Options

Mazda6 Sedan

Comments

• Options
    doodle4doodle4 Member Posts: 10
    my second tank of gas was the full one. went 223.3 miles and used 12.1 gallons. average mpg was 18.5. this driving was under all conditions--using the manual mode as well as the auto. stop and go-- traffic, highway, snow, rain. i have the 6s.

is there any reason to use 93 octane or not?

thanks fowler on the tip with the pillow for my back. i too think its the curve on the bottom of the seat back. my old car didn't have that curve.
  • Options
    rodlcwrodlcw Member Posts: 45
    I will test the interior temp and let you know.
    It is not all that cold here, but as I said earlier my 99 mill. S the seat would have got quite toasty under same condition. I read in the manual that it has a thermostat and salesperson thought that was tied to the heater thermostat, so if I turned it up then the seats would get warmer. That is not how I read it, as it would have indicated using the tempurature know in the manual and all it said was it had a thermostat.

I filled up first tank and I got 339 miles on 15 gallons. I have a 6 s, running mostly highway, but using all gears on the auto manual.

Also, I have now been playing some of my CD's and find the sound much more to my liking than I previously had indicated. And I will like the 6CD exchanger in the dash. My 96 MX-6 limited edition had a 3 disc changer and I liked that.
    I was never willing to put one of them in the trunk.
  • Options
    rodlcwrodlcw Member Posts: 45
    Has anyone tried using the lumbar support? I found out the lever on side of driver seat is a ratcheting type that moves it in and out on the seat.
  • Options
    mileagemileage Member Posts: 9
    Anyone: Is it possible to program the door locks to lock when you shift from park?

Rodlcw: I find the seat is most comfortable when I don't use the lumbar support.
  • Options
    capitanocapitano Member Posts: 509
    somebody tried to cross breed the altima with a a new 350Z. Looks like junior got a few birth defects from the inbreeding.

---

Now that the wagon will not be available when it will be time for me to acquire a new vehicle, I'm going to have to start looking at other options. I really would like to thump those marketing morons on their heads.
  • Options
    dinu01dinu01 Member Posts: 2,586
    It looks like a blend of the Altima, 03 Accord and 03 Sunfire! Now all's good until u compare it to the H and GM vehicles.

Dinu
    I still like my PRO but want a 6 HB - in a few yrs
  • Options
    mdaffronmdaffron Member Posts: 4,421
    My 2000 Protege ES is doing very well, still bringing grins, at 48,500 miles. I'll pay it off in two years and enjoy no payments for a while (actually keep making the same payments, but to pay down some other debts), and then jump into my brand-new, 2005 or 2006 6s hatchback ... I feel by then, three years into production, Mazda probably will have ironed out all the bugs Ford infected the car with ...

Meade
  • Options
    dinu01dinu01 Member Posts: 2,586
    Great minds think alike. Mind, what mind? No I don't mind.

No but seriously, that's what I'm thinking too. Pay it off, live w/out car pymts for a few yrs, pay other things, then get a 6 HB and pay for another 4 yrs. Seems like all we do is pay pay pay. Speaking of which, today is pay-day!

Dinu
  • Options
    the_big_hthe_big_h Member Posts: 1,583
    "is there any reason to use 93 octane or not?"

not unless you want to waste money and possibly creating excessive carbon deposits in your engine...

stay with regular.
  • Options
    There we go again! Today's payday here too!

I'M RICH AGAIN! (For five minutes; lemme pull out these bills here ...)

Meade
  • Options
    Don't use it unless the manufacturer calls for it. If they do, use nothing but.

I find this explanation extremely helpful when this topic comes up ...

http://theserviceadvisor.com/octane.htm

Meade

• Options
    tiredofmanualtiredofmanual Member Posts: 338
    Take a look at the new Nissan Murano. There's a striking resemblance to the next Maxima. I guess this is the direction Nissan is choosing to go for it's up-market offerings.
  • Options
    fowler3fowler3 Member Posts: 1,919
    every day is pay day -- to somebody else. ;) Keep trading cars and you will spend your life "renting" them from the loan company. Rarely does anyone pay a loan off before trading. But then, we also rent our houses and other big ticket items.

Makes you wonder about "rent to own" companies.

fowler3
  • Options
    acgoldmanacgoldman Member Posts: 3
    trading a 1999 Olds Alero with 55,000 miles and receiving only $5,000 for a new "6"? The invoice of the new "6" would be about $21,000 with all the equipment I want added.

I realize this is a personal decision, but just curious what others think. The Alero runs great.
  • Options
    Yes, a mazda 6 sedan
  • Options
    trading a 1999 Olds Alero with 55,000 miles and receiving only $5,000 for a new "6"? The invoice of the new "6" would be about $21,000 with all the equipment I want added.

I realize this is a personal decision, but just curious what others think. The Alero runs great.
  • Options
    the_big_hthe_big_h Member Posts: 1,583
    how is the Alero holding up? is it falling apart, or still running like the first day you got it?

IIRC Aleros are suppose to be 'premium' midsize sedans. $5000 is very low IMO, heck, a 1999 Protege DX will fetch around that price, yes?

I would say keep the Alero if it's still in top condition, unless you REALLY want to get the 6 :-D
  • Options
    audia8qaudia8q Member Posts: 3,138
    Depends on which model of Alero you have....if its a GX...then $5000 is strong money but if its a GLS with all the goodies the number is soft but they are not trying to steal the car either. This is based upon numbers in the Northeast. Other regions might have different values.
  • Options
    Meade
  • Options
    ambullambull Member Posts: 255
    http://www.kbb.com/kb/ki.dll/kw.kc.ue?kbb.MO;171788;MO095&64114;t&37&5;OL;E3&&&

What audia8q says is true for my zipcode too, but try it yourself. I thought it would be workth more, but that's probably retail.

• Options
    boxfanboxfan Member Posts: 180
    Ouch, you got my hopes up. Thanks for the official release date, though. I think I'll go ahead and get an MP3 player for my current car, since I'll be keeping it for awhile.

I'm just grateful they're actually making the hatchback (even Saab has given them up) so I can't complain about waiting a year (but of course I still will).
  • Options
    ruskiruski Member Posts: 1,566
    it appears that the Maxima designers did not know which way to go, so they applied a little bit of everything - "should we have headlights like Altima or 350Z or G35 sedan or G35 coupe?...hmmmmm...let's mix it up!"
  • Options
    anonymouspostsanonymousposts Member Posts: 3,802
    that has got to be one of the UGLIEST cars I have ever seen. They must've had a bunch of 3 year olds draw a picture and then put them in a hat and picked one. That or they are affiliated with Blind Car Designers of America. One or the other. Makes the Aztek look almost normal. And this is coming from a 2002 SI owner. Sheesh.
  • Options
    zaimonzaimon Member Posts: 124
    The new Quest. If the designers intend to make the production vehicle anything like the concept they've been touting, it would essentially be a porked up Murano that sits much lower to the ground.

Nissan designers have been pretty keen with the Altima and the 350z, but they may be starting to lose their skills/tastes.
  • Options
    newcar31newcar31 Member Posts: 3,711
    What kind of contest are Nissan and Honda having? The Maxima was a great looking car starting in the 88' model year. Since then, they have gotten uglier and uglier.
  • Options
    newcar ... even the most diehard Mazda fan has got to admit the Accord looks like a beauty queen compared to that Maxima.
  • Options
    ashutoshsmashutoshsm Member Posts: 1,007
    I don't think the Maxima looks that bad. Except for the super low rear roof, its a good-looking design.

The Accord, on the other hand, in the 4-door avataar, looks ordinary, bland and bloated.
  • Options
    I would take ordinary and bland anyday over that hideous Murano crossed with Altima design.
  • Options
    doodle4doodle4 Member Posts: 10
    rodlcw: i agree with mileage, the seat is more comfortable without using the lumbar support. i am having trouble getting a comfortable position. the curve on the bottom of the seat back is extreme especially if you ratchet up the lumbar.
    fowler says to use a pillow on the seatback. i will see if it works. my problem is probably that my old car was 11 years old and the seat was molded to my back.
  • Options
    pda97pda97 Member Posts: 91
    Isn't this the 6 forum ? Why are people talking about the Max ? No, the new Max isn't the ugliest new car. That award goes to the Accord ! WOOF, WOOF !!
  • Options
    I'm not really a die hard Mazda fan. I've had 2 Hondas (one was an Acura), 2 Mazdas, a Subaru, and a Ford. When shopping for cars, I always have more than a few cars in mind. I have ALWAYS liked Accords up until now. I agree with you though that I'd be less embarrassed driving the new Accord than driving that new Maxima. It looks like a Hippopotumus.
  • Options
    johnclineiijohnclineii Member Posts: 2,287
    Yeah, a hippopotamus without a bottomus!

Anyway, it sure do make the 6 look even better! Is it just me, or does it look like they got way too impressed with the Cadillac CTS?
  • Options
    seafseaf Member Posts: 339
    I don't think the accord looks bad, it grew on me after seeing it in person. And the 04 maxima doesn't look that bad either, it's all about the evolution of new car designs.

You people sound like kids, putting down other cars to make yourself feel better. Like someone mentioned, this is a Mazda6 forum, not a "Non-Mazda basher" forum.

I'm interested in the Mazda6, which is why I'm here. So far Mazda6 still has to prove itself in terms of reliability and the safety crash tests, which are probably the only factors that is holding me back from finalizing my decision between an Accord and Mazda6.
  • Options
    gee35coupegee35coupe Member Posts: 3,387
    They always have to bring the Accord into any comparison then retreat to "why we talking about the Accord" when they realize the only advantage the 6 has over the Accord will be noticed by very few people in the market for a car in this segment.
  • Options
    "the only advantage the 6 has over the Accord will be noticed by very few people in the market for a car in this segment."

Mazda6 fans don't care and you don't really know. How do you know what "people in the market for a car in this segment" want? You're speaking for a lot of people.

"You people sound like kids, putting down other cars to make yourself feel better."

I think the new Maxima looks like a Hippo. So what? That's what I see in it. Was it the Accord or G35 that had the "bionic cheetah" design theme? I think the Maxima's theme must have been the bionic hippo. It doesn't make me feel better to say this. In fact, I'm kinda disapointed with the redesigns of some of my favorite cars.
  • Options
    regfootballregfootball Member Posts: 2,166
    like ugly girls at closing time.....maybe now with the yucky Accord and the reaction to the new Max....maybe beer goggles will make the Impala attractive!

The 6 is a nice looking car. Not best looking, but really nice and taut. Kinda like Jennifer Garner in a latex dress on Alias.
  • Options
    That aren't buying the 6. And the sales figures will bear this out I'm sure. I know I have yet to see ONE 6 on the road. I even saw Leganzas by now. Even Mazda6 fans are just fans and few have bought one. Heck....I'm a fan.
  • Options
    I agree. There are things about the 6 that I don't like, but overall it's excellent. I don't like the tall looking grill, I wish it were a little more vertically narrow. Compared to other recently redesigned cars though, I don't have much to complain about regarding the 6's styling.
  • Options
    People aren't really buying ANYTHING right now, but I have seen a couple 6's here in Minneapolis. People in Atlanta must have bad taste.
  • Options
    And even more Camry's. Somebody IS buying.
  • Options
    They sold 30,000 Accords though...

And I think they would have sold even more had it looked better and they would've sold even MORE if the economy was decent.
  • Options
    johnclineiijohnclineii Member Posts: 2,287
    If, If, If...

What is, is...

Let's talk about the Mazda6. :)
  • Options
    Considering the factories were just getting up to speed, that's about right for the inventory Level in the off season.
  • Options
    fowler3fowler3 Member Posts: 1,919
    Some people here keep saying the 6 has to "prove its reliability", exactly what do you mean?

Mazdas have always had good reliability. Have you ever seen a Mazda on a flatbed truck going back to the dealer or behind a wrecker? I haven't, but I have seen several new Camrys being hauled some place.

fowler3
  • Options
    30,000 X 12 is 360,000. Pretty close to that 400,000 mark Honda anticipates. Even Mazda knows that the 6 will play to a smaller market. They only anticipate 80,000 sales. They need to sell 6700 per month .. not 461.
  • Options
    vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    I saw my first 6 on the street today, a dark bluish colored one (Lapis Blue, I am guessing). It is a pretty color. I even stopped and backed up about 5 feet to make sure I was right. Upon looking closer, it looked like the basic shape of the Millenia (I was looking at it from its left side), but it still is a nice design.

As far as the heated seat topic earlier discussed, do the seats have variable selections or just on-off like the Millenia had?
  • Options
    mike1770mike1770 Member Posts: 20
    The seats just have an on-off rocker switch (one on each side of the front of the console.) No way to vary the heat, but there's a built-in thermostat that keeps it from getting too hot.

I'm finally beginning to get used to driving my 6s. My previous car was a Prelude, and felt a good bit smaller. I realized I've been driving fairly cautiously in the 6, but now I'm getting comfortable with the bigger vehicle, and started tossing it around more tonight. The handling is very precise, and the car never seems to lose its composure. And now that I've gotten about 750 miles on the car, I feel freer about letting the engine rev. The car doesn't feel especially fast, certainly not with the drama of, say, a pony car, but it does move VERY quickly. I think it's the LACK of drama that contributes to the fact that I always seem to find myself exceeding the speed limit lately. ;-)
  • Options
    jtkz13jtkz13 Member Posts: 51
    After telling myself that I would save for a loaded V6 MTX Mazda 6 I put a deposit down on a 2003 Altima 3.5 SE Manual.

Why? Power. Period. And resale value.

The 6 just seemed like it needed too much rpms to stay in the powerband, and the Altima pulled verrrry nicely from 2500-up. The altima also has been out a year, so it probably has most of the kinks worked out. Plus I got the HID's, and a larger interior.

Here's my comparo between the 6 and Altima:

Brakes:The 6 has better brake feel, and the Altima has sort of a dead feeling at initial push-in. However after the intial push it grabs nicely and stops well.

Interior:The 6 feels much smaller inside, and a little cramped to be honest, where the Altima is nearly as wide as my taurus, and has a useable back seat. I think the ergonomics on both are very good, but I give the quality edge to the 6, but only marginally. Ie. shifter knob, ac vents.
    Power: No comparison, the VQ 3.5 SE pulls better than the Duratec 6 at every rpm. Period.

Style: I think the 6 is dead sexy, but the Altima looks very nice too. I actually like the 6 a tiny bit better.

Value: I got a 110% loaded Altima for $27.5. For the extra $2500 I got:
    Better resale value
    25hp/*55lb/ft tq*
    Larger, more accomodating interior
    Better aftermarket support
    Engine that has been on ward's 10best for 8 straight years.

In summary I chose the Altima for the extra power, equivalently good handling, proven reliabilty and resale value, and.....ok the extra power. :D
  • Options
    vocus: The 6 does look like a scaled down Millenia. Not a bad thing since the Millenia is not a bad looking car but not what I would expect Mazda to do for a car that they say is ground-breaking for them.

As far as the Altima ... not the choice I woulda made but I'm sure everyone else in here will have an opinion on that too.
  • Options
    capitanocapitano Member Posts: 509
    but I hate that gauge pod thing, the steering wheel and the pathetic little fuel door release latch that pokes up through a hole in the carpet.