Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Hyundai Elantra Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    gdaf123gdaf123 Member Posts: 4
    Yes, gls.
  • Options
    lcw1lcw1 Member Posts: 36
    Why this big discrepancy in the limited prices. In Florida Kendall Hyundai advertises one 2011 Hyundai Elantra Limited for $18,480 and one for 16,930 and a 3rd one for $20,230.
    Does the Limited have such a wide variety of features? Of course the features listed on the website are all the same so no telling.
    lcw
  • Options
    backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    I think it's likely their posted prices are messed up, and the $18,480 car is really a GLS AT, the one for $20,230 is a Limited, and the one for $16,930 is probably a GLS with a stick. Just a guess.
  • Options
    Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,971
    This is probably the way we'd want...alloys are a must...in that dark gray color or maybe even that tan color...both look beautiful up close! Just hit 87k on the Mazda so it'll be sometime in later 2012 I'm thinking...will not buy the 1st year model if I can help it anymore! My preferred time frame is between Thanksgiving and New Years day...did this with a Nissan Altima once & we were the lone folks in the dealership the three times we went in. I won't take a car the day I but it, just a perk with me...they usually get it pdi'd & cleaned up when I come to pick it up the next day. Tell them to put it in the back if they don't want it to sit with a "sold" sign in it...never had a problem yet...we usually pay cash any ways by using a credit card & certified bank check. Dealers usually are happy to take our money since no financing is required & we try to make it all so simple.

South Florida usually has a good supply of colors/models when we are ready to but...very car conscience down here just like California!

The Sandman :) :sick: :shades:

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• Options
    tinku2011tinku2011 Member Posts: 1
    I just a got 2011 Elantra GLS AT with preferred package plus wheel locks, ipod cable and floor mats for $17250 Out the door price. This includes taxes,tags everything. I also get life time free oil changes and free state safety inspections. what do you think about the deal?
  • Options
    gdaf123gdaf123 Member Posts: 4
    That seems like a good deal. what was the price excluding TTL & dest? Where did you purchase?
  • Options
    bbell40941bbell40941 Member Posts: 20
    Not a good assumption. I don't know about in Florida, but here in San Diego, a mere 300 miles from Tempe, there are few cars and the ones they have on the ground are going for sticker. I just went to Tempe's website and asked for a quote. We'll say what they tell me. Hell, for that price I'd pay them to ship it!
  • Options
    steven39steven39 Member Posts: 636
    what was the price before TTT????was there a trade-in involved with this price??
  • Options
    just returned with a friend of mine from a local hyundai dealership down here in south fla to check out a 2011 elantra gls with the prefered pack which includes the i-pod cable,floor mats,
    and also a auto tranny.......msrp is $18,480.00 and dealer would not budge from the msrp.my friend said he's never paid msrp for a car in his life and is not going to start now..dealers said,"i don't know what to tell you sir"and that inventory levels are very low for the elantra right now so they can't discount the car until levels come back up..right now he said that the elantra is the hottest selling car and is even begining to out-sell the sonata..if you were to ask me several years ago that the koreans would be building a car that commands full sticker price and that is selling like hot=cakes i would have laughed in your face.they certainly have come a long way...
  • Options
    sockerssockers Member Posts: 4
    Hello,

First of all I usually 2nd guess myself when I make a decision. Having said that I just bought a 2011 Elantra GLS with the preferred package. I bought in in Lansing, Mi 48917. The cars at the dealership are moving pretty fast (there was only one left) so I wasn't really sure how much wiggle room I had on price. Anyway the invoive price was $17,842. The sticker price was $18,484 and the TMV was $18,016. I offered $17,900 and we agreed on $18,200 before fees, sales tax, etc. If you need a breakdown of the total price I can supply it.

Since this was my first time using TMV, how do you think I did?

Thanks,

John
  • Options
    norm78norm78 Member Posts: 5
    I bought a 2011 Elantra GLS with automatic transmission, Nav package, floor mats, and ipod cable in Phantom black with grey.

I paid: $18840+TTL
    MSRP is :$20230
    Dealer cost according to truecar is: $18528

I was all set to get a 2011 Elantra GLS with auto, preferred package, mats, and ipod cable in titanium grey with grey for $17090 and saw the black I ended up purchasing. The black was supposed to be getting shipped to another dealer, buy my sales guy worked out the acquisition with the other dealer. I also did the 2.9% for 48mos. My experience at the dealer was great!
  • Options
    motonationmotonation Member Posts: 34
    I live in the central part of North Carolina (Winston-Salem). I just returned from window shopping at the local Hyundai dealership...all of their new Elantras and Sonatas have "Additional Market Adjustment" of $995 on the dealer sticker next to the mfg window sticker! I don't know what they will sell for, but I haven't seen that on a window sticker in a long time....
  • Options
    joegiantjoegiant Member Posts: 90
    Can you do me a favor? I'm too far from central North Carolina to do this so I need some help. Cruise back onto their lot sometime Monday morning, roll your window down and LAUGH IN THEIR FACE for me!!! Then throw back head and laugh to yourself as you drive off the lot.

Just wait a month or two (heck, wait three or four!) when they have these things coming outta their respective wazoos! They are mass produced automobiles for crying out loud. Absolutely NOTHING has changed. He who has the cash ultimately controls the deal. Supply and demand at the moment favor the dealers and their deceptive tactics such as the joke you've just described. Too funny. Next thing you'll see on their sticker, "You MUST buy Hyundai cars here if you live and register to vote in this county." Hilarious. :P
  • Options
    There's nothing deceptive about it. They are very clear it's additional profit to the dealership. MSRP is "Manufacturer's SUGGESTED Retail Price". Dealers set their own prices. Usually it's less than MSRP. Not always. And we can have a good laugh and go buy some other car.

It's not like Hyundai dealers invented the idea of adding onto the MSRP. That's been going on for decades for hot-selling cars. People just aren't used to seeing those stickers on Hyundais.
  • Options
    lcw1lcw1 Member Posts: 36
    Dealers often add strange fees to new cars. One in Central Florida slapped $2,500 fee and called it 'South East Adjustment'. So the sticker price on the Elantra is higher that the one on the Sonata next to it.
    The Elantra is a nice car but might not the time to buy one. Maybe it is better to wait for the 2012 Honda Civic and the 2012 Ford Focus to hit the market before buying an Elantra. Prices will adjust and manufacturer's incentive could be offered.
  • Options
    dkla76dkla76 Member Posts: 41
    what state are u in? what dealership is this? what was price before TTL?
    looks like 15700 but even invoice on that car is 17500...how can that be?
  • Options
    golfman10golfman10 Member Posts: 6
    edited April 2011
    Just bought a new Elantra GLS for the wife yesterday (bought a Sonata Limited in January for me). With Preferred Package PEP #3 (A/C, A/T, Alloy wheels, etc..), Price $17043, After taxes, license, document fee, etc out the door price was $18750. Had to wait a week to get the color (radiant silver) and PEP we wanted. Is this price in line with what others are paying? When I drove it home last night it seemed to have plenty of power and a nice firm ride. I found the interior trim and space to be similar to my Sonata. Most important the wife loves it.
  • Options
    dkla76dkla76 Member Posts: 41
    hey golfman, thats a great deal. did u get $400 grad bonus with it?
    if not how did u get 1000 below invoice?
    also could u tell me where u got this?
  • Options
    xfastxfast Member Posts: 3
    We are going to pick up our new Elantra tomorrow morning. Ours is red allure, GLS, preffered pkg, no navigation, floor mats, and wheel locks. Bought from Freeman Hyundai in Irving, this is our 3rd purchase from the salesperson. Negotiated price is $18,045 +TTL, so only $450 off sticker price, but we were offered $1500 more for our old trade (2000 Camry LE w 90k miles) than the next closest trade offer. That made it an easy choice. I figured we would end up buying at Freeman again anyway as it has always been laid back and easy doing business there.

We shopped all the competition and looked at Civics, Corollas, and Sentras. None of those 3 could compare for us. The standard equipment in the Elantra flat out blows away the competition. By the time you add in alloy wheels, blue tooth and steering wheel audio, etc, the others cost almost as much after discounts and that is for their outdated designs that are about to be replaced.

This will be our 3rd Hyundai vehicle, still have our 2009 Sonata GLS with 70k miles and it runs like a champ. Very happy with Hyundai.
  • Options
    sarah2175sarah2175 Member Posts: 76
    A couple of weeks ago I purchased a red allure, preferred package for just a little over $18K. I absolutely LOVE LOVE LOVE this car. I had bought a 2010 Elantra in October, the transmission went, so I was never fully comfortable with the car after that. I was able to work out a sweet deal at the same dealership in Williamsburg, VA.

I can't stop driving my car! :)
  • Options
    newkar3newkar3 Member Posts: 1
    edited April 2011
    All,

I rarely buy a car brand new. But considering a new elantra this time.
    I was looking at a elantra 2010 GLS PZEV and saw a deal of 14K (not OTD) in the California from a local dealer.
    Is this a good deal ?
    If I were to stick to buying used cars, how much would be a good value for a lightly used elantra from a private party.
    Any thoughts ? Thanks.
  • Options
    the tranny went out on a 2010 car???wasn't it covered under warranty.
  • Options
    Yeah, I created a post here about it. I got the car October 9th, and 1800 miles later, the tranny went. And yes, it was covered under warranty of course, but I never felt entirely comfortable after that.
  • Options
    So you feel more comfortable about the 2011 Elantra and its all-new-for-2011 6-speed automatic? :surprise:

Tranny blowouts are pretty rare on new cars. Good luck on your new baby. We'll hope that Hyundai sweated the details on the new automatic.
  • Options
    califasramsfancalifasramsfan Member Posts: 31
    I went into the local Hyundai dealership yesterday and test drove the Limited. Very nice indeed! Not very nice was the kid salesperson trying to convince me that the $3,000 mark-up above MSRP was due to this thing called Supply and Demand. He was nice enough to inform me that I could probably negotiate a sales price at just above MSRP. I politely explained to the sales rep that I would probably not be purchasing a vehicle from them and thanked him for the test drive. Honestly, not worth the hassel.

I've received two other quotes at $200 above invoice but I'll have to drive down to SoCal to get that price and the exact color option combination I'm looking for. Seems to me there may be an opportunity for further negotiation on a price closer to invoice once I'm on the lot. I'm taking the strategy of looking for dealerships that have several Elantras to pick from and not like the local boys (Central Calif) with only one. I'll let you know how it goes.
  • Options
    supersize1supersize1 Member Posts: 10
    Wondering what you ended up with Sarah? I placed my deposit at Randy Wise 7 weeks ago. I still don't have the car and have been handed a number of excuses on why I have nothing to for proof on it. We seemed to order a more rare limited being White Exterior with Black interior.

I've since shopped around and Crest Volvo / Hyundai are still 1K higher than my current price we locked in at Randy Wise for. But we could get a limited from Crest by the weekend.

I'm having difficulty sticking with waiting with no proof, and almost opting to pay the extra cash and be done with the hassle. Wondering what you came up with. Prices since we did the allocation request seem to have gone up greatly!
  • Options
    zebzeb Member Posts: 57
    Funny timing on your question - we drove ours home last night!!! I ended up with a silver GLS from Hyundai of Jackson. This is the second Hyundai I have bought from here, and it was another good experience. I worked with Andrew Ballnik (who also took care of me with my 2007 Santa Fe when I bought it, and has helped me with other items in the meantime).

Everywhere else I tried was much higher and also with the 'we don't have any in stock'. Ann Arbor Hyundai had white, red, black, and grey when I was there last week but at $1000 higher than Hyundai of Jackson and I have loyalty towards Andrew anyway. Let me know if you'd like his #.
  • Options
    Oh yeah, I feel WAY more comfortable in the 2011! I still can't believe that it's mine...I feel like I'm in a real nice rental car. Maybe when I make my first payment it'll sink in that it's mine! LOL!
  • Options
    I'm not quite sure what you are asking, what do you mean what did I end up with?
  • Options
    linaflinaf Member Posts: 1
    HI...PLEASE HELP US UNDERSTAND...WE AGREED WITH A DEALER FOR$200 (INCLUDING TAX AND MONEY FACTOR)...PLUS $1170 UP FRONT FOR BANK FEE+DMV FEE+DOC FEE+FIRST MONTH.....

WHEN WE SAW A CONTRACT WE DIDN'T SEE A TOTAL FOR OUR $1170 ANYWHERE...OR THE NUMBERS FOR THE FEES WE AGREED ON...THERE WAS TOTALLY DIFFERENT NUMBERS FOR EVERYTHING.....

HOWEVER WE DID SEE $200 A MONTH FOR 35 MONTH.....WE ASKED TO PUT ALL THE NUMBERS WE AGREED ON AND THEY SAID IT DOESN'T WORK THIS WAY.....IS IT NORMAL???? WE DIDN'T SIGH THE CONTRACT AND LEFT...DID WE MAKE A MISTAKE????FIRST TIME DOING THIS))))
  • Options
    You did the right thing by not signing a contract you didn't understand and agree with. Maybe you can find a dealership who will work with you to make you understand all details of the contract.

Also, just a tip... typing in ALL CAPS LIKE THIS looks like you are shouting.
  • Options
    sounds like you were bam-boozled by the dealer or atleast were trying to.
  • Options
    Seriously? People still think typing in all caps is considered shouting? It's a message board for crying out loud! Does it hurt your ears when you read the post? LOL! And by the way, I know a lot of elderly folks type in all caps because it's easier to read....just as an FYI.....
  • Options
    i must agree,i type with all caps because it's easier for me to read but people think that iam shouting sometimes.
  • Options
    tenpin288tenpin288 Member Posts: 804
    edited April 2011
    While it might be easier for some to read, typing in all caps is considered shouting and improper Internet etiquette. See http://www.networketiquette.net/ or http://www.tailfeathersnetwork.com/netiquette.php

;)
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,343
    Seriously... they do.. we didn't make it up... ;)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    FWIW, this has been studied and mixed case has been demonstrated to be easier to read for most people. But there's always exceptions.
  • Options
    postnobillspostnobills Member Posts: 43
    In a non-shouting attempt to get this thread back on track -

Pleased to say I bought a GLS with preferred pkg. this weekend in metro DC area for $1035 under invoice before tax and title. The dealer accepted the offer so quickly that I wonder how much lower I could have gone. Overall I am very pleased with this car, although the steering is a little loose and the tires produce a fair amount of road noise.

To those of you in other parts of the country with arrogant dealers not willing to offer good pricing - catch a cheap flight to BWI airport, have your way with the many price-competitive DC-area dealers, and drive your car back home!
  • Options
    embeedeeembeedee Member Posts: 5
    Thanks for the info, postnobills. I am considering your suggestion, although I am close enough to drive with a friend and drive both cars back to get a deal.

Using truecar, I believe factory invoice for a GLS (I assumed automatic) with preferred pkg is $18,058, which includes destination. If I do the math, you got it for $17,023 before tax and title? If so, that seems to be a good deal on a car no one around me is budging on right now. Can you share what your doc fees were?
  • Options
    rdillierrdillier Member Posts: 71
    Postnobills:

What dealership did you use? I've been to Fitzmall down in Rockville, and to Antwerpin in Columbia. Just looking so far, but I'm interested in an Elantra in about six months, when my '93 Maxima should be on its last legs.

Good luck with the car!!!

Bob D.
  • Options
    supersize1supersize1 Member Posts: 10
    So while I have been waiting almost 8 weeks for my allocation to arrive, I've continued to shop around other dealerships looking to see if I can find a even better deal. So far no dice. But last night I had a very interesting conversation with the sales women. Last week she said she was very close to my current offer. Apparently very close to her was 1200 dollars. :) I chuckled and explained my very close would be a range of high side 500 dollars.

She has been pestering me with calls and emails for almost a week after that conversation. Telling me she thinks she is now in our range. I called her last night, and apparently the deal was soo good it had gone up another 1000 dollars! I asked her why she wasted her time tracking me down, and I was then told I had to under stand demand was high for the car.

I'm hearing more and more of this lately, and it's very annoying that sales staff that I'm dealing with are that incompetent. Or worse that because Hyundai who has had this "Supply Pace" Issue the past two years can charge over the inflated sticker price for a car and get it.

Some dealerships are gouging so much they are getting into the price of a Prius! Oh well end of my rant. Hopefully my allocation shows up shortlyl, and my dealer doesn't try any of those last minute contract sneaks.
  • Options
    Easy solution: buy something else (maybe that Prius).

Dealers can charge anything they want for a car. We can choose to pay it, or not. The Elantra is a good car, but there's other good small cars out there.
  • Options
    postnobillspostnobills Member Posts: 43
    Hi embeedee (and rdillier),

I paid $16,965 plus tax, title and "doc fees" of $389. This was for the GLS automatic with preferred, floormats and ipod cable. It was actually a bit less than I was expecting based on my prior research. The iPod cable was not part of the car as packaged, so I offered $1000 under invoice plus the free ipod cable. They showed me the invoice of $17,965. As far as I can tell it did not include any regional advertising fee, which is why my deal seems better than the information from truecar.com. The dealer holdback and the current mfr. to dealer incentive totals a little over $1000, so I figure they made about $400 gross profit on this sale, plus any additional volume incentives they earn from the mfr. Seemed like a good deal to me!

I bought it at Fairfax Hyundai. Like most dealers in VA, they charge exorbitant doc fees (compared to MD with its $100 maximum by law), but even factoring this into account they were still a few hundred $ cheaper all-in than any other area dealer, including Fitzgerald. Also, they threw in free oil changes and state inspections for as long as I own the car. Not only is Fairfax closer to my home than Fitz or the other MD dealers, but I was lucky enough to have a knowledgeable salesman and a totally low-key finance manager. I had visited Fitzgerald a few months ago when I started looking at this car and was shocked by how poor the salesman there was (arrogance plus stupidity is a bad combination!!); I swear I knew more about the car than he did after I had invested just a couple of hours noodling around online.
  • Options
    niccirnniccirn Member Posts: 4
    Not sure if you have heard anything from your dealer regarding the white Elantras, but I was told by my dealer after waiting for three weeks that there was a production hold on the white model and they had no idea when they would be coming out of the factory. White was my 1st choice and everything else was a distant second. I felt all the trim popped against the white; I finally settled on the Black Limited.... still waiting delivery.
  • Options
    monkeygodmonkeygod Member Posts: 7
    So far I am only getting MSRP from most the of quotes I received. I am looking for GLS with Preferred Equipment Package 3 but none of the dealership seemed to be budging. Anybody have a recommended dealership to deal with in Houston as far as getting a good price on these model. Thanks
  • Options
    don't pay MSRP for any car regardless how hot the car is selling or how popular it is...the bottom line here is that while the elantra is a nice car it's still a hyundai with less than average resale value..if it had better resale value like a honda or toyota i would say go for it..but as soon as you drive that new 2011 hyundai elantra off the lot it will most likely take a almost 50% plunge in resale-value right off the bat...
  • Options
    monkeygodmonkeygod Member Posts: 7
    Thanks steven39,

That's what I was thinking as well. Civic 2011 is being clearing out for under 18k OTD yet Hyundai is not budging on their pricing here in Houston is just ridiculous. I guess if I don't get any further reasonable quotes from the dealer here then probably a Civic or Mazda3 it is.
  • Options
    mazda 3 and the honda civic also have very strong resale values.infact,i think the mazda 3 has the best resale value in the compact car class.good luck.
  • Options
    tenpin288tenpin288 Member Posts: 804
    You might want to take a look at this. Hyundai is going to start guaranteeing trade-in values. Trade-ins
  • Options
    fushigifushigi Member Posts: 1,459
    Not to mention steven39 is flat wrong on the depreciation issue. ALG has named the 2011 Elantra as having the highest residual value in it's class: https://www.alg.com/ResidualValueAwards

From the press release: "Hyundai earned its first-ever Residual Value Award for the Elantra, which won the Compact Car segment, with the company also registering its best-ever showing in the RVAs with a seventh place finish among mainstream brands."
    2017 Infiniti QX60 (me), 2012 Hyundai Elantra (wife)