Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Toyota Tacoma Xtracab V6

summerprojectsummerproject Member Posts: 20
edited March 2014 in Toyota
Anyone have any idea about when/if Toyota will be running any national incentives or rebates on the pick up line? last month, before I was ready to buy,they had a $500 cash back in Vermont(just across the border from me), but June doesn't seem to be a good month to buy.
The "Toyota Summer sellathon" must be coming up soon. When do the 2002s hit the dealers? July or August?

Comments

• Options
    debbie31debbie31 Member Posts: 4
    I think the 2001's come out in August. The dealers in my area(Austin TX) rarely have a "large" number of Prerunners in their lots. They say something about "hard to keep". I don't know what the truth of the mattter is though...On Edmund's web site there is a way to look up current incentives around the US.
  • Options
    PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    If you go to the listing for any new vehicle on Edmunds, for example, the Tacoma:

http://www.edmunds.com/new/toyota/index.html#tacoma

...pick the specific model you're interested in and on the Prices tab you'll see a link for Incentives and Rebates.

PF Flyer

Host

Pickups & News & Views Message Boards

• Options
    Thanks debbie31 and PF Flyer.
    I have been watching the Edmunds listing of rebates and incentives for a month or so for the Tacoma, it is a great resource. I have been trying find out what rebates may be in the future, but I have discovered that these rebate offers don't seem to get leaked until the day they go into effect. July 3rd I think the new promos start..I guess we will see then.
    Thanks again
  • Options
    Anyone famailiar with these "little" added fees.
    Last time I bought a new Toyota was a 1988 4x4 and I can't remember if these were part of the deal back then or not.

In pricing the 2001 Tacoma V6 Extra cab:
    The advertising fee (TDAA),I have been told by dealers, is 3% in NY and 2.5% in MA. This sounds like way too much to me.

$85-$198 Documentation fee. Are they nuts? The way I look at it is filling out papper work is part of the work that entitles them to earn their commission.
    Has anyone had any luck with getting the dealers to drop these fees or are they something that must be dealt with.
    Most dealers seem to be around 2% over invoice(before these little add ons)
    The Truck I want is at another dealer so they may try to charge for that as well.

I recently bought a new ford from a dealer and made them rewrite the contract the day I came to finalize the deal because they added an $80 advertising fee to the deal. They removed the $80 fee, otherwise I was not going to take the car.
  • Options
    I called Toyota customer service and they said said the TDA was "negotiable" and not all dealers charge this fee. I did a search for TDA and Toyota and It showed a class action suit in 1997 against Toyota dealers for charging the TDA(Toyota Dealer Assoc.) fee to customers, showing the customer it was part of the dealers cost on the invoice. It turns out, at that time, the dealers were NOT being charged for TDA.
    Maybe today it is a legit charge, but the way it is presented is questionable.
  • Options
    I checked the edmunds rebate listings and found that there is $250 dealer cash for the Tacoma until July 9th. It wasn't listed last time I checked and it has been in affect since June. I am hoping for a bigger customer rebate for this week, when the new promotions start.
  • Options
    nberrynberry Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone installed a lift kit in your *ignore* Xtra cab V6? If so, what is a good brand/manufacturer and where did you buy it from?

Thanks
  • Options
    debydeby Member Posts: 3
    Does anyone know if the engines in Tacomas and the Camrys are the same engine?
  • Options
    tundradudetundradude Member Posts: 588
    Camry has a 3 liter and the Tacoma has a 3.4 liter. They are also built from different structures meaning the 3.4 is a truck engine because of the torque it produces. The Camry makes more hp but the Tacoma makes more torque.
  • Options
    ebbgreatdaneebbgreatdane Member Posts: 278
    yep...

Totally different power plants. One for speed, one for hauling.

The 3.4 was a new design specifically for the Tacoma when it was introduced in 1995 although it has been introduced into other vehicles such as the Tundra (for base models), the new Highlander, and the 4 Runner.

Cheers,
    John
  • Options
    salamander3salamander3 Member Posts: 8
    I can't find this information anywhere and I don't know another tacoma owner personally, so anyone's help would greatly be appreciated.
    Basically, I don't have a tachometer, and I'm looking for engine RPM at these given speeds:

20 MPH
    45 MPH
    60 MPH
    70 MPH
    80 MPH

If anyone would be willing to take note of their tachs when they're driving around and get back to me on these, I would be greatly appreciative. Thanks.
  • Options
    juanejuane Member Posts: 11
    for those of you that own the tacoma prerunner V6 how satisfied with the vehilce have you beenand what is the repair history like? Have you had any major problems to report? Reliable?
  • Options
    This probably isn't the answer you're looking for but I now own a 2001 4X4 V6 Xtra Cab Taco.

The only problems so far was a vibration in the driver door panel (dealer fixed), and a plastic trim cap that covers the driver's side seat glider bar was sheared off when someone getting out of the back kicked it (Dealer replaced).

4200 miles an that's it so far. The V6 is great but you should really test drive before you buy as I found the seats have taken me a month or so to get used to.

Cheers,
    John
  • Options
    jshimonjshimon Member Posts: 7
    I posted this msg on the tacoma problem discussion too...I found a '95 tacoma Xtd cab, V6, 4x4...it is great except for one thing...when I test drove the truck, I turned the wheel hard and heard a loud clicking/grinding noise come from my front tires. (u joints?) Is this normal? It doesn't happen in a normal turn, just when I yank on it...good or bad?
    Thanks for your suggestions!
  • Options
    That just doesn't sound good. It could be something as simple as custom tires rubbing on the fender walls (not a big deal) or bad CV boots (some bucks to change) or something like a much needed lube job on the joints (chump change) or a bad steering pump or powersteering belt.

My suggestion. Keep looking. A test drive is just that...a test drive. If I find something I like that I call the owner on it before I buy it and if I don't like the answer, I walk away. Actually any strange noises are usually what I take a test drive for. It can point to faulty repairs, prior accidents or mechanical problems.

Good Luck,
    John
  • Options
    jshimonjshimon Member Posts: 7
    Thanks for the info. John...the owner really has no clue about trucks. I was going to run a carfax report on it since I have the VIN. The owner said I could take it to a mechanic if I wanted to...I think I will take him up on that!
    Thanks again for the advice!
  • Options
    beantacobeantaco Member Posts: 12
    still looking for any info on any changes for 2002 tacomas before I buy...anyone?
  • Options
    Stellar...
  • Options
    Ya know... I've been wondering the same thing myself and can find nothing! Toyota is doing a very good job of obscuring what they are up to but what I do know is this....

2001 represented an investment for Toyota in the freshening of the Taco's look and feel including the interior design, exterior design and some bucks spent on designing the new Double Cab model. Look for major improvments in the 2003 model but I doubt we'll see much of anything for 2002. I could be wrong but that's where my bets are.

John
  • Options
    mcfarlajmcfarlaj Member Posts: 1
    I have a 93 X-Cab with the same clicking on sharp turns. It has been that way since 94 and with over 132,000 miles on it, it still hasn't been a problem. I've known several people with 91-95 Toyotas and almost all of them have that clicking. I know it scares the hek out of ya to hear it but it usually isn't a problem. A second opinion from a reputable mechanic still is a good idea.
  • Options
    beantacobeantaco Member Posts: 12
    Thanks for the response...still can not find anything,,I going to presume there is nothing new and buy when I am ready. thanks again
  • Options
    eagle63eagle63 Member Posts: 599
    Has toyota improved the quality and comfort of the seats in the taco since the '99 models? I was reading Edmunds' review of the '99 tacoma Xtracab and they railed on and on about how awful the seats were. thanks!
  • Options
    2k1trd2k1trd Member Posts: 301
    Why yes they have!....the 01 tacoma's interior has been re-designed.
  • Options
    human_guisehuman_guise Member Posts: 14
    I've pretty much settled on exactly WHAT options I want on my new PreRunner, thanks to this site. I have already joined a local credit union, who has connections with every Toyota fleet manager in the Bay Area. My question is, how is the price set? Can I just go to my union with the Edmund's TMV quote and tell them "This is what I'll pay, no more," or is the priced fixed between the union's auto-loan agent and the dealers, allowing the buyer/member no bargaining room? This is all going to occur by Labor Day (hopefully there will be some incentives at that time!) Thanks for any advice you can give, I look forward to being the owner of a new Toyota truck!
  • Options
    jerry85jerry85 Member Posts: 2
    I'm looking to buy a new 2001 Tacoma XtraCab V6 in Houston, TX. Just went to a local dealer and found one I really like. I wrote down all the options and marked prices from the sticker. Then I went to Edmunds TMV page, just to find about a half of the options that I wrote are missing -- B0, ET, DG, S1, WL, SB, BL. I was able to find the invoice + MSRP for all of them from Yahoo. But don't know how to find the TMVs for them. Is the database used by Edmunds not complete??
  • Options
    dakar232dakar232 Member Posts: 12
    I found the following site to be very helpful with regards to car puchasing information. www.carbuyingtips.com. This is a very informative site that will give you more information and links to pricing, warranties, reviews, financing, etc... I have been researching truck since November of last year and have finally decided on a Tacoma double cab. You will find the information you are looking for at this site.
  • Options
    jrlawrence3jrlawrence3 Member Posts: 2
    I recently bought a 2001 Tacoma Extracab 4x4 5spd V6. Am not happy... No Power. Terrible clunk shifting from 1st to 2nd. Drive train sloppy when lifting foot from accelerator at 40-45 mph. Noisy transmission. Engine sounds like thrashing machine at idle.
    Dealer says nothing is wrong!!
  • Options
    Not sure if you're still looking back but the seats still continue to be one of the downers with the Tacoma. My 01 Xtree cab is... OK. That is to say I've gotten used to the fact that it's a truck not a Lexus.

John
  • Options
    Hopefully you'll get this before you buy but the TMV from Edmunds is basically they're calculation for what the trucks are selling for in today's market. It is not something the Dealer will recognize if you tell them, "Well Edmunds TMV is..."

My suggestion. Keep the TMV number in your back pocket and in your head. If you get close to that number in your purchase you've done your work. If you're buying close to the MSRP, honestly you're doing something wrong. Toyota has too much competition from domestic makers and their lower prices and if you paid close to MSRP, you've been taken for a ride.

Now, don't forget that everything is negotiable and just when you think you got a really good deal on the truck, they will stick it too you with the financing. The key with financing... get the lowest rate you can and don't be afraid to call dealers and other lenders to see what kinda rate they would give you. SHOP AROUND!!!
  • Options
    Here's what I found partly on Edmunds, partly on http://www.toyotaofirving.com/2001_tacoma_pricing.htm.

Most are what are called Port installed options which are installed at the Port which is done mostly for the gulf states.:

WL = Wheel Locks

BL = Bed Liner

B0 = The Extra Mile Option Pkg.b

Permavin/glass Etch& Ltd warranty

Custom Pin stripe

body side moulding black

spare tire lock

floor mats

3 yr., 36,000 mile roadside assistance and rental car

ET = Truck bed extender

S1 = Securikey plus (I assume keyless entry)

SB = Chrome tube step bars.

• Options
    I don't know what lemon you got but I wouldn't trade my Taco for all the Rangers in CA.

I hope you've gone back to complain with the Toy rep at a local dealer. If they don't settle you up, investigate with the Better Business Bureau. Also, when dealing with the BBB, don't bother calling them. You'll never get through or they will never call you back. Go to their website and fill out the online form OR fax them at the contact number listed OR write to them. If you follow one of those 3 avenues, you'll have a response from them within 3 days and the dealer will be calling you shortly after that to, "...do whatever it takes to make you happy..."

I hate dealers,
    John
  • Options
    jerry85jerry85 Member Posts: 2
    I would contact Toyota directly. I think Toyota cares about customer satisfaction more than any local dealer does. when I bought my Sienna last year, we noticed that the door guard on the passenger side actually messed up the sensor for the power sliding door which misfunctioned quite a few times. I logged onto Toyota's website and sent a request, raising my concern on the safety issue caused by the door guard. Later, Toyota contacted my dealer, whom removed the door guards and refunded me for this option. I was very happy with the way Toyota and the dealer handled my request.

Jerry
  • Options
    Sound advice as well.

John
  • Options
    georgeb6georgeb6 Member Posts: 6
    General information from Motor Trend

The rugged Tacoma also offers better value for 2002. Anti-lock brakes, a $590 option in 2001, is reduced nearly 50 percent in price, to $300 in 2002. Tacoma 4x2 prices will begin at $11,900 for a Regular Cab with five-speed manual transmission, and $15,260 for an Xtracab with automatic transmission. MSRP for the performance-focused S-Runner is $18,060. MSRP for the popular PreRunner will start at $13,890 for a Regular Cab with a four-cylinder engine, while the Xtracab with a V-6 engine will be priced at $18,340. MSRPs for the Tacoma 4x4 range from $16,310 for a Regular Cab with a four-cylinder engine and five-speed manual transmission, to $20,420 for an Xtracab V-6 with automatic transmission. Tacoma Double Cab will carry an MSRP of $18,110 for a PreRunner model, while the 4x4 Double Cab with a V-6 engine will receive an MSRP of $22,120. Overall, Tacoma prices increase by $102 for 2002.
  • Options
    Can't wait to see the specs although it sounds a lot like I thought it would be. No real changes to the trucks...just the pricing structures and financing rates.
  • Options
    Would love to here some opinions out there. The super charger is on my mind lately and I am seriously considering it.

But I want to justify it. Is it worth it?

John
  • Options
    poondoggerpoondogger Member Posts: 14
    Okay, I'm debating between two contestants.

Your advice and comments would be much appreciated.

In the first corner:

Coming up used @ Livermore Honda...

The 2000 Toyota Tacoma Prerunner

Color: Black

Tranny: Auto

Engine: 3.4 V6

Warranty: Yes...Factory, so it's 3 year 36,000, but it has like 35,250 miles on it.--so essentially no, it won't have a warranty soon

Asking Price: 18,900

Options/Features: TRD Off-Road Pkg, Air Conditioning, Power Steering,

Power Windows, Power Door Locks, Tilt Wheel, Cruise Control, AM/FM

Stereo, Cassette, Compact Disc, Dual Air Bags, ABS (4-Wheel), Sliding

Rear Window, Custom Bumper, Alloy Wheels, Ovrsize Off-Rd Tires -

Essentially the basics, with SR5 and TRD packages. The Cool thing about it though, is it is raised a small amount and the previous owner took really good care of it. He added Dual Exhaust to it and the interior looks new. Drives alright, what you might expect from a truck that is raised and has oversized tires.

http://us.f1.yahoofs.com/class/8058e2dd7802/8058e2dd7802219ca0ab082a86ba4332.jpg?cf_L5gyCVVXbZmV_

That's a picture of contestant one.

In Corner #2:

Coming to us used from Freeman Toyota

The 1998 Toyota Tacoma 4x4

Color: Black

Tranny: Auto

Engine: 3.4 v6

Warranty: Yes, it is Toyota certified used. Mileage is at 48,019...Therefore it has a 6 year 100k warranty

Asking Price: $18,795

Options/Features:

Pwr Steering..A/C..Cruise..Tilt..AMFM

Tape..CD Player..Cust. Wheels..OverSize

Tires..Cust. Bumper..Sliding Window..Tow

Pkg.. In addition to that it has a Cd Changer

Another Beautiful Vehicle, very clean inside and out. It looks really nice, and rides a bit smother because of the lack of the TRD package.

Picture of this contender:

http://64.42.5.144/photos/photo906125.jpg

Decisions:

Well if you want to know what my needs are...

I'm a college student who lives in the hills of santa cruz, ca.

I can tell you that in Santa Cruz, it rains a lot and the roads are curvy, but I live off a dirt road

also, so hence why I need the truck. I go skiing/snow boarding nearly every year in Lake Tahoe where it does snow there, but when I'm traveling, the majority of the time the roads are plowed ahead of the time if it has snowed. I don't really go off-roading much, and after I'm done with this for a year, I'm giving the truck to my dad who has always wanted a truck. I'm letting him drive my Honda Prelude for the time being.

What should I do?

Should I opt for the 4x4?

Should I go for a Prerunner?

Should I go for a new one? --Remember I'm a poor college student--

And why don't any tacomas have ABS. I know it is an option, but its so damn hard to find them with that option. I think it would be useful for me, I guess I'll be stuck pumping the breaks.

Thank you for all of your help and comments in my time of need.

-The Poon

• Options
    Well... you found two great trucks. The 4X4 seems like a better deal and here's why.

A 4X4 is a 4X4 and they will always:
    A) cost more than even new PreRunner and
    B) therefore retain more value than their PreRunner counterparts

A modified truck is someone else's idea of a well modified truck and your nightmare. For a used truck the mods add cost to you and, in case of accident or stolen truck, you will see no additional money for.

Don't begrude the Toyota Certified Used Vehicle program. Better to still have 3 years and 52,000 miles of warranty left than the PreRunner's which is almost expired.

Now...Here's a question for you. Do you really want to buy a '98 Tacoma used (for which you will pay a higher interest rate) for close to $19,000 when you could get a 2001 or 2002 Tacoma PreRunner Xtra Cab for close to $19,000?

A 2001 PreRunner XtraCab 3.4L V6 with LX SR5 Chrome Package, TRD and a sliding rear window calculates around $18,903 using Edmunds TMV. And, unlike buying a used vehicles whose interest rates are normally between 9-10%, you will enjoy a more modest 5-7% for a new one.

Food for Thought,
    John
  • Options
    sluglineslugline Member Posts: 391
    Dad's ready to replace his '90 Toyota Xtracab with a new truck. He's happy with the way it's held up over 165K miles, so a Tacoma is high on the list of candidates.

I'm trying to help him research things, but I'm having trouble with the Edmunds price listings. I've configured a Xtracab PreRunner V6 with auto tranny successfully. I want to "build" the same truck as a plain 4x2 instead of a PreRunner, but I don't see a listing for this. Does this mean that this combination isn't possible? Thanks for the advice.
  • Options
    Sorry to say you cannot get the V6 with the 4X2 models unless you want an S-Runner.

Bummer huh? I think it sucks.

John
  • Options
    midnight_stangmidnight_stang Member Posts: 862
    The "build your own" function is a bit more intuitive than Edmunds options. Sometimes you just have to call a dealership and see if it's possible to invoice order one under your specifications.
  • Options
    Go to http://www.carsdirect.com.

You can even print out a window sticker when you're done.

• Options
    sc0rpi0sc0rpi0 Member Posts: 897
    From what I hear, charger kicks [non-permissible content removed], and you can get it for $2030 or so. I'm going with different mods, though, like headers, amsoil air filter, flowmaster muffler, deckplate modification, to increase the ponies. 2K for a charger is a little too much, especially considering that it drinks 91 octane at accelerated rate (1-2 mpg less than stock)
  • Options
    Are you doing the work yourself? I can't remember where I read about the deckplate mod before I bought the truck but now I can't find it.

The Toy dealer offers a K&N TRD filter for the '01 Taco for $89. What's the model number of the AMSOIL filter you're using and I'll check it out. I assume the air box of your truck is similar to my '01 V6.

Anylinks and/or suggestions/instructions you have on moding the intake and headers would be appreciated. Also, let me know what model of flowmaster you're going with and how it sounds.

Cheers,
    John
  • Options
    smgillessmgilles Member Posts: 252
    ebb: Go to tacomaterritory.com and they will tell you how to do the deckplate and it only costs $20 in parts. The K&N filters are only $50 and you can get them through toyotaguys.com, becareful if you over oil you will ruin the air mass sensor and is not covered by warranty. $300!

Scorpio: $2030, you better jump on that if that is the case, the cheapest anywhere I have seen is $2300 and that included the belt tensioner. I have done all things mentioned above and a cat-back exhaust.

Supercharger+filter+deckplate mod.+cat-back=one quick Tacoma.

My problems of paint cracking- Toyota has repainted the entire truck under warranty. Thought it was going to be a struggle but worked out very well.
  • Options
    Anyone know how close to invoice 2001 tacomas are going for right now? (maybe they're selling 'em right at invoice being that the model year is almost over)
  • Options
    guadeloupeguadeloupe Member Posts: 5
    I'm not sure about the 2001's, but I just ordered a 2002 Tacoma Prerunner V6 xcab yesterday for $533 over invoice. Loaded to-the-gills it priced out at $21,662 to me. List was $23,463. Invoice was $21,129.

It was so easy, I think I could have bought it for $3-400 over. 1-1/2 hours total time at the dealer which included a 30 minute test drive.

The salesman said there weren't many 2001's left and they were dealing on all but the Crew Cab model, said those were going for $1K to 1.5K over.

I took the suggestion of one of the gentlemen on this board and submitted a signed offer to them in person. Cash deal, no trade.

I think, in my limited experience at car buying, it was a good deal, maybe not a GREAT deal, but I'm happy with it.

I live in southern Oregon, if anyone is close and wants the name of this great dealer, let me know.
  • Options
    tallmanswifetallmanswife Member Posts: 12
    My husband and I are debating the safety of a 60-lb child in the rear seat of our '98 Tacoma extended cab. Can anyone help me with references for this? Thanks!
  • Options
    It's going to be hard to find good data for the rear seat of an extended-cab pickup, unfortunately. Try NHTSA's website for some crash test data: www.nhtsa.org
  • Options
    obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    You can start here:

http://www.nhtsa.com/people/injury/childps/

and here:

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/people/injury/childps/booster_seat/page6.html

One thing that is recommended is a booster seat until they are 80 lbs. Can one fit back there?

This discussion has been closed.