Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

How To Quickly Decode Your VIN

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited September 2014 in General

imageHow To Quickly Decode Your VIN

We tried out a free search tool that lets you translate your car's VIN and found some interesting information.

Read the full story here

Comments

• ctdeihlctdeihl Member Posts: 0
    All I wanna find out is were the 2-3 solenoid is in a 1999 gmc seirra 5.3ltr is,can anyone HELP ME FIND OUT were it is ?
  • sadam72sadam72 Member Posts: 1
    my car has vin and without paint code how to get paint code?
  • znkeneneznkenene Member Posts: 2
    Please how do i search for a vin engine #
  • znkeneneznkenene Member Posts: 2
    Please how do i search for a vin engine #
  • cbush75896cbush75896 Member Posts: 2
    From 1975 to 2006 you can decode vin here http://vehicleidentificationnumber.com/vin-decoder/ford-truck.html
  • cbush75896cbush75896 Member Posts: 2
    For Free
  • VIN_CheckVIN_Check Member Posts: 1
    edited July 2019
    Thank you for the information! just saved myself $7500 dollars from buying a truck that had 2 unreported accidents! https://www.vehiclehistory.report
  • IownaHondayIownaHonday Member Posts: 1
    Thanks! That was a big help. Found what I needed.
  • Moseb01Moseb01 Member Posts: 1
    How do hybrid/green Vins differ from regular cars?
  • Jogie707Jogie707 Member Posts: 1
    I just need to find the production month! Can anyone help me???
  • wolleyworldwolleyworld Member Posts: 2
    edited December 2019
    glad i could help
  • wolleyworldwolleyworld Member Posts: 2
    Jogie707 said:

I just need to find the production month! Can anyone help me???

PRODUCTION MONTH CAN BE FOUND ON THE BLACK STICKER INSIDE OF THE DRIVER SIDE DOOR PANEL. IT SHOULD BE A DATE LIKE 02/19 IN THAT FORMAT. 02 IS THE MONTH 19 IS THE YEAR.
  • caryscarscaryscars Member Posts: 1
    Is there any way to find out the actual number of a vehicle off the assembly line? In other words, was it, say, the 5th or the 2350th to come off the line? I have a 2019 Infinity Q70L AWD 5.6, which is extremely unusual anyway, and 2019 was the final year that Nissan (Infinity) made (or at any rate sold in North America) the Q70. So I'm kind of curious where my particular vehicle numbered in the production process.
  • Keith20201LKeith20201L Member Posts: 1
    Your vin coding does not work my 10th character is 0 you say they do not use zero 0 .
    My car was manufacture 2019 you say this is letter K no K in my vin.
    So this is total rubbish or your information is out of data and not relevent
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,218

Your vin coding does not work my 10th character is 0 you say they do not use zero 0 .
    My car was manufacture 2019 you say this is letter K no K in my vin.
    So this is total rubbish or your information is out of data and not relevent

The article was last updated in 2014.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• vinfromregvinfromreg Member Posts: 1
    That's an amazing article. This is what i was exactly searching for. Really got in-depth ideas about VIN. Keep posting these kinds of articles. Thanks a lot!
  • DarrelDarrel Member Posts: 1
    How do I find out the exterior paint color when the driver's side front door has been replaced and there is no label there?