Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Break pad replacement?

sjogreensjogreen Member Posts: 1
edited April 2014 in BMW
I have about 21000 miles on my 99 BMW, and just got told by the dealer at a regular service interval that my break pads were totally shot and need replacement. Since this is "normal wear and tear" its not covered by the warranty.

So, my question is this: Is it really "normal wear and tear" to have front break pads completely shot after 21000 miles? This seems WAY early to me, and therefore should come under warranty protection. Am I wrong?

Comments

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    It depends on how you drive and where you live. 20K seems a bit low, but certainly not out of the question for brake pad replacement.

I'd say it's on the low end of normal for your type of car.
  • armtdmarmtdm Member Posts: 2,057
    Sorry, can be anywhere fron 12,000 miles to 75,000 on pads and never covered under warranty.
  • oldharryoldharry Member Posts: 413
    A friend of mine whose wife is from Germany went to visit her family a few years ago. His brother in law drove a Mercedes, and replaced his brake pads every 5000 KILOMETREs !!! The way he drove, however, frightened my friend. This man would pass a car going only a little slower than he was, then slam on the brakes for a curve. Extreme driving can wear brake pads very quickly.

Harry
This discussion has been closed.