Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Cadillac Catera Maintenance & Repair

Comments

• gngurugnguru Member Posts: 108
    Wow, not an easy job to do with four camshafts and it also requires special tools that you may have to purchase from your local Cardiac dealer.. :mad: Then again you may be able to improvise as one of the tools is to lock each pair of camshafts in place and I would think you could shape a block of wood to do that. However, since you're talking about tearing the engine down, you should be able to handle setting the timing. ;) Also, if mileage on the car is excessive, I would definitely consider replacing the timing belt since you're right there anyway. If you'll send me an email address, I'll scan the pages from the tech manual which detail how to set the timing. Good luck and let us know if it starts or the valves got banged up...
    Rick
    gnguru@hotmail.com

please put "catera" in subject box...
  • ciaradiorciaradior Member Posts: 6
    I guess it never ends with this car, huh? Well, when I thought all my problems were solved with this car more problems arised :sick: . I had issues with my abs module and my check engine light lit up. I was able to have my abs module rebuilt and installed back into my car. My Mass Air Flow Sensor was bad and I had it replaced and thankfully my check engine light came off. So, I was able to pass emissions. Well, within that week my check engine lit right back up and my radiator light lit up also. Im assuming I have a defected Mass Air Flow Sensor but as far as the radiator light I have no clue whats wrong. I went to AutoZone to run a diagnostic test and these codes came up U2108, P0306, P0304, P0300... I don't understand what the U2108 code means. Could that be why my check engine light is on? Why is my radiator sensor on when my car doesnt even over heat? My car drives great. Surprisingly, I dont want to get rid of it because I love the car but if I continue to have these problems Im gonna have to :cry: . Someone help me here. Have you had any of these problem :confuse: s? Thanks :)

Ciara
  • phil2400phil2400 Member Posts: 29
    Code U2108 is a communications error between the ECM and ABS module. You just had the ABS module repaired. Try resetting the code, and see if it returns. The radiator light comes on when you are low on coolant in the reservoir. This is the first warning before low coolant may cause an overheat.
  • gwhitcombgwhitcomb Member Posts: 5
    I have a 1998 Catera. I have had some electrical issue with the alarm system ( Ihave posted on this earlier; no responses!). Now the issue is when I turn-on the lights and use the hi-beams, the hi-beam indicator-light comes on, as it is supposed to do. However, when I shut-off the car and lights are off, and the car is turned-off, the blue-high beam indicator light still is on; shines like beacon in the dark! It will not go out, until I take the negative battery cable off the battery.

Any ideas on this?
  • ssklsskl Member Posts: 45
    Got a miss on #4, Fire & comp. OK. Thought was on #3 because Cyl. #'s start #1 on frt. rt. instead of lft. frt. like most. Didn't scope since teardown inevitable, want to check gaskets anyway. At first dismayed and cautious due to appearance of hidden items. Soon found out (following manual) that disassembly of intake manifold is easier than most engines I've worked on. All O-ring gaskets in machined grooves much better than flat gaskets. Note! O-ring gasket for coolant line to throttle body on top of plenum was deteriorated and may be the cause of many of the problems I've seen on postings with various coolant leaks. O-rings may be a weak point which can cause trouble (remember the "Challenger") and how a small item like an O-ring can make a Catera owner think his or her car is done. I'm an aircraft engineer and am impressed so far with the design and condition of this '98,--104,000 mi car that I recently purchased.
    For all---- info. to be continued as I bench check inj's. or go deeper into valve train as needed. I've heard Cad mechanics do not like to work on Cateras because of the unfamilar mechanical design of systems. Therefore very costly to repair.
    Try dimming lights before turning all off. Sounds like sentinel prob.?
  • acurryacurry Member Posts: 27
    hello everyone i have a 2000 catera for awhile my dome lights on come on while the car is off if i start the car they go out. now my remote to unlock my doors or by the button on driver door doesnt work the fuse keeps blowing. can anyone tell me whats going on and how to take care of this matter its a real pain also since that happen i am not able to open the trunk unless i put a new fuse in and that blows shortly after i put it in also. thanks
  • MikiveeMikivee Member Posts: 2
    2001 Catera - Can someone please tell me how to fix this and what area to look in I have no heat on the driver's side of the car
  • bloodyknucklzbloodyknucklz Member Posts: 2
    Sorry, I can't help, but have a 98 Catera with no heat on passenger side, so maybe problem is related.
  • bloodyknucklzbloodyknucklz Member Posts: 2
    Can anyone help I have a 98 Catera that occasionally wont start, I checked and its getting spark at the plugs, but still not starting. there are no codes, but recently died while driving, and had to tow home. A mechanic I no longer trust said it sounded like the fuel pump, but replacing it didn't solve the problem. Now he's thinking fuel pump relay. I've been reading a lot about crank position sensors going bad in these. Does anyone know you would still get spark if the problem was a bad crank position sensor? After replacing fuel pump car ran well, but dies after about 10 minutes, restarted right away, but again only ran for 10 minutes, and this time would not restart until the next day. Any Ideas? Local Cadillac dealer is not an option.
  • milo14milo14 Member Posts: 1
    The check engine has been on for about a year and had no issues. 3 weeks ago at a stop light the car died and the fuel cap light came on I went and opened and closed the cap and it started right up with no more problems that day. 4 days later the car was in park and running and died the fuel cap light came on again did the same thing opened and closed the cap and it started back up and died again right away. I took it to my mechanic and got the code P0110 for mass air flow sensor. He changed that and the check engine light is off but the car still dies. Has anyone else had similar problems? Any suggestions? Please Help!
  • Nick_ZNick_Z Member Posts: 2
    I bought this catera with 95000k couple weeks ago and week later i noticed a minor cckkkk noise coming with something directly involved with the serpintine belt. I tried to identify where the noise is exactly coming from, but couldn't. Now yester day i noticed a couple of drips after i drove. So, i put some white cardboard down to determine what the leak was. It was reddish so i think it is coolant. Now today i drove to grocery store and back and parked. The leak has gotten progressively worse. :mad: After looking at it, I think it is the water pump going out. I don't know for sure. It is weekend and no place open so can't have it checked out yet. I am concerned due to how fast the leak has gotten in less than 24 hours. If anyone has any ideas or suggestions relating to what it may be or how much it will cost please let me know.
    Thanks
  • ibspottedibspotted Member Posts: 4
    I own a 99 with 110000 miles I have the same problem. I replaced the serpintine belt about 5000 miles ago. The noise maybe a pulley that is just a stand alone pulley which I had to have replaced. The fluid I beleive is coming from the power steering pump. I have a good friend that's a professional mechanic that will look at it this weekend.
  • calicagocalicago Member Posts: 53
  • calicagocalicago Member Posts: 53
    Hi guy's seems like a lot of new problems been poping up on you guy's guess what ME TOO LOL got a chance to see some real Hot rod cateras And none of them Have the original engine most of them I saw was 5.7 LS3 Or 3.8 Turbos Now what do that Tell you And to all you guys that drive civics..........YOU GO GIRL and MERRY CHRISMAS
  • Deltaboy5033Deltaboy5033 Member Posts: 5
    I just purchased a 2000 Catera with 118,000 miles! Everything seems good but a few things on the inside of the car! The radio always has to be turned on when I crank the car and sometimes it just wont come on period! No matter if you were listening to it when you stopped earlier! Also it will just cut off while going down the road, and then when this happens the trunk button on the dash and the button on the key fob wont operate the trunk either! and after I get out of the car and lock it all the face lights on the radio stay on, and all the others go out after a few seconds! Also yesterday my heads lights came on at work for no reason and killed my battery so I turned off the twilight sintenal.. What could be doing this? Cadillac said I need a new radio because its not communicating with there computer and they can tell me why its doing it for that reason...Just wondering If it might be something else?? :confuse: HELP!!!!
  • ironwomanironwoman Member Posts: 15
    The same thing with the radio happened with my 2000 Catera a few months ago. The problem was the relay board. They replaced the board, and no more problems with the radio or trunk opener. Hope this helps.
  • BFavreGirl4EvrBFavreGirl4Evr Member Posts: 1
    I just bought the car last week...apparently someone must have broken into the car and they replaced the window, but it isn't on the track. I took the door apart, but I can't get the window to go up and down. It isn't the motor b/c the mechanism works fine - I can see it going up and down when I operate the window. How do I get the plastic parts back onto the track so that the window will go up and down? :confuse:

Also, I think the car is possessed. I call her Christine because sometimes the alarm will come on for no reason at all - when I'm driving the car. I have to pull over, turn off the car and turn the key in the drivers side lock for it to stop. :blush:

The trunk has a mind of it's own also...sometimes it will open if I push the button inside and sometimes it won't. Sometimes if I turn it on, the trunk will then open. Other times I have to take the key out for the trunk to work.

I guess I should be thankful that the guy I bought the car from removed the stereo system because I don't have to worry about the radio going on and off at will. It also doesn't have a sunroof, which I'm also glad about because I've read that those like to open and close, with or without the car being on!

After I get the window working, my next task is to figure out why the driver's side won't unlock the car doors but does lock them. I'm guessing that the broken window ties into this issue. I really hate NOT knowing how to do something...and unfortunately, I don't know anyone who can teach me these things, but I'm a willing learner!

Thanks to anyone who can help.

Mich
    Is that something that I can do? And does it cost much?? Thanks for the help!!
  • fehufehu Member Posts: 7
    just since the weather shifted to in the 20's and below my car won't start. sometimes it will after about 20 minutes of trying but the last two days it won't start at all.???
  • FroyFroy Member Posts: 3
    I had the same problem with my 2000 Cadillac Catera Sport. Does you cadi have no horsepower when you are stopped and try to peel out of the intersection and have no juice? Also once you turn it off and turn it on it runs normal again? If you answer yes to these questions then in about 6 months you will need a new transmission. I though it was the stupid computer again but its not. Good luck!
    I have the same problem with my 2000 Catera Sport. I really wanna drive this car off the cliff because of the stupid computer problems. My radio does not work and trunk release I gotta put in drive to open it! Wonderful german technology! May I ask you how much it cost you to put the relay board? Thanks a lot!
    I just recently replace my radiator and a couple days ago the upper hose came off. I thought no big deal so I put a clamp back on and I was able to drive the car home however there was no heat. The next day I put the Dex Cool antifreeze and notice the milkshake in my antifreeze reservoir. There is no antifreeze in the oil and my transmission is brand spankin new. The headgaskets I recently replaced 6 months ago. Any advice anyone? My guess is the oil cooler? Has anyone done this job before? Please help????

Please note my car has 355,000 kilometers and this car was a great car FOR ME until 300,000 kilometers with no major repairs. I still have the original timing belt or I am assuming it is chain because it hasnt broken yet. I guess I am one of the few lucky ones!
  • ironwomanironwoman Member Posts: 15
    I'm not sure how much it was. I will check my records once I get home from vacation. At first they said it would be covered by the extended warrantee, so I paid nothing when I picked up the car...then it turned out it wasn't covered. I think it was around $200.
  • annie56annie56 Member Posts: 1
    I love my 99 catera sport aside from the usual fixable problems I am veryyyy happy with my silver baby
  • merckxmerckx Member Posts: 565
    It's a real pleasure to hear of someone else who is enjoying their Catera. My wife was so distrustful of our 2001 that last June I bought her a 2008 Buick Lucerne. I've kept the Catera as a weekend car,as it is worth very little on the usee car market...I keep waiting for something else to happen to it,but it's been fine for a while now....Only up to 52,000 miles.
    It is a little irksome that the collant level sensor went bad...i just haven't bothered to get the panel warning light to shut off;I understand the only fix is to replace the overflow tank.
  • leevandam1leevandam1 Member Posts: 28
    It is about a 10 minute fix. Get a new overflow tank, ( as the sensor is in the btm. of the tank. remove all hoses and un plug the wires from under the tank, replace the unit re connect the hoses and it is all set to go. Buy the new tank from ebay or from the Cad. Dlr. in Chicago and the price is lower. check ebay first..... best not to use a used one as the sensor may be bad again... Good luck. By the way I have had the everyday things go wrong with our Catera, but I have been able to do the repairs myself. Water tank, heater valve and the cps ( sensor). the shop would have charged me bout 1200.00 for all three repairs, but only cost was parts about or under 100.00 as I recall.. " GET ER DONE. LOVE OUR CATERA. LEE...........
    It is about a 10 minute fix. Get a new overflow tank, ( as the sensor is in the btm. of the tank. remove all hoses and un-plug the wires from under the tank, replace the unit re connect the hoses and it is all set to go. Buy the new tank from ebay or from the Cad. Dlr. in Chicago and the price is lower. check ebay first..... best not to use a used one as the sensor may be bad again... Good luck. By the way I have had the everyday things go wrong with our Catera, but I have been able to do the repairs myself. Water tank, heater valve and the cps ( sensor). the shop would have charged me bout 1200.00 for all three repairs, but only cost was parts about or under 100.00 as I recall.. " GET ER DONE." LOVE OUR CATERA. LEE...........
    well so far I know the battery is good and will hold a charge until I try and try to start it and eventually it runs down. The car turns over but won't start. Put carb leaner in the intake and nothing and then into the spark cylinders and still no start. It's almost like the computer is telling it not to start for some reason.
    I have a lot of oil on the engine from a valve cover gasket leak not sure it that is an issue?
    Starter is working because it turns over and the ingnition obviously. End of my ropes and cadi dealers down here want your first born to fix them just can't afford it.
    Any ideas????
    I suggest to first of all to see if there is spark to any one cyl.. You can do that easily by twisting the easiest to get at plug wire at that plug location and pulling wire off plug carefully with pliers. Then set that plug wire end at about 1/2 inch from a surface of metal (to ground) to cause an arc that an observer can see while starting is attempted, If it arcs after several cycles you will know that the cyls. are most likely getting spark and the problem might be a lack of fuel supply.
    Try this first and we'll go from there.
    By the way carb cleaner is not meant to be used as a fuel to start with, I don't like any starting fluid, gas is good enough. You can blow the top off your intake with any fuel shot into the intake. The fuel injectors must be the only supplier of fuel.
  • gngurugnguru Member Posts: 108
    Read my post #801. Since carb cleaner in intake did not fire it (probably not a fuel problem) I would try replacing the CKP (crankshaft position sensor). If you can wait a couple of days for the part, the cheapest place to get it is GMPartsDirect on line (about $50 + or - a few $$). About 45-60 minutes labor. If that doesn't fix it repost. Good luck.
  • mazeusamazeusa Member Posts: 5
    Hello Everyone, I am glad to hear that some people still enjoy their Cateras, I do enjoy my 1999 even though since I bought it over a year ago I spent almost twice the price I paid for it to repair its various and SUDDEN problems, which some were repaired and some I've learned to live with :) Anyway, since this car made me broke I am trying to avoid going to the dealer anyway possible so I am back to ask if you can help me with two questions:
    1. The dashboard light fuse keep blowing, I replace it and about 15min later it goes (only when the light is on) nothing else seems to be affected by this, all the warning lights and signals work fine and are not affected. I tried to see if the AC/CD/Fans/heater being on/off makes any difference but it does not. the fuse is 10amp, I tried with 25amp and it also went. Not sure if this is related but I had the passenger side window replaced about 2 months ago (not at Cadillac dealer), about a week later the dashboard fuse started going. I know this is open for many possibilities but if someone had similar problem or any ideas please share.
    2. Where can I find replacement arms for the rear window sun shade? the hinges at the top were broken since I bought the car, I tried different types of glue with no luck. and I tried to get replacements at salvage yards and ebay but could not find them their either. not sure if they are called something else. Thanks for any help. :)
    ummmm We have had Cateras since 2002, and are on our second one. We love our Catera, but must confess that I have never seen a "rear window shade on either one, I will have to check again...???????????? Lee BRB

( just checked and can not find it.........)
  • ArtXArtX Member Posts: 3
    I buy 3 yrs ago catera `97, I like this car for comfort ride, but....only for comfort ride, nothing more, and nothing special more. A lot problems with electric, lights inside sometimes work, sometimes no, nobody knows why. And big problem with rust on forward doors, left and right( I saw few other cateras with rust in this same places) This Car is comfortable mistake. After this winter I will try sell this car, and I wanna buy BMW 525 /530 from 1997-99 I know this is better choice like catera. ;) :shades:
  • az_hvyaz_hvy Member Posts: 30
    I have a 98 and no sunshades in mine ether Maybe previous owner had them installed As far as the dashboard fuse no clue sorry cant help
    Please tell me exactly where the rust is in the door area so I can prevent it on my mint '96.
    My son watched some Cateras being built in the Opel plant in southern Germany when he went to college there. Funny, they used them for police cars since they were built so good for the Germans.
    I suspect after hearing all the electrical probs with them that the export ones included some intentional fopaughs (electrical mysteries) during assembly.
    Our 635 BMW was trouble free but wasn't as good on gas as the Mercedes Benz 300e, and insurance was much higher. I am an (unusual car) nut, mostly odd ones
    I only traded my Reatta for this Catera because it was so sharp looking, missing on one cyl. and apart now to fix and no regrets yet. Dave
  • mazeusamazeusa Member Posts: 5
    Thanks alot guys, seems like I am going to have to go to the dealer after all; just for the dashboard lights fuse problem, for now I can live without the sunshade. By the way it was factory installed in mine, according to the manual the shades are an option, seems like a rare one that's why no replacement parts available.
    Thanks.
  • TonyJ1023TonyJ1023 Member Posts: 1
    Did you ever get a response as to what caused the no heat condition and how to fix it? I too have no heat out of the passenger side. It makes the passenger uncomfortable on cold days.
    Thanks
  • thekid38thekid38 Member Posts: 1
    it is the oil cooler for sure I just replaced mine and now it works fine. the trick is the oil cooler is between the head gaskets. not a hard fix but just a little time consuming. I got an oil cooler out of a junk yard for $80 dollars and they pulled it out for me. after you fix it you will have to flush the old coolant out a few times to make sure it is completly clean. also i replaced the dex cool with the blue stuff...
  • MikiveeMikivee Member Posts: 2
    Never got a response to this problem. Please keep in touch, please post if you hear anything and I will do the same. I can't believe no one else has or had this problem.
    Ok I bought the part its called a Module M/Function part number is 90494163...Can anyone tell me where this goes on the car? The Cadillac parts counter said it had no info on where this part was to go which seems weird...Any help would br great! Thanks!! :sick:
  • catera1129catera1129 Member Posts: 1
    hello fellow cateras.just have an issue with my 97 catera.the leveling light is on and i checked the fuse and noticed that it was popped so i changed the fuse and popped soon as i put the fuse in.anyone have any ideas on what the problem is?
  • brokeBAMAguybrokeBAMAguy Member Posts: 1
    Like everyone else here i have had many a problem with my catera, :lemon: , but im in college and don't have the money to get most of them fixed, so they have all piled up to now. The biggest problem is that sometimes after turning the car on and off 4 or 5 times in a short time span it will not start (crank but not fire up), but after a jump its fine. After a few months of this the battery will go dead and i have to replace it. Then recently i went to try to start the car and it woulden't even try to turn over, no clicking, no noise, nothing. All the lights work and nothing looks dim but no crank, much like one of the earlyer posts on the forum, #858 by gnguru. I had this battery tested and its fine and the alternator was tested last time i got a battery, so 6 months ago, and it checked out. gnguru's problem was fixed with a starter, but i wanted some more feedback before i started buying parts and having them installed. Any advice??
    I 'd have to go with the starter problem. that is the way they go " sometime' Try to pick one up from Ebay or from a bone yard. Lee
    By the way are you from Alabama"
    I am from Daphne.............
    A good mystery is why I bought a Catera. Your problem has a good puzzle to solve which I like.
    Might be the starter but I'm wondering why the engine would start only when jumped when the starter would turn the engine. A clue from that might be that the starter armature is grounding out due to worn armature bearings and takes most of the lone battery current not allowing engine to fire up but the jump provides enough current to fire the engine.
    The other possibility is a poor connection at the starter, should hear a click even though starter is bad which indicates a bad solenoid or relay.
    Try leaving lights on and try to start to see if lights die when starter is engaged, if they do die then most likely the starter is bad, if they don't die then that means starter is not connected, the current flow is broken, then likely it's not the starter. .
  • dave53dave53 Member Posts: 2
    The trannie has sliped from drive to nutral at slow speed, 15-20 mph twice now.
    We have conserns since we found out about it's interference engine after we drove it home" as is"
    The wife loves the car, except the drivers side seat heater is inoperative.
    Any ideas about this symtom and how to deal with it.
    We have had the car 5 days, It has 88,000 miles
    Thank you
    Dave
    Are you sure it's slipping into nuetral or just slipping from one gear to the next?
    Catera's have a sealed transmission so no way to put fluid into them. But if you go to one of the lube shops and can get them to agree to it they can inject some fluid into the trani for a temporary fix. But you have a leak somewhere evidently so it's probably a gasket. Catera's are known for the gaskets wearing out quickly. Mine only has 47K miles and I have two bad gaskets to fix already.
    Just some thoughts on the situation as my last catera had a trani problem.
    The best thing to do is to check as much as you can before buying parts. It can get expensive. Is the battery dead again? A couple of things you can check are as follows. Check if the engine is getting spark. If the engine isn't getting any spark and will turn over but not start it's the Crank shaft sensor. Can get one at auto zone for around 72 bucks. pull off the spark plug assembly and check one of the chambers to see if it is getting spark.
    You can also check the fuel pump by spraying a small amount of carb cleaner (NOT starter fluid) into the intake. If the car starts when you do that then it's most likely the fuel pump. but if you are not getting it to start AND not getting spark it's most likely the crank sensor.
    This sensor can fool you by starting sometimes and then just going completely out. Hope this helps only tips I have right now. Good luck
    Hope these tips help you out.
  • kwwallskwwalls Member Posts: 1
    i just bought a 2001 catera and i love the car but i have a couple of questions. has anyone had the light that illuminates that speedometer go out? mine did as soon as i got it home....... and my passenger side heater only blows cold air??? does the car have two thermostats? anyone have the heater problem?
  • drascodrasco Member Posts: 1
    Have the transmission serviced at a transmission shop. Make sure they install a new transmission oil filter, and have them take apart the old one to see if it's full of old friction material. You may need to have the trans rebuilt. If there's not a lot of junk in the transmission pan or the filter, then have the low band readjusted. It's the band in the rear part of the trans. There's a screw in plug on the right side of the trans pan where you put the fluid in. You check it with the car running in park. Oil should just be dribbling out. That's considered full. Good luck!