Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Infiniti G35 Sedan 2006 and earlier

Comments

• Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    They sucker us into the stuff. My first car had no A/C and I had to install a cassette player.

My 2nd car had A/C and a factory stereo (wow!).

My 3rd car has keyless, power locks, power windows, AWD, ABS, and cruise.

Now I'm looking at HIDs, leather, seat heaters, power moonroof, traction control, stability control, EBD, etc.

The problem is, the price has jumped by $10 grand each time. I paid $800 (used), then $10,800, then $19,200, and now I'm looking at $30 grand. Will my next car fly and cost $40 grand or what?

Funny thought.

-juice
  • Options
    riezriez Member Posts: 2,361
    Anyone here have the actual individual gear ratios for the G35's 5-speed automatic, and the final drive ratio?

35fan... Please keep reporting your highway fuel economy. Surprised the RPMs at 80 mph are 2,800. What are they at 75 mph (going interstate speed in my state, or at least one the troopers won't write you a speeding ticket)? But maybe it will improve when the engine is no longer green? Yesterday I took my wife's '00 323iA out for an 80-mile roundtrip, mostly interstate. At 75 mph it turns over only 2,600 RPMs. (She got about 28.30 mpg on her 3,800 mile roundtrip vacation this month.) Her 323iA has only a 2.5L I-6 and it comes with a 3.15 final drive and direct drive (1:00:1) non-overdrive 5th gear. In comparison, would've guessed G35 RPMs lower due to bigger engine that can relax, overdrive 5th, possibly slipperier aerodynamics, etc.
  • Options
    cheerioboy26cheerioboy26 Member Posts: 412
    I guess you've been to Rosenthal Infiniti. Can yo buy in MD? Too far away for me.

It was reported somewhere that only 5% of the G35 sedans will be cloth/base. Hard to find indeed if that is true.
  • Options
    bz2yx9bz2yx9 Member Posts: 30
    I'm going to get my windows tinted this week. I didn't have the dealer do it because I didn't want to drive 3 hours to have it fixed if I had any problems.

Anyway, I think I prefer the metallic tints, but I've heard they can cause problems with radio reception (since the antenna is embedded in the back windshield). Does anybody have any experience with this?

Also, Llumar and Formula One seem to be the popular brands here in Dallas. Any other recommendations?
  • Options
    gandhim3gandhim3 Member Posts: 191
    You could always order a G35 equipped to your liking. But there would be a 60-90 day wait.

Thats the price to pay if want to get what you want.
  • Options
    dpepperdpepper Member Posts: 44
    I'm in Austin, so I know how hot it gets. I got a Blk/Blk so I want the best. No matter what brand you go with make sure it's High Performance.

Go the www.motherswindowtint.com They give a pretty good explanation of the different tint's and the tint laws of Texas
  • Options
    faenorfaenor Member Posts: 99
    Has anyone checked the oil level in their G35 yet? I pulled into a service station today and pulled on the nice high visibility pull ring for it... and pulled... and pulled... I had a similar experience just a few weeks ago clearing a bathtub drain with a pipe snake *laughing*

Its more funny than anything else but I think that the dipstick must have to weave around some significant obstacles before it finally plunges itself into the oil! It has all sorts of purpose bent curvature and the dipstick pipe even has a small "guide" so you can get it back in there! I was holding the thing and just sort of laughed out loud at the outlandish look of the thing :) My toyota has a 1/8" diameter solid metal dipstick that I swear you could stand on like a pogo stick it is so beefy...

I would wager that the G35 dispstick must have cost about 500,000 dollars in development and engineering time to design! :)

Again, this is no biggie, I just thought it was really funny being used to the Toyota style, and the person behind me at the pumps even said "Whoa, what happened to it?" and I was just too busy laughing!!! :)

Faenor/Dane4
  • Options
    gabmangabman Member Posts: 284
    Funny you should mention this, I figured I should check my oil last time I filled up, it was around 14 degrees out and the wind was howling, Took me 5 mins to find it and then about another 10 mins to get it back in the hole, if that is what you can call it, more like a slot. Needless to say I was frozen and not very amused.
  • Options
    rogerleborogerlebo Member Posts: 2
    Hi!

When I start to run with my G35, the doors don't lock automatically.

I haven't yet seen this option in the booklet.

Is there a way to have my doors locked automatically whan I start to
    run?

Thank you very much! Roger
  • Options
    Only way I know to have your doors lock automatically is to install a remote car starter and then you can get the option of auto lock doors as soon as you put the car in drive. However keep in mind that Infiniti have coded keys so a remote starter with coded keys will run you close to $400.00 here in Canada, you can have it done in Burlington (Circuit City) for around US $ 180.00 but if you have a problem with the starter you have to run back there.

By the way I am In MTL and have had my G since early March, how are you enjoying your car? What colour do you have?
  • Options
    norcalmike2norcalmike2 Member Posts: 133
    Drop me an e mail at mnusink@worldnet.att.net and I can give you all the details in the silver w/ willow cloth base luxury that I bought over the weekend. I also know where there is a brand new luxury base just like mine for $25,000.00. Mike
  • Options
    cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,506
    Hailing from the hellhole that is Phoenix, I can speak to window tinting.

Metallic tints have no effect on radio reception -- the antenna is on the inside of the window, and the tint goes inside of that. From the antenna's point of view (toward the outside), nothing has changed.

On the other hand, if you still live in the stone age (as I do) and have a hand-held garage door opener, you may need to crack a window when the battery gets low to make the door go up.

Spending a week on business in Gabman's territory is a breath of fresh air for me. I won't be comfortable again in PHX until October.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • Options
    You are a couple of weeks early, winter decided to make an appearance, hopefully it won't last long, enjoy your stay
  • Options
    Just checked your profile from my hotel here in Laval. . .and no e-mail address.

Mine (profile) has an e-mail address. I have a couple of (additional) off-topic and/or potentially lengthy comments that should probably go to you direct, if you're interested. Send me your address if you'd like.
  • Options
    no email address in your profile, am still at office for another 20 mins so tell me how to contact u
  • Options
    I just remembered that I pulled my e-mail address off my profile, since it's the one I use at work. I'm 99.99% certain that no one else on this board cares, so here goes: steve.woodard@honeywell.com.

Sorry for the confusion.
  • Options
    gandhim3gandhim3 Member Posts: 191
    Do you think these guys are gonna chat about redheads and Canadian "tongs" ?! LOL
  • Options
    rogerleborogerlebo Member Posts: 2
    I enjoy a lot my new G35.
    Sometimes, I wake up at 2:00 in the morning and I take a G35 ride.
    I got this marvel March Tuesday 12th.
    It is black on black.

Up to now, the only thing missing is that the doors don't lock automatically when I start to un.
    I had this option on my bright red Pontiac Grand Prix GTP.

Have a nice day! Roger
  • Options
    fedlawmanfedlawman Member Posts: 3,118
    I grew up in DDO and had a friend who's dad worked for Honeywell (my dad worked at SPAR). I don't remember the area too well now, but I'm going back for my 20 year reunion this summer.
  • Options
    Go figure.
  • Options
    joeandcarol2joeandcarol2 Member Posts: 152
    thanks for the tip but i won't be buying until i can get a manual tranmission.
  • Options
    jonnyjjonnyj Member Posts: 15
    Drove the G35 yesterday. I presently drive a 00 328i, and am considering another BMW, 9-5 Aero, G-35 and possibly A4.

I was very impressed with the acceleration of the G, which is much faster than my 328i. The car handled well, looked good (similar to an A4 / A6) and seemed well-finished. Although I'm probably looking for a true manual, I thought the G's autostick was the best I had ever drove.

However, the interior is a real snooze. It looks like all the othe Japanese cars. Especially annoying is the gearshift, giant as it is, which seems it was first modeled after a mid-70's Camaro.

I think the G is a good effort, but they could have spent another $500 - $1,000 on the interior and easily charged for it.
  • Options
    I also have a black/black, are i=you in Mtl or Quebec city?

Go invest in a remote car starter, it will solve your problem about auto door locks and in our climate it is a really good thing to have, once you get it you will wonder how you lived without it.

Personaly I do not want my doors to lock automatically, had it in previous vehicles and found it to be a pain. Also I am not a believer in driving with doors locked, there is always that chance that you know what will happen and I would prefer to get pulled out quickly rather than someone having to worry about locked doors.
    Besides we live in Canada and don't have to worry about carjackings like some of our U.S. friends.
  • Options
    Very small world it is, I live where you grew up.
    Are you comming back for a school reunion? Funny thing is not much has changed while you were gone, enjoy your reunion
  • Options
    autogvautogv Member Posts: 1
    Which Seattle dealer did you see discounting $2500 off MSRP on a G35?

Was it a loaded model?

How's your G35 running on the wet roads of Seattle? Have you activated the VDC often during your drive so far?
  • Options
    stebustebu Member Posts: 204
    I hear ya man. I, too, am an avid G20t ('00 5-spd) owner. One of the sweetest handling FWD'ers ever conceived that just needed a serious infusion of more horsepower. It was apparent, even 2 years ago when I got my baby "G", that it had been orphaned by Infiniti. So, I have been following the G35 from conception (XVL) to birth with extreme interest. As it turns out, I'm not ready to "upgrade" just yet. But, for me, I think that should work out just fine since I'm guessing that the future coupe version of the G35 with a 6-spd manual may be more to my liking. I'm thinking/hoping the coupe will be a perfect compromise between the G35 sedan I can justify to the wife and the 350Z I lust for.
  • Options
    j1g35j1g35 Member Posts: 20
    Since there are many more G35 drivers and owners on this board, I'd like to ask again whether others have experienced what I call a "lunge" effect when trying to dive at a steady speed (35 to 45 mph) and nudging the gas pedal slightly to moderately increase speed. I found it almost impossible to drive the car smoothly. It seems the transmission wants to downshift at the least provocation.
  • Options
    rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,192
    Is the trans. actually downshifting?
    Or un-locking the TCC?
    Or both?
    And does this occur when in 4M or 5M as well, where TCC would (I'd hope) be the only possible cause . . .
    Thanks,
    - Ray
    Who tries to drive smoothly - at least when there are passengers to consider . . .
    2022 X3 M40i
  • Options
    rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,192
    Is the trans. actually downshifting?
    Or un-locking the TCC?
    Or both?
    And does this occur when in 4M or 5M as well, where TCC would (I'd hope) be the only possible cause . . .
    Thanks,
    - Ray
    Who tries to drive smoothly - at least when there are passengers to consider . . .
    2022 X3 M40i
  • Options
    j1g35j1g35 Member Posts: 20
    I only drove the demonstrator car in the automatic mode (didn't try the manual mode); it seemed that transmission was both unlocking the TCC and downshifting at the same time. Could it be unique ( a flaw?) to the particular car I drove. Going for another test drive tommorow in a different car. Will try the manual mode.
  • Options
    pearsondpearsond Member Posts: 22
    I know exactly where you are coming from. 350Z looks awesome. I also agree about the 6spd out in fall. I know I would love it, and it also would be a great way to keep the wife from driving it, but I'm ready for an automatic. I love a stick, but w/ all that power in the G35, I'm ready to chill and enjoy the ride.

What color is your baby G? Mine, Brilliant Silver touring. Love it to death, but must have more power, and the 35 fits the bill.

Later
  • Options
    tiger8tiger8 Member Posts: 120
    Can anyone recommend an Infiniti dealer in the Chicago metro area? Any sales persons you''d recommend?
  • Options
    dafreakdafreak Member Posts: 154
    i am working with Bill Ficken at Fields Infiniti in Libertyville....Very nice guy who has done a great job for me....not pushy at all...i would guess they have around 10-12 cars on their lot in all colors....hope this helps...
  • Options
    jjy1jjy1 Member Posts: 26
    For all the gushing g35 reviews, here's a sobering review from someone that wanted to like the car, but found it lacking...

I test drove the g last weekend and found that it didn't exactly inspire me to buy. I also test drove the altima (10 min before) and it pretty much felt the same. Mind u, I didn't push either cars too hard, as I'm pretty much a conservative driver.

I thought maybe I can live with the ugly rear, but my wife saw the rear and she could not stop commenting on how 'butt ugly' the car is. I know some of u like it, but I for one still don't. Maybe the aerokit would help, still don't know.

The inside was so so, with the titanium finish looking very cheap. The clock on the car was also very stupid looking. Inifinit just needs to get a clue in that department. I didn't feel like this was a huge step up from the altima (just a slight upgrade). The foot emergency break was the worst. Who would be able to use that??

When I was looking at the cars, my brother in law kept harping about how the g35 was basically the altima for 5k more (referring to the similar looks). That has a ring of truth to it, as most lay people will probably think that.

Basically, we left the test drives with a feeling that neither car was worth getting at this point -which really suks for me cause I'm in a market for a sporty new car.

I wanted to avoid the type s until next year, maybe I'll have to wait until then...

good luck, (imho)
  • Options
    35fan35fan Member Posts: 40
    I haven't noticed one. Perhaps it was particular to the car you drove. Love the throttle by wire. You get instantaneous power with the slightest touch of the accelerator.
  • Options
    jh83jh83 Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know of any good dealers in or around NC they would recommend that have more than a few G35'S on display?
  • Options
    a3a12498a3a12498 Member Posts: 17
    Certainly beauty is in the eyes of the beholder, and glad you had the opportunity to express your opinion. However as a former BMW driver for the last 17 years, six 7-series , and one 540i, I have found the G35 to be an excellent all around car for its price point. From the opinions of others who have test driven the Acura, Lexus, etc. the vast majority of opinion is the G35 is the best.
    If the G35 has left you less than enthused, I suggest you look at a loaded 540i or the M5. These are definitely going to blow the G35 away in terms of size, performance (well at least the M5 will), luxury, cache, etc. Of course you are also looking at a roughly 75% price surcharge for the 540i, and over 100% for the M5.
    Please let us know what car you find in the G35 price range, that you feel beats it, all factors considered. I for one would like to know.
  • Options
    stsurbrookstsurbrook Member Posts: 285
    I've heard the "Altima" comment before and can tell you that other than some styling cues, they are totally different cars. Altima vs. G35: FWD vs RWD, Traditional vs Front Midship layout, Traditional vs Multi-link suspension, 255hp vs 260/~230ft-lb vs 260ft-lb, etc., etc.

HOWEVER, the main difference in performance will only be apparent if you PUSH the car. I found it to be very tame in a "standard" road test. It wasn't until I found an empty (abandoned) parking lot and a tight freeway "clover leaf" on-ramp that I really was able to appreciate the car.

Of course, there are also MANY luxury items on the G35 that are not available on the Altima.

If you are looking for a "sporty looking" car that can get up and go, then the Altima will probably be everything that you might want. However, if you want both a "sporty" sedan that both handles well and has class-leading "get up and go" WITH luxury appointments that just are not available with the Nissan products, then the Infiniti will be what you want.

Then again, if you think it is "butt ugly", then it probably isn't the car you are looking for, no matter the handling.

As has been said here many times, "To each their own." Personally, I'm looking forward to when mine arrives (60-90 days down the road).

Scott
  • Options
    rogerabrogerab Member Posts: 29
    As mentioned previously I wanted to install my winter wheels & tires from my 2000 I30T to a G35.
    I have been informed by Infiniti that the bolt pattern is the same, however the offset is different.
    I would appreciate knowing what this means.
  • Options
    speedracer3speedracer3 Member Posts: 650
    Somehow it is in vogue to compare the G35 to the Altima and frankly I don't get it. I've driven both cars and they are like apples and oranges. The G35 and Altima ride totally different, handle different, don't look remotely alike, and use different platforms. The only thing that the Altima and G35 share is the engine (Altima SE), which is even tuned differently for the G.

So get it out of your skulls, the G is NOT a more expensive Altima.
  • Options
    blinkerblinker Member Posts: 38
    Hey, if the car doesn't turn you on so be it. I for one like the cars looks and performance which is equivilent if not better than some of the upscale German cars I have owned. Unfortunately, for me owning these upscale German cars has been like owning a Jaguar--a beautiful piece of art. The reliability is another matter as the service department gets to know you on a first name basis.
  • Options
    neo_gtrwneo_gtrw Member Posts: 76
    Here are some interesting info for the Skyline model in Japan:
    350GT-8: 3.5liter, 268hp@6000rpm, 260lb-ft@4800rpm, price=3.66 million yen=$27,500
    300GT: 3.0liter, 256hp@6400rpm, 239lb-ft@4800rpm, price=3.25 million yen=$24,500
    250GT: probably underpowered for the U.S. market.
    250GT 4WD: very interesting; wonder if they will design a version for the 3.5liter model

For $3,000 less, I think the 3.0liter version looks very attractive to the U.S. market, maybe after they bump the G35 rating close to 300hp.
  • Options
    jwilson1jwilson1 Member Posts: 956
    Well, not having seen a G35 yet, I'd be interested in where the perception is coming from that the Altima/G appearance is similar. People must be getting this from Somewhere!

Any suggestions?

Take care.
    Joe W.
  • Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,558
    Is basically where the center of the wheel is in relation to the edges. If you look at a wheel, the center piece (where you bolt it on) may not be right in the middle. It can be offset to the inside or the outside of the wheel. This is done mostly for clearance (I think).

So, if the offset is different, you can have problems with the wheels/tires interfering with the suspension or body, turning radius issues, abnormal wear of the suspension, etc.

Generally not a good idea to significantly change the offset. If you have ever seen a "slammed" car with the wheels sticking way out, thats one way to do it.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    dmmattixdmmattix Member Posts: 77
    The offsets of the two wheel offerings are located in the Owner's Manual (holy [non-permissible content removed], who would thought to look there!!). The 16" wheel has a 40mm offset while the 17" wheel has a 45mm offset. What I did not know was the bolt pattern as that does NOT seem to be in the owner's manual. Lord knows why they would give you the offset but no lug bolt pattern....

BTW, the above information is quoted from memory you should check the manual yourself before you order any wheels...
  • Options
    kd6aw1kd6aw1 Member Posts: 116
    Dear Mr. Lacking,

As one who has been buying new cars since 1949 I would like to state that my new G35 with navigation has been the finest car I have ever owned. It looks good to my family and any of my friends who have seen it. I would like to congratulate the designers and engineers who created such a great handling and good looking car. If you can't see the difference between an Altima and the G35 I suggest that you buy a used Yugo because you must be blind.

Sincerely,

Paul
  • Options
    ruskiruski Member Posts: 1,566
    G35 does not look anything like the Altima.
  • Options
    jjy1jjy1 Member Posts: 26
    Well, I beg to differ. The altima and g35 have very similar lights and the front design looks kinda similar. They also both have rather large backs, with the Altima having a nicer design in that regard. Hey to each their own. Be happy with your g35. It's nice, just not for me...
  • Options
    morgan1112morgan1112 Member Posts: 36
    Man, some of you guys are just down-right defensive about your G35s.

I am too.

Looks like an ALTIMA?!?! WHAT ARE YOU CRAZY??

Man, am I bored at work today? yes.
  • Options
    emathieuemathieu Member Posts: 11
    "The altima and g35 have very similar lights and the front design looks kinda similar"

Yes, they both have bulbs in them. And they both have clear lenses on them. After that, the similarities stop. Oh yeah, they're both in the front of the cars too. I see your point.

Seriously, these cars look nothing alike. The lines on them are VERY different... Take another look...
This discussion has been closed.