Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chrysler Sebring Problems and Solutions

Comments

• ladyjayladyjay Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I had this same issue and it took week to figure it out. The PCM (powertrain control module) had to be replaced. Hope thi shelps.
  • terry6201terry6201 Member Posts: 1
    I recently had the battery replaced on my 96 Sebring Convertible. The day after I tried to put the top down and....nothing. I've checked the fuses but they all seem to be fine. Any ideas?
  • ckelseyckelsey Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a 97 sebring and would like to attempt the odo/tach repair that you have described. The link that shows the pictures w/the directions comes up as not available. Any chance you have another website that shows the pics with the directions?

Thanks a lot

Chuck Kelsey
  • okcsebringokcsebring Member Posts: 1
    My top has been taking longer and longer to come up. I fear the top is almost dead. Can I replace the top motor on my own? Or do I need to take it to the dealership? I saw online where I could buy the motors and I would really like to do it myself. I have been looking online but cannot find anything. Any tips? My Sebring is a 98 and I live in Los Angeles so I use the top a lot.
  • BikerMikerBikerMiker Member Posts: 5
    give me your email address and I will send the files you need. I have it on a backup DVD which is a good thing as my laptop's hard drive died last month. thanks.
  • peckpeck Member Posts: 1
    i have a 1996 JXI convertible and no owners manual. Does anyone know where the battery is and if so please let me know. Then there is the question about shutting off the alarm when you dont know how and does anyone else have the problem of the tach and odometer not working. This is more of a headach than anything.
  • rtomsikrtomsik Member Posts: 1
    I'm also having the same problem with my odometer/tachometer. Any way you can post the link to the diagram again or send it my way? Thanks!
  • 728mark728mark Member Posts: 3
    Contacting you to ask for insight into shopping for such a convertible. I'm inclined to agree w/ tan top, as I'm looking at moving to Az. soon. How did your shopping go? Did you buy? Are you happy w/ result? I think I'll hold out for a low mileage Limited, '01 - '02 model.
  • jam407jam407 Member Posts: 2
    BATTERY IN IN DRIVERS WHEEL WELL, TURN STEERING ALL THE WAY TO THE RIGHT AND TAKE OFF COVER PLATE IN THE FRONT OF THE WHEEL.
  • twa5twa5 Member Posts: 2
    I am looking at buying a 2002 Sebring LX 4 door with the 2.7 liter 6 cylinder (39,000 miles). Any concerns with the engine "oil sludge" issues so common in '00 and '01 or was this issue corrected in the 2002's. I hate to end up like so many Intrepid owners. Please comment on any issues, good or bad, for the 2002 models.
  • islandcustomislandcustom Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2001 LX Sebring V6 45000miles.Mine is doing the same thing.
    Wondering if you had foud the actual reason and possible fix.It is getting annoying!
  • kmckinleykmckinley Member Posts: 9
    Posted this on the convertible page & have not received any replies. Thought I might try on this bulliten board.

What is it with the power windows in these cars?!
    I am the 2nd owner of a beautiful gun metal grey limited. About 2 weeks after I bought it the drivers side window doesn't go down unless I tap the top up/down switch while holding down the window switch (don't ask how I figured out how to do that work around!). Now the same problem is happening with the back passenger window. I suspect the relays over the motors. Anyone out there have any experience with this problem & how did you remedy?
  • merrymanmerryman Member Posts: 1
    Hi,
    The battery is in the drivers side wheel well. It is a pain to get to. They say that if you turn the wheel real sharply to the right I think, that you can get to it, but it is still hard. I had mine replaced by Pep boys and it was worth every penny. They only charge about 15 to 20 bucks to do it, and on THIS car it is worth it. I usually replace my own, but I was real glad to pay this time.
  • trecetrece Member Posts: 2
    you have to take it to a auto motive person to have them set your tires on the computer that they have. that is how mines is actually mines is 20 miles faster. the guy set the tires to be 10 not 14.
  • trecetrece Member Posts: 2
    have the car scan by a automotive service person. see the codes it bring up.
    Dealer has blamed tires. New tires now.Blamed power steering unit.New power steering pump.The high pitched wine/whirr is still there under accelleration. Very annoying. Any ideas out there?
    Please check #152 #162
  • shark1shark1 Member Posts: 2
    are there anybody that has one yet ? how does it handle.?
  • ceadsceads Member Posts: 24
    any ideas? Last week it lost power going down the highway the died later it started up then did it again ,I was told the fuel pump was bad ,It was replaced now it wont start, it tries to turn over but just cranks and cranks , please help, 97 V-6 Conv. 115k
  • danbrowndanbrown Member Posts: 2
    I am having the same problem as chitra in message #165. My car is a 2001 Sebring LX1 with 21000. My dealer thinks it is in the ignition to shifter cable (auto on floor). They say the adjustment is OK. We have also had a problem with not being able to get the key out on cold days (interior still cold), but when interior is warmed up all seems to be OK. Any Ideas?
  • maplebudmaplebud Member Posts: 1
    does any one know how to change the time on my clock?...it is a 2002 sebring sedan i do not have a owners manual and I have searched every where on the net to find some info.... if any one knows that would be great!

thanks in advance

m
  • pauls1pauls1 Member Posts: 1
    My battery recently went flat on my 2000 Sebring Convertible. After it was charged the dashboard light didn't work and the horn didn't 'parp' when the car was locked (although the horn itself still works).

I've checked the fuses one by one but they are all fine and now I'm stuck for an answer.

Any ideas anyone. I'm in England so dealers aren't going to be much help!
  • rhorho Member Posts: 1
    It may be too late to respond, however, I have a tan top and it looks horrible after a couple of years. I have black streaks that will not go away and have always wished I had gotten a black top!!
  • markdisalvomarkdisalvo Member Posts: 3
    Mine is a 96 Convertible, and you wouldn't guess in Sunny Southern Cal, but I have also had this problem, any accumulated moisture in the tire causes the aluminum to bubble and corrode on a surface that needs to be smooth enough to seal with the tire beed. I didn't believe the mechanic, so looked for myself, the corroded rim started to chew up the rubber beed on the tire, scary. I am on my second replacement rim. Side note- stay clear of the canned tire sealers they don't work for the problem your having and can mislead you into thinking you need an alignment with all the wobble the sealer can cause at speed.
  • markdisalvomarkdisalvo Member Posts: 3
    Same here Mike, please email to me also @ markdisalvo@sbcglobal.net
  • mel7mel7 Member Posts: 1
    I have had the same problem with my 2000 JX, I'm driving down the road and all of the sudden the car looses power and will not restart. I have had it in the garage three times and each time they claim it is the distributor. The garage thinks that the distributors they are purchasing are going bad, but I think that there is more going on than just a distributor. In addition, the dealer wanted $1000 just for the part, I took it to an independant garage and they charged me $680 for the part and labor. The downside is I have been without a car three times in 80 days.
  • frigatefrigate Member Posts: 4
    We have the same 2002 LX Sebring with 30,000 Kms and the only concern that we have is the noisy front brakes when turning. Dealer machined front rotors twice now with no improvement. Apart from this, we thoroughly enjoy the car. You may want to read further in this forum for more info on the brake noise issue.
  • frigatefrigate Member Posts: 4
    There is a couple of indents on the radio facia and with a pen you can push in either indent to change the time accordingly. Hope this helps.
  • oldengineeroldengineer Member Posts: 22
    I bought an 05 Sebring Touring - Signature Edition in November. Handling is much improved over the 01 Sebring I traded in. The new one is not near as sensitive to wind and corners better.

Regards:

Oldengineer
  • shark1shark1 Member Posts: 2
    I BOUGHT A 2004 IN JULY AND HAD TO LEMON LAW IT JAN 2005 IT HAD 3400 MILES. TERRIBLE STALLING PROBLEM. HAD A 99 CONVERTIABLE AND NEVER A DAY TROUBLE LOVED IT . I WAS GOING TO TAKE A LEAP OF FAITH AND GET A 2005 ???? BUT I'M DEBATING .

THANK YOU FOR YOUR REPLY

REGARDS:

SHARK1
  • kennetht76kennetht76 Member Posts: 2
    I purchased a 2005 Sebring Convertible Touring Signature Series on December 28, 2004. I have taken it back twice because the seat belt light intermittently comes on while I am driving and fastened in. The dealership has been unable to replicate the problem, so they have not attempted a repair. The dealership is also unable detect any electrical irregularities from the computer. Chrysler suggested that it might be a sensor. I also noticed this weekend that when I had to break suddenly that the seat belt did not lock. However, when I am in the car and pull the seat belt rapidly that it did work. The car has less than 1200 miles on it. When I purchased it, the battery was completely dead. Any suggestions?

I really love this car especially the color (satin jade); however, I fear that there is a real safety issue (although the light problem doesn't happen all of the time).
    I know what you mean. The 2001 I had was a nightmare the first year I ownedit. The car stranded me on several occasions with various electrical gremlins. I finally found a Dodge dealer with a good service department that worked through and corrected most of the car's problems before it went out of warranty. My final solution when I bought the 05 - I switched to another dealer with a better service department and stuck with the brand. I just couldn't justify spending $8 - $10K more for a comparably equipped import such as Honda or Toyota. So far I've put about 5K on the 05 and I'm happy with it and my new dealer.

Regards:

Oldengineer
  • stevensgal88stevensgal88 Member Posts: 6
    We just bought a 2004. It has 3400 miles and has been in the shop 5 times. They are telling us they can not fix it.
    We just bought this car in November. Our troubles began 3 weeks ago and its currently in the shop for the 5th time. It has only 3400 miles and they are telling us they can not fix it.
    Went through this with a 2001 Sebring. Solution - I called the Chrysler hot line and arranged for dealer to get his fanny chewed. Then, I took the car to a local Dodge dealer, and, they managed to fix all the problems that the Chrysler dealer couldn't.

Regards:

Oldengineer
  • tkfitztkfitz Member Posts: 95
    My wife and I will need a newer car for her this spring. We are looking at several options,one of which is a sebring convt. Not the sedan or coupe. Any thoughts as to what to look for or avoid? The only car that comes close is a Mustang-the V6. Sebring is more realistic with the option of seating four adults.
    I own a mustang and I love it. I should have bought another mustang instead of buying this sebring which was a mistake.
  • sebring4lifesebring4life Member Posts: 1
    I have 172,500 miles on my 1997 Sebring LX and it still runs like the day I bought it. No major repairs, just the yearly Oxygen sensor. By the way, the brakes quit squeaking around 160,000 miles.
  • dodgeguy44dodgeguy44 Member Posts: 1
    We have a 2002 sebring lxi and when the heated seats are turned on once in a while there was a buzzing noise under the dash (sounds like a relay). Recently the seats stopped working and the dealer told us the relay is okay but the seat heaters need to be replaced. I still believe it is the relay but don't know where to look for it. It sounded like the buzzing was under the dash on the passenger side. Is this where they are located?
  • kennetht76kennetht76 Member Posts: 2
    I requested repair of my 2005 Sebring Convertible under GA Motor Vehicle Warranty Rights Act and Chrysler sent a representative to repair the vehicle. The vehicle is not ready for pick up by the service rep told me the following piece had been allocated for my vehicle: "inboard driver's seat belt receiver trim code.'" Does anyone know anything about this?
  • gjlgjl Member Posts: 1
    I just worked on my brakes today. A 96 Jxi with 108k. The friggen brake noise is killing me. I was in the process of selling it at 80,000 when we took it on a trip to the S. Carolina coast. Since then it has run better and better. So I only have to wait 52,000 for the noise to stop...Great.
  • audientaudient Member Posts: 4
    I have a 1997 JXi with about 115,000 miles on it. Last summer I had to have the transmission rebuilt. For the last couple of months, the car is running sluggish, runs loud, and is only getting about 17-18 miles per gallon. Also, on the freeway, it feels like it is really straining to run much faster than about 60mph. Also, some of the noise disappears when I turn the wheel to the right. I am dreading taking it in for service, because last time it cost me $2k (for the tranny.) Any thoughts or ideas of what I am in for, what might be wrong with my Sebring?
    Thanks!
  • tonyrose05tonyrose05 Member Posts: 1
    I bought a used sebring 2000 not even a year ago, since then i have been having MANY problems with it such as:

Passenger side window is slow going up
    Brakes make noises (had them replaced, then 300 miles later same problem)
    it seems as though now i need a new wheel bearing. It grinds, and makes noise when i turned corners at first, and now it is just continuous noise and grinding.
    The car started being loud under the hood, the engine was louder then when i first had purchased it. I took it to a mechanic whom told me to try and run synthetic oil in it, and that it should quiet it down a little. Therefore i did that and the loudness was still there.

THEN just yesterday the car started a new noise under the hood, it sounds something like popcorn, or like something is loose under there, like a cap or something that is getting bounced around. I looked under the hood and of course nothing is loose, it is the engine i think that is making the noise. ANY suggestions are appreciated. I am afraid to drive it. OH i almost forgot, when i stop at a stop light or stop sign the car stalls. IT even stalls when i just go to slow down. This just started along with the popping noise in the engine. I am afraid to drive it at all, PLEASE if anyone knows how to fix this or has had similar problems please let me know. I am fit to be tied with this car. NOT UNDER WARRANTY anymore. (of course)
  • billiezbilliez Member Posts: 1
    Our Chrysler Sebring sounds like it's making popcorn under the hood. The dealer and an independent mechanic can't find the origin of the noise. Is anyone else had this experience? The noise is not consistent and happens at any speed.
    Thanks,
    BZ
  • paul_wpaul_w Member Posts: 1
    I'm about to trade in my 2001 Sebring LX sedan for a new car and thought that the group might benefit from hearing the history of the car.

I have put 148,000 miles on the car in 3.5 yrs. It has the 2.6 liter engine. 95% of the miles driven were highway miles. MPG on the highway rarely drops below 30mpg and sometimes runs up to the mid 30's.

The engine provides excellent passing ability at high speeds.

The car is well balanced with a low center of gravity and handles excellent on icy or rain slick roads.

I was able to get almost 100,000 miles on the original factory tires before replacing them.

The transmission had to be rebuilt at 140,000 miles. (Occasional trailer towing may have accelerated this.)

The engine still provides great performance. There were zero unexpected repairs required with the engine. Oil changes were every 7,000 miles (Following recommendations in the Chrysler owners manual).

Other than the normal wear-and-tear items (brakes, spark plugs, tires, etc.) the weak point on the vehicle seems to be in the suspension.

Three front wheel bearings had to be replaced. Dealer recommended non-Chrysler, American made bearings that seemed to work a little better.

Both front tie rod ends had to be replaced twice (this never should have happened). Struts and control arms were replaced front and rear, some more than once.

Otherwise... I was satisfied with the vehicle, performance, price. I'll probably replace the car with the same.
  • t_sebringlx03t_sebringlx03 Member Posts: 3
    I have had my Sebring sedan for almost 2 years and it has about 38,000 miles. It's been great with one exception - the cruise control.

The cruise control will randomly shut itself off, only it won't turn back on for several minutes, hours and occasionally not at all. I find this very annoying on long road trips. Has anyone else had similar problems with their Chrysler products?

The Chrysler dealer doesn't know how to fix it on the few times they've been able to duplicate the problem - they replaced the module twice and rewired and replaced the wire harness. Any other suggestions?

Thanks,
    T
  • tony21tony21 Member Posts: 3
    Recently while trouble shooting fault code P0134 O2 sensor connector fault I found some info in the Haynes manual regarding the computers use of the 4 O2 sensors.
    I have a 97 Sebring LXI with 2.5liter. The manual said that the four O2 sensor are used to measure the health of the catalytic converter. At a certain point the computer will deem the cat is no longer doing its job and will set a code and command the automatic shut off switch to shut off the engine. Perhaps I didn't read this correctly or don't understand it but will somebody clear this up for me? If it is true about how many miles will the car go before this event happens? Is there a limp home mode? Please email at a324tony@aol.com. Write sebring ib the subject so that I know not to delete your email. Thank you, Tony
  • tony21tony21 Member Posts: 3
    Sometimes the brake light switch on your brake pedal is not set properly and will kick off the cruise. Find the proper setting in the cars maintenance manual, measure the clearance and adjust if necessary.
  • chettah8780chettah8780 Member Posts: 1
    Just Curious if anyone knows where I can find out where the thermostat is on my car. I don't want to have to pay a mechanic for something that small. Can anyone explain to me where it is. Also my mileage gauge and my tac go off and on whenever they want to, either they are both off or on. Does anyone have any thoughts on that too. Thanks
  • jmmreedjmmreed Member Posts: 1
    BikerMike,

Ditto with the speedo/Tach problem! Great directions, link doesn't work. What can I do to get the pics?
This discussion has been closed.