Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Hyundai Elantra Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    bigdogbitubigdogbitu Member Posts: 39
    edited March 2011
    I wanted a white 2011 Elantra limited with a beige interior and navigation. I checked our local dealer's website inventory on a daily basis looking for it. There was no indication of receiving an Elantra with navigation in any color for almost 3 weeks! One day our contact called and said a bronze limited with navigation came in a beige interior color a few days earlier and suggested taking a look at it (he was off for two days). A few days earlier with navigation in the interior color I wanted? Although the car was not white, I bought it! I was happy our contact was on the ball and called us to come down and look at it. They also gave me a great deal on a hard to find car in December!
  • Options
    Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,971
    Have seen this combo up close & personal and man...sweet combo. The one I saw was a GLS with the nice alloys...would've bought it in a second had the wife seen it also...just outstanding car. Enjoy the ride. Luckily our time frame is such that we'll be wanting a 2012 or 2013 model so inventories should be well up to speed by then. The Indigo Ink one I saw in the back lot looked nice also, or was it that purplish color...not quite sure now but sweet just the same. Hyundai's hit a grand slam with this vehicle & I for one, couldn't be happier. Just have to wait now...that's the hard part! :(

The Sandman :) :sick: :shades:

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• Options
    califasramsfancalifasramsfan Member Posts: 31
    Hyundai's Elantra stock is very limited here in Central Cali. I've been looking at dealership inventories in So Cal and its just as light. What gives? Did Hyundai release the Elantra this past December knowing they didn't have enough stock? It doesn't make sense during a time of year that lots of folks are ready to buy a new vehicle. And now they are getting rave reviews on a vehicle that isn't available!

I'm looking for the Limited and those are even more scarce so I may have to wait until this summer and buy a 2012 Elantra instead.
    Hyundai should have called the 2011 a 2012 anyway like Kia did with some of their models last year.
  • Options
    backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    edited March 2011
    Hyundai started selling the new Elantra in 2010, so it cannot be called a 2012 model. Which Kia models that started selling in 2010 were called 2012 models? I'm not aware of any. For example, the new Optima that rolled out about the same time as the new Elantra is a 2011 model.

One reason stocks may be slim is popularity. With 87 octane at $3.55 today in the Twin Cities and I'm sure more in CA, a car that is rated at 40 mpg highway and has many other plusses should be popular right now.
  • Options
    igozoomzoomigozoomzoom Member Posts: 801
    Hyundai sold 12,289 Elantras last month, which is 54% more than they sold in February 2010. They are manufactured at the Hyundai plant in Montgomery, Alabama, which is also where they make the current Sonata. They are, quite literally, selling faster than they can build them!

Hyundai execs have acknowledged that they plan to import additional Elantra inventory from South Korea to meet the demand. As a long term solution, Hyundai plans to build a second factory here within a few years.
    2015.5 Volvo S60 T6 Drive-E Platinum, 2012 Mazda CX-9 GT
  • Options
    We purchased a 2011 Kia Sorento last August, a vehicle Kia had begun selling in January 2010 and called it a 2011.
    Just the fact that Hyundai is still advertising 2010 Elantras going into the second quarter of 2011 is another reason for my comment. In our are they have more 2010s than 2011s and its not because they can't keep the new elantra on the lot, its because they just aren't recieving any stock.
    Don't get me wrong, I plan on buying the new elantra...when it becomes available.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    The Sorento is a good example of what I was talking about. Kia began selling it in January 2010. Thus they could legally call it a 2011 model, since it debuted in 2010. If they started selling it one month earlier, in 2009, they could not have called it a 2011. Another example is the 2011 Sonata. Hyundai started selling them around Super Bowl time last year--so very early in the year. But called it a 2011 model.

Hyundai decided to start selling the new Elantra during 2010, hence it's a 2011 model. Very simple.

Lots of dealers are advertising 2010 models now. I saw an ad the other day from a local Toyota dealer offering a great price on about 40 left-over 2010 Corollas. The same day I saw ads for local Dodge/Chrysler dealers offering great discounts on new 2010 models. Until very recently, I saw ads for new 2010 Elantras in my area.
  • Options
    zebzeb Member Posts: 57
    Hello,
    Just starting out the research, but the lowest price that I've been quoted so far on a 2011 Elantra GLS automatic with Preferred package = $17, 417 ($18,711 out the door). The invoice price is $16,519 (not including preferred package).

Scrolling through this forum, it seems like people are getting this car for less, or a Limited for the same price...am I way off base here, or have the prices gone up?

Other than going through Tru Price, Edmunds, etc...not sure where else to get my numbers from. Any advice would be welcome, thanks! I'm in Michigan, if that makes a difference.

Sarah
  • Options
    supersize1supersize1 Member Posts: 10
    edited March 2011
    You won't be able to get a limited most likely for less than 18,9ish before taxes. At that price your getting a really REALLY great deal. Honestly you should be looking to get about 1000 below the MSRP (Sticker Price) to be getting a really solid price.

If you want the preferred package, you need to stop basing your pricing on the base model package. They will not throw in the preferred package for free, as well as I think pretty much all GLS's are getting sold with that package because of the basic's like A/C.

Sarah I am in Michigan as well! I'm on the west side of the state and had a poor dealing with the Fox Dealership in Grand Rapids. We ended up going with the truecar quoted person of Jon @ Randy Wise (Internet sales guy) Hyundai over in flint. I did all my dealing wtih them via phone and email. Easy to deal with. Best price by far. We ended up ordering ours to get exactly what we wanted, but they are worth a shot. The drive was well worth the deal, and not the typical bait tactics that Fox provided me.
  • Options
    steven39steven39 Member Posts: 636
    hi sarah,my girlfriend down here in south florida recently purchased your same exact car..2011 hyundai elantra gls with auto,and the prefered package...she got the car for $16,800.00 plus TTT and dealer fee's..msrp on this car was $18,478.00 so i think she got a pretty good deal.
  • Options
    zebzeb Member Posts: 57
    HI Supersize,
    Thanks for the response...to be clear, I was talking about the GLS (it just seemed that in reading older posts, people were getting deals like that on the Limited too).

I've based my price on invoice + preferred package ($500). If invoice is $16,519 + $500 = $17,019 and I've been quoted $17,417. Plus, is 'invoice' truly invoice, or is their wiggle room?

Funnily enough, I also talked to Randy Wise (Jon) - he's the one who quoted me that price. Another dealership (where I bought my Santa Fe 3 years ago) quoted me $18,000, so Randy Wise is almost $600 less. Nice to see you had a good experience with them! I was hoping my closer place (we're ni Ann Arbor area) would match their price, we'll see. Still have to test drive it, etc...

Thanks again
    Sarah
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    How many cars have y'all been through now? Seems like every year y'all have a new model. Did she buy at Coconut Creek this time? We've purchased one car there so far & will attempt the Elantra next year if that's what the wife buys. But I don't minding driving a bit to Gunther if need be, or even Rick Case but they seem kinda slimy to me. C C is literally across the street from our development so we like to give them 1st shot at any business, since we'd do our service & warranty stuff there anyways. The one we like is the GLS with Preferred Package & alloys.

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• Options
    chingachinga Member Posts: 5
    which dealership in south florida did she get the $16,800 price? Also, what was the total price including all the fees and tax?
  • Options
    here's the breakdown of my girlfriends recent purchase of a 2011 hyundai elantra gls with auto,and the prefered package.

msrp=$18,478.00
    dealer final price=$16,800.00..there was no trade-in involved since she sold her 04 mazda miata privatly..florida sales tax is $1010.00.
    dealer fee=399.00
    tag and title fee's came to $250.00...grand total was $18,459.00.OTD........selling dealership was lehman hyundai in north miami beach,fla and this deal inlcuded free oil changes for life which sweetened the deal..hope this info helps...steve
  • Options
    toons01toons01 Member Posts: 7
    Due to low availability, I haven't been able to test drive one.

has anyone purchased a Limited with Nav lately? is the NAV system dvd or hard drive based? does it take voice commands?

Dealer said I could order one, but how do you negotiate a price for car in such high demand?

for those who have test driven, or own the car, how does the engine perform? While I'm excited about the mileage, I'm concerned about the power/accerlation. NYC has agressive drivers and very short on ramps.

sorry...lots of questions...
  • Options
    Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    If you recently purchased a car and got a better loan than you expected, please email pr@edmunds.com to talk with a reporter about it. Please respond with your daytime contact information no later than Tuesday, March 8, 2011.
    Thanks,
    Jeannine
    Corporate Communications
    Edmunds.com

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Options
    FWIW, the engine on all the 2011 Elantra sedans is the same. So if you want to find out if it's peppy enough for you, you can test drive any trim for that. For ride/handling, though, the different tire sizes could make a difference between trims.
  • Options
    hughjorganhughjorgan Member Posts: 1
    Working with 4 dealerships (via phone and internet only for now) and no one is going lower than a hundred at best off MSRP. I know this car is hard to find now, and it's a seller’s market, but no one is giving in. If I hear one more time "oh, we had 5 scheduled to ship and sold 4 of them already before they even hit the lot..." I'm going to punch someone :) j/k

Are there that many people out there just willing to pay MSRP and just don't care. I guess I'll have to wait until the supply overshadows the demand and try to get a good deal. This is in Wisconsin BTW.

Oh yeah, here is a classic example of bait and switch (via their website). One dealer has a Limited starting at 20,148 (great price considering how it is now) and than they show (HMF Cash Bonus of 1,000 off) now we are down to 19,148 on a Limited (no Navi I assume). So I email them and ask for a quote, get back a listing with best deal on the same car as 20,845.

Not to mention the HMF Bonus cash only applies to the 2010 line. Will they say "typo"?
  • Options
    joegiantjoegiant Member Posts: 90
    I'm planning ahead. On December the 30th or 31st of this year, I'm going to march into one of these dealerships after phone/email rope-ah-dope dance of course, sign papers and take one of these "40mpg on the highway!" Elantras home. Am I going to pay MSRP or anything close to it? I think not. Figure the 12's will be in abundance by then and the "2011's MUST GO!!!" scene will be upon us. Hoping for a really snowy night too with backy's MinnesOOOTa cold winds as a bonus. Whadduh circus. Nothing else in this country is anything quite like buying a car. ;)
  • Options
    You could try bringing other cars into the fray, e.g. Sentra and Cruze, but supply and demand does rule. I just checked the Fitzmall site, as they tend to have good deals. Their best price on a Limited is only $1100 off MSRP, but on many Limiteds they are only offering a few hundred off. So it must be a tight market. Something to do with gas near $4 a gallon perhaps...
  • Options
    adeelzqadeelzq Member Posts: 9
    The dealer in Houston says the best price is the sticker price on the Elantra GLS with Navigation Package and Preferred Package. The only thing they can do is actually throw in free tinting.

The MSRP is $20,320.00

Any suggestions since the dealer makes it look like not to bother with further negotiations.

I personally feel a little guilty fetching more than 20000 on an elantra but i freaking love the car especially compared to its competitors like the corolla, civic, cruze, etc
  • Options
    I would never pay MSRP for a car unless I was filthy loaded and didn't care about the $$$. This supply and demand thing is temporary and only exists because Hyundai has not fully released the 2011 Elantra. The ones tickling into the dealerships are being picked up quickly because customers are excited about the new look, safety features combined with 40 mpg that rivals more expensive hybrids!
    Shop the car around at dealerships 200 to 300 miles from where you live.
    I drove 220 miles for the last new car I purchased and saved about $2,000 from dealers in my area. Well worth the drive to me.
    I'd like to buy the Elantra Limited as well but their isn't much stock on the lots. In recent days dealership websites began listing much more stock that says "Alabama". I take that to mean the stock they are listing is what they have ordered from the Alabama factory and should be arriving soon. I'm going to wait another month or two before pulling the trigger in hopes the playing field is much more balanced. I'm willing to drive a few hundred miles for this one too.
  • Options
    newhartfordnewhartford Member Posts: 49
    Just drove home with a Gray 2011 Hyundai Elantra GLS automatic with the PEP package, floor mats, Ipod cable, and wheel locks. Price was a no haggle $16,999 at Simmons-Rockwell in Big Flats NY (near Elmira). Took delivery right off the truck. Nice folks to deal with - my salesman was Cole. They post their inventory and the "You Pay" price on their website.
  • Options
    joegiantjoegiant Member Posts: 90
    That's a good price. Fitzmall's about $800 more at the moment but as noted in a previous post, it's a supply and demand kinda thing. Still thinking Boxer Day to New Year's Eve is my "trigger time". Hoping the 12's are coming out by then in FULL SUPPLY. Will make these soon-to-be-here 11's purrrrfect for me. I don't give a rat about the year's depreciation if it's a good car. Run 'em 'til they drop I do.
  • Options
    postnobillspostnobills Member Posts: 43
    It might not really be $800 less than Fitzmall: When you go to their website it implies the $16,999 price includes a $500 Hyundai owners rebate whereas I think the Fitz price is before any such rebate. Also, Fitzmall charges only $100 dealer prep; I wonder what these guys charge?
  • Options
    imkramerimkramer Member Posts: 26
    There are no current rebates available on the 2011 Elantra (except for the $500 Military Cash which most folks wouldn't qualify for). But I would like to know what Simmons-Rockwell's dealer/doc fee is, as I'm sure with their "no-haggle" price you wouldn't be able to negotiate that fee away.
  • Options
    newhartfordnewhartford Member Posts: 49
    OK here is the deal:

$16,999 Sales price
    $1487.41 Sales tax (8.75%)
    $75 Documentation Fee
    $172.50 Plates and registration (new)
    $10 NY State Inspection
    $12.50 NY State Tire tax

$18,756.41 Total
  • Options
    Looks like a great deal....the doc fee was minimal.
  • Options
    I might pull the trigger on the following purchase tomorrow:

2011 Elantra Limited w/ Prem Pkg, Floor Mats, and iPod Cable
    Titanium Gray Ext. / Black Leather Int.
    MSRP $22,830

Deal:
    $21,250 (Car as noted above)
    $249.95 Doc Fee
    $1505 Tax
    $18 Tag/Registration
    $23,022.95 Out The Door

Only thing is I have to travel 100 miles to this dealer. Only one other dealer can get the exact same car and color combo for me. That dealer, who is about 15 miles away, is asking exactly $700 more for the exact same car (it'll be arriving any day now on his lot), and he won't/can't match the other's price. These 2 dealers are the only ones within a reasonable distance who have/can get the car and colors I am looking for anytime soon. Seems to be worth the extra drive to me. What do you think? I'm gonna sleep on it tonight.
  • Options
    srcoop22srcoop22 Member Posts: 4
    I think this is a good offer, but I wanted to run it by you guys first. I have a dealer down to $20,980 for a Limited w/ Navigation. After taxes, title, and processing fee, my OTD cost would be $21,917. The car isn't there yet, but if I want the deal I would need to put down a deposit. I have arleady driven a GLS so I'm not worried that I won't like the car, just strage putting a deposit on one that I haven't even seen in person yet. What does everyone think?
  • Options
    Be sure the deposit arrangement stipulates that you have the right of refusal and a refund of your deposit after driving/inspecting the car. Most dealers will do that. Better to put the deposit on a credit card--then if you do need to reject the car and the dealer refuses to refund the deposit, you can challenge the charge to the cc company.
  • Options
    Thanks for your reply backy.... do the price sound resonable for a Limited with nav? I haven't been able to find hardly anyone that has purchased one to see what they paid.
  • Options
    Hard to tell since there are so few comparative sales. One way to tell if you have the best price for your area is, first, be sure to shop all of your local dealers and pit them against each other. :) When you've found what you think is the best deal, offer to buy right then and there for a few hundred less. If they say "no" and let you walk out the door, it's likely you've hit their bottom price. It's a popular car now in relatively low supply, so hard to get great deals now.
  • Options
    smalltownsmalltown Member Posts: 75
    The three closest dealers for me are 80-100 miles away in three different directions. So cross-shopping is expensive and time-consuming for me. So if I get a decent price from any dealer over the Web, I take it. If I want to visit all three dealers, it will take me a couple of days plus putting 600 miles on my car.
  • Options
    Email and phone.

When I shopped for a lease deal on a Sentra last year, I only visited one dealer. But I talked with a few others on the phone and over email. You might be surprised how much negotiating can be done that way. While I was sitting in the dealership, one of the other dealers called me and asked what they could do to get my business. That was really good timing, since I was sitting with the salesperson at the time. I was able to get a great deal, about $70 less per month than their starting price, because I could use the quotes from the other dealers as leverage.

Of course, for this to work, more than one dealer has to have a car you want to buy.
  • Options
    smalltownsmalltown Member Posts: 75
    But is the extra savings going to be substantial enough for me to take another half day off work and drive an extra 200 miles? The dealers around here know that too, and take that into account.
  • Options
    They only know what you tell them or imply to them. Some people WILL go 200 miles for a better deal. How do they know you aren't one of those people?

But, it's your time, and your money.
  • Options
    catbro1catbro1 Member Posts: 1
    I'd appreciate input on True Volume Dealers. Purchased from Fitzmall in past below invoice with mfg rebate, but their current Elantra prices aren't that great a deal. Searched for "Volume Dealers" and most that claim to be that I've contacted are the same old, come into the dealership and lets talk. I'm working strictly on numbers, no financing, no trade in. I'm looking for the dealers who are willing to take away business from other dealers for the value of the holdback. Thanks for any help.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Update: I gave the local dealer one last shot at coming close to the offer I had from the dealer 100 miles away. Working directly with the GM the whole time, the most he could do was $100 off his previous final offer. So, on Saturday, my wife and I made the trip to the dealer 100 miles away and it worked out great. Not only were these folks really friendly and excellent to work with, we wound up saving a total of $950 over the local dealer (when comparing the total deal including my trade). They had the EXACT vehicle I was looking for (BTW, they were the only dealer w/in at least 150 miles with it in stock at the moment), the gave me the best deal on the purchase side AND also the best offer on the trade side. And after driving off from the dealership I immediately began enjoying my new NAV and as I let it lead us to a GREAT southern BBQ joint nearby before heading home. :D
  • Options
    bigdogbitubigdogbitu Member Posts: 39
    edited March 2011
    Awesome!

I have a limited w/navi purchased in December! No regrets! Enjoy your ride!

BTW: noticed my local dealer reported 24 Elantras in stock!
  • Options
    Congrats on your great deal!

I think I am at the rock bottom of offers for the Limited with nav. I have had several dealerships tell me they cannot go lower and are letting me walk. I would say $20,980 is the best I'm going to get on it. Hopefully it will be in soon so I can start enjoying it!

PS - Anyone wanna buy an '09 Toyota Corolla? lol
  • Options
    igozoomzoomigozoomzoom Member Posts: 801
    Actually $20,980 looks like a very good deal, based on Edmunds TMV and TrueCar.com. TrueCar prices it at $21,692 and Edmunds is $2 more. Considering that they've had to start importing them from South Korea because they can't keep up with demand with production from the Alabama plant, it's a miracle that they're dealing much at all!

As for the '09 Corolla, did they not offer a decent trade-in price?
    2015.5 Volvo S60 T6 Drive-E Platinum, 2012 Mazda CX-9 GT
  • Options
    I never asked about a trade because I can get more out of selling the car. I have had a few people look at it already and the Limited hasn't come in yet anyway so I still have some time. If I can't sell it I will need tosee if they are willing to work out a trade, but they say you should never bring up a trade until you have got them to their bottom line price so they can't charge you more for the new car.
  • Options
    just returned from my local hyundai dealership to check out a 2011 elantra gls with auto,and the prefered package includeing floor mats,i-pod cable,ilumminated ignition,ect...msrp is $18,480.00......dealer says best they can do right now at the moment given the fact that the elantra is in such short supply and a very hot selling car would be $18,199.00..hardly any discount at all so i left the dealership and will continue researching prices from dealers in the area where i live in broward county florida.....thank you.......
  • Options
    gdaf123gdaf123 Member Posts: 4
    FYI, I just got an internet quote yesterday from Hyundai of Tempe (in AZ):

List: 18398
    Quote: 16747

I would assume you can find a similar deal in FL.
  • Options
    sounds like you got a great price in arizona.is this for a gls model??
  • Options
    COIN DETECTED IN POCKET!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    $20,980 is a solid price based on current market conditions. What additional fees are they charging (doc fees etc.) beyond that figure?

BTW, I'm am enjoying my ride (keep in mind I traded in a well-equiped 2007 G35 Journey). So for me not to be complaining really says something for the car. And I'm averaging 37-38 mpgs thus far. :D
  • Options
    jjcgirljjcgirl Member Posts: 1
    I've been shopping for a Limited w/ Premium Package recently. I have pitted all the dealers within my house and my parents, and my boyfriends parents against eachother via phone and email. From my house to my parents is 200+ miles; my shopping area basically covers about half of the state at this point. The best offer I got was about 20,900. CostoCo has a good car buy program if you're a member, they'll at least offer invoice. Consumer Reports also has a program that you can get a guaranteed no hassle quote (with free delivery) from dealers within a couple hundred miles. And amazingly I got the best price from a dealer almost 230 miles away through AOL's car site (My dad actually gave them my email and I got quite a few emails about the car very quickly and they were all very competitive), again free delivery up to 250 miles. So just because you live in a town with only one dealer close, don't feel like you have to go to them or take time off to talk to other dealers. let them come to you!
  • Options
    Try Kelly, the internet person at Coconut Creek Hyundai...though I know that their inventory is a bit low. Bought our daughter's Accent there.