Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Have you recently switched from a luxury sedan to a luxury SUV?
A reporter would like to talk to you; please reach out to [email protected] by 7/25 for more details.
Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

OLD CARS -The truth .Owners tales.How they really were.

Comments

• carnut4carnut4 Posts: 574
    Somehow I'm reminded of a guy who found out how his car "really was." A fellow we knew bought a late 50's MGA at a good price, but with a lousy paint job. This was in 1965. A few months after he bought it, he was broadsided by someone who ran a stopsign. The impact caused the other side of the car to crack-in all of the many places it had been poorly bondoed-and then painted. Several spots on the door and rear fender were exposed down to bare metal, after numerous pieces of body putty fell to the ground on impact. Needless to say, the car was totalled.
  • ralph124cralph124c Posts: 36
    How about carb icing? I had a Rover 2000TC (twin SU carbs) that would actually ice up in cold damp, foggy weather. One day in Dec.. (airtemp around freezing) I started her up and went inside for a cup of joe. When I came out, the car wad idling roughly and making black smoke. I opened the hood and checked the air filter-ther in the intakes was abig chunk of ice!
    Haven't seen this on any other car.
  • reBMWreBMW Posts: 26
    i've always said rover owners were iconclasts. poor BMW Ag.
    typnig is nto my frotay dotay.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Sonoma, CaliforniaPosts: 64,490
    oh, you just gave me an idea for a new topic...the tupes of cars famous people have died in....is that too grim perhaps?
  • isellhondasisellhondas Issaquah WashingtonPosts: 20,225
    Died while trying to light a cigar it is rumored.

What kind of car?
    Chevy Corvair station wagon...a true genius...too bad....

lessee...Princess Grace died in a Rover

And we won't go into Di and James Dean, we all know those....

Oh, was it Mamie Van Dooren or Diana Dors that got decapitated in a Chrysler Imperial?...(I TOLD you this would be a grim topic....).

Oh, here's a hard one...the car that killed famous dancer Isadore Duncan when her long scarf got caught in the rear wheel hub.
  • frank37frank37 Posts: 1
    thats dumb
  • badgerpaulbadgerpaul Posts: 219
    Jayne Mansfield lost her head over a Buick Electra 225.
    was isadore done by a jag?
  • bjohnsonbjohnson Posts: 2
    Wasn't Isadora killed in a Bugatti? Hmm...I have vague memories of a photograph, but the details are fuzzy. I do remember the low profile and a spare wheel mounted on the side with chrome spokes.
    Jayne Mansfield, right! good man, I knew I had that wrong somehow...she was married to Mickey....Mickey...Har...something, like a wrestler or boxer....yeah, poor gal, gruesome thing...

No, Isadore Duncan was killed in an Amilcar, but Bugatti is often cited, and from what i can tell from various sources, is incorrect....Amilcar was a very sporty French car...well, they may both sports and unsporty models. Hell of a good guess, though.
    Okay, the car General Patton was seriously, and eventually, fatally, injured in?

And the car that killed over 80 people at Lemans in 1955?

BONUS QUESTION--and the car that probably caused the above accident?
    Patton was done in by a Cadillac, a 1941 I think.
    The Cadillac didn't kill him, it was the sudden stop! :)
    close...it was a Packard...apparently it stopped short after either hitting or avoiding a truck, and Patton's neck was violently traumatized...yes, probably a 1941 or 42 Packard, they didn't really date them during the war.
  • sunlinersunliner Posts: 36
    The LeMans killer? It was a diesel something-or-other, wasn't it? I remember reading a story about the French driver who wanted to do all 24-hrs by himself and flipped into the stands. Am I on the right track?
    Don't know about the driver angle, but the car was a Mercedes 300SLR...and presumably the car that cut it off and caused it to swerve was an Austin Healey.

One of the interesting sidenotes to that story was that from that day forward, Mercedes pulled out of racing. Some say to honor the dead, but more likely because they had won everything ten times over and had nothing left to prove...it was a good opportunity for a graceful exit.
    i have heard that there will be mercedes in the 24 hours of Le Mans this year. doesnt that count as mercedes racing or are the cars privateered so they dont officially count as factory racing? mighty fine line there if you ask me.
    I'm not sure but I think these are privateers...good question...maybe someone knows offhand...I was under the impresion that MB was just supplying engine power.

Hmmm...maybe they're upset after Mazda won it.

I'd love to take a ride in one of the M-B pre WW II grand prix cars...supposedly, you could mash the gas pedal at 150 mph in 4th gear and spin rubber.
  • burdawgburdawg Posts: 1,524
    Mansfield didn't lose her head in that accident-just the blond wig she had on flew into the back seat. Also, her kids survived in the back seat (were sleeping so were down low). Until just before they were in front-funny how little actions can have long reaching results.
    thanks burdawg for reminding me that the decapitation story was just another smear by the press....but of course, she did in fact die in that wreck, as did Sam Brody I think his name was.
  • birtmicbirtmic Posts: 2
    Hank Sr. died in the backseat of his Cadillac somewhere between Montgomery, AL and points north(Nashville?). He was alone in the backseat and the driver of the Caddy had no idea he was dead until he stopped to get a Coke and turned around to ask Hank if he wanted one.
  • pierce118pierce118 Posts: 1
    An old remedy to "scuff up" cylinder walls and better seat rings was to put Bon Ami down the sparkplug holes. Tried this once with an old forklift - result was that when we started the engine, it seized, a piston broke through and the combustion blew into the crankcase. The point of least resistance was the dipstick, which flew out like a bullet, missed my head by about an inch, then out through our shop's roll-up door God knows how far - we never found it.CLOSE CALL!
    I saw a guy do this to a Mercedes a few years ago...he simply could not be dissuaded that pouring an abrasive powder into an internal combustion engine was about the most gyro gearloose idea since coasting down steep mountain roads with the ignition off to "save gas".
    I suppose this idea of "seating rings" came from the days when egines had 20 horsepower and enough clearance between ring and bore to stick your finger through.
    Few things were more fun then to drive thorugh the wino district. We would drive down the street in second gear about 40MPH. turn off the ignition and wait for awhile and turn it back on!

We didn't save any gas this way but we sure scared the stuffing out of a few folks!

Some cars would make a much louder explosion than others...

The fun ended one night when my buddy didn't notice the car behind up was a cop!

Somehow, he didn't swallow my friend's story that the car had never done that before, there must be a short in the distributor, etc...
  • carnut4carnut4 Posts: 574
    We used to do that in highschool. A friend had a 53 Plymouth. Those old flatheads were great for that. Turn it off, then on, and WHAM! One night, though, the muffler blew apart after a big one, and we had to sneak it back home away from cops. After that, I decided not to try it anymore with my 55Chev.
    When I was in High School, this one clown decided that he need more power from his mother's
    6 cylinder 65 Bel Air. So he filled the windshield washer reservoir with gas and ran the hose directly to the carburetor. The only way he could keep it from stalling out was to wind the heck out of it in first gear while running the washer. Of course the gas running through the rubber hose rotted it out in a hurry and the car burned itself to a crisp one night.
    Just a visionary before his time, that's all.
    It was a simpler time. Mufflers were cheap.

With fuel injection, catalytic converters, and steering wheels that lock when the ignition is turned off, it's impossible to "key bang" a car today.

Too bad...?
This discussion has been closed.