Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Have you recently purchased a new minivan? A reporter would like to talk to you; please reach out to [email protected] by July 2 for more details.
Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

2013 Porsche 911 Carrera Cabriolet Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Posts: 10,059
edited September 2014 in Porsche

image2013 Porsche 911 Carrera Cabriolet Long-Term Road Test

Choosing the PDK automatic transmission over the seven-speed manual was a tough decision, and I'm still not sure it was the right one.

Read the full story here

Tagged:

Comments

• bonzjrbonzjr Posts: 44
    I've driven the new 911 equipped with the PDK. I'm one of the biggest manual trans defenders on this (or any) site. And I have to say -- that for the first time ever -- someone build an automated manual I could live with on a daily basis. The Porsche PDK is that good. (I'd still have to have a weekend toy with a true stick somewhere in the household fleet though.)
  • sharpendsharpend Posts: 177
    Actually, a lot of reviewers complain about the new 7 speed manual in the 911 and recommend the PDK instead.

The 6 speed manual in the Boxster/Boxster S, however, is highly praised.
  • i just want a manual in a big sedan with a big engine you can't find one these days =(
  • cjasiscjasis Posts: 274
    Amen Ed, amen. The PDK is an absolutely fantastic transmission and is more efficient and faster than any human being on the earth. But... and this is a big old, Sir Mix A Lot type but... it's still not a good three pedal manual.

There are still a few of us who are ok not magazine racing or being the fastest thing every to go stop light to stop light that like the challenge of getting a properly executed heel toe downshift right.

I hope and pray Porsche doesn't go the Ferrari route and abandon the three pedal manual all together.
  • Agreed. I know a good automated manual, and even some true automatics, offer better performance these days, but they still don't give you the same fun involvement that a proper manual has. If you want the ultimate hot lap time machine, sure go for the automated manual, but if we're talking just enjoying the drive, give me the manual.
  • I've driven a PDK 911. It's great transmission, probably the best dual clutch out there, but it can't come close to the fun of a manual. I would get the manual, but I do understand why people get the PDK, I just wish fewer would get it.
  • Agree.. not to mention that on the Boxster PDK is a $7,000 option! That's way too much to pay IMHO for something that still is not quite as good as the feeling of rowing your own gears. I understand availability and depreciation may change that over the years, but $7,000 is a lot on a car that starts at around $50k.
  • Agree.. not to mention that on the Boxster PDK is a $7,000 option! That's way too much to pay IMHO for something that still is not quite as good as the feeling of rowing your own gears. I understand availability and depreciation may change that over the years, but $7,000 is a lot on a car that starts at around $50k.