Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

bmw 320i oil pressure

winocatwinocat Posts: 3
edited March 2014 in BMW
I have a 1978 bmw 320i that sat for a year and the oil pressure won't go above 6 or 7 pounds even when revved. The gauge and sending unit have all checked out so next I pulled the pan to check the p/u screen, and to check the clearances on the oil pump. all were ok. bypass spring was also the correct length and was not sticking. I pulled a main brg cap and the bearing had very little wear on it. I'm stumped, I know there is oil getting to the top end because you can see it splashing around with the cap off. any ideas?

Comments

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Sonoma, CaliforniaPosts: 64,473
    It would be rare for a BMW bottom end to go out. You might want to check with a reliable mechanical gauge that you screw into the block....and don't rev it so much.

Another possibility is that your oil is diluted with gasoline.

MODERATOR --Need help with anything? Click on my name!

Share Your Vehicle Reviews Here

• I've tried 2 different external gauges on this engine and i changed the oil and filter first thing. Any more ideas. I'm still at a loss. Thanks dt
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Sonoma, CaliforniaPosts: 64,473
    Now refresh my memory here...how many miles on this engine?

MODERATOR --Need help with anything? Click on my name!

Share Your Vehicle Reviews Here

• 118000 miles and the brgs look so good i dont think there is that much wear on this engine. when i cranked it for the first time after it had been sitting for a year it smoked very little and cleared up after a few seconds. any ideas. dt
This discussion has been closed.