Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

What Car is Right For Me? Help Me Choose!

Comments

• Options
    donthegreekdonthegreek Member Posts: 127
    I'm thinking about buying one (S40 T5 AWD)this year....are you using regular or premium gas? Auto or Manual?

Have you checked your gas mileage??

Did you get an extended warranty?
    Thanks...

don
  • Options
    billherrmannbillherrmann Member Posts: 108
    T5--- Very impressed with it except for one irritating flaw, TURBO LAG, which was a deal breaker. Bought A3 which [by comparison] has zero turbo lag. Love the A3 more so than previous cars: Acura TL, Bmw 330xi. Lexus is300, and Cadillac CTS[3.6].
  • Options
    andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    Agreed on the very nice Volvo T5..... it suffers from some serious Turbo Lag.... talk about sling shot effect!

But once that T5 engine gets going, it is a great engine.

But again, the A3's 2.0T is better no only because it has similar power without the lag, but it gets significantly better gas mileage ratings, which is crucial today.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • Options
    deepthinkerdeepthinker Member Posts: 13
    To answer your questions--I have a manual transmission T5. It is smooth-I like it better than my '03 BMW 325xi. I've been using premium gas. According to the calculation displayed in my car, I am getting 22.9 miles per gallon at last check. That has not been reset since my first re-fuel, and I'm at about 3500 miles now. I would estimate that on the highway I get about 28, and in the city about 20, if I'm lucky. I've read about other people doing better than that, but I don't know how because I've been going pretty easy on the gas pedal and I still haven't gotten the average over 23-as soon as I drive around town for a few days it's back below 22mpg. I did not get, nor did I look into an extended warranty. I don't plan on holding onto cars too long.

In regards to comments that people have posted about turbo lag----the T5 does have turbo lag, but you have to get used to the gear pattern. In my experience, most cars accelerate well in 2nd gear, but it seems like my car can't get out of its own way in 2nd. But in 3rd the thing gets going right away, no matter what the RPM's. It is a low induction turbo charger, so it is designed to provide boost at low RPM's. The upside is that it kicks in at lower RPM's, the downside being that the boost is relatively low, so it isn't supposed to really kick you in the pants ever. When I test drove the MazdaSpeed6, which has much more boost, you really felt in when it kicked in. So I have to say that turbo lag has not been much of a factor for me, now that I've gotten used to the gearing. I actually wouldn't mind a little more kick in the pants-it's pretty noticeable that this is a turbo charger not designed to knock your socks off. In the review of the T5 on Edmunds, the author commented on the gearing/turbocharger being one you have to get used to-I agree with that. I'm no car expert, however, and I'm sure some of the more technically-minded folks lurking around here could discuss turbos, gearings and such in a more educated fashion than I.

DT
  • Options
    donthegreekdonthegreek Member Posts: 127
    Thanks for your input deepthinker....wonder how the turbo lag is on the automatic....better or worse or??

Anyone know if there's going to be any major changes to the 07 S40??
  • Options
    markcincinnatimarkcincinnati Member Posts: 5,343
    This car demands a stick shift.

Having said that, there are two schools of thought:

The automatic will emasculate the T5, but will "mask" the turbo lag somewhat, but the performance becomes somewhat less than "IMMEDIATE."

On the other hand, the stick shift may require you to learn some anticipatory driving to minimize the "rush" that can happen when you are in third gear and request more grunt -- and then the lag happens since the turbo's RPMs need to spool up to max torque range.

If you know when to downshift to minimize lag, you will be fine.

The specs on the engine, as I recall, do show torque does come on fairly low in the engine RPM range, so this may be -- for you -- a quick and short learning curve.

If you want much of the fun and performance retained, the stick is your best bet. Sticks, however, are addicting and they are more and more rare.

I caution you, if you get a stick, you will be hard pressed to ever be satisfied with an automatic again.

Each drive line has its merits -- the one that increases:

control, fuel-economy, fun, performance and safety (due to the improved control and performance) is the stick;

the one that may be somewhat less involving, lower in performance and generate poorer fuel mileage is the automatic. You do get "less work" with the auto though.

Choose the one that suits your needs.

I have an Audi A6 3.2 it has an automatic. The BMW 530xi which can be had with a stick and is AWD was not on the market when I picked my Audi up. I drove the S60 type R and found the engine backfired too much for my comfort in a car that expensive.
  • Options
    mzwarichmzwarich Member Posts: 1
    Hello,

This is my first time posting here, so I hope this is the right spot to post.

Anyway, I am looking to purchase a pre-owned sedan in the next couple of weeks and have narrowed it down to either a 2001 Volvo S40, a 2001 Volvo S60, or a 2002 Volkswagen Passat. All three are in the same approximate price range. There is approximately the same mileage on both volvos and a little more on the Passat. Trim levels are comparable (and more or less basic)

Does anyone have an opinion (lol) on which would serve me better? I am selling my current coupe because I have a new daughter and we anticipate needing two to three car seats eventually. I like the handling of the S40 and the Passat (I haven't had a chance to drive the S60 yet).

Any advice you have would be greatly appreciated.
  • Options
    tslbmwtslbmw Member Posts: 172
    my .02

I owned a Passat for 3 years & a Jetta for 2 more (against my better judgement) and the reliability was pretty awful. So, I would be VERY skeptical of the 02 Passat. The S40 is not very sporty and doesn't handle/drive nearly as well as the Passat and the back seat is not as big as the Passat. So, it depends on your priorities:

Drive/Handling: Passat
    Reliability: S40 (or S60)
    Long Term ownership cost: Even (both are pretty expensive to keep up and if you're gonna own one of these for a long time, you may wanna consider a certified pre-owned or extended warranty)
    Looks: (IMHO) The Passat
    Gas Mileage: Good in both, however, the Passat requires Prem Gas (not sure about the S40)
    Back Seat (for your new addition): Passat (however, with a rear facing seat, it's gonna be tight in both...both will be fine when she is front facing)

Good luck and I hope this helps a little!
  • Options
    kurtamaxxxguykurtamaxxxguy Member Posts: 1,798
    Hi. My apoligies if I had posted this before, but I am still thinking an AWD hatch or Wagon for my next vehicle.

Subaru has been making AWD for quite some time, but the 2.0 Turbo vehicles I've tried (including the Saab offshoot) had virtually no power down low and seemed to be very peaky. Ride and handling seemed good.

Has Subaru solved this turbo lag issue? I understand they have a 2.5 engine now.
  • Options
    krzysskrzyss Member Posts: 849
    but it is still peaky.

Krzys
  • Options
    rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    I have an '06 WRX, and turbo lag is almost a non-issue. Yeah, power builds as the revs raise, but it's nothing like the old 2.0 WRX. It's much more user-friendly.

Go check one out for yourself. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. :)

Bob
  • Options
    zdr81zdr81 Member Posts: 14
    need to buy a new or slightly used (no more than 2 years old) car less than $27-28K.. here are my priorities:

1) gas - should not use premium and should have good gas mileage if not at least the norm for sedans (24/31 or so)

2) reliability - ok from what I've read, VW is havign issues with reliability but i'm interested in their 2006 pre-owned passat 2.0Ts .. of course, it is still too new for reliability but if people returned it to the dealer, is taht necessarily a bad sign?

3) luxury/styling - I'd say VW packs the most for the best price AND has done a good job on the styling. I'd go with a loaded accord or camry but their styling is bland.

I wish I could get the acura tsx or even audi/lexus/etc but they all use premium gas and that is not what i need now.. Any ideas what I should look at, based on my priorities above? thanks in advance!
  • Options
    suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    Be sure you are being honest about your priorities. If gas mileage and reliability are really #1 and2, then either the Camry or Accord is the vehicle you want. If style is actually higher than #3 than you probably want something else.
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • Options
    taxesquiretaxesquire Member Posts: 681
    I had a 2001.5 Passat for just over 3 years, which is the same as the 2002 model. I didn't look at the Volvos at that time so I can't really comment except to say that the S40 will likely be too small for your needs.

I had minimal issues with the Passat, and really liked how luxurious it seemed. It was a great balance between comfort and sport - I had a 6 cyl manual transmission and was very happy with the torque, although HP was a bit too low. Overall, that redesigned Passat, from 2001.5-2005 is a really good, comfortable, safe car. It was consistently among consumer reports' recommended vehicles.
  • Options
    Suydam gave a good post and I second his comments. Are you sure the Passat does not require premium? I had a prior model passat and it did require premium fuel. Also, I think 2006 was the 1st year of the redesign. If your #2 priority is reliability, you might want to go back to a 2005 - the last model year of the prior version.

I agree that I think the passat gives you the most luxury for the buck.
  • Options
    thanks to you and sudyam. I thought about the issue some more and will go to a dealerstrip (multiple dealerships within a mile) to look at some cars. I've eliminated the passat because of reliability issues.. I'm not that concerned about premium anymore because assuming that premium is always 20 cents more at any time, with 10K miles per year at 25 miles per gallon, I would spend only $80 more per year for the premium. Right now, I'm considering the following, in no order:

1) certified pre-owned acura tsx (without navi) - can get one with 10K miles for $24,500. All the features for the buck, plus still gets good gas mileage. Does require premium.

2) toyota prius (yes, on the other extreme of the scale, but I have yet to check it out). Packages seem expensive, not to mention it is in high demand and is being sold at msrp, no chance of negotiation.

3) accord ex-l with/without navi - if only they could have done a better job with styling, I would have jumped on it.

4) I would check out the camry if I didn't already have a 2005 camry SE.

any others i should check out that would meet my priorities as listed in my previous post (1. gas mileage 2. reliability 3.styling/luxury) ? Thanks in advance!
  • Options
    luvmbootyluvmbooty Member Posts: 271
    I'm looking for dependability, spacious interior, large luggage space, above average crash test scores, descent fuel economy and a MSRP under 25000.

I've looked at ratings from Edmunds, IIHS, Fuel economy.com, Gov. crash tests, and JDPower.com. I've narrowed my selection to:

-Chevrolet Malibu Maxx
    -Hyundai Sonata
    -Ford Five Hundred
    -VW Passat

They all excel in one thing or another, but I wanted to get other opinions. Thanks for responses! :blush:
  • Options
    suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    taxesquire, sounds like the certified TSX is the way to go. You like the car and it meets your criteria. If you really love the car you won't mind premium fuel. I have a Nissan Maxima and I wouldn't trade it for one that took regular fuel (for a second car, however, I am tempted to look at the Honda Fit).

luvmbooty, the bottom three on your rankings don't have that great a reliability or in the case of the 500, haven't been around very long to tell. In addition to those, you might look at a Buick. They tend to have huge trunks and interior room and have good reliability records.
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • Options
    The Maxx is very flexible in terms of interior setup, but the cargo space is not that big unless you either fold down the rear seats or remove the cargo shelf to allow cargo to "poke up" into the rear window line of sight.

The Maxx forum here has more details.

If you don't mind a ruff ride, the Maxx SS offers a pseudo-sports approach.

Be warned that Malibu and Maxx are having suspension and brake problems. Supposedly in Mid 2006 the suspension issue will be addressed.

Lastly, the Maxx has not been IIHS crash tested (only the Mailbu, which got a silver award provided you have curtain airbags).
  • Options
    "I'm looking for dependability"

Passat is in its first model year. None of the first year cars are synonymous with dependability.

Krzys
  • Options
    jlee6jlee6 Member Posts: 13
    Can you guys help me to choose because I can't decide.
    1. Acura 06 TL w/Navi ($34500 OTD)
    2. Acura 07 TL w/Navi ($37000 probably Fall 06)
    3. Acura RDX w/Navi ($375000 probably late Summer 06)
    4. Infiniti 06 G35 w/Navi Sedan ($35000 OTD)
    5. Infiniti 07 G35 w/Navi Sedan ($37000 probably Fall 06)

Which car is the best buy?
  • Options
    Questions for you:

1. On a scale of "not important, important, very important," how important is the luxury factor and how important is the sportiness factor?
    2. Auto or manual transmission?
    3. What's the RDX doing in this mix?
    4. Does the '06/07 Infiniti have the same nav as the Infiniti M, or have they continued with the same nav that was in the prior year G35s?
  • Options
    volvomaxvolvomax Member Posts: 5,238
    I would take a G35 over a TL any day of the week.
    The FWD TL's are undriveable when you hammer them, way too much torque steer.

I'm assuming that the 07 G35 price is plus TTL?
    If so, the 06 is a better deal, plus interst rates are continuing to rise.
  • Options
    canaanmancanaanman Member Posts: 21
    I am trying to decide between the Accord Coupe either V4 or V6, the Acura TSX and the VW Passat 2.0. Any advice and feedback is greatly appreciated. Thanks
  • Options
    OK I've narrowed it down to two choices, both prices being out-the-door with only TTL to pay.

1) 2006 Accord EX-L with navi - $24K

2) 2005 Acura TSX with 8.5K miles, no navi - $24.5K

The accord is complete and a good value for the price but the TSX has the sporty/luxury feel and makes the accord feel rather boring. Besides having that extra luxury feel, my other priority is the gas mileage. What should I pick? Do the prices seem reasonable, especially the TSX?
  • Options
    as it does not exist.

Krzys
  • Options
    I am in the same boat except I took out passat due to VW's reliability issues.
  • Options
    justin12justin12 Member Posts: 23
    Which one is the better car? Thoughts?
  • Options
    I would take a G35 over a TL any day of the week.
    The FWD TL's are undriveable when you hammer them, way too much torque steer.

I have a manual '04 TL and the torque steer isn't really bad, especially since I got new tires. I do wish it was on a rear wheel drive platform, but if performance isn't a top criteria, this probably will not affect you.
  • Options
    z71billz71bill Member Posts: 1,986
    My wife already knew she wanted a TSX - every time she saw one she would say - thats my next car! So we went in to take a test drive - BIG disappointment.

The handling was poor (crummy in the corners) - the ride was harsh (bumpy / could feel every expansion joint) - both cars we drove had a buzzing sound coming out of the dash.

We were also considering a different car for my daughter - so we drove a 2006 Civic the same day - the Civic and the TSX have about the same handling capabilities - the Civic has a better ride quality. The TSX does have more power than the Civic.

The TSX is an old design - it is based on the 2002 European Accord - so if you want a 2002 Accord with leather that requires premium gas - buy the TSX.

We took it off our shopping list - I can't understand why this car sells at all - there must be some car buyers that think that the Acura badge has some value and really don't care that it is really just a rebadged Accord.

I would take the Accord over the TSX - but make mine a coupe.
  • Options
    rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    The firm ride is because of the sport suspension and low profile performance tires. My WRX has a very firm (some might call it harsh) ride too. It's ride is noticebly firmer and noiser than my son's Outback Sport. If you want "sport," that's the price you pay.

The Civic is not a performance car, with the exception of the Si. I'm sure its ride is tuned more for comfort than the TSX's. The Civic's tires do not have as low a profile, and therefore absorb the bumps much better, and the springs are softer too.

I'm sure if you were to test two Mercedes E350s, one with the optional sport suspension and one without, you would find the same thing. The one with sport suspention and ultra-low profile tires would ride much harsher than the one with the standard suspension.

Bob
  • Options
    Ride and handling is normally a trade off - you want great handling you get a harsh ride - want soft ride give up some handling -

Some how Acura was able to make the TSX ride like a car that should handle very well but does not - and handle like a car that has a soft ride - but doesn't.

I think its the 2002 technology.

In the sporty / near luxury car segment (whatever name you want to use) the car should have a firm ride but that does not mean you should feel every expansion joint in the road - thump - thump - thump - and it should handle 1000 times better than a $15K Civic. The TSX just plain falls short.

You could be right about the tires - maybe Acura just kept the same suspension tuning as the 2002 European Accord and stuck for low profile tires on it. That could explain the ride and handling.
  • Options
    lilajlilaj Member Posts: 15
    These are both great choices and whatever u decide u won't regret it.

the accord ex-l is pretty much loaded with all the goodies (dual heated seats, power driver seat, automatic dual climate control, 6 disc cd changer, led brake lights, etc), which u probably already know. You also mentioned the dvd navigation system which put the icing on the cake. The accord styling is attractive, but the tsx is much better looking, and for $500 more i would go with the tsx.

I know u mentioned gas, and the tsx does use premium fuel which seems weird for a 4 cyl car. U do get more hp (34) with tsx, but i guess with it being a luxury car u just have to use premium.

the tsx is fully loaded, only missing the dvd navigation system which is nice, but with standard features like, heated power driver and passenger seats, auto rear view mirror, 6 disc cd changer with a 320 watt 8 speaker surround sound system(compared to accords 120 watt 6 speaker system) xenon headlights, (which is a plus on value)and the cool looking turn signals on the mirrors makes this car worth getting for $24500. :shades:
  • Options
    that was how my reasoning was.. until I realized I have no idea how the first 8.5K miles were driven .. since it could have been a dealer car, it could have been driven very harshly and would have a considerable effect on the long term reliability.

I will settle for an accord ex-l with navi and trade it in later when the tsx is redesigned :D
  • Options
    lilajlilaj Member Posts: 15
    good luck, like i said u want regret your choice honda makes real great cars. ;)
  • Options
    yeah they do. only they need some major plastic surgery.. the car is BORING on the outside (and inside). oh well, will be happy with the resale in a few years ;-)
  • Options
    ok i'm back to square one because now I have a good offer for a brand new tsx.

here are my choices:

1) 06 accord EX-L with navi (4cyl auto) - $23,950 out the door

2) 06 acura tsx (without navi, auto) - $26,300 out the door

3) 05 acura tsx w/o navi with 5.3K miles, auto - $24,500 out the door.
  • Options
    Navi - don't leave home without it.
  • Options
    if I buy the tsx, I can always get a navi. their built in navi is sweet but not worth an extra $2K IMO.
  • Options
    arvin1arvin1 Member Posts: 9
    Go for the Bmw or the audi!
  • Options
    Go for the Bmw or the audi!

I'd recommend the Audi A3 over both the Accord and the TSX.

but between Accord and TSX, it all comes down to.... do you want power or gas mileage with regular fuel? Do you want luxurious interior, or just a nice interior?

Acura has better warranty, but its not like you'll ever need to use the warranty with either vehicle.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • Options
    The burning of regular fuel should not even enter into the equation for many reasons.

But, rather than "prove" that an engine designed for premium fuel is generally both more effective and more efficient, I will simply hit the money justification first in some detail.

If you believe that Regular will be at least $2.50 per gallon and you also believe that plus ten cents per grade is generally the norm, let's look at this financially.

Gas tank = 20 gallons, for instance.

Fillup of regular = $50

Fillup of premium = $54

If you use one tank per week the annual cost would be $208 higher for the car that required premium. As the price of regular rises -- and unless the difference in price between premium and regular changes -- the cost actually goes down as a percentage of the total cost for 52 fillups.

Assuming the consumption doesn't change, the difference will remain $4.00 per tankful, of course.

=====

There is and will continue to be a push for cars that require ever higher octane numbers. Indeed one of the advantages, for example, of E85 is that it can offer higher octane which is a good thing for a car engine's overall performance (performance being a deliberately broad term meaning to include effectivity and efficiency.)

I am somewhat suspect of cars that claim to run on regular for I feel that a more efficient engine could be constructed but at the cost of requiring premium fuel.

We all seem to want higher power (horses and twist) and better fuel economy. One of the ways that this can be accomplished is by raising the compression ratio (hence the need for higher octane fuel) of the engine.

Broadly, generally and typically, I would, therefore, EXCLUDE the car in the class that used regular figuring that it might be less powerful, more thirsty and dirtier than a like volume engine (typically smaller in absolute terms, however) that has a higher compression ratio.

I started out driving a 1963 V8 Chrysler Newport with a Firecracker 265 engine. It had a two bbl carb and produced 265 HP and it drank gas (which at the time was as low as 24.9 cents per gallon -- I am old, don't you know?)

My current 3.2 (3.1L) V6 Audi engine has 255HP and it sips gas and feels every bit as powerful (this is a memory issue obviously since I do not have both cars side by side to test) if not moreso than that big ol' V8.

This is a stark contrast, but the underlying concepts can be demonstrated today.

There can be some pretty unimpressive engines in the "performance" regard who can claim "yea, but at least we burn regular. . . ."

I find such engines to typically suck gas and spew pollution -- both in quantities that exceed a higher compression engine that requires premium juice to run at its best.

Power and gas mileage improvements often go hand in hand as manufacturers keep pushing their engine's compression ratios ever higher.

Ignore the regular gas arguments, since there is plenty of evidence that can be shown to "prove" that many of the "regular fuel is ok" engines require more fuel and produce less power and more dirt than their premium sucking counterparts.

Please remember that although I believe what I have just written that the statements are generalizations -- there are regular burning engines that run just fine and do not conform to my rather broad statements.

Probably a good source for more info would be Popular Mechanics and a web site that can be googled "how stuff works."

:shades:

Nothing I have written suggests that using Premium in a car that is NOT designed to benefit from it will improve mileage or power. Conversely, nothing I have written should suggest that using Regular in a car designed for Premium is anything but a false economy and is indeed more wasteful.

:surprise:
  • Options
    That 10 Cent difference between grades in gas is being threatened in So Cal, where 12-13 cents is becoming more typical.
  • Options
    In wunderful LA, CA, we have from 20 to 30 cent difference between reg and prem.
    One station near me (major brand) charges 3.31 for regular and 3.57 for premium. They dropped the regular price before they dropped the premium price.

Having fun with figures: for a 1400 mile trip;

CAR A: 24 mpg at 3.31 a gallon = $193
    CAR B: 18 mpg at 3.59 a gallon = $280

CAR C: 30 mpg at 3.31 a gallon = $155
    CAR D: 22 mpg at 3.59 a gallon = $228

So for the 1400 mile trip, Cars B and D (both the Audi 3 at its reported mpg's) will cost roughly $90 to $70 more for the trip than Cars A and C (brand X, which I know gets mileages listed).

Having said that, does the extra fuel cost really matter to the Audi driver? IMHO, no sir-ree.
  • Options
    ar39ar39 Member Posts: 61
    I differ from your statement that increasing compression ratio increases power & fuel economy. Power is definitely increased but fuel economy rather drops. Fuel economy & power are inversely proportional. That's the reason for the advent of inline 4 engines. Moreover, power is not necessarily derived with more HP, rather it's the torque at low rpms & power-to-weight ratio that matter. Also, engines have a limitation for delivering power & hence it's noticed that a bigger engine gives you a higher range.

High octane fuel avoids knocking in high compression engines. That's the reason they are used in high performance cars allowing the engine to squeeze out the maximum from the combustion. Also, they burn cleaner than regular gas with respect to high compression engines. For engines that are tuned to deliver superior fuel economy & moderate power, regular 87 octane gas is good enough.
  • Options
    The - HP is not important - its the torque that matters - statement - always makes me wonder.

Do people understand that if you have an engine that produces "a lot" of low end torque it also produces "a lot" of low end HP? You can't increase torque - at any RPM level - without also increasing HP.

Torque and HP are two different ways to measure engine power - if you give a value for either torque or HP and the RPM of the engine - you can calculate the other (torque or HP) value.

Torque = (HP * 5252)/RPM

HP = (torque * RPM)/5252

Its (almost) like saying - that weight sure feels heavy - you know its the kilos that are important not the pounds.
  • Options
    ar39ar39 Member Posts: 61
    Accord I4:
    HP - 166 @ 5900 rpm
    Torque - 160 @ 4000 rpm

Those are the max HP & torque available. Substituting the nos. in your equation

@5800 rpm, torque = (166 * 5252)/5800 = 150.31
    @4000 rpm, HP = (160 * 4000)/5252 = 121.86

Max torque of 160 lb-ft is achieved at 4000 rpm for which the HP is 121.86. This means that that the max torque of 160 lb-ft is achieved at a relatively lower HP (less than 166). This was my point.

The aim is to achieve max torque at low rpm. This implies that the transmission needn't downshift to generate enough "power" at a lower rpm to drive the car. This scenario would give you better fuel economy which, was the subject of the discussion.
  • Options
    While I love the discourse and the "arguments" we all from time to time engage in, I used the word "often" -- a deliberate use. What people buy is "torque" what they think they buy is horsepower.

We are, generally, in agreement, that is.

What "often" happens is a newer engine will be introduced in a given car line -- take the BMW 3.0 and both "power" (which is "often" both HP and torque) and MPG are improved.

Literally, of course, the compression ratio of both the older engine (also 3.0) and the newer version were such that Premium Fuel is required in both.

Further, the engines in this example go from X "power" and X dirtiness to Y "power" and dirtiness. In other words the engine gets more powerful, less thirsty and cleaner.

The Audi/VW engine technology (FSI) is another advance and in this case is accompanied by ever higher compression.

In this engine's case the "power" is upped, the "frugality" is also upped and the "dirtiness" is downed.

And, to further point some deliberate word use, I said power rather than attempt to specify (overall) either HP or torque.

My "argument" was very general (but I do believe not a misrepresentation or obfuscation) and meant to suggest that someone NOT be turned off by the requirements for Premium fuel. My thesis was to suggest that sometimes cars that burn regular fuel provide their owners a false sense of economy, sometimes a VERY false sense that, were they to calculate would darn near shock them and certainly surprise them.

I am, despite this, NOT suggesting the exclusion of a car solely on the fact that it burns regular. There are plenty of examples (on both sides) that can be used to justify one's choice.

Overall, generally, typically, broadly speaking and "on average" many cars that use Premium Fuel generate a more pleasing ownership experience for they offer greater power, efficiency, economy and lower pollution.

This is not an absolute as I have painstaking attempted to convey, however.

This forum is a great place for all of us to "learn new stuff" get new, to us, ideas.

:shades:
  • Options
    Sorry - I sometimes get carried away - and go way - way overboard.

My point is - HP and torque are just different ways to measure engine power - you can also measure engine power in watts (same watt as a light bulb!) or even BTU's

All of these values can be converted into each other - none are "better" at any given RPM level because - they would be considered equal in terms of power.

Its just like you can measure distance in feet - inches - meters - yards -

You can measure weight in tons - pounds - ounces - kilos - grams -

Temperature - C or F take your pick

They are all just different ways to measure something -

Sure I want an engine that produces good power at an RPM level that I can actually use while I drive my car in normal traffic - it would be nice to have this power available in the 1,500 to 3,500 RPM range (low end)- because - even if my engine would turn 12,000 RPM I would not spend much time driving at this level.

I think this is what most people really mean when they say low end torque is more important - could also say low end BTU's are more important than high end watts - but I better stop before the host kicks my behind - again!

BTW - I always thought that the reason higher compression engines of the same displacement could produce more power was because they could have more air/fuel in the combustion chamber - isn't this what causes the higher compression ratio? The valves close and the piston compresses the air/fuel mixture before the spark plug causes ignition.

Premium fuel (higher octane) prevents the air/fuel mixture from burning before the spark plug fires (pre ignition)

This is why burning premium in a car designed for regular does not produce any more power - and is just a waste of $$.
  • Options
    And to your final point, why burning lower octane in a car designed for Premium is a false economy (costs more over time) and despite electronic aids that prevent the sounds of pinging, is also a waste of $$.

I remember my dad -- he would NOT buy any car that required premium (or as he called it Ethyl) period. He bought a new Chrysler in 1963, the 361 CI could use regular and some of the other two or three engine choices (383 v1 and v2 and 413 CI) had to use Ethyl, so he chose the one that used regular and then spent what seemed to be a ton of money to put in an aftermarket air conditioner since, at the time, it seemed that only the cars that used Premium had factory air.

No amount of argument would dissuade this behavior which seemed, at the time and to this day, as a kind of weird way to save a couple of pennies per gallon whilst spending hundreds and hundreds on an aftermarket accessory that essentially took the space of one passenger.

My dad bought three new cars without factory A/C that used regular gas in the 60's and performed (or had performed, better said) this add-on.

False economy then, just for somewhat of a different reason or cause.

Some of the folks I work with buy cars that require premium and run them on regular -- maybe it just makes them feel better, evidence to the contrary.

:confuse: