Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hyundai Elantra Owners: Meet the Members

Comments

• tmk01tmk01 Posts: 2
    Just bought a 2002 Elantra GLS, 2.0L, option 5 w/ ABS & TCS, Obsidian Black. Had to pay sticker price, but didn't have a choice if I wanted ABS/TCS. Those option 5's are like gold around here in WA state. No dealer trades or price bargaining with those features. But I wanted the safety, and am very impressed with the car over all. Still a great buy compared to like models with same features.
  • dmarzo1dmarzo1 Posts: 37
    I joined the club today and must say I am quite pleased with my decision. I got a good deal on a 2001 Elantra GT, Automatic, ABS, sunroof, etc. Purchase price was $14,600 and out the door at $15350.

Will give more impressions later--but just wanted to join the club for now :)

Dave
  • We bought the black 2002 GT with automatic, moon roof, ABS, TCS, floor mats, mud guards, and cargo net on 11/26/01.
    I still sneak out to look at it!
    Reached 2000 miles today and am getting 24+ mpg
    in 50/50 driving. MPG keeps improving with
    every tank. My only beefs are:
    1) occasional 2nd to 3rd gear 'searching'
    2) hatch rattles when it's cold
    3) driver side wiper lets fluid build up on
    glass near side pillar.

Otherwise, we love this car!
  • desgdesg Posts: 52
    My GLS Hatch finally arrived today :)

In Australian spec this is:

- Hatchback
    - 2 Litre engine
    - Cloth seats
    - automatic (Sydney traffic and a manual I think NOT)
    - Rear Disc brakes
    - power windows & mirrors
    - air conditioning
    - alloy wheels
    - radio/single CD player with 6 speakers

We basically don't get Leather (not the best in this climate anyways), trip computer, cruise control, TCS (don't need it here), Purple instruments.

ABS is an option.

Car is in Elm Green and looks pretty good, nice to drive and pretty quiet and smooth, the hatch is extremely practical and in my view looks the best out of the two shapes. I'm probably going to get Tint and cruise control fitted aftermarket, will put a set of front seat covers and floor mats in it for protection and to make cleaning easier.

Final cost was AUD 22,500 with all on road costs paid for - very good value. In USD that is about $11,500.
  • gt_fangt_fan Posts: 159
    Last week I became the proud owner of a Carbon Blue 2002 Elantra GT. I had to call all over Colorado to find one with 5spd and ABS. Paid $15,395 before tax. The dealer threw in the tint and clear mask on the hood, so I'm guessing it was about an average deal for a hot-selling model.

I was looking to replace my '95 Audi 90 Quattro with something that could handle three child seats and a large dog in the back, and the GT fit the bill perfectly. Also wanted to get away from the ridiculous amount of money I was paying for maintenance, repairs, insurance and gas with the Audi. (Great car to own - if you're rich!)

One of the biggest stumbling blocks for me about buying this car was Hyundai's past reputation. My sister had a brand new '86 Excel and it was a rolling (sometimes) disaster. Most of my co-workers drive high-end stuff (Boxters, Ferrari's, Mercedes, etc), so I was a little concerned about what kind of ribbing I would take, but with kids and a mortgage, my priorities have changed a bit. The funny thing is, when I drive this car I don't feel like I'm having to settle for anything. It really is a blast to drive and the look is distinctive enough that I turn a lot more heads than I did with the Audi. It feels very solid and with the great warranty, I don't think I'm taking much of a risk.

Looking forward to getting the car through it's break-in so I can turn it loose a bit. Happy to be a member of the club!
  • risa5risa5 Posts: 23
    Hi everyone. I thought I already posted here since I've posted everywhere else, but I obviously have not. I just purchased a Chianti Red 2002 Elantra GT, automatic and ABS. Thank you to everyone on this board for their very helpful and informative posts.
  • Karen_SKaren_S Posts: 5,095
    Last week, Edmunds rolled out new pricing pages. Along with this is a new "consumer ratings & reviews". This functionality lives in the "consumer opinions" area of the new vehicle detail page, and allows users to rate a vehicle on a number of different criteria (1 to 10 scale), as well as add his/her own free-form comments.

If you have some time, we would really appreciate Town Hall members writing a review of their current auto, or a favorite make/model. It takes approximately a week for your review to appear on that make/model.

If you have any questions, please let me know!

Thanks!

KarenS
    Host
    Owners Clubs

Edmunds Manager UGC Click on my screen name to send a personal message. Need help navigating? Check out Getting Started in Edmunds Forums.
    Need help picking out a make/model, finding inventory, or advice on pricing? Talk to an Edmunds Car Shopping Advisor

• vojdvojd Posts: 3
    Does anybody still have Elantra'93-95?
    Mine is Elantra '93 and it has around 90k miles on it. I bought it 2 years ago with 72k on it. Still running but has problems (recently replaced engine)which I encountered recently.
    And I need a front bumper cover that was cracked finally last winter and driver side molding (I live in upstate New York). Dealers replacement prices are very high (considering the final cost of this car :)).
  • Has anyone seen the GT in the dark blue? I'm not sure what Hyundai call the shade but my dealer says it's just new. I'm trying to decide between the dark blue and pewter!
  • I bought a 2002 pewter 5-speed manual Elantra GT in October 2001 & am in Southern CA. Got it brand spanking new (just off the boat - 8 miles on the odometer) with all the options available; moonroof, ABS brakes, traction control, floor mats, mud flaps, cargo net, etc. Added LoJack too.

Total price out the door, including tax/license = just a hair over $16,000.

Considering everything that came on this car, I don't feel as though I paid too much. I seriously doubt I could have gotten another brand new car with anywhere near this many "premium" options for less than $20K.
  • litolpealitolpea Posts: 4
    howdie there. just wanted to join the into's...i am shelli, NE ohio, happy elantra owner now for 6 months...2001 black GLS, moonroof, the whole shebang.
    drivin around cleveland was never so much fun!
  • Hello everyone. I'm from PA, and over here on the east coast Hyundai's got stiff competiton from the Japanese cars, but I'll tell yah something, that's because the Japanese are scared! This is a great car, spacious, easy to drive, and affordable! I pay 12,225 for mine, with a starting price of 10,495 (1800 under invoice so I hear). Stick shift, so there's tons of kick. It definetly the better buy over civic's and saturn's if you can get it for that price. Its a base model, so I won't bother listing options (hehe). The one thing weird about it is I've got a California Emissions package on mine? That's kinda annoying, cause its more complicated, less gass mileage, and IT HASTA MEET CALIFORNIA EMISSIONS NOW! Couldn't find one without though, so I'll hafta deal :) That's a small con though. See ya around the boards!
  • Whats goin on everyone?? I just bought a new Elantra last week. I know I haven't had it long enough to talk about reliability, but here is my impression so far. I bought a 5-speed GLS w/ Option 3 package. Paid $12,800 and $13650 out the door. Plus I got 1.9%APR, so interest payments are nothing. I'm only a 20 year old college student, so value was imperative for me. I have driven the hell out of it, 950 miles in 7 days, and I still love to get behind the wheel every chance I get. I used to drive a V-8 Chevrolet Truck which obviously overshadows any pep the Elantra might have, but going to the gas pump 1/2 as often and paying $10 less per tank makes it all worthwhile. Stock CD player and tweeters is great, but I want to upgrade the speakers. If anyone has had any experiences, good or bad, please let me know. And does this void any part of the warranty. I will let everyone know how it holds up after I reach the 12,000 mile mark, which based upon my milage, could be pretty soon.
  • jimbeaumijimbeaumi Posts: 620
    Congratulations to the latest Elantra owners! My little gem just rolled 13,000 miles on my way back from a Chicago day trip. A very smooth and comfortable trip, I might add. Now that I've had several of these longer trips, not the usual around-town driving, the engine seems smoother than ever and still very responsive. I am quite happy.
  • csandstecsandste Posts: 1,866
    last summer I paid $11.2 for a GLS with group 2. That seemed about average except for California which was quite a bit lower. I was unable to get the dealer to budge lower. This was his quoted cost for group 1 with all up-groups at his exact cost (matched with Edmunds figures-- of course you also got the 1.9%). I notice that the same dealer went up $100 between the 01's and 02's. Cars that were $10,895 are now advertised for $10,995.
  • okeydokeyokeydokey Posts: 12
    2002 gls midnight grey (looks purple to me) bought may 2002, now almost 3000 miles. automatic, base model (no cruise, no keyfob) bought it real cheap (under 10k new) happy with it so far, no problem whatsoever.
  • csandstecsandste Posts: 1,866
    you got one hell of a good price. Must live in California or some other place where they're dumping cars. Most of the high depreciation costs on Hyundais is because they figure purchase costs at or near MSRP. No one would pay that for a Hyundai. Even the Edmunds TMV prices seem high to me, as did the price they paid for their test car. Figuring depreciation off of your purchase price would bring near-Toyota total costs.
  • tsuweitsuwei Posts: 1
    I paid $13k out the door for my '02 GLS (auto) with package 3 in May. It is quiet and smooth comparing with my old '95 Saturn SL2. My wife would like to buy a GT now.
  • arsiongarsiong Posts: 7
    Hi pewter2002 -- I just picked up 2002 Elantra GLS, without any options you added for just $500.
    I envy your dear. I am in Michigan area, and I just need a Black grippy steering wheel cover because I found the wheel is too thin for my long fingers, what kind of shop/store should I go to for a Black grippy steering wheel cover??? then I would be very happy.....Thanks
    If you are in metro Detroit, always go to Murray's for car stuff. In the rest of the state, AutoZone or Pep Boys. I miss Murray's!!
  • bdwyer63bdwyer63 Posts: 2
    Hi all:

I post this message with joy and guilt at the same time. My wife and I just purchased a jet black 2002 Elantra GLS loaded to the 9's for about $12,700. The only options that we didn't get were the spoiler and ABS. Beyond that it's got every toy and creature comfort you could want (AT, Keyless entry/alarm, AC, all power, moonroof, CD 6 speaker stereo, etc).

This purchase started out as nothing more than a car "shopping" expedition where we would be comparing/test driving similar "economy" compacts for my son to have when he gets his license this fall. Our field was narrowed down to three, the Mazda Protege (which we did test drive), the Honda Civic and of course the Elantra.

As mentioned we did test drive the Mazda and while it was pretty good, I didn't care for the stiff ride and even stiffer price. After our test drive in the Elantra however, we were both so impressed with it that the Honda got nothing more than a look at the sticker. That alone was enough for us to realize that we'd be wasting our time taking it out. Keep in mind too, that the Honda was even on the same lot as the Hyundai!

I should take a step back and note that our other car is a 98 Chrysler Intrepid (Canadian car). We have always loved this car for it's ride and roominess and frankly never believed that we'd ever consider riding in something small again. What an utter shock we had when we took our "no-salesman present" test drive!

I was so impressed with our drive, that not only did we decide to buy the Elantra right there and then, but further we decided that we would keep the Elantra as our car and give our 98 Intrepid to our son! Beyond the bargain basement price of this car with options in, I was FLOORED by the quality of the ride and handling!

I didn't think it was possible that a compact car could have such a ride. We've had compact rentals recently while the Intrepid had been in for service (Saturn and Ford Focus to name two) and both had left shivers up my spine. If this little car can maintain it's reliability over the long term, I will truly become a Hyundai advocate. So now it's up to Hyundai to prove if they truly are a better company than they were in days gone by.

I will post my own long term roadtest articles as time (and mileage go by). To start though I can tell you since I purchase my little E car last Thursday, I have put 400 miles on it. We took a trip from Bedford, NH to the White Mountain Region this past Saturday. The sun was out, the car drove, handled and road like a dream. Absoultely NO driver fatigue whatsoever on almost a 300 mile trip. I might add that I'm 6'1". That's all for now. I'm happy to join the club of the proud owners of a Hyundai Elantra.

Oh yes...my son...well, he's started talking to me again and the reality that he'll have a nice car waiting for him has started to settle in. He's really happy about the $3000 stereo system I put in to it. He's still a little miffed about not having a new car. Geesh, spoiled kid! lol
  • Well I just traded in my black 1999 New Beetle for the 2002 Hyundai Elantra GLS. Mine is black with grey interior. I guess Package 3? It has cruise control, keyless entry, CD player, power windows and mirrors, etc. Lots of nice things. I just bought it last week and so far I've put 500 miles on the car (I commute a lot) and it's been running smooth with no problems. Looks pretty sleek. This is my first non-VW car so we'll see how the future with Hyundai is going to look. The car was great for the price range and seemed like it was nice in the test drive. Very smooth. Corners were a bit weird but overall it was good considering other cars of its class. Much nicer warranty than VW as well. Hopefully the future will be bright...
  • th003gth003g Posts: 149
    why did you trade in the beetle? and vw enthusiasts are gonna ask... FOR a HYUNDAI? hahaha we know y u chose hyundai
  • dmickdmick Posts: 28
    I just purchased an Ocean blue Elantra GLS with option 5 pkg ( abs and traction control).I'am very please with the car, but I'm disappointed in Hyundai for making me travel far to get the car I wanted. There were 3 dealers closer to my home and no one attempted to get me a car with the ABS brake pkg, except the one I did by from. There should be better availablility of the ABS pkg. since it's so hard to find. I think the car is a sleeper as far as quality and reliability, but time will tell. I plan on keeping this car for 8 or more years, based on my other car purchases.
    Don't blame Hyundai, blame the dealers. But you are correct, ABS should be available more. Is it still packaged such that you cannot buy it with CD/keyless/moonroof?
  • Where did you buy your GT at in Colorado? I'm thinking of trading in my 01 GT for a 03 when it comes out. I had nothing but troubles with the engine like coming on every month. My 01 was a program car with 11,000 miles on it and thats why they trade it back to the dealership with such a low miles on it. I won't buy nothing from Phillong Hyundai dealership in the Springs, because they don't treat their customers right in the service dept.
    I answered my own question yesterday with a trip to the dealer. They had at least one '02 GLS with ABS and CD, keyless, etc.
  • I purchased my 2002 Elantra GT on October 1st and I am still taking the long way home, Treating her to 92O gas and a wash and wax whenever I think she needs it. (She loves the special attention my five year old pays to her wheels, his little fingers can get into the smallest nooks and crannies to get out stones and grit) I absolutely love this car. I just placed a little bit of heaven on my street.

There is nothing else this luxurious under 15K or 20K for that matter.

GET ONE!!!!!!!!!
  • Just got the 02 GT after trading-in our 02 Civic. The exterior of the GT has nothing special, but its interior just won us all over. We love all the stuff that we might only get from luxury cars, and of course, the quiet and comfort ride makes the ride so much enjoyable. Good luck everyone and hope the GT can be this way for a long time.
  • Just purchased a 03 Gt and am enjoying the heck out of it.
    Still a little tentative in the turns.
    Mostly quiet motor with grunt in second and third.
    takes some getting used to...
This discussion has been closed.