Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Pontiac Grandam: hot engine stalls when shifting

qiuxiangqiuxiang Member Posts: 4
edited April 2014 in Pontiac
Hi all,
My '93 Pontiac Grand AM has such symptons:

It starts up easily, runs well when cold, however, after driving for a while, engine stalls sometimes when I try to make a quick
stop. I can start engine again, but it always stalls again immediately after I postion the shift lever to any gear except P(park) and N(netrual). Idle speed at that time is kind of very low, I have to wait for about 20 minutes before I can get the car moving. It idles a little bit erractically.

I have the cooling system checked, it's ok, and also I didn't notice any overheating. Also, some clicking sound from engine when hot, it runs quite smoothly when cold.

Any similar experience and advice? Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    0patience0patience Member Posts: 1,712
    It sounds like it is heating up and binding.
    When it is hot and causing the problem, stop and carefully look down on the trans from the front of the vehicle, you will see a Square plug, about 1" square on the trans, near the trans pan. Unplug it(Use caution; Engine parts will be extremely hot), test drive, if the symptoms go away, then you have a problem with the Torque Converter Control solenoid.

Be sure to plug it back in, running with the plug out will cause extra heat and wear to the transmission.
  • Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Man, these things seem to go out 5 times a day here at the Edmunds Board! We need to buy stock in whoever is making them for GM.
  • Options
    Thanks a lot!
    I will try it next time I get stuck! :-(
  • Options
    I tried the suggestion by Opatience last time engine stalled again, it didn't work.
    I could feel that the engine ran very slowly after I started it again after stalling, also it stalls right after I shift transmission, no sputtering.
    Another symptom is that engine becomes noisy when warmed up. It has a rough idle too.
    when it's cold, it runs excellently. :)
    I just pushed car into one parking spot (with engine running), and went to have dinner, after that, I could drive again.

Any idea ?
  • Options
    jgmilbergjgmilberg Member Posts: 872
    It might be the coil packs and ignition module, my brother in law had a bonny with a 3.8, and it did the same thing after it warmed up. Auto parts stores can test them if you take them in. It may also be worth the $80 to have the dealer look at it to diagnose the trouble, then you can fix it yourself. If it does turn out to be the coils or ignition module, I recommend replacing them both, a bad one of either can shorten the life of the other, and the problem could come back to haunt you later.
  • Options
    joe3891joe3891 Member Posts: 759
    It maybe the CTS,I think you need a scan to find out.
  • Options
    I feel I am a dumb, I can not figure out what CTS is. Can you ...?

Actually, I do feel like that TCC is sticking or binding up, however, the trick Opatience mentiioned didn't prove that. I had it
    checked, no related problems found. ( I didn't replace TCC).
    So, I am just wondering: can we rule out the possibility of TCC failure?
    just because that trick didn't get car going. or it implies more serious problem?

thanks, I will go to another mechanic next Mondy, I will keep you uptodate.
  • Options
    joe3891joe3891 Member Posts: 759
    Its like tcc,torque converter clutch,cts,coolant temp sensor.Ya gotta get book to talk auto problems.
This discussion has been closed.