Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Oldsmobile Aurora: Modifications

Comments

• Options
    rjs200240rjs200240 Member Posts: 1,277
    Ok, here I go. Taylor, that sounds great, and glad to hear you got some good gains on the dyno. However, I think your 6-run baseline shows a little of how dynos can be inaccurate. I mean, 12.5 horsepower difference in two baseline runs? And these were the highest two, so there must be an even bigger difference for some other ones. Was anything done differently between tests? Otherwise, how do you explain the various baselines. And who's to say the best one is the most accurate?

Garnes, you said as long as there is repeatability then you can measure change, but there doesn't appear to be any repeatability here. I've heard that as a common critizism of dynos that they can be hard to get repeatable results. I think that this is sometimes exploited by aftermarket parts makers. I mean, what if between your second-best baseline and your best you had put some stupid magnet on the fuel line. Then you could claim it improved horsepower by 12.5 when it actually didn't do anything. I just think dyno's need to be taken with a grain of salt. I too would like to know if you made multiple runs with each mod. Was your best baseline the last one? Or the first? I'd be interested to see the order and results of each baseline run if you don't mind posting them or emailing me at aurora402002@yahoo.com.

That said, though, it sounds like the mods were worth it for you Taylor. Especially if you feel a difference. That's more important than if the dyno reports one.
  • Options
    rasmurymrasmurym Member Posts: 2
    I want to install a power inverter in my '96 Aurora. What's the cleanest way to do it?
  • Options
    garnesgarnes Member Posts: 950
    Don't jump on the devil's side too quick. I don't think 800 has really given enough information to know much more than there was some trouble getting the baselines results. I'm giving the benefit of doubt right now. He did not say the mod runs were all over the place or anything. I'll admit the baseline stuff would concern me though. Even the devil needs more info here.

Anyway, I just have to reiterate this - I've done a lot of runs on the dyno and all I can say is the results have been extremely consistent. I know that article on the "chips" (I think that was the one) made mention about dyno's being inconsistent, but I've seen and read quite a bit of testing on various cars that did not seem to have these problems, but more importantly my own experience is that they are very consistent. Runs on the same day were pretty much dead on every time. What can I say? I guess my results are just a fluke - each time I went too.

I don't know, but it drives me a little crazy to read that dyno's have to taken with a grain of salt because they are not consistent, and my experience is completely otherwise. I'm going with what I've actually seen and done over what some guy in a magazine said.

Come on RJS, if you are going to say "grain of salt" then you have to realize that you are saying that all the people that modify their cars or actually race on the weekends and go to the dyno to fine tune the A/F ratio's and such are wasting their time. Or worse, they are getting these inconsistent results but are too stupid to recognize what is happening or going wrong with the results.

800 - if there is some way you can summarize the results on all the runs that would be great. I understand that you probably did not print out all of them either. Any more info on the runs like how many were done with the mods and the results would be great.

Although I think RJS is a little to quick to dismiss dyno results, I have to admit that if if the other 8 runs were all over, then I'd be a little mad at the dyno place. It would be hard to tell what is going on, and it's my opinion that 12+ HP difference in baseline runs is out of the ballpark weird (and those were the closest two) Something is seriously wrong - and I don't think it's the car.

One last thought, when I went to the dyno (not the first time either) the guy had a hard time remembering how to set everything up on the computer regarding how to read the spark firing order (whatever he was doing). We would do some trial revs to make sure the rpm on the dyno computer and the car were the same. It seemed a little off and he knew it was screwed up and kept changing things. When he finally remembered, all was perfect. I also remember doing a run in drive - using overdrive and it seemed to goof up the torque readings. I got the impression that you could goof up things with the equipment if you were not careful and get bad results.
  • Options
    800wattaurora800wattaurora Member Posts: 187
    MORE INFO: First, the dyno was a "Dyno-Jet Chassis Dynamometer". I asked the guy who was working with me, Aaron, how many times he's done this. Easily 200 times +, he's worked there for 4 years and went two UTI (Hot Rod Instutite), they have 2 dynos. Just checking credentials. Check out the shops website, http://www.apgperformance.com/

At first on the dyno I started with the gear shifter in 3rd like everbody said, PROBLEM, it would shift into overdrive spiking the reading. It took a 6 runs to figure out, start in second, start rolling wait till it shifted to 3rd, then GO. The first Time I got it two stay in 3rd to redline was my 7th, run. 190 hp-???ft-lbs tourque run, and about 40, minutes later, I wanted to get part-swaping. I saw the graph on the screen -peak Hp 190-, and didn't want another thinking of garnes 189Hp run. Don't remember the Torque #. Damn-it. Should of run-again, didn't know that the graph would crap-out on that one run.

So it took 7runs to figure out the shifting thing.

190.0 Hp & ???Torque -Baseline- Garnes Baseline 189HP & 204 Torque

Next two runs with RSM's Intake w/ K&N cone

198.3HP & 202.9 Torque

195.7HP & 199.0 Torque

Added RSM's bored 80mm Throttle Body

205.0HP & 214.3 Torque

206.7HP & 214.0 Torque

I Think this is a pretty accurate and repeatable. Maybe the torque #'s could be a little higher, but they're consistent. As far as the ??? torque numbers for my baseline, I haven't crunched a number that I like yet. I only said a loss before with the intake, because I used Garnes percentage Torque loss # of .7846 for all the estimated torque numbers at the crank. Maybe my car for some reason has just a little less torque than Garnes, or the dyno read low, or His dyno read high, the weather conditions, the gravitational pull of Mars was aligned with Uranius, I dunno, but the #'s are repeatble and can be compared to eachother. I probably gained some torque with the intake along with the +8.3HP I gained because my baseline tourque was less than his 204 torque baseline. If you compare his numbers to mine, Garnes 196.1 HP & 227.5 torque to my 195.7HP & 199.0 torque- +.4HP difference and +28.5 torque difference, hum, http://www.anglefire.com/stars/mycaddy/4airboxtest.htm

Anyways, I'm very happy with my 272HP Aurora gain of +21.9HP. It is definitly a noticeable gain. I can feel a little more in the low end, but the high end pulls MUCH HARDER!!! I would recomend RSMracings products, I've had good results with their intake and TB and with their Strut Tower Bar too. Caddyinfo's results of under hood cone's show a dynoed loss on one Caddy, seems like it works for us 4.0's if done/made right. I'm really impressed with how much power could be added by forcing/allowing more air into these Northstars, can't wait to find out how much more power can be un-leashed with a freeier flowing exhaust, a Corsa straigh-thru exhaust for me. Next-Do I get a Hi-Flow cat too? Hum, leaning towards no but I'm keeping my options open. Can't wait till the fall Corsa Install, I'm so there.

Garnes-Air box bottom will be gone shortly, that one srew sure looks like its through the bottom up. I'll take your word and MUSCLE it out. Now what about the collector with the 3 slots going in to the fender? Hollow out the 3slots-make one big slot? Then put a 4in hose around it going down, drill hole for hose to stick out right under/behind air dam? Hum, I'm thinking about it. I live in Elmhurst,IL.

Throttle body re-placement, I'd be glad to copy the service manual section on throttle body replacement for anybody and the list of tools needed, Mostly star keys T-20 ect. It's all step by step. Taking it out wasn't too bad, just took time and patience. Added difficulty when engine is HOT, not recomended if you can't take the pain.

So, Questions? Comments? Concerns?

Post'em or write me

taylorsturf@attbi.com

800wattAURORA
  • Options
    I don't understand that either. I bet if you looked at the dyno run as your car ran through each gear you'd notice more power in the higher gears than in the lower ones. The problem I have with that is that the power the engine makes is the same in each gear. The power that's reported on the dyno should also be the same. If you think 3rd gear is 1:1 and that's why you get the best reading, you are wrong. 3rd gear between the engine and tranny output is 1:1, but between the engine and the wheels it's 3.71:1 or 3.48:1 if you don't have an autobahn car. In fact, this ratio is different for different cars. There is no magic about 3rd gear. 4th gear would actually be closer to 1:1 since the overall ratio is about 2.5:1. There is no reason that the results in each gear shouldn't be the same or at least similar.

I don't think dynos are a waste of time. Once the engine is in the car I think it is the best tool you can use to measure the car's performance. However, I don't think that it is a perfect tool. Garnes, maybe the dyno you used was newer or more accurate or maybe it was better taken care of than most. Like any precision tool I'm sure they can lose precision with use, especially if they aren't maintained properly. I think they can give good trend indications, but I don't think they give perfect results. Taylor got readings on his cone filter that had a difference of 2.6hp. His biggest gain with it was 8hp. That 2.6hp difference is 30% of his gain. I would say that's a grain of salt...

Taylor, that 28.5lb-ft of torque difference figure you mentioned is the one Garnes said was wrong, isn't it? I couldn't get the page to come up, but I remember one of his printouts had the wrong torque max displayed.
  • Options
    "Don't jump on the devil's side too quick. I don't think 800 has really given enough information to know much more than there was some trouble getting the baselines results." Hmm.

800 - thanks for the additional info. It looks very good to me too. You indeed had some trouble getting started. I will e-mail you about that throttle body. I am interested. It's not a lot of money, it seems to work well, and if it's not too hard, I might give it a try. Thanks.

IGNORE the 227.5 max torque number printed on the top of my dyno graphs. You have to read the graph. The stupid thing was giving the max. torque as the spike at the shift point. I think that's what it did. I should have blacked that out when I scanned it.

RJS - I'm not sure what to make of that last post - funny or what. The intake showed +8.3 or +5.7 - you still got a decent idea of what is happening. Come on, just say +7 as the average. Now how far off is that from what's really happening? Probably within 1 HP or so. Let's not be selective and forget the TB results. Those were even tighter. If he had nailed the baseline without problems, more runs could have been made on the mods to sharpen the picture, but I think the two runs for each were decent enough to know what's happening.

I don't think it's helpful to look at (for illustration) a measured gain of say +2 one run and +4 on another and then conclude oh no, that's a difference of 2/4 = 50% or 2/2 = 100%. 50 and 100 sure sound big and bad but it doesn't mean you don't have a good idea probably within 1 HP of what's going on. More data would clear it up. More telling is that the 2 or 4 or whatever HP gain is part of a total 200+ at the wheels being measured.

In general, a statement like "can be" or "may be inaccurate" are reasonable but absolute statements indicting dyno results across the board are pretty tough. Absolute statements of any kind usually are.

3rd gear - I dunno, but that's indeed what everybody says. If it works, it works.
  • Options
    rjs-You seem to be quite negative about my whole experience. A grain of salt? I have answers/responses for most of your comments, but to start out with "Devil's Advocate" before you know the whole/any of the story? Why the negativity? Don't you want a fellow Auroraian to succeed in modifying their Northstar/Aurora with dynoed improvements? Not It feels faster. I gree that dyno's aren't perfect, nothing is. It is percision machinery and like you said, "Like any precision tool I'm sure they can lose precision with use, especially if they aren't maintained properly. I think they can give good trend indications, but I don't think they give perfect results." That sums up my opinion on percision machiery. I work with high-speed Printing presses every day. A 3 Million dollar Machine buys you a lot more mechanical and computer parts than any car. Also lot's of room for error. I can print up to 183,750 eliptical dots in perfect registration to .0005in tolereance, in one square Inch at 15,000 an Hour. Thats a percision machine.
    There are many things that could sligtly alter readings on a machine that supposed to measure accurately what another machine can do. Not to mention, it's reading a computer controlled combustable engine. There's tons of chance's for varaibles that could/do change things, between tthe readings of two high speed dyno runs in a building, that happened within minutes of eachother. Ex.The wind/building AC could of caused a draft for/against the intake area, changing computer readings, the power to the dyno/car could of diped/spiked slightly changing spark/fuel ratios. The computer for the ECU/PCM could of decided to change something for numerous reasons, like the engine temp started lower on the first run of each set, different IAT readings, Humidity/temp change, ect. There's a million variables to change "two identical readings".
    I think of my numbers as just something to base off of and compare to. It's to see if there were gains or losses. Why were my torque #'s low? Why did Garnes' run have the wrong torque max displayed? How accurate/maintained was his Dyno? Why doesn't my Multi-Million dollar Press want to print right today? Why is it raining today? Some things just can't be perfect all the time, ya know?

800wattAurora
  • Options
    Garnes, Thanks for giving me the benfit of the doubt and backing me up. The name of that wax is perma-shield, I swear it works wonders, http://www.permashield.net/index.htm About the Corsa install, I only said Aug. 1st as a date to call them, because I need 4 weeks approval for vacation time, technically speaking. I'd be happy to give you all the ThrottleBody Info you'll need. Go for it, it's not as hard as it looks.

As for the 3rd gear thing, The 4T80E transmission makes it's peak power in third gear. I don't know why, but it does. RJS is right about how the engine should make the same amount of power in each gear, it does, but only at the CRANK, not after it goes through a transmission and is measured at the wheels.

I know my runs could of been more concrete in the numbers game. I could of done more runs @ $80 an hour, but I was on a budget/time window. I'm happy with the results I got. They showed Gains. Roughly a gain of +21Hp. So figure I got around +7HP with the intake and +14HP with the bored Throttle body.. I'm happy with the OVERALL results.

Both were gains. No complaints on that . My only concern with the intake kit is the lack of outside air flow. After Iget the bottom part of the air-box out, make a heat-shield, and get more outside air to the filter via, a home made "ram air". I'll just feel better knowing that I did All I could to improve air flow. Next will be Corsa Exhaust and one last Dyno for the Aurora, unless someone comes out with a port&polish or stroker kit or something.

My pervious tourque #'s estamate % loss was off your peak read out. Your calulation of +20 ft-lbs of tourque sounds right, so I figure I now drive a 270Hp and 280 ft-lbs of torque Aurora. Not to bad. Hopefully Corsa will add at least +10 to both of those making it a 280Hp and 290 ft-lbs of torque car. What would you figure my baseline Torque number should be? Any other questions on my runs? Did I leave anything out? If so Ask!

800wattAurora

• Options
    I'm not trying to rain on your parade. I just wanted to give you something to think about. Hell, if nothing else, I wanted to foster some discussion about it. You obviously made gains to your car, and that is great. By a grain of salt, I don't mean throw out any conclusions you can make from it. Rather, just keep in mind that your estimate of 270 horsepower should be a bit flexible.

I do have a question about your runs, though? How long did the vehicle sit before you started the dyno testing? And what were the pressures in the tires? If the tires were cool when the test started, they would begin to heat up from rolling on the dyno. As the pressure inside the tires increases, the tire itself would deform less as it rotates. This deformation creates rolling resistance, and as the deformation is lessened (by the greater pressure in the tire) there is less rolling resistance and thus less drivetrain loss of power. Did you check the tire pressure before the first run or at any time during the testing to see if it had changed?

On the road a higher pressure has trade-offs in tirewear and crappy handling so this isn't a way to get extra power out of your car, but on a dyno there aren't these tradeoffs and higher pressure reduces the driveline loss.

Also Taylor, I don't quite understand the problems with your previous baseline attempts. Did the car shift out of 3rd before the 5600 rpm power peak? I would think it would have shifted (providing the throttle was completely opened) at about 6000-6200 rpm. It is an electronic tranny and can give very accurate shifts. My car always shifts at either 5800 rpm or 6200 rpm at full-throttle (depending on factors I've yet to figure out), but it is always very precise at either of these two points. If it shifted above the 5600 rpm power peak, then it shouldn't have affected this part of the dyno reading. Did your car make it's peak power at a different rpm?

Did you get any graphs of the power curves or just peak numbers? I'd be curious how the non-peak part of the power curve was affected, especially in the 2000-3500 rpm range.

Garnes, I am not trying to dismiss dynos as a useful tool. In fact, I can't think of a better way to measure power gains on an assembled car. But you said "The intake showed +8.3 or +5.7 - you still got a decent idea of what is happening. Come on, just say +7 as the average. Now how far off is that from what's really happening? Probably within 1 HP or so. " Come on. That guess of 7 is within 1 horsepower of the real reading?? Hell, both his actual results are off by more than 1 horsepower from that guess. I just think the dyno results paint a picture of the actual gain. Anyway, you don't have to believe it if you don't want to.

I certainly agree that you did a great job Taylor. I think the dyno absolutely shows that the parts you bought were well worth the money. Especially if you haven't noticed any drivability issues. I didn't mean to belittle your experience in any way, and I'm sorry if you saw it that way. The fact that you notice the gains in everyday driving is really the most important thing since everyday driving is your most common experience with the car. In fact, that speaks to the gain being fairly sizeable because a gain of about 5-10 horsepower on a 250 horsepower car could easily go unnoticed to the driver.
  • Options
    Hey Taylor, do you know how big the original throttle body is? I was looking at a catalog of mostly small-block Chevy and Ford performance parts. I noticed that for aftermarket throttle bodies, 80mm is really big (for single butterfly TB's). BBK makes an 80mm TB for the Camaro/Firebird LS-1, which is 5.7 liters. For the Mustang 5.0, Edelbrock makes 65, 70, and 75mm TB's. I noticed RSM has a core deposit on the throttle-body. Do they enlarge the stock TB to 80mm or is it a new TB? They also list it for the new Northstars but not the new Aurora engine. I wonder if there is a difference between the NS TB and the Aurora TB. Thanks!
  • Options
    mike98cmike98c Member Posts: 293
    If it works it works. I seem to recall hearing that to LARGE a throttle body can lead to loss of torque lower in the rev range of an unmodified engine with a stock (restrictive) exhaust from one of the rod magazines. How large is to large I don't know.
  • Options
    RJS - oh boy - ok, 8.3 and 5.7 are 1.3 from 7. I'd say that's "1 or so". I know, .3 is 30% of 1 - oh my. This has gotten silly.

Basically, what I think is PROBABLY happening with testing a mod that does the 5 to 10 HP gain is this: Say the dyno is accurate within 1 HP +/- (pretty darn good, 1/in 200+ would be very accurate). Anyway, say this mod adds +7. You can get results of between +8 or +6, or may get +7. That seems to approximate 800's experience (sorry I'm going to round things here, if you get mad about point this or that, well...). Now I think two runs like that gives a decent idea of what is going on. Yes, +/- 1 in a +7 mod can give results that are 33% or 25% more or less than each other, but you still know what is going on (most likely) within 1 HP or so. You also know what is happening in relation to the baseline (say 200 - it's measuring those HP's too). 6/200 = .03 8/200 = .04 (hey that's within 1% when looking at all the power :>). I just think that's the only way to see the forest and the trees together.

Tire pressure - I measured it to make sure it was even at the start. I never measured it after a run. However, My runs were a little closer than 800's closest runs. I tend to think it did not matter much. In addition, the run lasts how long? 20 or 30 seconds? Maybe less? It goes by quick. I'm not sure the tires heat up much in that little burst. Also, after a run, there is often some farting around changing something or looking at the results so things can cool back down. Also, Also I remember testing various things with my box mod - air from just the bottom or side, and removing the ribs from inside. This stuff seemed like it would make a difference but it did not or was barely noticeable.
  • Options
    I would really like to talk to you about the TB. It seems like it would be hard, but I know you say it was not bad.

I'd forget the high flow cat-converter. After actually looking at a regular one out of the box, it seems to me that in order to meet the government regs to lower pollution, you pretty much have to pass that exhaust through a certain amount of media. The media would all be the same I'd think. I never heard of and high flow media being advertised in one of these. Perhaps a little improvement can be made with a bigger inlet and outlet, but the exhaust would have to do it's thing with the crummy media inside the converter to meet emissions.

Corsa - Yeah, give them a call in a month. We can tag team the calls. I just might meet you there some day this fall. It's a very nice new facility.
  • Options
    rjs - the new Aurora TB is at least a little different in that it doesn't have the MAF screwed into it. I guess how it attaches to the incoming air tube or whatever might be enough of a difference.

Anyway, more thought on that stupid MAF - you know, on the classic, the TB is right after the MAF. I noticed the the TB is smaller than the MAF, and the two circular openings don't line up center to center either. I remember thinking, "what difference is a bigger MAF if I have this smaller orifice smack up against it". For MAF's near the air box, perhaps a little bigger diameter will help, but not so for the classic.

BTW, as for aftermarket places using bad dyno results to show gains - well, I think they just flat out make the crap up sometimes. Heck, if you are going to sell a lie, why bother getting screwy dyno results? Just make up the stuff. I really think the MAF is fabricated BS. They said a certain gain, but there was no testing to back it up. Looking back, I should have never bought it.

A good rule of thumb would be that it clearly allows more air into or out of the engine by simple straightforward means, it should help. By straightforward I mean bigger smoother openings, less restrictions (significant ones like exhaust baffling). There are not a lot of things that really fall into that. Perhaps a smoother larger intake that uses the K&N type filter media, a throttle body, and exhaust are about it without having to get into the engine. Ram air too I guess if you can figure something out.

Anybody know of anything else, let us know.
  • Options
    Well this Dyno experience of mine has caused some interesting and informative posts. I think it's Great!!! Were all here to have fun, and I'm having a ton of it, posting here about Aurora's and learning from others about everything thats out there in life/car world.

Keep the conversations ALIVE. Ask me anything, anytime, here or email:

taylorsturf@attbi.com

I'll try to answer/comment every ones comments. If I miss one or don't answer something, ask me again, harass me, I'll get to it eventually.

Dyno-All I can say is that this was my first time I've ever actually done it. It was a thrill. Next time I know that I need to keep a more "controlled" environment. Unfortunately I didn't keep the track of my tire pressure. I didn't think of it. HineSight is 20/20. I realize now that I could of prevented some of my time delays, and got more runs in. If my baseline only didn't get messed up. The good news is that I went to Dynojets website and discovered that you can get the graphing software fore FREE so you can anylize your data at home. So this week I'll go over to APG and copy my runs. I haven't tried to put any picts on the net before, but I'll email the runs to anybody who's interested. It was this kind of dyno http://www.dynojet.com/a248.shtml

Run conditions: Apg is 20min away on the highway. When I got there at 9am the engine temp was 200. They had to move/push a the cars out of the shop 1st thing to make room for the day. 15min later I was getting straped in and and rpm calibrated. It took some time for them to get the correct reading, spark plug wire readings fluxuated some. So after that was figured out, it took a couple of runs before I got my baseline of 190.0Hp. I should of run again. Engine temp didn't drop much under 200, just a hair under. The intake only took a couple of minutes to put on, I did a test fit the day before when I put in the new paper filter, so I new how it fit, saved some time. Ran twice with in 2-3 minutes of eachother, then started the Throttle body swap, I didn't know how long it would take me to do it, so I kind a rushed to get to it knowing that there was someone scheduled 1hr after my 2, it turned out to take 2hrs 40 min, then print out everything, almost 3hrs. After sweating my first TB swap for a more than hour @ $80 hr, I was more concerned that I didn't screw up anything on my baby, than comparing numbers and checking run consistentcy. Now that I've successful swaped out my TB, I feel very confident about working on cars. I don't want to be a mechanic though. Next time I'm on a Dyno, I'll feel more comfortable, and be able to keep varaibles to a minium.

800wattAurora

• Options
    ThrottleBody-RSM racing charges $249 for a re-bored stock Throttle-Body. They found a core unit 2-Days after my order was placed, they didn't have any in stock, because of the low demand for Aurora parts. They get a used Aurora Throttle Body and totally clean it up and re-build it internally. The outside is scrubed to look almost new. The Inside is ported and polished (bored-out). They make a new butterfly valve to fit the new inside diameter. It come's with a new GM gasket. They forgot my gasket actually, It came a few days later with some RSMracing stickers.Might put one under the hood. They charge a $300 core charge so they get back a "core" to bore-out and sell again. They said they don't have any time restrictions, for getting it back. I'm sending mine back tomarrow, for my $300 refund weeks later.

According to my tape measure, RSM's porting did measure 80mm and the stock measured out to 74mm. I was amazed at how dirty my stock TB was. It was filthy!!! Just like their picture, dirt only on the block side only , http://webhome.idirect.com/%7Ersm1/cadtb.jpg

The ride quality of my car hasn't changed for the worse in any way. The difference is how much harder it pulls in WOT now and passing gear on the highway. It just wants to fly in the high RPMs. VERY noticeable on the highway.
    I'm very happy with how the install worked out. No problems with anything. But, on the intake kit, the metal intake tube had some rough edges, so I filed them nice and smooth, for a un-restictive air path. The TB gasket was the GM one, so it only had a 74mm opening, I was a little sceptic about the concept of 80mm of air has to enter a 74mm opening anyways, so where's the gain I thought? After the 80mm butterfly opening the TB angled in making the block side around 78mm or so I think, because the gasket over laped the port job just a little bit. So I very carefully sanded down the edge of the gasket to "angle in" instead of a square edge, that's restrictive. The next step in a true throttle body up-grade is to port out the plenum (the 74mm opening to the intake manifold after the TB) by doing this you can get optimum gains but I beleive the computer needs to be adjusted for plenum porting.

Anyways, the Ported TB works, and goes faster with no trade-offs that I know of, A success in my book. Actually i've never looked into the trade offs of a larger throttle body, going to have to do that. My GM mechanic did say that it is a good add-on. Getting more air is good.

More on install steps when I have more time. It's not that hard, It's a bolt on part.

Garnes, since you've taken off the MAF sensor, your right there, only a couple more bolts to go, I encourage anyone to try this bolt-on parts, as long as your comfortable turning a wrench in a tight area.

800wattAURORA

• Options
    Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    This is what the Town Hall is all about. Thanks for some great reading! :-)

KarenS
    Host
    Owners Clubs
  • Options
    Thanks for the info on the TB. I didn't realize the stock TB was so big. That's impressive. I wouldn't think the 80mm would have any negative effect on the low end since the difference isn't really that big (if a bigger TB even has an effect. I've heard it does too, but never a good explanation of why). I'm sure the bigger TB still helps the airflow even if the intake plenum is the same size.

10' of 2" exhaust will flow less than 2' of 2" and 8' of 3" exhaust even though they both have a 2" part to them. I'm sure if the whole intake was bigger it would flow more, but the bigger TB should still have a positive effect (and your dyno test confirms that).
  • Options
    If you could send me that info on the TB calibration or whatever you have to do to it, that would be great. I e-mailed you, but I don't know if you got it. I'd still like to talk to you about the work. I'm always nervous about getting into this stuff.

I hope you pulled the box bottom out along with the goofy horn thing and you have that big opening below feeding air to the cone. I suspect that maybe the caddy doesn't have this hole. I wonder.
  • Options
    mariposarosadamariposarosada Member Posts: 54
    Ordered a front strut bar for my 95 Classic yesterday. Just had to tell someone. Nobody at work cares. It should be here within a month. I'll update ya'll with the results.
  • Options
    javidoggjavidogg Member Posts: 366
    cool, let us know how it fits and performs.
  • Options
    mariposarosada-Congrats on your purchase of RSM's Strut tower bar. Very easy install, 3 bolts on each side. Piece of cake! I took off the spacers, I wanted to see more thread on those bolts. You'll like the added stiff-ness, you'll want the rear bar too. I know I do.

Garnes-I got your mail, I'll respond and no I haven't ripped out the bottom of the box yet, probably Sat. morning when the engine is cool. I learned the hard way that the metal intake tube get's VERY HOT, caution.

rjs-I got your mail too. Looking at the graphs, peak power was made at 5600rpms in all the tests. The tranny thing is hard to explain, I would have to start rolling first and wait for the shift then GO, then the tech would start the readings, the starts are between 2650-2950rpms. The problem was that it would downshift or upshift after the tech pressed the go button after I was rolling. The readings came up, but it spikes the graph readings. So the correct info displayed but peak power was messed, basicly runing the run. It took 7 runs to get it right. I should of run again to confirm, HindSight 20/20. I don't know why this tranny thing was happening, didn't pay attention to the rpms at the wrong shift point either. Leaving the gear selector in 3rd DID NOT WORK. I used 2nd and started rolling untill shifted then GO. Tire pressure could of helped a little I believe, should of checked/adjusted them. Oh well, I know for next time.

Unfortunatly my Aurora is non-Autobahan, limited to around 113 mph. Yes, I did bring it up to ignition cut-out limiter a couple of times on the dyno before I figured out the gear thing, not my first time limiting this car. I remember reading about the 4t80e tranny and it made peak power around 78mph I believe. High end of 3rd gear for sure. Other trannys are different.

800wattAURORA
  • Options
    Well, I removed the underbody tray and the headlamp and had a good view of where I could route some CAI ducting. Unfortunately the 4" dryer hose is wayyy too thick to fit between the underbody tray and the engine sub-frame. I think that I could cut the tray or the wheelwell in order to get the ducting to breath outside air, but I'm not sure that's worth it. It wouldn't be forced in so I don't know it would help. I think the air behind the headlamp really doesn't get heated by the engine in the first place, so cooler air probably can't be found. I'm an idiot and forgot to take a picture of the ducting completely installed so that you could see the ground and tray clearance issue, but I think you'll get the idea. With the tray still removed (no way it would go on) the ducting was only about 2" off of the ground. Obviously that isn't going to work...

Click here to see it.

• Options
    So close and yet so far. You could just remove the headlight - how's that?

I'm sure there is plenty of fresh air behind the light though - just like the classic breathing from behind the fender - which is fed from the top of the light.

You gotta do something with those milk jugs.
  • Options
    musclecar97musclecar97 Member Posts: 111
    I saw those too. Keep up the good work though and for what its worth I tend to agree more with your opinions on the mods.
  • Options
    nne3jxcnne3jxc Member Posts: 134
    Heh!
    I actually saw that on a hot rod once. I forget now what kind of car it was -- I want to say it was an old Pontiac GTO or Tempest, but I'm not sure. Anyway, they took out one of the headlights on each side (dual headlight system obviously) and ran some ducting to the "holes". They then rewired the remaining headlights to use single Hi/Lo beam lamps.
    Was pretty cool -- and I'd imagine did bring in a decent amount of air.
  • Options
    That's what I put oil in after I drain it. The Aurora fills up two of them, so I need to keep a few around. They're good for coolant too...

Hey, how big is the filter on the classic? Mine is really small. It's like half the size of the one on my Corvette. It's about 9.5"x7" including the gasket. The Corvette was huge. It would flop in my hand while holding it. It had to be at least 15"x10". I wonder if a cone would help on my car. Only problem would be where to put the PCM. Actually, I wonder if a small cone would fit inside the airbox. Perhaps that would be pointless, though. It might have less surface area than the panel filter.
  • Options
    Stock size filter on my 96 is/was 10.75X8X1.75 (includes gasket) Not sure on the size of my new cone though, about 6in round, 6in long tapering down to 4in, rough guess, i'll measure one day. Perhaps I could put on a bigger one, there is room, but I'll wait till this one needs replacing.

I did have one complaint about my intake kit. My metal tube isn't quite bent like the one in the picture, http://webhome.idirect.com/%7Ersm1/aurstb.jpg mine makes a 90 degree turn where the picture is more like 70 or so. The filter isn't right over the hole in the fender, where the stock box's baffler, sat. I wrote Zsolt over at RSM and told him about my one compliant and my dyno results. He wrote back saying I'll have a new one at my house in two weeks, no charge. What a bunch of GOOD GUYS over there at RSM in Canada. Great Service. Ever time I've talked to them, they've been nothing but helpful there.

Anyone looking to add some performance to their Northstar, check out www.rsmracing.

I've boughten the Front Strut Tower Bar, Intake Kit, and 80mm Throttle body from them. Every part fit great and did exactly what the performance/suspension parts are supposed to do. I DYNO tested the performance gains for +20hp & +20 torque. The install was ALL bolt-on. If any one has questions about the install of anything, email me anytime, I'll copy the "Trottle Body Replacement" section of the GM service manual for ANYONE INTERESTED. GO FOR IT! The stock air box is SO restrictive, take it all out and check for yourself. Once you look under the bottom of the air box, you will be amazed how little air can enter. Very bottled up to keep the luxury quite ride. I'll admit that my car is a little louder now but I don't have a problem hearing that 32valve V8 roar when I ask it to. At cruise the sound level is almost the same. No complaints here.

I love the added POWER and the firmed up ride with the Strut Bar and the KYB G2's struts. A must for those how want to increase handling.

Now, I'm driving a 270hp/280 torque Aurora thats faster and handles better than ever. It's like a new car.

THANK YOU RSM RACING!!!!

800wattAURORA

• Options
    RJS - I think your air box may be very similar to the air box on a lot of the GM 3.8's. They have the PCM in there too.

Anyway, go to http://www.thrashercharged.com

They once had a lot of interesting pictures of a 380 HP supercharged 3.8 V6 Monte Carlo they built. Included was an induction system. Unfortunately the pictures don't seem to be there now, but you can call them and find out more.

The induction had a large heat-shielded area that housed a cone filter. The hood insulator came down over the heat shield. If you could get a picture of it from them, maybe it would be of some help to you. Their induction ultimately was supplied with fresh air from behind the headlight too. Give them a call. Maybe they can help you out with some ideas. I believe they did sell the induction system separately for anybody with a 3.8 V6. Who knows, maybe it could be reworked a little to help your Aurora.

BTW, I believe 2/3 to 3/4 of the induction gains are due to the superior K&N filter media being used. Therefore, if you have the K&N panel filter, you have a large part of the potential intake gains that are possible. Yes, the aftermarket induction or modifying the air box adds more in the 4000's and starts to give a noticeable kick when used with a new K&N, but the filter upgrade is pretty darn good just by itself too.
  • Options
    rjs - why don't you just get a big ol' 15 quart pan? I've been using it and it's great. I then just take it to Autozone to dump it. It's so easy. The jugs must be a pain.

THE TEST - Ok, drum roll please. The last 3100 miles or so have been with an AC Delco oil filter. I think I'll change oil today and grab a sample in the lab bottle and send it in. I did this with about 3000 miles on the oil using the Mobile 1 oil filter. It's not scientific, but I am interested to see if the amount of dirt in the oil is any different.

I found a loop-hole to get the tests done for free at the local dealer - so why not see if the M1 filter really makes a difference?
  • Options
    800 - I'm hoping for that TB info from you. I'm going to see if I can find one on a junked car (might be hard to find) to send in for the core.

It would be cool to have to take it off myself in the yard to get the practice.

Well, a couple weeks and you call Corsa. Tell them it could be two cars. I'll call a little while later after that. I'll probably drive up there and may even meet you. With the exhaust, you will be way over the top.
  • Options
    Actually I do use a 15 quart oil pan now. My 8 quart pan wasn't cutting it (obviously). I hate the 15 quart because I have to jack the car up a bit to fit it underneath. Those oil pans get gross and oily from changing. There is no way I'd put it in my car. So I carefully transfer it into nice clean milk jugs to take to the transfer station.

I checked out thrasher once before when you mentioned it, but I couldn't find any Monte info. Maybe I will try calling them to see what tips they have. The K&N panel filter for my car is also cross-listed (through Summit Racing since K&N doesn't seem to have a cross-list feature) for the 1994-99 3.8L Monte Carlo as well as numerous other 3.1, 3.4, and 3.8L GM cars. It's a bit surprising that it would be enough filter for a 4.0L or 4.6L V8... My car already has a heat shield (the airbox) and an intake behind the headlight. I guess the main improvement to be made would be more filter surface area. Really, though, I'm pretty happy with the K&N. I don't know that it did much, but that and an exhaust is good enough. I'm not trying to squeeze every last hp out of the engine. If I wanted to do that I would have kept the Corvette.

That TB does sound intriguing, though. I'd prefer it be from a new TB rather than someone else's core, though. I hate that kind of stuff. I don't want a part from some other dude's car... It's like remanufactured parts. I hate those too...

Let us know about the oil test. I'm really curious. I am currently using the ACDelco Ultraguards but I do like the regular Duraguards too. That's what I will probably go to when the Ultraguards become unavailable (if they haven't already).
  • Options
    rjs - you have to get the ramps for the oil change (sounds like you don't have them). I got the heavy duty plastic ones. I know, plastic sounds bad, but they are thick as hell and rated for 11,000 lbs I believe. It gets the car up just right and the pan doesn't get too dirty at all. If a little drips over the side, I wipe it down and the bottom too. I also put something on the bottom of the trunk just in case.

If you get the ramps, you have to put one of those rubber backed bathroom rugs under it. The plastic ramp just doesn't grip the concrete. My concrete garage floor is painted which really makes it slick. I had one shoot out like a bullet as I was slowly climbing up the ramp. It happened so fast I didn't even know what happened. After using the grippy area rug under the ramp, I've had no more problems.

As for the filter area, there is no calculation or figuring on GM's part. I'm sure of it. It's all about what air box will fit nicely under the hood - and be quiet. In addition, in many cases very little of the filter area is used because of the flow patterns in the box. That's probably another reason K&N helps as much as it does - the restrictive paper filter probably becomes exponentially restrictive when all the air is trying to come through that small area that's actually used. The K&N probably doesn't start limiting out on available flow nearly as quickly as paper.

The Impala 3.8 literally only uses a small part of the filter equivalent to the filter being an in-line type filter. The dirt is only on a circle about 4 inches in diameter. It's really sad. But this design probably helps keep resonations and intake sound to a minimum - especially because the 3.8's air box doesn't have the insulation and double wall stuff the classic has.

Anyway, I'm sure your 4.0 benefits from the K&N as much as the classic. The classic stock air box has that horn in the bottom that brings the vast majority of air to a small spot on the filter. The clean side is pretty restricted to that same area as well. I doubt the new 4.0 is any worse, so the results should be the same. Most of the K&N gains are upper 4000's and above, so I never really seemed to feel much of a difference either until I opened up the box.

Just changed oil on the beast. I grabbed it just as the last - very hot and mid way through the drain period. I think that's what they instructed. The last one had 2,950 miles, this one has 3,115. Close enough. I guess the driving on each averaged out to the same type of driving. The biggest difference is that the Delco filter had a somewhat dirtier K&N which should be a bit more efficient to trap dirt. The last test showed only 4 ppm dirt. That is supposedly very very low according to the lab. So if the Delco is anywhere close to that, it will make it hard to justify the M1 oil filter. I am sold on the M1 oil however.
  • Options
    I am going to try to do this. The TB is just a metal part that's really pretty simple. I don't see what's so bad about getting a used one and just cleaning it up. Other than the moving plate and spring it just doesn't seem to be any worse than using a used bolt or screw. It's just a chunk of metal.

Taylor got me going again and this sounds pretty cool. I would not be surprised if RSM could do the same to the new 4.0 TB if one was sent to them. I don't see why not.

BTW, those new Aurora 17's are great for greasing the two fittings on the rear of the classic. I just reach through the wheel and clean the fitting and then hit it with the grease. Very nice. I can clean the inside of the barrel pretty easy too with the extra clearance around the rotor.
  • Options
    Garnes- The throttle body info will be in the mail tomarrow, Monday. I promise. GO FOR IT!!Are you gonna Dyno it too? I agree with you about TB's, it's just a chunk of metal with one spring, basicly. When I got mine, it looked new. RSM cleaned up wonderfully. All of the internal air paths are bored out so the inside is prefect, the new butterfly they made fit perfectly inside the new 80mm hole GREAT. No complaints on the quality of the Throttle Body, even though it's technically used. I did look into how much a new Throttle body was, I think around +$400 if I remember right. I'm sure RSM will bore out a customer supplied TB, weither it be new or out of a junk yard they don't care. It's going to work/look like new when their done anyways. I bet they would bore out any make/model TB, so 2nd gen Aurora's have an option too. Give them a call.

TPS enhancer- Anybody know more about this?

800wattAURORA
  • Options
    800 - Thanks. I'll be looking for it. I am making my list of Junk yards to call tomorrow. I would like to keep the original if I can get a used one cheap. I have a stock air box and I'll even have the stock exhaust cut as needed to fit in the trunk for the ride home. I of course have the stock wheels with the tires on them too.

I would like to dyno it too. I'll have to talk to the dyno garage and set up an agreement/understanding that I run a baseline or two and then need some time to work before other runs. If I do this during regular hours when he can attend to business in between, I hope the cost should not get out of hand. I would like to change it out there for a same day comparison. I've had differences of at least 3 HP from different days. We'll see. One step at a time. Goofing with this will keep me occupied while waiting for fall/Corsa.

I think RJS is getting a bad bug for power. He won't admit it, but he too can't stop thinking of ways to make that 4.0 rip even more. It's your fault and perhaps mine too.
  • Options
    I don't know what you're talking about Garnes... It isn't like I dream about that V8 and the sound it makes... or daydream about the airbox and how a cone could fit in there... or think about riding a bicycle around for a few weeks while I send my heads out to get polished... or find myself playing that Corsa sound clip over and over again... or think about making some yuppie in his new 330i wish it came with a return policy...

Ok, I admit it... The bug has bitten me. There were a ton of things I wanted to do to the Corvette but never did. Now I want to do them to the Aurora. I think a port/polish job would do wonders to wake up the engine without any bad side-effects. That usually doesn't hurt the low-end torque or the smoothness of the motor. It's more like a K&N in that it just helps everything. Fortunately a lot of my bug is kept in check by the fact that the Aurora is the only new car I've ever owned, plus the fact that I'm still making payments on it. However, I am interested in smooth power. I keep thinking about HID lamps and cross-drilled rotors too. I don't think I'd want to firm up the suspension, though, as I like the current ride quality. The TB does sound interesting. I know it's a good add-on for most muscle cars. (By the way, I didn't mean anyone should be wary because they are used. I was just revealing that I'm a weirdo...)

I've been looking around for a 1/4 mile track to hit. I think that would be pretty fun to do and to see. Plus, I'd like to do better than the magazine times for my car.

P.S. I don't like ramps. I'd rather jack the car. But really, I love being able to change oil without doing anything to the car. If only that drain pan were lower... I'll find one that's as high as my 8 quart pan but wider around so I can do that again. I hate jacking the car too. I don't like the jackhead pushing on the frame. I've been keeping my eye out for a rubber jackhead I can use instead... Like I said, I'm a weirdo...
  • Options
    No, I'm the Crazy one RJS, and a Weirdo too! Aren't we all, we sit in front of our computers and think/talk "cars" for hours on end. I'll admit it! Auroraholic Anonymous

(sitting in an AA meeting)
    "Hello everbody. My name is Taylor, and I'm addicted to my car."

Yes, I Am!

800wattAURORA
  • Options
    800 - I forgot to ask - do those side units (TB position and the valve) on the TB have gaskets that need to be replaced when you attach them to the new TB? Was the old gasket still fine? No gasket?

RJS - call RSM and find out what they say about doing a TB for you. I'm interested to find out what you find out including any induction improvements.

Yes, I did not like pulling yp the ramp at first either (weird feeling) but have gotten used to it. It's really easy. Just remember those rubber backed rugs under the ramp.

As for the stop light Olympics, I would like very much to participate and afterwards have my car tested for steroids. However there will be nothing to see except for the better exhaust. Airbox (looks stock - heh heh) Throttle body (looks stock - heh heh). Pretty cool.
  • Options
    mariposarosadamariposarosada Member Posts: 54
    Anybody have Bridgestone Turanzas on their Aurora? I asked the salesperson at Tirerack to recommend a super-quiet tire, and he suggested the Turanzas. They rate very well on the customer survey for low noise. Incidentally, Kumho makes a tire that rates even better on noise. Anybody use either the Turanzas or Kumhos? If so, any recommendations? I'm primarily interested in LOW noise.
  • Options
    Throttle Body: Garnes- On the IAT sensor & IAT valve,(the two things on the TB) there just screwed on. There's a O-ring on one the valve thing, It looked fine so I just re-installed it. The manual dosen't say it needs replacing when "touched" like the TB gasket DOES. Don't worry about those 2 things on the side of the TB, Just un-screw them and put them right in the "new" TB. Those were the first things I took out after I got the MAF off. It really isn't hard. Your call yesterday surprised me! It was COOL! I'm Pumped for the Corsa install in the fall. I don't want to wait.

RJS-Considering a bored-out TB swap for you. I bet RSM would make you one. Don't think it would be a problem.

800wattAURORA
  • Options
    800 - thanks man. I called a bunch of places. Only one had the TB and it was $175. I still think 175 is worth keeping the original (OK, I'm weird about that), so I'll probably get that one and send it to RSM. Just for fun, I checked the dealer and they want over $500 for one!! Figures.

It seems there are very few Auroras in the bone yard. NOBODY had one. The one place had to get it from somewhere else. Those duffers don't wrap them around telephone poles much.

I'll call Corsa in August to get them thinking about it. If anybody else is interested in a performance exhaust for the classic, let it be known. Perhaps other systems can be made and shipped when we visit.
  • Options
    Garnes-Congrats on finding a Aurora at a junk yard, I checked the Chicago land area(5-yards) and couldn't find one.$175 isn't bad. I should of looked around for one. I still have my original TB and haven't shipped it back yet. I don't have too, they just keep my $300 bucks. Haven't decided yet, but I'll probably send it back since there's no problem with the 80mm one. I don't plan on making it stock again. I've kept all the intake & air-box stuff. So I could make it "look" stock again if ever needed. I think I'll have Corsa cut up my exhaust to keep. Should.hopefully fit in the trunk/back seat. Don't plan on taking off the Corsa for any reason either, but you never know.

I'm in the progress of making a site for my 800 watt Aurora on www.cardomain.com I'm the 11th Aurora on there. Check it out, I'll keep up dating it. Hopefull I'll finally get my pics up in 2-3weeks. Mean time, I'm typing in all the info. Make one yourself, it's EASY and free.

Question- What's the Classic's curb weight? 3909lb? I should probably add the weight of my stereo system too, huh? Speaker boxes, nice subs with heavy magnets, and my false wall made out of heavy wood probably weighs 15-25lbs.

800wattAurora
  • Options
    sbeaupresbeaupre Member Posts: 21
    I put on the Turanza (sp?) "H" Revo's about 15K miles ago. Like them a lot...VERY quiet, handle OK in dry, excellent in the rain. Also had virtually no wear in the 15K, so that's a plus too.
  • Options
    I think a couple places actually had a car, but the engine was removed - hence no TB. One place said that the engine on that would definitely come out. I guess that makes sense. The engine probably brings a nice quick profit for them.

I'd save the original exhaust in case the car was wrecked. If you could get the exhaust off, I'd imagine it would be worth a nice price to somebody. I just could not see junking it with the Corsa on it. Also, if you sell it and ever buy one of those boring lexus cars (heh heh) somebody may have an issue with the exhaust - you never know. The TB - who's going to know? It's probably not very important. With the pass through to the trunk, the exhaust probably would not need to be cut up much.

Classic aurora weight is listed as 3967 everywhere I've seen including the brochure. It's a tank. 25 lbs isn't going to matter.

The old brochures for the classic are very nice and include a lot of info. If you want one for your 96, let me know. I know a place that you can get them from.
  • Options
    Garnes, I think that's the right weight. The Olds engineers claimed a savings of 165 lbs. and the new Aurora weighs in at 3802 lbs. Add 165 to that and you get 3967.

Sometimes magazines will weight the car themselves or will try to add the weight of the driver or something. I think that's why sometimes some magazines have numbers that don't seem to jive.
  • Options
    HenryHenry Member Posts: 1,106
    Okay gang, that one went over my head. Anyone care to explain?
  • Options
    musclecar97musclecar97 Member Posts: 111
    Uncle Ben's is a brand name of a food product. A grain. He's pushing the literary boundaries of whats allowed to be posted.

I leave tomorrow to do the 1/4mile runs with the airbox mods and K&N. The car show with drag racing by the particpants is on Saturday. I'll report back on July 30. Hopefully my reaction times won't screw things up too bad. I'm planning on taking out the sparetire and jack and having less than a quarter of a tank of gas in the car. I'll also forgo donuts for breakfast that morning.
  • Options
    HenryHenry Member Posts: 1,106
  • Options
    Musclecar - I thought some strips measure the actual time of travel with a sensor at the wheel or something so that the reaction time is factored out. I think you may get another time that has the reaction factored in (from the light).

Also, I hope those tires are in very good shape. My old MXV4's still had some life left but really spun compared to the new MXV4's. Big difference.
This discussion has been closed.