Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Mazda6 Sedan

Comments

• Options
    gee35coupegee35coupe Member Posts: 3,387
    Naa I'll just leave that alone.
  • Options
    mikef208mikef208 Member Posts: 69
    I was just checking out the first drive of the nissan titan, and came across this pic

http://a332.g.akamai.net/f/332/936/12h/www.edmunds.com/media/road- tests/firstdrive/2004/04.nissan.titan/04.nissan.titan.king.int.50- 0.jpg

sorry i don't know how to post the actual pic, but I was surprised how the middle dash area looks a lot like the 6.
  • Options
    miata10aemiata10ae Member Posts: 90
    That was it. Today the mustache was shaved. Original grille is out replaced with the sport grille. Total installation time 5 minutes. If you like the sport grille I recommend buying it and doing the installation yourself. Plus you get to keep the original grille in case you change your mind. It is really easy to install; 2 philips screws and 4 clips. This car keeps looking better and better.
  • Options
    r2s2r2s2 Member Posts: 93
    My Redfire 6s w/sport and everything else ("To be built sometime in May for delivery in early June" -- Waaaaaa!) will have black leather. You may prefer the beige, Chikoo but no need to diss us black leather folk . . .
  • Options
    jbchapmanjbchapman Member Posts: 21
    I'm a cloth guy, too. I'm used to the mouse fur fabric that is pretty much standard in Japanese (and most American) cars. The Mazda6 cloth seat covering is a hard finish (not fuzzy) fabric. I wasn't convinced of its durability, and the appearance didn't appeal, so I sprung for the leather seats when I bought my '6 a few months ago.

This is the first car I have owned with leather upholstery. I was (and still am) very pleased with the appearance of the gray leather along with the two-tone gray interior panels and the onyx black exterior finish.

I should mention that the leather seats seemed firmer than the cloth seats. You need to sit in both kinds before deciding.
  • Options
    shawnvtshawnvt Member Posts: 13
    I figured I would give my two cents regarding leather. I have a Steel Gray Metallic 6i/AT with black leather. See:
    http://filebox.vt.edu/users/shkelly2/public/Mazda6/New%20Car.htm

Like many, I decided to splurge for the leather since this may be my only chance before my wife and I start having kids. It just feels (and smells) nice sitting in it. The seats feel firm, but not hard.

My only worries are my dog (see the above link) and the sun. For the latter I plan on getting the windows tinted. For my dog...he doesn't get to ride unless there are towels on the seats.

I would recommend the leather upgrade, it goes with the styling of the car. The cloth seats seemed rough, less welcoming and stylish.

But that is just my 2-cents.

By the way, in Blacksburg, VA I have seen two other 6's, a white with sport and a black. It is nice being looked at :)

Shawn
  • Options
    ruefusruefus Member Posts: 254
    "But the ugly Element is selling ..... "

No need to leave it alone - it is, and there are a million reasons why. And they have nothing to do with looks or performance.

Yep - when I was at a bicycle race on Sunday, I saw THREE in the parking lot. Young people aren't buying them - people over 40 with active lifestyles are. In fact - according to AutoNews, the average age of an Element buyer is 41.
  • Options
    mrblonde49mrblonde49 Member Posts: 626
    Speaking from experience, dog hair is MUCH easier to clean from leather seats than cloth ones. So even if it gets by the towel (and you know it will) – it shouldn’t be much of a problem

We have 3 dogs. My wife used to have a Nissan Frontier crew cab, where the dogs sat in the back seat pretty frequently. When our first child was getting closer to arrival, we decided we had to get a small SUV since the dogs and baby couldn’t share a back seat. My wife’s number one requirement: Leather seats. (Wound up getting the Hyundai) I think the Frontier that we traded may still have some dog hairs in that back seat…
  • Options
    tsculltscull Member Posts: 13
    has anyone checked the gas mileage on the v6? consumer
    reports measured only 20 mpg.
  • Options
    aromasaromas Member Posts: 314
    To those with cloth seats, are you edges braying(sp) around the leg area. I used a lint brush to get it off but there still seems to be some left as well as around the bottom of the back seat where I have the car seat. Don't recall this happening with any other new car I had.

Has anybody waxed their 6 yet. I used Meguirs Gold on mine and now someone told me you should have waited 6 months for the paint to cure, he got me paranoid. Is there any reason to wait. I figure the sooner the better.
  • Options
    dinu01dinu01 Member Posts: 2,586
    So far I have only seen one 4 cyl in black, no sport pckg, rims, spoiler, nada.

I started seeing quite a few silver V6s fully loaded (see sunroof, leather, etc) - at least 1 every 2-3 days. So I think people are becoming more aware of them, although I doubt more than 10% of the population knows what a Mazda6 is if asked.

Also saw a white V6, but no other colours.

BTW, this board is a hassle to catch-up to :)

Dinu
  • Options
    ambullambull Member Posts: 255
    From Dictionary.com:
    v. brayed, bray·ing, brays
    v. intr.
    1. To utter the loud, harsh cry of a donkey.
    2. To sound loudly and harshly: The foghorn brayed all night.

No wonder your seats have been fraying. Next time keep the donkey out of the car ;)

Sorry, I couldn't resist.
  • Options
    mazdamarlamazdamarla Member Posts: 350
    quote by dinu01:
    although I doubt more than 10% of the population knows what a Mazda6 is if asked.

OMIGOSH how true this is! I was telling a co-worker about my newly ordered car, and some other ladies from accounting came over to go to break with her. So she tells them I ordered a new car, and she says "tell them what you're getting!" So I say "a new Mazda6". One of them says "what's that?" I said "you know - the Zoom-Zoom commercials with the little school kid?" She says "oh - well, it SOUNDS cool." She obviously had NO IDEA what this car is.

Another guy I was talking to, back before I placed my order, I was telling him about my test drive and how I loved the car, etc. He says "Huh - never really thought about a Mazda before". BINGO! Which is fine with me...I won't mind being one of (relatively) few on the road with this car! I like driving something that not everyone and their brother (and sister, and father, and best friend....) drives.
  • Options
    I think my keyboard's F key defaults to B. Let me test it. ffffffffffffffff. Naw it works. I need to drink stronger cobbee in the morning and to leave the donkey in the garage.
  • Options
    tiredofmanualtiredofmanual Member Posts: 338
    Don't worry about the wax. It's another of those sayings that may have been true 20 years ago but not now. Your paint was baked on at high temperature at the factory and was fully cured and ready for wax before it was driven off the end of the assembly line.
  • Options
    cookie01cookie01 Member Posts: 369
    Gee, ever been to Oregon? I see an Element at LEAST twice a day. No kidding. Red, Green, yellow, Grey, Black (red and black actually look pretty cool), white and more. They're EVERYWHERE, almost to the point of the "new" Bug in how many times a day you see one.

Maybe the car is "useful" here. We have lots of outdoor activities AND mud... and you can hose that thing out.

Still very few M6. And I'm with Marla, the fewer, the better. In a month or two when the Element is "ho-hum" my car will still look fresh.
  • Options
    Are anyone else's cloth seats fraying? This has me a bit concerned.
  • Options
    6_is_good6_is_good Member Posts: 11
    I waxed my car this last weekend with Liquid Glass and was very impressed with the shine. tiredofmanual is right--the paint is okay to wax. In fact there was a coat already on that i had to remove before I waxed it. I think the dealers put some sort of polish or wax on it as part of there prep.

I have put 1500 miles on mine and the only peoblem I have had was a creaking drivers seat. Just started to happen about a week ago. Annoying.
  • Options
    chikoochikoo Member Posts: 3,008
    but I saw a black leather with no lexol on it and I did not like it. just my opijion. Maybe it feels better after Lexol is applied.
    Maybe the beige had lexol applied to it.

Sorry.
  • Options
    ruefusruefus Member Posts: 254
    *blech*

Now we know why people are given choices. I can stand beige leather.
  • Options
    I live in Columbus, OH. I just checked the mazdausa site and there appear to be 10 mazda dealers in Oh,I was hoping they might have a rating system, so I can weed out the crappy places, but it looks like I may have to go by word of mouth. So anybody buy a mazda in OH?
  • Options
    bluem6ibluem6i Member Posts: 77
    "I have put 1500 miles on mine and the only peoblem I have had was a creaking drivers seat. Just started to happen about a week ago. Annoying."

I had a creaking seat (more of a squeak in the backrest)in a Saturn, once. The dealer had to remove the cloth cover and trim or reposition the foam padding.
  • Options
    fowler3fowler3 Member Posts: 1,919
    Maybe the reason we see so few 6es on the road is because other buyers are having the same problems deciding color, seat material, 6i or 6s, options.

Many are waiting for the 5-door and wagon versions. In the meantime they struggle with the details: this or that and the "gotta haves".

Why do we go at buying a car as if we are going to keep it the rest of our lives and it has to be "everything I wanted in a car"? Believe me, 25 years from now you won't remember much about it.

I'm not in the market for a 6 at this time, but I'm having the same problems deciding what I would buy, if...by chance... I buy sooner than planned.

I like the beige cloth, it was on the 6s I test drove, and my Protege has beige cloth. But yesterday, while my Pro was being serviced, I sat in a 6s with black leather seats. The leather is softer to the touch than the cloth, which has a nubby textured fabric on the inserts. Some people may find the nubby texture uncomfortable, especially on the armrests, when wearing short sleeve shirts. The leather seats also felt more flexible than the cloth seats, more compression in the cushion.

The seats have been designed to give a little when passing over rough pavement and having more movement in the seat cushion helps. It's all part of Mazda's engineering to give a smooth ride.

I have a dog, too, and wondered if keeping hair off isn't better with leather. The door bolster above the leather door inserts is the same on all models, so some claw scratches may happen. The armrests have the same perferated leather covering as the seats.

So, I will probably opt for beige leather when I buy. The nubby fabric may get dirty faster and will be hard to clean.

What makes the 6 so appealing is its overall size. It isn't a true medium-size car. Small cars are endearing to their owners because they are "personal", their own little hideout. The 6 has this feeling in abundance...along with top quality materials and the fun factor to drive.

Shawn: Good to see someone from my old stomping grounds. I'm from Radford, now living in North Carolina.

fowler3
  • Options
    On my first tank of gas I got close to 24 mpg on a 6s MT. It inlcuded city and highway driving. I didn't push the car hard because of the break in period. I will keep you posted after I use up my second tank of gas.
  • Options
    pgmrpgmr Member Posts: 6
    Anyone know if the trip meter can display additional information such as oil pressure, water temp, fuel level, etc?

If so, what is the procedure for doing this?
  • Options
    But I would put a towel down too. Hair...Also, keep her nails trimmed so she doesn't poke a hole in your armrest.

I had a dog in a car with a leather armrest and after about a year of her stepping up there to see what was going on, she put a hole in the leather. I never replaced it. They said it would be $100 for the work... Sheesh, that's a lot of dog food.
  • Options
    I am not yet in the market for the 6, I plan to wait for the hatch, but i was wondering whateveryones thoughts are on the engines. I have heard several say that the 4 was plenty powerful, then I have heard others say both engines seem underpowered. How would adding a turbo to the 4 add to the mix. I don't know much about turbos, do they increase engine wear at all? What exactly do they provide, torque, top end speed???
  • Options
    MikeF, as far as the engine power of the i4 vs v6, you'll have to drive both and decide for yourself.
    Generally, a turbo will provide more torque, hp, top end, all the good stuff. And the bonus is, if you take it easy, it will get good MPG too! Yes, it will increase engine heat and wear and you should change oil more often, and let it idle after a hard run before you turn the engine off or risk the oil "coking" in the turbo, necessitating rebuilding or replacement. But it should be good for over 100K miles with proper maintenance.
  • Options
    the_big_hthe_big_h Member Posts: 1,583
    like HKS and Greddy are already developing turbo kits for the 4cyl......

and Mazdaspeed had an AWD turbo Mazda6 concept at the Geneva show last year.

so seems like the aftermarket has already become very friendly with the 6...
  • Options
    How do you tell if there is a coat of wax on the car previously? Does it really matter if you apply a new coat over it. My car seems to shine pretty good. I know some detailers put synthetic to get the shine and then put a coat of carnuba over it to bring out the richness of the colour.
  • Options
    markjennmarkjenn Member Posts: 1,142
    Both the 4-cyl and V6 are good engines and competitive in power and smoothness, but they're a notch down from the best in this class - the Hondas. If engine power and smoothness are big factors for you, you definitely should look at the Accords.

- Mark
  • Options
    edmund2460edmund2460 Member Posts: 293
    I posted a note in the PRO room explaining that since my wife had bought a new Camry I realized that what I really wanted in life was a quiet comfortable car, than performance. I said this was a consequence of getting older tho I was not quite your vintage (hope you are not offended). Anyway so you must have or are in the process of buying a 6 since you are hanging out here more.

While on the subject, do you think as we get older we might lean more towards cars like the Buick?
  • Options
    How do you tell if there is a coat of wax on the car previously?

If the water beads on the surface of your paint it means you have a coat of wax on your car. It won't matter if you apply a new coat of wax over it.
  • Options
    alcjewalcjew Member Posts: 173
    mikef208: According to th Mazda Fuel (Jan-Feb'03)mag (as of Oct '02) there are no OH Mazda dealers in the top 25 for Sales, but 2 for Care service, (#4)Chuck Nicholson in Dover and (#8) Bill Marine in Springfield. Top honors for sales goes to Roger Beasley, in Austin, TX. The late '02 to early '03 ratings should be out soon.
  • Options
    jbchapmanjbchapman Member Posts: 21
    "While on the subject, do you think as we get older we might lean more towards cars like the Buick?"

I am 55 years old. I had to drive a Buick Century rental car for several weeks recently, and I can tell you I will never be old enough to prefer a car like that. I was shocked. I didn't think they made 'em like that any more. It was like being transported back in time, to the '70s.
  • Options
    buggywhipbuggywhip Member Posts: 188
    Yes, and the Buick Century edition before its latest itineration hadn't been updated for over a decade. Straight outta 1982. THAT was a real time-warp. But the latest Century offers lotsa options for the $$$. Odd that the Century sold over 10,000 units in Feb and the Mazda6 barely sold 2800. And the Century has nice wide seats..........and the Mazda6, it appears, does NOT. I think that's why the 6 won't appeal to ample-seated older people--its seats are too narrow..............BTW, I saw a yellow Mazda6 today. It still had the sticker on it so I think it was being test-driven. That particular AT car has been unsold on the lot for months; if it had a stick, I'd buy it.
  • Options
    purplerocpurpleroc Member Posts: 5
    The new Honda's are so boring to look at. They have no character at all. I think the last model looked better.
  • Options
    alcjewalcjew Member Posts: 173
    purpleroc: I think the '94 - '97 Accord style looked the best then it went downhill from there.
  • Options
    fowler3fowler3 Member Posts: 1,919
    "While on the subject, do you think as we get older we might lean more towards cars like the Buick?"

I may "lean" for other reasons considering my "vintage", but not for Buicks. I bought Buicks in the 60's and 70's. Outgrew them and drove 4-speed and 5-speed MTs for 25 years. Then went back to AT's in 1998, but still driving "import" cars.

After a bad ear infection, loss of equalibrium, I could never stand riding in American cars, especially big Buicks, they wallow and pitch too much over rough pavement. Firmer suspension is fine. But there are times I wish my Protegé was smoother, that's why I am interested in the 6. It seems like the perfect size and the new suspension is great.

About leather or cloth seats and carrying your dog. I put a soft blanket (throw) over the back seat to prevent soiling and it helps to keep hair off the upholstery. I have a small dog and before buying the Pro, I measured the distance from the arm rest to the window sill to be sure it wasn't too tall for her to see out. Now that she is use to riding in the car she hangs out the window. Looks over my shoulder at the window buttons and barks for me to run her window down.

I also put three large, foam pillows standing on end, on the floor to protect her if I have to stop suddenly. They work fine as "airbags".

fowler3
  • Options
    skyrayskyray Member Posts: 156
    It's never a matter of age, it's "attitude."

I'm darn close to 38, and sold my Miata to get a 6 because I finally matured enough to have a baby. :-) But in many ways, I still have more fun, and take life less seriously, than some folks I know in their early 20s.

Should I be lucky enough to make it to my 80s, I'm certain I'll be far more likely to be driving something like a Mazda 6 or Miata (perhaps with add-on nanotech orthopedic cushioning, of course :-) than a Buick or my dad's Caddy.

My maturity levels and seriousness have been slowly but steadily declining since they peaked at a "too serious" 17. I have no reason to expect that trend to stop.

Just food for thought for you 20-something whippersnappers who fear you'll have to, like, grow up and become boring in your 30s and 40s.

..Denny, 37 years old, new dad, collects comic books and writes about computer games for a living
  • Options
    stretchsjestretchsje Member Posts: 700
    think that's why the 6 won't appeal to ample-seated older people--its seats are too narrow.

That's pathetic- cars are going to have to come in different seat widths soon. The seats are already fattened for Americans, and I personally weigh in at 6'5", 185lbs, and have much too much room. What's next? A bench up front?
  • Options
    I have to agree that the 6's seats are a little bit on the narrow side for people with ample derrieres. I've had a few people on the heavy side(200+ lbs)in the passenger side and the 1st thing they mention is the seats seem snug and they didn't look comfortable. For me at 5"10" and 175 it fits my butt perfect but I guess it gives me an incentive to never gain 30 lbs.
  • Options
    gearhead10gearhead10 Member Posts: 84
    the_big_h: Are the turbos made specifically for the 6? Very intriguing. How much do they cost?

skyray: I'm considering the 6 specifically 'cause it is fun to drive. Any new computer games you recommend?

- 39 year old dad that spends more time on the PS2 than his 6 year old son
  • Options
    gearhead10gearhead10 Member Posts: 84
    I'm 5'6", 175 lbs and found the 6's seats and driving position very comfortable. Leather is not as nice as in my Lexus (duh!) but still attractive and very sporty in black which contrasts with the silver console well.

So far have only seen two 6's--a yellow and a white one both with sport packages and both on city streets. I drive a busy 17 mile stretch of the 405 freeway through LA county on the way to and from work everyday and cannot believe I haven't seen a single 6 on it! Mostly SUVs, minivans, econoboxes and boring Camcordimas. Southern California and I only see 2-3 Bimmers and Benzes a day! Really a dreary selection of cars--just mindboggling. Have seen two Elements--just wonderful....
  • Options
    buggywhipbuggywhip Member Posts: 188
    Well, I've sat in the Mazda6 seats (briefly). And I studied them at length too (A Mazda6 was on display in a local mall). What struck me when I first saw the seats was they reminded me of fitted racing seats. The seemed very lean and almost understuffed--not cheap, just simple and elegant and artful. They were also very firm. I don't think they'll be particularly comfy for anyone over, say, 210 lbs. or so..........the Altima seats I tried were nice--almost oversized, well-stuffed, decently firm. But put in 5 yrs of driving and those seats will turn into beanbag chairs.
  • Options
    You can get many GMs with bench seats.

I like em.. Really! It's sorta like sitting on a couch, very nice for the passenger... Not so great for the driver.
    Mostly because on a sharp corner you can slide around.
  • Options
    Are the leather seats shaped differently from the cloth? Or is the material the only difference?
  • Options
    azauralazaural Member Posts: 3
    At 6+ feet and 300+ lbs, 50+ years, seating was a big concern for me. GM stuff is far too soft. I looked at and sat in 20+ cars before deciding on the 6s with fabric seats. The telescoping steering wheel is a big plus. The Passat was roomier but the thigh bolsters were too stiff. Other than my pickup, (and the Nissan Murano), I found the 6 to be a most comfortable fit.
  • Options
    6_is_good6_is_good Member Posts: 11
    mikef208: I live in Columbus too. I purchased my 6 at Byers in Dublin. I dealt directly with the Sales manager and was able to get S plan Pricing. After waiting 3 months for the car, he told me that they no longer offered s-plan on V6 MT with Sport (He still gave it to me though). In fact, once the VIN is created the car is shown in the dealer inventory. My car was on the internet nearly a month and a half before it actually arrived to the dealer and he said they had alot of calls asking for it. Luckily it was spoken for. In the beginning I also dealt with Ricart and they seemed extremly shady. I actually first called them about the MazdaSpeed P. They told me that they would have them in soon and I should go down there to look and there inventory on order. Turns out there not even a Mazdaspeed dealer.

About the wax issue. Depending on what brand of wax you are putting on you may need to remove the previous coat to insure it bonds properly to the surface.
  • Options
    vini29vini29 Member Posts: 2
    I'm happy to say i have got a new Mazda 6 GT-V6 GFX.

I love the car. It's working fine.