Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

Volvo 740 Turbo: Surging idle problem

mikeyguymikeyguy Posts: 1
edited March 2014 in Volvo
I recently purchase a 740 turbo which came with excellent records of repair and maintenance provide by a qualified Volvo mechanic. Many items have been replaced by the previous owner such as: the turbo, a/c compressor, water pump, radiator, brakes, etc. It currently has approximately 186,000 miles and runs great... except the idle keeps on surging even with the a/c off. This surging is a gently action, not a up and down type of surging. In addition when I first start the car in the morning, it will stall a couple times before reaching it's proper temperature. Also when I am driving with the cruise control on, I notice a little surging in the engine which becomes annoying on a long road trip. It is due for a tune-up and maybe this is where the problem lies. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Sonoma, CaliforniaPosts: 64,473
    You might check for a vacuum leak somewhere. This is a helluva lot of miles on a car, and at this point in its life you have to start considering pretty weird things. I don't think a tune up is going to solve the problem. It will require some careful diagnostic.

If not a vacuum leak of some kind, you have to trace whatever device controls idle speed by sending input to the computer....some valve or sensor does this, but right off hand, I don't know the system on this particular car.

Tighten all vacuum lines and test for leaks before you start spending money.

MODERATOR --Need help with anything? Click on my name!

Share Your Vehicle Reviews Here

This discussion has been closed.