattle is pretty extreme. There are many people who say they will only buy an Accord built in Japan, but that is nonsense too, IMO. My 03 Accord was built in Ohio, and has been great. IMO, there are mistakes made during assembly, in any country.
    You cannot drive two cars and then declare that all cars made where car A was made are bad and all cars made where car B was made are good. You are reporting anecdotal evidence that proves nothing.

Are you saying the car you bought has rattles? Let's discuss. But let's not blame it on a country for heaven's sake. You have one car. You cannot reliably judge all cars made in Mexico, nor can you reliably judge all cars made in Marysville.
    The noise you hear could be the starter not disengaging like it is suppose to. Sounds like a dragging starter motor to me. Take it to a competent shop for a diagnosis.
    Moderator,

I live in the southern United States about 20 miles from where Nissan built a new manufacturing and assemble plant about 5 years ago. It was all in the papers where J D Power did customer surveys about Altimas and Titans that were made at the Canton plant vs their other assembly plants. All the Canton assembled cars were shown to have more problems than the other cars based on the surveys. There were numerous engineers from Japan dispatched to Canton to try to work on quality issues. Line speed was reduced and operations changed. Now after 5 years the cars have improved. The workers are now experienced, not fresh off the street and the cars are better.
    Correct me if I am wrong but Mexico is a new assemble plant for Honda and they are having to work through the same problems that Nissan had to with their Canton plant.
    Any new green worker has to acquire experience to be a better employee. Also the type of employee you hire effects your operation. Example you can not hire a career retail person and expect immediately them to thrive in a assembly line/ engineer setting. It takes time to acquire skills.
    I am not going to even address the average Mexican education and job experience, you can draw your own conclusions on that. Cheers
    terrypm1,

You said "Correct me if I am wrong but Mexico is a new assemble plant for Honda and they are having to work through the same problems that Nissan had to with their Canton plant." Well here goes, YOU ARE WRONG. Honda has been manufacturing Accords in Mexico since 1995, mostly for their domestic market.

Blanket statements about subjects of which you are not aware should be avoided. You surely cannot judge the quality of an entire product line from a single rattle that you may have heard in a single vehicle. Nonsense.
    Your posts are bordering on being racist and that is not acceptable in our Forums. You have made your opinions abundantly clear. Let's drop this line of conversation now and move on.

Thank you.
    jweston1, please check your email.
    You said "Correct me if I am wrong but Mexico is a new assemble plant for Honda and they are having to work through the same problems that Nissan had to with their Canton plant." Well here goes, YOU ARE WRONG. Honda has been manufacturing Accords in Mexico since 1995, mostly for their domestic market.

As stated Mexico is new to making cars for the United States. The NHTSA mandates all AMERICAN cars have certain safety features (airbags, doorbeam protection, lighting requirements, bumper requirements, pollution requirements).
    Mexico has a whole set of different standards that they require their cars to meet. NHTSA does not say just make the car to Mexican standards.
  • wise1wise1 Member Posts: 91
    Whether the car is built in mexico or not, all cars have imperfections. My Japan made 07 Accord has a few rattles too. I do hope you'll enjoy your car and be thankful yours doesn't have any rattles. Honda will work out the problems in time as a previous poster said. :blush:
  • accordmqaccordmq Member Posts: 25
    My made-in-Japan 04 Accord EX 4 cyl had a squeaking passenger side window when in hot weather, got it fixed at the dealer, and it came back after half a year. I gave up on it.
    Not to mention also the sunroof rattles, and dashboard rattles especially on the passenger side.

I hope the major components will hold up despite these nasty little annoyances.
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    The Accords made in Mexico are expected to meet the same quality standards as other Honda plants. That rattle you heard is a minor issue that could get out of any Honda plant as the vehicle is not test driven for miles the way you would test drive.

In reality, Honda Mexico has been supplying vehicles to the US market for at least 5 years.

As your your argument around building the NHTSA standards - it's a mute point. The assembly process is nothing more than putting parts together to a required quality standard. It has nothing to do with any additional expertise for US bound vehicles.
  • bhmr59bhmr59 Member Posts: 1,601
    I believe the law requires certain standards for all cars to be sold in the USA, regardless of country of manufacture.
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    Whenever anyone is ready!
    ...where we left off from the 1998-2002 Repair forum.

The Civic issue involves a TSB for a suspension issue causing the Civic to eat its rear tires. He drove lots of highway from Oklahoma to Alabama, and he went through two sets of tires in 58k miles. They fixed the problem but wouldn't help on the tires (he didn't expect them to pay full replacement, but was hoping for *something, on the order of 1/3 to 1/2 the cost of replaceing the tires on his EX sedan.* Our Hondas have typically gone 50k or so on a set.

To answer your question, isell. Ask your service department; it was common knowledge at our hometown Honda store.
    edited October 2010
    News to me and I used to be real chummy with the service guys.

A lot of those TSBS apply to "some" cars where the vast majority weren't affected.

In another forum people are complaining about AC compressors failing in CRV's. I asked our service and parts guys several times about this and they looked at me like I was nuts.

I gather you feel quality on the newer Hondas is slipping? From my vantage point I don't agree. Again, I recently retired and really don't care. Just stating my opinion, that's all.
    It's slipping in "the small stuff" that Honda used to take pride in excelling in. An example: Drove an Accord LX-P (I think) and was sad to see the hard plastic on the door panels (as opposed to the nice fabric/soft-touch vinyl that preceded it in decades past). This is the easily-scuffed stuff that is, well, scuffed up, in my dad's Civic.

The 2006 Accord was great inside, nice outside, but always left me with that "built at 4:30 on a Friday" feeling. It was still a lot of fun to drive; except for those loud concrete highways.
    2006 and 2007 Accords are identical and out LX-P has been flawless. I agree, like all Hondas it has too much road noise.

Honda isn't the only company that has taken some cost cutting steps. What bothrs one person (hard plastic) they hope won't bother the masses.

It's tough trying to hold prices down and be competitive at the same time.
    They are identical, but your LX-P isn't a 2007 model. They didn't make them then.

Honda isn't the only company to do it, but they are showing it most obviously. They're not successful in "holding down prices" either. The standard features on the Sonata in the Edmunds Long-Term fleet aren't even available on the Accord EX (25k). Honda's losing this battle as hard as they can, it seems.
    edited October 2010
    Well, I'm afraid they did make 2007 LX-P's. Ours is sitting in the garage.

I've never been a fan of Korean cars. Quite frankly, looking at the initial offerings I never thought they would survive in the U.S. market. Then along came Daewoo and they tried unsuccesfully, to elbow themselves into an already crowded market.

I watch the Korean makes go begging as used cars and no sale at the auction.. Resale remains hobbible on anything Korean.

Still, I know a lot of people aren't afraid of them. I know people who have bought them strictly because of the longer warranty. I'll admit, they have come a LONG way and if Honda and Toyota are content to rest on their laurels they could be in for much tougher competition than they expect.

As far as price, have you shopped Honda vs. Hyundai? They really aren't much less money and quite frankly, a lot of the exra features are items of little use or value to most shoppers.

I don't know that Honda is losing any battles but I do know they better be watching their backs.
    edited October 2010
    Well, I'm afraid they did make 2007 LX-P's.

No, they didn't. The previous generation (2003-2007) didn't come in LX-P. The sedan model offering was a VP, LX, LX-SE, EX, EX-L, SE-V6, EX-V6, & EX-L V6. You either have a 2007 of a different trim-level, or you have a 2008.

I've never been a fan of Korean cars. Quite frankly, looking at the initial offerings I never thought they would survive in the U.S. market.

Much like Honda in the 1970s; tiny rust-buckets. They quickly improved to best-in-class in the 1980s, and by the 1990s offered a competitive vehicle in many markets, including the emerging SUV/Crossover market.

As far as price, have you shopped Honda vs. Hyundai? They really aren't much less money and quite frankly, a lot of the exra features are items of little use or value to most shoppers.

Yes, I have. With all intended respect, I had no reason to maintain a Honda bias ike you did. I shopped both makes (as well as Ford's Fusion with Sync) and found features that are quite useful to me for less money. If we focus on new vehicles (to keep conversation focused), do you consider things such as bluetooth phones to be of little use? To allay your doubts, check out Ford's Sync success. For all ages, bluetooth capability is wonderful in communities where hands-free devices are the law. Just having the option of luxuries like satellite radio, a trip computer, integrated bluetooth, integrated iPod/USB audio, a 6-speed manually shiftable automatic (useful in hilly/mountainous communities to prevent riding brakes) is worthwhile. These are features that aren't available on the Accord LX and are actually standard on the most basic $19,195 Sonata GLS. An Accord which, by the way, starts at $1,985 more.

The Accord is a good car, but it isn't the shining standout that it once was. 2013 better be a knockout.
    You know, you're right. they called them LX-SE's and not LX-P's those years.

See what being retired for five months has done to my Honda memory?

Yes, those first Hondas were crude, primative rust buckets. Unlike ther early Korean offerings they held up mechanically quite well. They improved from that point. So did Subaru and the other Japanese makes. You would think the Koreans would have learned from that?

As far as Bluetooth, I'm not a big fan of talking on the phone while I'm driving but I do have a 40.00 Motorola earpiece that I sometimes bring along. It actually works quite well! I don't need a trip computer and I don't own in Ipod. I listen to a lot of talk radio and I have a huge collection of CD's that work well in my built in 6 disk changer. What is of great importance to some is of little value to others I suppose.

And, it's a Korean car that won't be worth much in five years as compared to a Honda or a Toyota. I suppose time could change that down the road?

For some people who trade often, resale value is a BIG deal.

Now, Ford...I have nothing but good to say about the great imporvements that have taken place in recent years. I am happy to say that they have made huge strides and I love the Flex and the Fusions. Yes, I would take a very serious look if I were in the market.

I agree with your last sentence. The market has changed and Honda better be on top of it.
    I don't need a trip computer and I don't own in Ipod. I listen to a lot of talk radio and I have a huge collection of CD's that work well in my built in 6 disk changer. What is of great importance to some is of little value to others I suppose.

Nobody "needs" bluetooth, a trip computer, an iPod connection, intermittent wipers, power seats, lighted steering wheel controls, etc... but to have them is awfully nice. They're luxuries, essentially, and I'm sure you'd agree with me. Luxuries to some are wasted money to others. As for me, I'm pretty OCD about my gas mileage (yes, I bought a V6 Sonata -- have fun with that, it's ok :blush: ) and enjoy having the trip computer, and seeing the distance to empty at a glance. Outside temperature I don't need; here in Birmingham it rarely freezes & I have a one-touch moonroof and power windows if I want to know what the temp is. :shades:

As far as the CDs go, instead of changing them out (say, 90 tracks or roughly 6 hours of music) I have 500 songs on a 4-GB thumb drive that doesn't come out of the console. I have an mP3 disc in the player with over 100 songs on it, but I typically use the thumb-drive; it cost me $12. A nice, surprising touch -- the iPod and mP3 hookups are lighted in my Sonata; handy since they are in the console out of the way, and would be hard to find in the dark!
    Maybe if I spent a lot of time in my car, those features would be of interest to me.

I'm the opposite from you on checking my gas mileage. Basically, I don't care. It's going to get what it get's and there is nothing I can do about it. I might check it once a year just for kicks.

Most of those items are available aftermarket and if I felt the need, I would have them installed.

The other day, I happened to park next to a new Sonata. I was impressed and reminded that Hyundai has certainly come a long way.
    Maybe if I spent a lot of time in my car, those features would be of interest to me.

Probably so: my daily round trip commute recently got shortened when I took a new job in March. It dropped from 72 miles to 52 a day -- a small victory! :shades: An hour and a half just commuting daily means I really learn what I like and don't like with my vehicles, because I spend more time in the driver's seat than in my favorite chair at home.
  • elroy5elroy5 Member Posts: 3,735
    Personally, I think phone use, while driving should be outlawed (Bluetooth or not). These distracted people always seem to be in front of me, and obviously can't concentrate on two things at once (few people can IMO). I am also completely content with FM radio, and my favorite morning show, and classic rock the rest of the day. I have an iPod, but very rarely use it (cutting grass, or other noisy jobs) For someone who was completely satisfied with the power or their I4 Accord, I am surprised you bought a V6 Sonata. If you see the mileage in a display, does your mileage get better? I think people have WAY too much to do inside their cars, besides driving, and it shows. I have always enjoyed driving, so I don't need anything distracting me from it.
  • marvin6marvin6 Member Posts: 72

There is much more to it than price. As a couple in our 50s (a BIG target of honda accord) I can tell you that in total honesty I believe the 2009 and 2010 sonata are better cars than their accord counterpart. Both in the 4 and 6 cyl models. Just our opinions, mind you. The 2011 sonata, I believe, is actually in a different class than the accord. I think it has left the accord in the dust in quality and available features. You get a whole lot more for less money! As you've stated, there are many features on a car that aren't "necessary". But necessary or not, many people use them. (I have about 200 channels of tv and probably watch less than 10 of them.) I use XM, my ipod and a thumb drive all the time. I have bluetooth capability, but have never driven while talking on the phone.
    I think honda has not only been caught, but surpassed by a number of companies. Although I don't own a hyundai, I would buy one before I would buy an accord. I would buy a fusion before I would buy an accord. Honda has relied on its history and has, in my opinion, failed to keep up with the market. I think if they don't make major strides in the next year's model that they will pay heavily for it.
    For someone who was completely satisfied with the power or their I4 Accord, I am surprised you bought a V6 Sonata.

Well, the slightly heavier Sonata (with admittedly softer throttle response) made the 2.4L Sonata feel a little poky.

If you see the mileage in a display, does your mileage get better?

Probably. I'm not one to lean on the throttle in every-day situations (my average MPG for my commute is 30-32 MPG in both my '96 2.2L Honda and the 3.3L Sonata), but having the 249 horses for passing maneuvers and climbing the lower Appalachains is a welcome luxury. The 2.4L Accord had plenty for all but the most aggressive passing maneuvers.

I am also completely content with FM radio, and my favorite morning show, and classic rock the rest of the day.

I listen to the radio at my desk; in my car I enjoy having my podcasts, music to listen to/sing with I'm practicing for various events, etc. I can sync it weekly with whatever's in my iTunes in 5 minutes, no discs necessary. It's not for everyone, but I enjoy it. :)

On an administrative note, I know there's really not a forum for this conversation (or not an active one which I've seen), so I've used this one for our original conversation (with isell), mainly because the thread was dead in the water anyway; I wasn't hijacking an active thread for my own agenda. ;)
    I can tell you that in total honesty I believe the 2009 and 2010 sonata are better cars than their accord counterpart.

Well, better for you, and better in some ways (available features, softer ride, quieter interior, better warranty, lower price) but not all. The Accord handles better and is more fun to drive, and in my opinion has the quicker-responding transmission (and I've now owned both). I like my Sonata. I liked my Accord. They both have strong points, and depending on your purpose, one will be better than the other.
  • hondaman1hondaman1 Member Posts: 6
    I am a Honda fan but I totally agree with those who have arrived at the conclusion that other competitors have caught up with Honda and even passed them in quality and features in some instances. I am in accord with the feeling that the Accord has been passed by the Sonata and the Fusion and possibly the new 2011 Kia Optima. I think that Honda has a lot of work to do to keep its position as a top quality manufacturer in not only its Honda line of cars, but Acura as well. The new and ugly Acura corporate grill needs to be abandoned. I dont know why they insist on keeping it, hardly anyone likes it. They need to seriously upgrade the RL and give it a 7 or 8 speed transmission, bring back the NSX (as its Halo/performance car) with All Wheel Drive, bring back the Vigor and the Cl, and make them competitive in engine power, braking performance, road-holding and features. Acura is currently not very competitive in the market and are being left behind. Infiniti, Lexus, Mercedes and BMW are making Acura look like a bad idea or the purveyors of lower class rental vehicles. Honda has a lot of work to do, and they need to do it quickly. I own 2 hondas and 1 Acura and a Honda lawn mower. I love their products but I think they have stalled in the market and ran out of ideas. I have started to look and BMWs and Infiniti models and will buy one of them if Honda doesnt make some improvements which bring them back to being competitive.
This discussion has been closed.