Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hyundai Elantra Owners: Meet the Members

Comments

• We've got the Sulev engine in ours (jimbeaumi sez there's only one engine available in the '03's, but my owner's manual shows two). It was quiet to begin with,and after 2500 miles, seems to be even quieter! It's got enough pep in it for me. Gotta believe once it gets it's first oil change it'll be quieter still. I've had many four cylinder cars and really it's hard to compare one to another.
      Manual sez to avoid gas with ethanol. Anymore that's tough to do. There are a chain of stations around here called Speedway that people seem to think gives better gas mileage and it's gas doesn't have ethanol. Shell's supposed to be good, too. For as long as I've been driving and that's a long time I've used BP. Now people are telling me it's junk gas and I noticed it had ethanol in it, too! Aiyiyi! Anyone any thoughts on the gas situation?!
      By the way, waxed mine with the Turtle wax yesterday. Shines nice. Might just try the Zymol next time, tho. Very satisfied with the Turtle wax, tho.
  • jimbeaumijimbeaumi Posts: 620
    Jimbeau sez this because there was no information regarding two engines in 2003. People in this forum have been discussing it for some time and only 2004 models have been mentioned. It is very possible that they started using the engine very late in the 2003 model year, but no one here has mentioned seeing them on the lots either.
  • how do I figure which engine my 03 has?
  • I just went and look at my sticker and it just says 2.0L DOHC 16 Valve Engine. I know my cars build date is Oct 2002
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,909
    This has been discussed in the main topic (Hyundai Elantra)--probably a better place for this discussion anyway. For '04, the Elantra engine is the Beta 2.0L engine with VVT in two variants: SULEV with 132 hp, and a ULEV version with 138 hp. Before that, from '99-'03 anyway, there was only one Elantra engine, the 2.0L Beta engine w/o VVT that was originally rated at 140 hp and then re-rated by Hyundai (oops) at 135 hp.
  • I guess Im trying to see what I lostif anything going from the 95 Glanat to the 03 Elantra performance wise. Specs on the 95 Galant engine are:

# Base Number of Cylinders: 4
    # Base Engine Size: 2.4 liters
    # Base Engine Type: Inline 4
    # Horsepower: 141 hp
    # Max Horsepower: 5500 rpm
    # Torque: 148 ft-lbs.
    # Max Torque: 3000 rpm
    # Drive Type: FWD

I do remember that when driving the Galants engine seemed a lot quieter than the Elantra.
    Isn't this a moot point now? You bought the Elantra, right? My advice is, enjoy it and stop the second-guessing.

However, if you insist on comparing performance of the two cars, you need to use figures such as power-to-weight ratio that equalize the differences between the two cars.
  • Yes I have purchased the car, i dont hate it just havent had a new car in a long time and never a Hyundai. My only reference point to compare is the last car I owned which was the 95 Galant. Im not complaining just want to make sure I don't judge the Hyundai unfairly. Understand what I mean?
  • I cant believe it would be that easy to gain 5 HP

http://webhome.idirect.com/~trini/car/freehp.html
  • Ellendry may well be right in what's being seen at the car lots, but may I refer to page 9-2 of the '03 Elantra owners manual. My manual was published Nov.12, 2002. It clearly states TWO different engines. Granted there's very little difference between the two, and by the sounds of it, we all have the Sulev engine. Must not be a clearcut answer here. Besides, as Backy pretty much said, we've got what we've got, enjoy it. And I do enjoy mine very much!! Tough to compare one manufacturers 4 cylinder with another's.
       What kind of gas mileage are all of you getting? The last I checked it was 30 mpg, combined city and highway. Since then I've switched from BP to Speedway(which might be owned by Marathon). I'll let you all know soon if it seems to have made a difference.
       Have noticed as a fellow worker who owns an '01 Elantra GT, the heater will cook you it's so warm, and the AC will freeze you it's so cold. I like both of those very much!!
      After one month's ownweship, I don't have a single complaint.
    Could the two different engines on the '02 model be one for regular emissions and one for CA and other states that require lower emissions? What did the manual say about these two different engines? What did the window sticker on your car say about the engine, e.g. how much hp did it have? (If you kept the sticker--I like to keep the stickers on all my cars.)

I am getting consistently 28-29 mpg on my 5-speed '01 GLS in mostly city driving, but on the last tank I got 30. I almost always use 87 octane from Super America, which is owned by Marathon I believe. It contains ethanol year-round I think.

The heater and a/c are the best I've ever experienced on a car. The heater warms up within one mile even in zero weather (right before I jump on the freeway) and the a/c is ice cold, I ususally run it at the lowest fan setting and even turn the temperature up a bit unless the car has been sitting in the sun on a hot day for awhile.

I am a little concerned about the mod that purports to give 5 more mpg. My concern is, what would Hyundai say about it if there is an engine problem under warranty? Even if it has nothing to do with the problem, they could say, sorry, you modified the engine so you voided the warranty. I also wonder why Hyundai put those parts in the car if they serve no useful purpose and detract from horsepower.
  • Backy it says that it gives 5 more HP not MPG if I read it right. Not that I plan to try thr mod, was just curious if anyone had tried it.
    Sorry, I meant hp.
  • well I have to say that im about to hit 1200 miles and I noticed last night when I took my car for a midnight drive that it has really loosened up and even more fun to drive than before. The engine has quieted and performance from stand still is noticebly improved :D I didnt want to go home haha but I think my wife would had a few choice words for me if I didnt :P
    That is interesting--I think 1200-1600 miles is where I really noticed the engine and shifter loosening up a lot on my GLS.
  • Cool maybe I get an extra burst soon :) LOL.
  • Guys I wanted to treat my dash, doors etc early on so that they dont get damaged over time from the sun, heat etc. I neglected to do this with my old car and it got really bad. I could have sworn that I heard somewhere that Armor all was not as good as once thought and it causes damage over time. Any truth to this? what do you guys use? Thx
  • Backy, may have confused everyone, my manual was printed 11/02, my car's an '03, made in May of '03.
       Ellendry, I've used Armorall on my '92 Caravan since we bought it brand new, and the interior still looks great. When we bought a Ford Granada back in the dark ages, we did nothing to the interior and it showed!
       Will probably use it on the Elantra.
  • Obsidian in post #94 you said that you have an 03 and it has the SULEV engine? I have a 03 but mine is the ULEV engine. I live in Louisiana, where do you live?
  • Karen_SKaren_S Posts: 5,095
    If anyone is thinking about shopping for the holidays and just don't know what to get that special person who has everything, I have a suggestion! Edmunds.com Strategies for Smart Car Buyers is now available to purchase!!! Get one for all your family, friends, and don't forget one for yourself.

I received my copy the other day and it is a pretty slick publication. I wonder what the reaction the dealers may have if I bring it along as a reference during my next vehicle purchase?
    ;-)

Please share any comments and observations in the Edmunds.com's New Book: Strategies for Smart Car Buyers discussion in News & Views.

Edmunds Manager UGC Click on my screen name to send a personal message. Need help navigating? Check out Getting Started in Edmunds Forums.
    Need help picking out a make/model, finding inventory, or advice on pricing? Talk to an Edmunds Car Shopping Advisor

• themanxthemanx Posts: 110
    I could not resist and just placed an order for a book for myself Karen!

thanks!

ElantraStan
  • Karen_SKaren_S Posts: 5,095
    That's great! Please be sure to stop by that discussion in N&V and let us know what you think.

Edmunds Manager UGC Click on my screen name to send a personal message. Need help navigating? Check out Getting Started in Edmunds Forums.
    Need help picking out a make/model, finding inventory, or advice on pricing? Talk to an Edmunds Car Shopping Advisor

• Hi guys,

In October 2002 I bought a 2002 Elantra GL. In Canada the GLS is called VE, the GL is a less equipped version of the GLS you have in the US. No power windows, no A/C, no cruise control and no ABS brakes. Since I was shopping for a larger car than an accent or Toyota Echo but with a low price tag, the Elantra was the perfect car for me.

So far I love the car very much. The manual transmission is very smooth and the low end torque is high enough for city and highway driving to be pleasant. I'm very surprised about the quietness of the interior.

Since I got the car I travelled 20 100km (12500mi) without major problems. The check engine lit once due to a defective catalyst. The performance wasn't affected but the dealer changed the whole piece under warranty. Hopefully, it was under warranty, the part alone cost 900$ plus work would have been a 1200$ bill. Very pleased about the service at the dealer.

As for fuel consumption, so far I'm at 8,2L/100km (28.7 mpg) but the winter is very rough around here and they say winter tires increase fuel consumption. I also have a remote car starter which influence the fuel consumption.

The only regret I have about that car is that I should have bought the VE with all power options and A/C. The price difference wasn't that high and I would have had less plastic in the interior which cracks a little sometimes when it gets cold outside.
  • int0jesusint0jesus Posts: 3
    Hello everyone. Just want to say I just bought a 2004 Elantra GT 5 Door and i couldn't be more happier. This seems like a cool place to learn more about my new car. I hope to gain a wealth of knowledge from you guys. Yay!
  • smith20smith20 Posts: 256
    Pretty much the same as int0jesus (#117) . . . just got a silver 2004 Elantra GT Hatchback yesterday and we're loving it. Great car at a great price . . . couldn't ask for more. We truly believe Edmunds helped us to research the right car for us and to find the car at the right price.
  • Hi, I just bought a used 2000 elantra and I would like to find out more about it. I would like to know when service is required and if there is any warranty left on it. It has 51000 miles on it, I think that what it is. There was no book or anything with it. I live in southern IL.

catbabe
    Welcome to the ranks of Elantra owners! Regarding service, you might ask your local dealer if they could copy the warranty schedule for you (make sure it's the manufacturer's schedule, not the dealer's) or could call Hyundai (1-800-826-CARS) and see if they could mail you a schedule. As for warranty, it's possible there's still some of the 5-year, 60,000 mile bumper-to-bumper warranty left, depending on original purchase date. Your title should show the original purchase date.
  • john_wjohn_w Posts: 72
    Hi, I’m not exactly new to the Elantra discussion boards, but this seems to be the place where owners introduce themselves or at least announce that they’ve just bought one.

I took a long bus ride to Reno on Tuesday (winter solstice) and drove back in my new 2005 tidal wave blue Elantra GLS 5-door (5-speed manual) with cruise control, stereo upgrade, ABS with traction control, and carpeted floor mats.

I paid TMV + tax – rebate.

I researched cars for 3 months. Most of that research was at Edmunds. My short list of candidates kept changing, but they were all hatchbacks or wagons. The top of the list was at various times a Toyota Prius, Toyota Celica, Honda Civic Si GT hatchback, Scion xA, Scion xB, and Elantra GLS 5-door.

Edmunds, including these forums, I believe helped me make a good decision.

John
  • bendarbendar Posts: 1
    I read that Sept. 2002 Hyundai offered owners of all 2002 and older models in their
    line up an appeasement for misstating 4 cyl. engine size. The engines were
    actually smaller than stated.
    They offered the owners three choices:
    1) A 10 year roadside assist instead of the 5 or
    2) A 6 year/ 72000 mile basic warranty or
    3) A 12 year/120000 mile powertrain coverage
    Did anyone else read or hear anything like this? I can't seem to find the info again.
    That is not quite correct. First, the issue was over misstated horsepower. Second, the offer did not involve all 2002 and older models. 400,000 vehicles with the largest horsepower misstatement qualified for the offers you mentioned. For the others (including my '01 Elantra), there was a class action suit that resulted in Hyundai giving owners a free debit card good for Hyundai services or merchandize. Here is an article that gives some details:

http://www.planetark.com/dailynewsstory.cfm/newsid/17706/newsDate/11-Sep-2002/story.htm
This discussion has been closed.