Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Mazda MX-5 Miata (2005 and earlier)

Comments

• Options
    WarpDriveWarpDrive Member Posts: 506
    jwilson, you've certainly given more than your share of wit and wisdom...
  • Options
    dgraves1dgraves1 Member Posts: 414
    You still will have a Miata in the family, right? I'd hate to see you Miata-less.
  • Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    C'mon, don't sell. Keep it as a weekend car!

-juice
  • Options
    badbrett79badbrett79 Member Posts: 29
    there exp on the older one im 21 and i've fallen for this little red honey only driven it omce a short distance, but it also has a hardtop included, it does need a new batterie but i guess thats around 60-70 bones,it has 98k on it, and seems to run well id be using every last cent i own on it so i wabt it to be reliable to, hes asking $7000 or best offer? is that good for 94. hes the 2nd owner and doenst really know alot about it, he says he doents think it leaks oil but not for sure, i guess i just want to basically know if the 94 miata is known to have any particular problems??? any segestions would be cool thanks, Brett
  • Options
    i want to get this tite little 94 and heard some peep. talkin bout cracked crankshafts, timing belt noise, and lifter hydralic noise? is the 94 good with 90k + i already in love, (more than i like my fiance))hehe!) i just have to wait for the ins company to settle on my recked car and the bank will finance the other 3000k, hes asking $7000 obo/ it could use a new battery and tires but its so cool...let me know whatcha think, later buddy miata folk.
  • Options
    Not sure about the other problems (don't remember hearing about them) but the crankshaft problem was solved in '92. No worries there. Go to miata.net - everything you ever wanted to know and more.
  • Options
    Brett: I think the price sounds a little high. Recently values have dipped, maybe because of the cold weather. 98k miles is a lot on any vehicle. I'd shop around - my bet is you can save a bit if you do.

The battery is $80, so no big deal.

The '94s are a good model year. They have the bigger, 1.8l engine for extra torque, but they were before the on board diagnostic baby-sitter came into play. I think it was also the last year with a working oil pressure gauge. To a lot of folks, it's the most sought after year.

Try to bargain him down $500 or so. Check for rust, accident damage, peeling paint, and then see if it operates smoothly. If so, go for it.

-juice
  • Options
    ace10ace10 Member Posts: 137
    were a good year for the miata. larger engine, upgraded brakes and chassis stiffened throughout. and yes, it was the last year of the working oil pressure gauge.

bring the vehicle to a GOOD mechanic. have them do a full inspection. shouldn't be more than 1.0 or 1.5 hours of shop labor. a good investment. take the thing out and drive it. make sure that you will be comfortable in it!!!! drive it for a couple of hours, it's a small car with vey little trunk.

as to value. the hardtop is worth $700 to $800. so consider that. the miles are pretty high, as compared to the average '94 miata, not the average '94 automobile. you don't mention the equipment on it. is it a base, a package, b package??? what's it got for options? i would guess the fair value, given that we are getting the Spring time, is probably in the $6,500 range, if the mechanicals check out and it at least has a radio and a/c.

the tires are going to set you back $300 to $400 so count on that, and the battery from westco is $79. be sure to check the condition of the softop. it is being covered over by the hardtop. remove the hardtop and raise and lower the convertible. this is important, b/c the softop is a big expense if it needs replacement!!!!

biggest thing in my opinion is checking for accident repair. miata's are VERY sensitive to alignment/chassis problems. if the frame isn't perfect, the ride will suffer big time!

oh yea, go to miata.net for everything you could want or need.

good luck, it is a great little car.

ace
  • Options
    dfneubertdfneubert Member Posts: 1
    I have owned my 91 Miata for just over a year, and it just came out of an independent mechanics shop with the anti-theft feature activated on the stereo. He had disconnected the battery for a couple of days, I guess any power interruption sets off the anti-theft mode. I called the prior owner, who had owned the car for 8 years, but she had no idea that feature even existed, so she was no help with getting the code to unlock the system. So am I stuck with having to go to a Mazda dealer to get this fixed, or does someone know how to reset the system without paying an arm and leg to a dealer?
  • Options
    sebargesebarge Member Posts: 50
    Hi,

We bought a used red '94 (back in '99). It had 100k on it - very high mileage - but it was in superb condition. And, we got it for $5k, which made the high mileage seem less significant. We did have a mechanic check it out, & it passed with flying colors. So far, we haven't had problems with it, and it is still going strong. We expect it to last a long time.

If your red Miata is in good condition and the mechanic checks it out "OK", then I wouldn't be afraid of the mileage. I would try to get it for less, though, as the price is a little high.

Check out our Miata here to learn all about it:

http://convertiblencats.homestead.com
  • Options
    davidb72davidb72 Member Posts: 174
    I think there is a section on the radio code at
    www.miata.net
  • Options
    agent to get my money. i still wanna get this little red baby, i noticed i was looking at a consumer report book at used cars it gives mazda 94 engine worse than average rating, i dont mind doing maintnance but i dont wanna have a blown engine or something, should i be concerned, and what do they consider average, what are they comparing it to???i also noticed the miata had the better ratig than all other mazdas, is this the best car they make for 94?and the seller is willing to sell it for 6000g now, he broke the back window out of thr hardtop!!!he said i can have the hardtop, if i want to get it fixed later,,i really love this car but i just dont wanna have any major probs with it. please help!!
  • Options
    is there a way to turn off the pass side airbag in the 94 i will acasinally have to have a rearward facig carseat in it and since it doenst have a back seat,!!! i dont want another daddy mobile this little miata is screeming my name , i sware it is. all i can do is "picture me rollin" with da top dropped, in the summer time sun. thanks for your help i went to the miata website and that just makes me want it more, and more, i saw a green one today with a tan top it was real pretty lookin, the grenn and tan look classsy...in the 2 weeks i've been lookin i havent found another one for sale, so i dont want to lt this one go,, i call and check on it everyday luckilt the guy sellin it is never home to show it, hes driving his mercedes on business stuff....i'll keep u updates, later folk , and thanks
  • Options
    Go here for all you want to know about disabling airbags:

http://www.miata.net/faq/faq3.html#Z
  • Options
    I would not worry about the engine. The 94s are great. Are you sure about CR? In the 2001 buyer's guide, from 1993 and on there was not a single score below average. My '93 actually outscores many NEW cars.

The 93s and earlier have only one airbag, but the above link shows how to disable them anyway.

-juice
  • Options
    scouse1scouse1 Member Posts: 2
    Pricing 1996.
    Have my eye on 1996 with 5900 miles, repeat 5900 miles. The guy uses it for 4 months when visiting Florida. Detect some vibration in third and i am also worried about the car being in storage for long periods. Can buy for $10,000, any input appreciated.
  • Options
    Check the pedals, any wear? If so, he may have rolled the odometer back.

Give is a close look-see. I'd run a compression test on the cylinders, looking for no more than 10% variation.

I wonder if the long term storage could harm the piston rings' seal.

-juice
  • Options
    What equipment does it have? For a C package or M edition that would be a really great deal ,if it's a base/stripper, maybe not.

The big concern about longer-term storage is "was it done correctly each time?" Check out www.miata.net for a complete list of what should have been done.

5900 is extremely low miles. You need to be more specific about the vibration. Was it speed dependent or rpm? Are you sure that it was only in third gear? Miatas are very prone to vibration, but generally not originating from the drivetrain. Are the tires original? If so, they could have been damaged from the storage. The sidewalls can harden-up. It is best to store the vehicle on jackstands. Most of the vibration in miatas is attributed to the tires/wheels.

ace
  • Options
    scouse1scouse1 Member Posts: 2
    Base car with A/C and power steering but it is immaculate. Felt vibration from gear stick and it seemed worse when going through third, so to answer your question it was speed dependant. The guy stored it in private garage and went back to Germany each year, I asked if anybody started the car on regular basis and he said no. Read on one posting about engine rusting and seals cracking under storage conditions?
  • Options
    have you driven other miatas? You may be accustomed to a more refined (isolated) feel from the gearshift. I'm not suggesting that there may not be something wrong with the car, but the miata is a very tactile experience. I suggest you check out another moderate mileage circa '94 to '97 miata.

as to a base '96 for $10K... that might be a little high. my opinion, is that there are tons of low and very low mileage miatas out there. i think that the used car calculators add too much value for low miles for a car like these. yea, it's nice to have a pristine auto, but the lack of use can have it's drawbacks. the tires must be bad by now. either dryrotted or hardened sidewalls. possible corrosion inside the engine. battery has to be questionable. if it has been replaced be sure that it is not a "wet-cel" type. a '96 with 6K miles isn't going to be any less likely to have problems that a '96 with 25K miles. they are both out of warranty and the one with 25K has a least some time to get the "bugs" shaken out of it.

i don't know, sounds like low $9's is more like it, if the mechanicals check out.

ace
  • Options
    gregorykigregoryki Member Posts: 1
    A Unocal down the street sells 100 octane "racing" gasoline for more than $4.00 a gallon. Would 100 octane damage a 2000 Miata with 18K miles, and would it make any noticeable difference in performance? I recognize it will make a noticeable difference in my wallet.
  • Options
    crashton6crashton6 Member Posts: 245
    badbrett 79: I won't kill you. Go to http://www.airbagoptions.com They will install a switch or sell you the kit. PLEASE install the switch before you carry a child in your car!!!

Chuck

• Options
    jq3jq3 Member Posts: 52
    Miata w/ 96K on the odo. It is laguna blue and though it has alot of miles it seemed mechanically sound. The paint is still glossy considering it's age and miles. The interior is almost too clean! The top looks fairly new because the plastic window is still clear. There doesn't appear to be any exterior damages from an accident. I got it for $6700...how does that sound?

My wife and I drove it and we both were surprised at how clean it was. It will be our third car( fun car), we both have trucks, wife a SUV and myself a truck. So we're both thrilled!!

I didn't have a mechanic look at it, Saturday afternoon, I hope I won't regret this move. I have never purchased a used car this old and with this many miles! I've had a total of 6 cars all new, except for 2 and they both were 2 yr. old with less than 23K miles. But, hopefully it will run as good as it looks.

See Ya!!
  • Options
    jq3jq3 Member Posts: 52
    has PW, A/C,Pwr side mirrors, pwr ant., 5 sp, & am/fm/ cass

See Ya...again!
  • Options
    oldbaldyoldbaldy Member Posts: 1
    If you wish to unlock your Miata radio, go to www.miata.net, and follow the links to the Garage section. The full procedure for unlocking is listed there (or by a link) and the special code number required. It is really very simple to do. I know, because I have had to use it twice myself, once on my first Miata and also on my current one. This procedure only works on the OEM Panasonic manufactured factory stereo in the Mark 1 Miatas.

Good luck,

Stuart
  • Options
    Joseph: you are going to love your Miata. I think you'll find the handling on quite another level compared to what you are used to.

What services were already done? At 96k, all the routine maintenance should have been done by now - so if there are not receipts or some other proof, I'd do a full service so that you have a baseline.

Do a 60k or 90k service (oil and filter, fuel filter, 02 sensor, PCV valve, diffy oil, trans oil, air filter, alignment, rotate tires, spark plug and plug wires, etc) and you won't regret it.

Gregory: I doubt high octane could ever harm your engine, but that really seems like overkill. 87 octane is recommended, so 93 octane is more than enough, even for autocross.

-juice

Edit: PS I'd do the timing and accessory belts, and at least inspect the cooling system hoses, plus flush the coolant
  • Options
    jmochel1jmochel1 Member Posts: 8
    I'm considering trading in my motorcycle for a small sportscar. Since I'm not that mechanical, I'm leaning toward the Miata over an MG or Triumph.

If I buy the car as a toy, I'm going to look for an older one ('90 - '95) to keep the price low. Any years better than others?

I'm also thinking about buying a new one and using it as my primary car. We still have a van and a Buick Skylark at home. I drive about 20,000 miles a year, most of it commuting (about 25 miles ea. way). I'm in the Chicago area so I'll have to deal with winter cold, snow and ice.

Am I nuts to have one as my main car or should I just get one as a toy?

- Jim
  • Options
    MarkinAtlantaMarkinAtlanta Member Posts: 194
    The Miata.net folks seem to think 1994 is the most desirable year. Larger brakes, larger engine, last year before OBD added (upgrades simpler). For 1995, they deleted the oil pressure gauge.

1st go here and choose the year:

http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/5361/

This is good too:

http://miata.net/faq/usedmx5.html/

And of course the all important FAQs:

http://www.miata.net/faq/

As far as the winter driving is concerned, shoot, don't ask me, I think Georgia gets too cold.

Good luck.

• Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Miatas are great as primary cars as long as you don't need to carry anything...trunk space is very limited and interior space for storage practically non-existant. As my friend says "room enough for a cat and a cantaloupe". Certainly more reliable and civilized than an MG or Triumph, however. If you must go British, choose the MGB over any other older British sports car.
  • Options
    Jim: mine is a 3rd car, a toy if you will, and I think it's an excellent setup. I have a spare car if any of them need to go to the shop, or if someone is visiting from out of town, etc.

I also came from motorcycles, though a while ago, and you'll still find the Miata quite fun.

'90-'93 have the 1.6l engine and one air bag, but they are light and fuel efficient. '94 got the 1.8l engine with the 2nd air bag, bigger brakes, and some extra chassis bracing. '99 got the new headlights.

I actually didn't want a 2nd air bag, so kids could ride up front, so '93 was the year for me. I think the air bag disable switch appeared in '99, though the others can be converted.

It's a good time to buy. The cold weather has brought values down, at least near me. Shop around since they are plentiful.

-juice
  • Options
    landscaperjoelandscaperjoe Member Posts: 15
    New to this discussion and I need opinons.I can get a new 2000 special edition for $ 24,300 out the door. A new 2000 ls for $22,300. Or a new 2001 ls for $23600. Do you think the more horses, 16", bigger brakes are worth the difference or does the uniqueness of a special edition of set that? Trying to make up my mind.
  • Options
    Only you can decide, really.

Which one fits your personality? Did you like the ride/handling with the bigger wheels? Could you feel the extra power? Do you want the 6 speed?

Ignore the dollar amounts and pick the one that spoke to you.

-juice
  • Options
    cpearson1cpearson1 Member Posts: 30
    I have driven mine all winter in Detroit. Buy four good snow tires (I have Blizzaks) and you won't have any problems.
  • Options
    "Miatas are great as primary cars as long as you don't need to carry anything...trunk space is very limited"
    They don't have as much space as an Expedition but you can fit two standard airline carry-on bags in the trunk, plenty for a weekend trip.
  • Options
    I think it shows how great of a car it is otherwise when people drive it year round.

IMO, you have to be in that mindset. This car is about fun, not practicality. If you can get past the relatively stiff ride, road noise, and cold, then great. It's for you. But don't overlook those, otherwise you'll be back in 6 months with a for sale sign.

If it's a 3rd car, you'll never even have to consider that fate!

-juice
  • Options
    juice---take the slave out now and rebuild it, You have a problem ready to happen again.
  • Options
    <<If you can get past the relatively stiff ride, road noise, and cold, then great>>
    What is cold about the Miata? It has a great heater, effective thermostat, and warms up quickly.
  • Options
    cpearson - What are you one of those guys who puts his roof up in the winter? :)
  • Options
    In 40 degrees or warmer, my top is always down. In fact, when it's colder I usually drive my Subaru anyway.

Top down motoring is the whole point of a roadster. Even with the (very) effective heater, it still gets cold below 60 or so.

I did get a nice cap, all I need now are the right driving gloves. Any suggestions? The local leather retailers are out of stock, perhaps because it's warming up.

-juice
  • Options
    A Special Edition isn't all that unique really. There are gazillions of them, it's just a marketing thing, and the features they offer aren't any big deal for a Miata. I'd buy new and go for HP and brakes in this case. This is what a sports car is about. And you don't need 6 speeds in a Miata I don't think.
  • Options
    freddy_kfreddy_k Member Posts: 376
    Sure you don't need it, but for those of us who love to shift that extra gear can only be a good thing!
  • Options
    The 5 speed does rev a bit high on the highway. I don't drive there much, though.

-juice
  • Options
    The 6 speed weighs 155 lbs more than the 5 speed, that is a consideration too.
  • Options
    playathug21playathug21 Member Posts: 20
    its just 50 pounds
  • Options
    14th paragraph

http://www.edmunds.com/roadtests/firstdrive/2001/mazda/miata/43962/index.html

"Oh yeah, did we mention that the LS also has the option for a six-speed gearbox? Although we think that it needs more overdrive in order to keep the revs and NVH down (it still revved at 3,500 doing 70 on the highway) and adds a hefty 155 pounds to the welterweight, it will behave in a more couth manner while rolling on the highway than the standard five-speed"

• Options
    never, ever, in my five or six years of miata ownership have i wished than the tranny was more flexible. five speeds is absolutely fine. the ratios are well matched to the power curves of the engine. plus, the 5 speed is bulletproof, with the possible exception of some of the early vintage ones.

more power, sure, i'll take more power any day of the week, but more gear ratios, probably not.

ace
  • Options
    WarpDriveWarpDrive Member Posts: 506
    This has been discussed before. 155 lbs is probably the weight of the whole gearbox!
  • Options
    freddy_kfreddy_k Member Posts: 376
    I think people are mistaken and I noticed that edmunds is misleadig too. Most of the weight increase between the 00 and 01 Miata is due to an improvement in torsional rigidity. The six speed gearbox may be heavier, but nowhere near 150 lbs.
  • Options
    dantipdantip Member Posts: 1
    I bought a 1990 Miata in July of 1989 and drove it for three wonderful years. I have been considering buying another but, thanks to a head-on collision a few years ago, I can no longer lift my foot off the floor to operate the clutch and I don't want an automatic. I've considered attaching something to the foot rest to raise my foot so I can heel and toe the clutch, since I can raise the front of my foot when my heel is resting. Any thoughts or recommendations?
  • Options
    lateralglateralg Member Posts: 929
    The BW T56 transmission, used in Corvette, Viper, Camaro & Firebird weighs 115#. Certainly, the Miata 6-speed weighs far less than that. Therefore, the 5-speed must have negative weight.

The original Edmunds article that reported the 150# 6-speed penalty also stated that the 2001 Miata achieved near 50-50 weight distribution (improvement vs the 2000 model) by moving the battery to the trunk. (Where it has been since 1989)

If Edmunds wants their automotive reporting to be taken seriously, I think they have to become more factual in their reporting. Also, less biased toward European sedans.