Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Cadillac Catera Maintenance & Repair

Comments

• sharman1o1sharman1o1 Member Posts: 1
    Hi all,I am 1998 catera owner and there is a strange problems in it lot of bad sensors indicators .some time transmission intermittent and in winter time in morning car take 20 t0 30 minute to shift gear from park to drive or reverse .please help GM help me.
  • lannielannie Member Posts: 1
    I have a 99 Catera and had the same problem. My oil cooler had to be replaced because it was leaking oil into the water system, and also leaking water on the back of the engine. The oil cooler is mounted under the intake on the engine. Cadilac charged me 750.00 to change it out. I wish I had done it my self because it is fairly easy to get to. Usually you can find new oil coolers on E-bay for about half what Cadilac will charge. Hope this will help.
  • caterajunkcaterajunk Member Posts: 30
    Has anyone found out if we Catera owners can do anything about the problems we are having. I was told i had a bad headgasket but after he got into the engine he discovered it
    was a coolant leak 1200.00. Before that timing chain kit problem 1100.00. Please let me know if General Motors will
    reimbuse us for anything, we all seem to experience the same problems which has left a nasty taste in my mouth for cadillac autos
    Same here paid 1200.00 yesterday , all i can do is PRAY for I still owe 5k on the car will pray and pray.
  • deweese28deweese28 Member Posts: 2
    I just bought my wife a 99 cadillac catera for a work car but Iamhaveing soem prbolems like the oil gange keeps going up and down but there is good oil presure speeddomter quti working just last night collant leavly light stays on but it good on collant is there is any way to fix this with out going to a reapair shop if so please let me know I think I got and headacke on my hands Rodney DeWeese if you can help me email a.s.a.p. I have 3 day off and would like to finger it out Rodney
    Hi Rodney,

I have a 2000 Catera and just got it out of shop. My oil pressure was dropping and I could smell oil. First they said I had a bad gasket then after they took the car apart they discover a coolant leak. He said there is a radiator in the engine that was leaking which caused oil and water to mix together. I paid $1200.00 and drove the car 600 miles. Seems to be ok. I am just praying for the car to hold up untill next year this time when I will be done paying for it. I already replaced timimg belt kit. $1100.00. Be careful these cars have aluminum engines and can not take heat. Mine overheated and the computor shut down had to have it towed.

Good Luck, Sharron
  • thomas22thomas22 Member Posts: 4
    I have a 1998 Cateria that I am having an electrical problem with. I have no power to anything on the car.

I have checked all of the fuses and they are all alright. I have traced the current from the battery to the inside fuse box on the car. (I also checked all the fuses under the hood). I get no current to the switch, head lights, interior lights or anything. As far as the anything operating on the car that is electricial, it is dead.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what else I should check and a method to check what ever is suggested? Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.
  • gary63gary63 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2001 Catera, Etienne. My speedometer stopped, then my abs and tcs and engine light came on. Then a week and no problem. Then it repeated this week. Do you think a Crank Sensor Kit replacement will remedy the problem? Thanks!!
    I really don't think the sensor is a problem. As I said, there is no power at all. None to the emergency flashers, headlight, starter, gages, door lights, or anything. I have checked the ground and all of the fuses. I can follow the current from the battery to the interior fuse box. I have not attempted to go from the fuse box since I don't know what could have the effect of completely shutting off all power. Any suggestions are welcome and thank you for yours.
  • gary63gary63 Member Posts: 2
    Azton, did you find out what the problem was? Thanks!
    No, I still have not been able to isolate the problem. Thanks.
  • heather46131heather46131 Member Posts: 1
    You name it and I have had problems with it in my 2000 Cadillac Catera. First, about 2 years ago, my car kept going dead on me. I would go out to start it and it wouldn't even turn over. We replaced the battery. That lasted for about 7 months with no problems, then it did the same thing again. We thought it was just a bad battery. Now, we have to plug the car up every other night into the battery charger so we can get it started. We have put about 10 batteries in it so far. We have had EVERYTHING checked on the car from the wiring to all the fuses.
    Also have a valve cover leak. You can smell the oil through the air & heat vents. We have to turn the blower off when we come to a stop or the smell of the oil overtakes you. We are upside down in the car about 5000.00 so we are stuck in it. I hate this car and will never buy another Cadillac as long as I live.
  • dessa58dessa58 Member Posts: 1
    I hust bought a used 1997 Catera (two days ago!). There is alot of miles on it though, and I mean alot, 120,000 but I love the car. Right now,it is at the dealership they are fixing the brake pad and I was told there is a nail in the right rear tire. Also, I am seeing a low coolant light on. I guess they will deal with that as well. Apart from that, there is no problems, I had the oil changed as well. Only the light for the coolant and brake pads are lighting. Lastnight though, just after I left the dealership, they called to say that they could not get into the car, it won't start and they had to jump start it. They asked me if i was having battery problems, but i wasn't before i got there. My thing is though, should I be expecting alot more problems? I am a new driver and this is my first car...HELP!!!!!
  • couple1010couple1010 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1999 Catera which has been ok for the first 2 years but now.......... Fuel pump went which was a tow and $1,200, but now i have the REAL problem terrible oil leak from the top back of the engine. I have been told that the only way to fix is to replace 2 gaskets at about $ 450 each and that the entire job would be about $ 3,900. i'm from Canada so these figures might be higher than in the US. Going through a quiart of oil every 3 days, driveway is a mess. For anyone who knows are there any options here. Would appreciate the help.
    I have had this problem on other vehicles. Remove the lights in the trunk and under the hood. I have had both lights stay on after the trunk or hood is shut and that drains the battery. You can't see the lights on because when you lift the trunk or hood the light will come on as they should.

Let me know how you come out or if you have already removed the lights.
  • heartbroken97heartbroken97 Member Posts: 1
    I've had a 1997 Cat for 3 or 4 years now and thought we've replaced everything possible. Now the thing just turns over and doesn't start. My husband is determined it's the fuel pump --I'm not convinced. We can't find the fuel pump relay because our owner's manual tells us it is in position #20, but there's no #20 spot. We really wanted to fix this without taking it to the dealer again it's usually $1,400 every time we take it and past experience is that we take it in for one thing and they determine even more is wrong with it. I just want to know where the fuel pump relay is...
  • manfromjaxmanfromjax Member Posts: 2
    I have the exact same problem on my 2002 catera. They charged me a $185 to tell me that it will cost about $2000 to fix the computer. At that point I was to pissed because I just spent $915 for a brake job, which led to replacing all my fuses for another 900, then which lead to the Speedometer,abs/tcs problem which they said will cost 2000. Well, I wasn't going to pay that since it really didn't affect my driving. BUT Now I have leaking antifreeze which I find out is because of a broken heating control switch. Now, I have to find out how much this will cost. If it doesn't cost much, I will fix it and just trade this POS in... of course I will take a big lost, but I just can't afford to keep it any longer. :sick:
  • manfromjaxmanfromjax Member Posts: 2
    I have the exact same problem on my 2001 catera. They charged me a $185 to tell me that it will cost about $2000 to fix the computer. At that point I was to pissed because I just spent $915 for a brake job, which led to replacing all my fuses for another 900, then which lead to the Speedometer,abs/tcs problem which they said will cost 2000. Well, I wasn't going to pay that since it really didn't affect my driving. BUT Now I have leaking antifreeze which I find out is because of a broken heating control switch. Now, I have to find out how much this will cost. If it doesn't cost much, I will fix it and just trade this POS in... of course I will take a big lost, but I just can't afford to keep it any longer. :sick:
  • mnickelmnickel Member Posts: 2
    Gary,

I have had to replace several items...brake rotors, 02 Sensors, Mass Airflow Sensor, and front tie rod ends. Cost at mechanics for parts was usually very high. I got primarily genuine parts on ebay for 1/3 the cost. If you don't mind the wait...well worth it. Other than that the Catera runs great.
  • golfchicgolfchic Member Posts: 6
    Heartbroken, it is the FUEL PUMP... trust me, my boyfriends father is an ACE mechanic and he replaced. I looked on EBAY for a fuel pump and this is a company (mid-west) that sells cadilac parts. I bought the fuel pump for $180 and I had someone put it in. It was a two person job, but saved me big money. To confirm it is the fuel pump, if you let it sit for over an hour will it turn over and drive 30 feet, lol... and when it first started did it just shut down on you in the middle of the road? if so, its the fuel pump. Go on EBAY and look for Catera parts.
  • merckxmerckx Member Posts: 565
    Does anyone here have a Catera that that HASN'T had expensive issues with their car as it ages? I'm just wondering if it will be possible to avoid this with my low milage 2001.
    You're kidding right. I have 2000 and owe 5000.00 and have spent 3000.00 on repairs in 1 year. Beware of the mechanis you use b/c these cars are extremely difficult. Has changed my mind about all cadillacs.

Have A Great Day..
    being German, is nothing like any other Cadillac. I've found Cadillac to be very gererous with the problems I have had. Our 2001 Catera is very low milage,about 39,000, and for the last year, not a thing has gone wrong...The way this board goes,though,I expect a huge problem any mile...
  • atlmapasatlmapas Member Posts: 1
    I have a '97 Catera with 142K on it. When I drive for more than 30 minutes in traffic with high outside temps the service transmission light (STL) comes on and the transmission goes into a "safe" mode that will not allow the car to go over 35 mph. I can pull over and shut the car off and re-start it and the STL will reset. Sometimes the engine malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) comes on as well, but it will not reset by shutting off and re-starting the car. As long as I don't drive in traffic for more than 30 minutes I don't have any problems. Has anyone else experienced this problem?
  • caddysgirlcaddysgirl Member Posts: 3
    I HAVE A 98 CADILLAC, AND IT SOMETIMES WONT START BACK UP AFTER TRAVELING OVER A CERTAIN AMOUNT OF TIME, IT'LL START FTER LETTING IT SIT ABOUT 10MINS AT THE LEAST TO UP TO ALMOST AN HOUR DEPENDING ON HOW FAR I TRAVELED. THE 2ND ISSUE IS I HAVE BEEN ADDING COOLANT FOR ABOUT 2MOS., NOW THE COOLANT SEEMS TO DEMINISHING IN A LITTLE OVER A WEEK IT WAS MORE THAN HALFWAY GONE, AND THE RADIATOR FLUID INDICATOR LIGHT COMES ON...WHAT'S GOING ON, PLEASE BE OF SOME HELP TO ME...THE DEALERSHIP IS A COSTLY MEANS OF REPAIR IF YOU GO IN BLIND TO THE PROBLEM!
  • sco99caterasco99catera Member Posts: 1
    Hi i have had this thing for a few months now.. MY wife and i love it but it is startting to have problems. Right now the door locks :cry: just keep going up and then will lock. The trunk is now just opening while you drive the car. And You have to unhook the battery or else it will go dead over night b/c the lights come on and then go off and it will just keep doing this... any one have this problem i thought that maybe the bat was going dead in the remote but i am not that lucky..
  • jaroszjarosz Member Posts: 1
    Just recently purchased a 97 Catera with the Odometer reading 63000 miles. Its only been 3 days and I've noticed the odometer had not moved at all. Earlier while driving down the road at about 35mph i heard a nasty clunk from under the hood and my TC fuel and engine light all popped on and it seemed like the car was in neutral. I stopped and waited for a min and the lights stayed on. When I tried to continue the car would move but only really really slowly. I could eventually get it up to speed but i was moving at snail speed. I turned it off and back on and the problem went away for a bit, but eventually it always comes back. Also sometimes it seems I have no power to the radio panel. Radio won't work and neither will the trunk or fuel pops.
    I tried to take this car back to the dealer I bought it from and apparently I'm stuck with this car. I could really use some advice on this. Is there laws or anything that could help me in this situation. I thought I was buying a good car with 63k miles on it and thats just not the case.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
  • cre8tvmemphiscre8tvmemphis Member Posts: 1
    I have a 97 that i purchased with 110,000 miles on it. i paid around 5k for it. Great body, great interior, runs great. Now at 144k miles it seems to be having many electrical problems. Batteries last about a month. Driver side door came off it's whatever. Now it won't stay open on it's own) and rattles. AC won't hold coolant for more than two days. Heat seems to come out of the center console (Smells Like Oil too). Gear shift Shakes, so does steering wheel. Now it won't start at all and it has a brand new battery. [side note... just drove the car over the holidays for 18 hours, to and fro, without one little problem. Now in town the car is acting like a fool. I have seen on this message board many people with identical symptoms. 1. Headlight aiming, 2. Oil Smell, 3. A/C not working Properly, 4. Doors bogged, 5. Battery Drain, Passenger side leak when it rains, 6. Now Passenger door won't close. {Just bounces back. have to hold it closed and then hit the locks to keep it closed).
    The car ROCKs!, It just seems to have all these electronic issues all of a sudden. QUESTION: What is the fix, without spending a foryune at the dealership?
  • gngurugnguru Member Posts: 108
    The majority of all states have various "lemon laws" regarding the purchase of both new and used vehicles but you don't say what state you purchased your vehicle in. You should check with your local DMV to see exactly what the lemon law is in your particular state. Beware however as time is of the essence as there are always statue of time limitations involved. Good luck.
    Every time I read a few of these stories about absurdly troublesome Cateras, I wonder when my 2001 with 40,000 miles on it is going to act up. I thoroughly enjoy the cay to no end,and so far it's been fine, but it does make me wonder when my time will come...I'm also amazed hor GM could import such a troublesome car..

Is anyone else enjoying a relatively trouble-free ride? I am...
  • jchoate45jchoate45 Member Posts: 1
    Hi I have the exact same issue did you ever find out what causes this?
  • rlovinrlovin Member Posts: 4
    What was the problem with it not starting? I have the same problem in a '97. How much to fix?
    Did you find out the problem with it not starting? I have the same problem in a '97. How much to fix?
    Did you find out the problem with it not starting? I have the same problem in a '97. How much to fix?
  • icanresquicanresqu Member Posts: 3
    I am new to this so I hope I do this right. I own a 2000 Catera and had this problem. After doing a scan and finding the code was crankshaft position sensor, I changed the sensor, cleared the code and the problem has gone. Parts required to fix most problems can be found at the major parts supply stores. Before buying shop the three major ones because the prices vary.
    Thank you, I found my problem to be the same. Did you fix this yourself? I am somewhat mechanically inclined, but this Catera seems pretty daunting. It costed me around $400 to get it fixed, including the diagnostic.
  • icanresquicanresqu Member Posts: 3
    I do my own maintenance and all I had to pay for was the part, which cost around $70. If you change the sensor yourself you will need to have the ability to get the car off the ground far enough to get completely under the drivers side, which means it is easier if you have a lift to use. I priced the part at a couple of parts stores and went to the least expensive. In the grand scheme of things the book calls for about .7 of an hour to change but when you get down to it, it will usually and does take a little longer.
  • catera1997macatera1997ma Member Posts: 1
    I HAVE A 1997 CATERA AND HAVE HAD NOTHING BUT A HEADACHE WITH HER! SHES A BEAUTIFUL CAR AND I LOVE DRIVING HER BUT THE MAINTENANCE IS RIDICULOUS TO KEEP UP WITH! I BOUGHT HER WITH 65K ON HER AND SHE NOWS HAS ALMOST 110K, I HAVE REPLACED THE HEAD GASKETS, O2 SENSORS, TIRES WEARING OUT AND THE ALIGNMENT BEING OFF, SHE ALSO DOESNT HANDLE VERY WELL IN THE SNOW OR RAIN, I :confuse: :sick: REPLACED TIE RODS, SHE HAS SEVERAL SUSPENSION PROBLEMS AND THE LEVELING LIGHT CONSTANTLY FLASHES, THE TRANSMISSION HAS SERIOUS ISSUES AND THE COOLANT POORS OUT OF HER AND YOU'RE SUPPOSED TO ONLY USE THE DEX-COOL AND THAT COSTS LIKE 10$ A BOTTLE AND SHE GOES THROUGH AT LEAST A WHOLE BOTTLE IN 2 DAYS AND WHEN YOU ARE DRIVING IF ALL THE COOLANT LEAKS OUT SHE OVERHEATS! I WOULD GET RID OF HER BUT AS IS SHE'S PROBABLY ONLY WORTH A 1000$ AND I PAID 5000$ FOR HER! IM GONNA TAKE HER TO HAVE THE COOLANT LEAK FIXED SOON DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY IDEAS ON AN ESTIMATE OF COST!? PLEASE LET ME KNOW THANKS ~NICKY
  • flip3flip3 Member Posts: 1
    ok.... i bought the dam thing at 86000miles, first week was fine , but after a week and 2 days i start seeing white smoke come out of the engine whenever im at a stop, this really pisses me off cause i havent even had tha dam thing fr 2 weeks and this happens, ,,, at first i thought it was oil leak, then i thought i was leaking antifreeze, now my friend is telling me he thinks coolant is leaking into tha transmisson fluid, so i took it to tha dealers mechanic and he thinks its probably somthin rong with tha oil cooler?? didnt kno cars had them, but yea i can see alot of the recent posts on ppl having tha same problems, man i wish i could get a refund on this thing.....
  • deweese28deweese28 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 99 catea peace of junk my wife loves it but I hate it we just bought the care a few months ago first the speed sensor go's our then it starts dinking antifreaze like crazzy that is not the bad thing now it want go in to overdirve and if I take off in overdire and just slips and slps I have to take off in first then go to 2 nd then to 3 rd if I put in drive it want go in to drive I think the trany is our but oen for this car is damn much dose anyone have thing to say that could help our maybe be here I would sale this damn thing but my wife bought with out me being there and paid 4900 for it and it had 98000 miles on it now it as about 99800 someone needs to shot Gm for makeing this car our they should have used a better engine and tranny :lemon: http://a332.g.akamai.net/f/332/936/12h/www.edmunds.com/media/townhall/webxicons/- emotorcons/emo_lemon.gif
    lemon
  • lfrenchlfrench Member Posts: 3
    Oil leak in 2000, dealer says we need a oil fliter adapter?
    Any way around this $225.00
  • tcloonantcloonan Member Posts: 1
    My '97 will not start after it has been running for awhile. After allowing it too sit for an hour or more it will start up easily. It never cuts off while driving. Has anyone found a solution for this? Could this also be the crank sensor?
    I just started to have the same problem. I have one mechanic who knows the car. He put the car on machine and said it was the crank sensor. I ordered part for $55.00 and do plan on getting rid of this car this year. I definitely will not buy american again.

Good-Luck
  • mach1456mach1456 Member Posts: 7
    Does anybody know what the problem is with the tranny? Mine goes into limp mode when i drive it uphill at 40 to 50 mph. Turn the car off and it is fine, until the next hill that i try to take at these speeds. :confuse:
    But at least there aren't any new horror stories...Our 2001 is still running fine...
  • cateraepkcateraepk Member Posts: 2
    :mad: your car is going into safe mode to protect damage when it does not recieve the right electronic signal. Get a new tranny computer for about 1000 bucks or your tranny will go to [non-permissible content removed] and cost you 4000.
  • cateraepkcateraepk Member Posts: 2
    definetly crank shaft position sensor 50 for part about 280 labor!!
    Is there a official name for this part? I can put it in if this is really the problem, I have heard everything from the torque converter to oil on connectors, the cat is mint but I need to be sure before I put 1000 into it.
  • richter1richter1 Member Posts: 8
    Has any body else had problem With not being able to get your heater to work. I am up here in ohio & it's pretty damn cold not to have any heat coming from your car. I have read about people changing a heater valve. Could that be it. We took took it to the local caddy dealer, (talk about legalized theft) & the mechanic said it was the thermostat. but the car does not over heat & the temp gauge stays right in the middle. It blows out cold air like the a/c is on. Any thoughts?.
    Had same kind of problem. The blend doors rods, for lack of a better term, had come loose. They are located under the dash along center console. They are black plastic and attached to a actuator motor. Locate these and try moving gently by hand if they move reconnect. If they are connected try adjusting the temp controller and watch them to see if they are moving. Next step if they are connected and not moving with temp adjustment you may try pulling the actuator motor and check the gear on it mine had worked its way out and was not engaging with the gear for the rods. I pressed mine back into place with a vise be gentle though. Worked on mine about 4 months ago and everything still works great. One last thing check your coolant may be low. That happened to me also and had no heat.