Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Sonata Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• desertguydesertguy Member Posts: 730
    Sounds like your dealer bears close watching. You certainly don't want a brake fluid flush on a new car. Glancing at my service book I did not see this service required in the first 30,000 miles anyway. You probably don't need an alignment unless you see peculiar wear on the tires. FOUR wheel alignment is BS anyway IMO.

As for "oil conditioner"........most manufactures specifically warn against using them. A good oil already has all the conditioners you need anyway.

We get 5 years of roadside assistance with the basic warranty. Watch this dealer as he is obviously after your pocketbook.
  • perma88perma88 Member Posts: 23
    How could you tell when your Sonata is made (in 2005 or 2006). Is the any tell base on the VIN #??
  • bobadbobad Member Posts: 1,587
    How could you tell when your Sonata is made (in 2005 or 2006). Is the any tell base on the VIN #??

Look on the "B" pillar, right by the VIN. You will find the Mfg. date clearly spelled out.
  • silverfox1silverfox1 Member Posts: 91
    Just checked my 06 Sonata LX on the B pillar and only have bar code with vin # decal and tire pressure decal. No date, what is VIN # breakdown as I would assume date is in the VIN code.
  • perma88perma88 Member Posts: 23
    found it, now will check Hyundai TSB to see what's needed based on mfg date..........thanks.
    After further investigation, I also have found the Mfg. decal on the side of the B pillar. Thanks for the info.
  • carfaxcarfax Member Posts: 43
    Dealers hope that you don't read your owner's manual. The service brochure that the dealer supplies are to steal your hard earned money by adding extra upgrades that are not required.

They will tell you these upgrades are to keep your warranty up and that is not true. What ever is in your warranty manual that came with the vehicle is all you need to keep your car under warranty. The manufacture decides what is required, not the dealer. As long as you are using the proper oil and parts at the right intervals that is stated in the manual, you are covered. Always keep a record and your bills to prove it if you are ever questioned. Some dealers are better then others and if yours gives you too much hassle, then change dealers fast.
  • eclarkeclark Member Posts: 12
    Avertime I apply my brakes I hear a popping noise in the radio speakers. So far the dealer has replaced the brake pedal switch, and the radio. Allegedly all chasis grounding points were checked and verified as well. The noise is still there unfortunately. The AM band also seems to have more static than expected during normal driving around town. I am clueless at this point.
  • dragonspankdragonspank Member Posts: 11
    Has anyone ever gone to the dealer to have the automatic locking device turned on? It's supposed to lock your doors when you hit 10mph. Also if anyone has please let me know how much it cost.

-Thanks
  • eclarkeclark Member Posts: 12
    06 Sonata LX. Clunking noises from front and rear suspension driving over dips and bumps in the road. Anyone else notice this. Sounds almost like worn out shocks would make. :lemon:
  • wildcatterwildcatter Member Posts: 5
    I have a beautiful white LX. The door locks were activated FREE by the dealer (Ron Tonkin in PDX). They supposedly can be set to activate at 20 mph, but I note my locks activate at 13-15 mph. You should NOT have to pay to have them set. Good luck!
  • ray_h1ray_h1 Member Posts: 1,134
    "...You should NOT have to pay to have them set..."

That would be nice if it were true. The BEST time to bring up the issue of programming the auto-door lock feature is before you sign the contract - while you still have some negotiating leverage. Afterward, getting it done as a freebie is a crap-shoot. According to a Hyundai TSB about this subject, reprogamming to customer preference is NOT a warrantable item, so the dealership is entitled to charge its customary labor fee. If you manage it, consider yourself a savvy owner with nearly miraculous powers of persuasion. But many dealership service departments insist on a minimum half-hour labor charge for what amounts to five minutes' "work" with the 'HighScan Pro' tool that plugs into the OBD-II port. The often quoted hourly is now around $70.00. What mystifies me is why Hyundai includes a worthwhile feature but steadfastly refuses to activate it at the factory unlike most competing makes with that feature. Whatever are Hyundai's decision makers smoking?
  • bhmr59bhmr59 Member Posts: 1,601
    The BEST time to bring up the issue of programming the auto-door lock feature is before you sign the contract

That's a good point. However, many buyers don't test all the equipment they pick up their car.

I'd suggest the owner bring up the cost issue while making the appointment and state that as STANDARD EQUIPMENT, this feature should have been activated prior to vehicle delivery.

If I am buying a new car that comes with auto lock doors (or A/C as an example) I shouldn't have to question whether or not the feature will be functional when I take delivery of the new car.

If the selling dealer will not do it for free and there is another dealer not too far away, check with the other dealer and tell them you are dissatisfied with the dealer you bought from and are looking for someone else to service your car. The second dealer may be quite willing to to do the 5 minute job if it will get them your future service work.

While programming the locks is NOT a warrantable item, that may be Hyundai's way of saying that dealers are already compensated for doing this pre-delivery and will not pay for it twice.
    Automatic power door locks may not be the best thing to have. A friend of mine had auto door locks and was hit on the front end battery side. The power from the battery was destroyed and they couldn't get out of the car. The power windows didn't work or the doors wouldn't open. It's a good thing the car didn't catch on fire or they may not be here today.

Can you imagine loseing control and going into a river or lake and the battery short out and you can't get anything to work to get out.

I have a 2000 Sonata and had my wife inside the car with everything locked up and unhooked the battery and she could not get out :) If i feel that i need the doors locked, then i can push the button to lock or leave them unlocked while im driving where i feel it isn't needed. Every one has their own way of doing things and that's fine with me. I don't know how the newer Sonata's work, but i did let my wife out. :D
    I'm with you carfax. I chose not to have mine activated. I really don't see a need to have the doors locked while the vehicle is moving. Cars usually get broken into or jacked while they are stopped.

However, I think the locks are electrical, and even though they were "manually" locked, they will probably not unlock if battery power is lost.
    They are electrical for sure and if i'm in town and a bad area, then i push the button. When the car is parked, i push the button and all the doors lock and the alarms is activated.
  • bhmr59bhmr59 Member Posts: 1,601
    Unless you're talking about your wife being in the rear seats, with the child door lock set, I have never heard of the battery having to be connected and working in order to get out of a locked car. Certainly not my '05 Sonata which has power but not auto door locks, not my previous car which had auto door locks.

In March I was in a rental Maxima which got creamed by an Explorer and got pushed into the vehicle in front of us. The front passenger door wouldn't open, due to the angle of impact, but the driver door did. I think the Maxima had auto door locks but am not sure since we only got in the car 3 times before the accident. My glasses and golf hat got knocked into the rear pasenger floor from the impact. I opened (from the outside) the left rear door to retrieve them and then the lest rear door would not shut.

How can locking the doors manually, whether by pushing a button or mechanically locking each door, differ from the auto locking of the door regarding driver or passenger being able to open the door without unlocking it?

I think you have an incorrect assumption. The owner's manual should explain whether or not the door can be opened from the inside after having been auto locked.
    "...I have a 2000 Sonata and had my wife inside the car with everything locked up and unhooked the battery and she could not get out..."

I have a 2003 Sonata with power door locks, too. In the event the electrical system goes offline while the doors are locked (the way I always operate my vehicles), all I have to do is pull on the door opening lever and that door will mechanically unlock and open as usual. With no intention to be confrontational, I simply refuse to believe the NHTSA would allow any car sold for operation in the United States would have no failsafe way for a driver and passenger(s) to extracate themselves in the event of an electrical system failure.
  • etketk Member Posts: 5
    In regards to the mfg date sticker that is on the B pillar...where exactly is the "B" pillar? I checked both on the drivers door and the passenger door behind the driver and did not see any stickers besides the VIN sticker and the tire pressure one. Checked the doors themselves and the portion of the body where the door closes into. So, where is this date sticker located???

Also, on the dash, in front of the driver, there is a small domed flashing red light. On other cars I've rented or owned that have had this light, it flashes when the security system is 'on'. My red light flashes all the time (except when the car is running) whether I have the security system turned on or not. Is this normal?

Otherwise, really like our black LX. Not looking forward to keeping it clean in these Wisconsin winters!! :( But it is classy looking with the added tinted windows and spoiler. :):)

Thanks!
    The B pillar is between the A pillar and C pillar. It's almost dead center of the car... right between the front and back door.

The flashing light indicates the security system is armed. ;)
  • gibigibi Member Posts: 9
    My 06 had a squeeling sound when turning right. Dealer found that the right rear wheel bearing was dry, Only 4000 miles. They replaced it and now it is fine.They said it came dry from the factory. You might have them check yours. Good luck.
  • lightfootfllightfootfl Member Posts: 442
    Explanation - - the auto interior portion is framed by "pillars", from the front, A, B, C. which hold together the "passenger cage". Think dash area left/right is A pillar, the area even (approximately) with the seat back, where normally the doors close is B pillar, and the rear area frame is the C pillar. Hope this helps. :)
  • luvmbootyluvmbooty Member Posts: 271
    Right now I have a sedan that does the same gas milage as the 2006 V6 Sonata (20/30). My car takes $40 to fill. I live in NYC and gas prices are over $3 a gallon. Over the summer, it's been predicted to rise to $5. In NYC there is a lot more city driving than highway. I would love the power but it's not very economical, especially in the future. Unless Hyundai's V6 engines become more fuel efficient, I'm thinking I'd want the I4. :surprise:
    If you choose the V6, and primarily operate in urban environs, you'll be glad you did when the price of gasoline drops back down below $2.00/gallon...
  • randydawrandydaw Member Posts: 20
    I missed this in my last reading of Nostradamus.
    Maybe it's in Leonardo's missing murals.
    Michel de Nostredame told me "Bob, gas is more likely to hit $10 than $2". Wait, maybe that was Neil Cavuto instead of Nostradamus. Oh well, I guess it doesn't really matter. :cry:
    With my 2000 Sonota, you can't open any of the doors with the power door locks on, from the inside or outside. Unless you push the button to unlock them. You can pull the handle on the inside with them locked and the doors will not open. So then i had my wife in the car with the doors locked and unhooked the battery. When she pushed the unlock button nothing happen, so she was stuck in the car until i re-hooked the battery back up.
    Maybe there is something wrong with the way mine is working, but never worried about it because the only time i lock the car is when we get out and leave it.
    "I missed this in my last reading of Nostradamus.
    Maybe it's in Leonardo's missing murals."

Perhaps my subtle sarcasm was a bit too subtle? ;)
    Ah, yes. It flew over my head like a stealth fighter over 3rd world radar.

Now watch it happen!
    it won't happen - that was my whole point, Randy.
  • miamixtmiamixt Member Posts: 600
    "Also, on the dash, in front of the driver, there is a small domed flashing red light. On other cars I've rented or owned that have had this light, it flashes when the security system is 'on'. My red light flashes all the time (except when the car is running) whether I have the security system turned on or not. Is this normal?"

I thought it was just me?. My LED also flashes all the time, just not when driving. I'll check it again :confuse:
    Well, I finally got your point.
    Just checked my Alarm LED again. It does blink at all times except while driving. I actually like this "feature". When it is "armed" it blinks faster :)

Had my Wiper Motor replaced today. It stopped squirting for the 2nd time. The factory must have missed filling some units with fluid. I know my LX was empty :confuse:
    Had my washer pump replaced on my 06 LX. Just curious, my car was built in Aug. O5. When was yours built?
    It had to be a Friday :D
    August 19th
  • singlasingla Member Posts: 2
    I hear some noise from the dash board on the passenger side of my new Sonata LX even when there are small bumps on the roads. It sounds like as if something is loose inside. Anyone else also having the same problem. :(

We tried emptying the glove box but the noise continues.
    Could be the CDs from the CD Changer, if you have it?
  • gibigibi Member Posts: 9
    Check the little door below the radio that pops open and used for storage. Probably loose. Mine was loose and the dealer tightened it. I also thought the rattle was in the glove box or behind the radio
  • dd5dd5 Member Posts: 7
    heated mirrors are listed as a standard option. I have a LX and I have no idea how the heated mirrors are activated? I found nothing in the manual and I'm beginning to think I am missing something here. Anyone have a clue??
  • blaise9blaise9 Member Posts: 2
    Weird problem with my 2006 GLS Hyundai Sonta, when putting into drive and then driving 2 seconds I hear a click or a pop noise under my gas and brake peddle, anyone have any ideas on what this could be...Dealer said park/release solenoid? please help...thanks Jenny (blaise9@yahoo.com) :(
    I just posted the same thing somewhere else. Each time you start the 06 Sonata, the Car does a self check test from Zero to 10MPH, and you will either hear a click or pop, or feel it in the Gas pedal. I have not noticed it, but read about it in the manual :)
  • desertguydesertguy Member Posts: 730
    Assuming we have the same manual, it is on page 1-76. It shows the switch which is activated when you turn on the rear defroster. Makes sense to me.
  • dd5dd5 Member Posts: 7
    Yes, you are right. I don't know how I missed it.
    thanks,
    Just finished rotating my tires on my 06 Sonata LX. Had to use my feet to break loose all the wheels from the hubs. Steel axle hubs are rusted and have seized to the cast wheels. Car has only 7200 miles on it but driven through a Wisconsin winter. This problem is found on many cars not just Hyundai. Could be a problem if you have a tire problem on the road. I lubricated the hub and cast wheel so I will not have the problem in the future.
  • dragonspankdragonspank Member Posts: 11
    Yes I tested it to make sure i wasn't going nuts myself.....they work!
    I'm almost sure that this is the answer. Now if someone could help me with a buzz in the drivers door/pillar. My Dealer wants to take apart my Car again. Most Dealers would just blow it off. Here's the noise link to the TSB.

http://jerrystout.us/media/hyundai/tsb/abs%20pump%20self%20check%20noise.pdf
  • osaka75osaka75 Member Posts: 88
    Can anyone help?

1. The alarm is set by pressing the lock button on the key fob twice. The lights flash and the horn sounds once. Is there a way to make it so that the alarm sets but the horn does not sound?

2. Is there a way to shut off the seat belt alert chime (without shutting off any other functions)? I wanted to remove a fuse but don't know which one or if that one controls other things.

3. The manual shows a button for the power adjustment of the accelerator and brake pedals. (If equipped.) I assume that none of the U.S. cars are equipped but I was wondering if there is a way to adjust the pedals manually. The GLS does not have a telescoping steering wheel, only a tilting one, and so when I adjust the seat so that my feet are comfortable, the steering wheel is not. And when I set the seat so that the wheel is comfortable the pedals are too close. Would be nice to be able to adjust the pedals an inch or so further away from me.

4. One of the posts on the front passenger head rest rattles like crazy at most speeds. Dealer said that's just how it is. Anyone else have this problem? If so, what did you do about it?

Thanks for replies to any of these questions.
  • tarheel96tarheel96 Member Posts: 17
    1. The alarm is actually set when you press the key fob the first time to lock the doors. Pressing the fob a second time provides no other benefit than an audible confirmation that the doors are locked and the alarm is set. This is the exact wording from the Sonata Quick Reference Guide:

A LOCK
    Press to lock all doors and arm the alarm. Press again to hear a confirmation chirp.

Hope this helps...
  • osaka75osaka75 Member Posts: 88
    Thank you. I'm reading through the very well written Hyundai materials but either didn't get to that part yet or forgot that I read it.
  • drietierneydrietierney Member Posts: 1
    Frequently, after I stop at a light or intersection etc... It bogs down and feels like it will stall but never actually stalls.