Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Civic Si vs. VW GTI

Comments

• rickroverrickrover Member Posts: 601
    That's a complete list of GTI features - I can't think of anything else to add- although I see VW adds about 50 standard features - between you and I we've covered a lot of them. The GTI is a nice premium, complete package alright.

No creaks, squeaks, or wheel shimmy here- solid as a rock.

I wonder how many people actually cross shop the SI and the GTI - judging by this forum group I doubt many do.
    The SI crowd is more about price and statistics - plus they put the blinders on in regards to any flaws - it's perfect by golly because I say it is - squeaks, creaks, rattles and shaking be damned - just turn up the radio and hold the wheel tighter-no problemo here LOL. They even lambast their own to keep them in line - don't bring up any flaws fellow SI owners or you'll get blasted here.
    That is very telling - is it possible they don't report all their "issues" at survey time? - just an observation - The SI really is good value for the money - but you do appear to get what you pay for - basic transport at a reasonable price (as long as the dealers continue to give them away) nothing wrong with that.

The GTI crowd on the other hand like all the features and premium quality materials with thoughtful design in a well built Euro themed package - and are willing to pay a little more for it. Survey's be damned we drive what we like. We do seem to acknowledge that nothing is perfect and report it honestly in survey's rather than put the blinders on....
  • gsgman69gsgman69 Member Posts: 75
    "Like only around 5% of U.S. cars are manual."

Not true. Last I heard about 1 of 7, or about 14% cars sold in the US had manual transmissions.

I have also heard that VW, BMW,Honda are near the top in manaul equipped cars, each having 25% or more of their cars equipped this way.
  • hamproofhamproof Member Posts: 241
    Well said. I came from an 01 A4 but my experience with the car and especially with the Audi dealership turned me off. Of course this varies depending on where you are located and what dealerships you go to.

I would love to have stayed with the A4 but I gave it up after 2 years and bought myself an Si as a beater. The GTi would not have been a beater to me since it would have cost more than what the Si cost me. And I would have to deal with the same dealership since they do sell VW and Audis as well. The 3 things I missed most in my A4 are: AWD, HID and auto dimming mirrors.
  • gee35coupegee35coupe Member Posts: 3,387
    Manual share has dwindled here. Very poular overseas though. But then so are diesels.
    My last manual car was an 01 Audi A4. I didn't hear any whinning sound when I reverse. That was my reference.

I've been told that ALL Honda manual cars make this sound. Strange since my friend who has Integras and Preludes do not know of this sound when I described to him. I guess if you are so used to the sound, it becomes second nature. I was genuinely shocked initially when I heard it. Like I said, a colleague of mine went out for lunch in my car and when I reversed, she said what's that sound? Is something wrong? So, for those of us who are not familiar w/ Honda trans. it is shocking.
    And the great thing is you can get almost all of those thoughful features on a 15.6k base Golf too. About the only thing not premium on that car is the steel wheels as it has power window/locks/mirrors, cruise control, 4 wheel discs w/ ABS, tilt telescoping wheel, optional ESP, etc.
    Can you comment on your tires? You said the originals were MXV4 Pilots but the dealer swapped them out and gave you Energys.

I looked at my tires during lunch and I didn't see any markings on them indicating they are Pilots or Energys. All I see are the MXV4 markings. Maybe that explains why I'm complaining about my tires performance. Either that or I'm used to driving with summer tires (Dunlop SP8000)
    about the tilt telescoping wheel I like that feature too - yes everything we mentioned is standard on any VW, even the most basic Golf GL isn't basic at all. ESP (Electronic Stability Program)wasn't available in 02 but is a bargain at $200 on the 03's plus like the ASR you can always switch it off. Yep - GL Golf has everything my GTI has but alloy wheels and turbo engine - ABS, side/ head airbags etc, etc all standard on the GL.
    I just went "shopping" for an SI here via Honda's site. The best I found in the central Texas area was 15,995 for a 2002 SI(didn't look to see if it had side airbags). Also found a 2002 SI for 16,995 w/ 3.9 APR, so good deals are out there.

The problem is when I pull up a picture of the car on these site. The have several colors including white, black, yellow(eck!), and maybe one other, but none of the look right.

The cars in these photos really look like 7/10 scale minivans as the sloping hood has almost the same angle as the windshield as in a real minivan. The sides of the car have no visual distinction, much less sport aspirations. There is a simple fix for this however, and that is for Honda to:

1.) offer some kind of optional body kit to spruce things up. In the UK the SIRs have a more aggresive look, http://www.honda.co.uk/new.html

2.) Make larger wheels optional for G-d's sake!

When you have 15 inchers on this thing it really does preserve the proportions of a minivan, hence if you are looking at a photo w/o reference to scale it really does look like one.

The Mini, which cost about the same as an SI has 3 wheel sizes from which to choose.

How hard is it for dealers to keep extra tires/wheels on hand in different sizes and then take the extra 10 minutes to change them out at time of sale?

I thinks maybe is has something to do with demand of Hondas in the past and their reputations as "order takers."

But I think Honda would rather keep things "SIMPLE" for themselves and their customers. Too bad that's not a good reflection on their customer base which I infer would rather not have many choices when it comes to their autos.

Touting VW quality or reliability in the U.S. but I kept getting people who say "never buy a VW". Oh well.
    That's with dest. included to boot!
    I agree with you on the rims and body kit. But then, I can count 2 people who would disagree.
    The Mini which got frame damage??? from a corner bump. No thanks. Guess all the money went into the "choices".

Hondas is the "we make it simple' company. DX/LX/EX what kinda car you want?
    All I have to say is that the majority of Americans must have to have some kind of irrational hatred of hatchbacks in order for them to prefer a 17,000 EX model over a 15,000 SI model.........
    Didn't hear about the Mini frame damage - what happened?

Ok then on to option 2 - just give the customer the right wheels standard and adjust the MSRP accordingly. Doesn't the base RSX come w/ 16 inchers standard - probably for a good reason.

Options 3 - Manufacturer should test ride all wheel/tire combinations before putting car up for sale. Funny that doesn't sound like a BMW-type mistake as they are the kings of the small wheel/arch gaps.
    cheap cars. Here's a question. What's the difference bet. a 5 door hatchback and a wagon?

Why is the RSX/Celica/Cougar/Tiburon called hatchback as well when none of them look anything like the Si/GTi??

Is there a fine line bet. the wagons of Audi (avants)/BMW/Mercedes/Volvos compared to say the 5 door Golf/Focus ZX5? Why are the latter referred to as hatchbacks and not wagons?
    Didn't hear about the Mini frame damage - what happened?

Ok then on to option 2 - just give the customer the right wheels standard and adjust the MSRP accordingly. Doesn't the base RSX come w/ 16 inchers standard - probably for a good reason.

Options 3 - Manufacturer should test ride all wheel/tire combinations before putting car up for sale. Funny that doesn't sound like a BMW-type mistake as they are the kings of the small wheel/arch gaps.
  • anonymouspostsanonymousposts Member Posts: 3,802
    The Mini suffered slight frame damage in the low-speed impact bumper test. Kinda shocking.

Why should Honda put bigger wheels (which some still might complain about because they don't like the design) and charge extra when the owner can just go buy some 17 or even 18" wheels if they choose to. Then the stock 15" tires could be used as winter tires. It's not that big of a deal.
    Cause a new set of quality 17 or 18 inch wheels and tires will set you back a grand or more. Most people who are financing for 3-6 years don't want to shell out for these kind of extra right away.

On the other hand with a GTI for $700 I can have a matched Eibach suspension package put on that will put my car way ahead of the SI in the handling department, whilst preserving the GTI's superior ride characteristics and make the car look better via a 1-1.5" drop.

Again Honda doesn't have to put them on automatically it would be an OPTION.

If Honda was really interested in saving their customers money, since they will be upgrading later anyway, they would have put on 15" steel wheels like they do on other civic models.

Also half the country doesn't really car about getting winter tires.
    You do have the "option" to buy bigger wheels and tires. And they can be of your choosing not Hondas. As an option they would probably run you several hundred dollars as is the case with the optional 17" wheels they have for the Accord.

How many 99-00 SI's do you see with their stock rims on? Even with the few 02 SI's that have been sold alot of them already have aftermarket wheels.

And it's all really irrelevant when according to your trusty Road & Track the SI with 15" wheels out-slaloms the GTI GLX 64.1 MPH to 58.8 MPH. The GTI is in way more need of springs than the SI is of 17" wheels. Wheels can't overcome an inferior suspension. The rear beam suspension of the GTI is what most would call inferior.
  • gotenks243gotenks243 Member Posts: 116
    http://www.hwysafety.org/vehicle_ratings/ce/html/0222.htm

When the same people who did that bumper test give the Mini a Good rating and a Best Pick, I would not worry about it. An attentive driver with a nimble Mini won't have to worry about hitting their front end into a barrier at an angle anyway.

Mike

Yeah but what if their boyfriend doesn't pull the parking brake up good and the cars rolls into the mailbox? These are hypotheticals you gotta think about....

I'd hate to see the insurance rates for the Mini now that the test is out there showing frame damage. Any frame damage, however slight, is going to slaughter the value of the car if they are trying to sell it to someone who has it properly checked out.
  • drivinisfundrivinisfun Member Posts: 372
    What the heck are you talking about?
    "And it's all really irrelevant when according to your trusty Road & Track the SI with 15" wheels out-slaloms the GTI GLX 64.1 MPH to 58.8 MPH."

And Motor Trend in the 4/2002 issue had a top slalom speed of 63.0 for the SI and 65.6 for the GTI. In their What's Not(hot) category they cited "Rear-suspension woes" as one of the three items explaining further in the article that the new SLA rear suspension sans trailing arms was the culprit.

So why don't we call it a draw?
    No such contradicitions on the fact the GTI is crap to maintain.

http://www.hwysafety.org/news_releases/2002/pr120302.htm
    "There was excessive damage in the front-into-flat-barrier impact (more than $800 in repairs), and the Mini Cooper sustained about $1,500 damage in the angle-barrier test. "These are disappointing test results, but they're not surprising because the bumper systems on BMWs generally don't do a very good job of resisting damage in low-speed impacts," Lund also says."

Included frame damage according to the Dateline telecast.
    Why do you see the need telling us that we DO NOT need 17" rims. How many times do we have to tell you that we want them before you can get it into your head that we want 17" straight from the factory before you'll understand? We don't tell you your 15" is not good enough. We are just complaining (maybe Honda will listen) to whoever who wants to listen that we are not satisfied with the 15". If you are satisfied, just sit down and stop telling us we do not need 17".

What I'm saying is for the $19k MSRP, it should come standard w/ 17" as the competitors are giving. Maybe 16". Definitely not 15". Come on. Get real.

People who wants rims will always get new rims. For someone like me, and I'm sure there are more who share the same view as me, if the car already comes w/ 17" rims, then I do not need to spend $1600 getting the SSR GT1 rims you mentioned.
  • 8u6hfd8u6hfd Member Posts: 1,391
    here's a quick question, what offers more value to the consumer...

GTI with optional 17" rims and tires for about $450

or

GTI with the standard 16" rims and tires and then goes out and buys a set of 17" rims and tires? (or any other car for that matter)

I'm personally doing the latter because the stock 15" rims on the Golf will be dedicated for snows, and the 17" rims to be purchased later is for the spring/summer.

Though for the Golf/GTI a aftermarket 16" rim and tire combo is generally cheaper than the aftermarket 17" rim and tire combo.
    If my car comes w/ 17" rims, I won't be buying a new set of rims.

It it comes w/ summer times, I'll buy a set of 17" snow tires and swap the tires.

OR

I'll buy 15" steelies w/ snow tires. 17" snows or 15" steelies w/ snows cost about the same ($500).

If it came w/ 16" rims, I'll be using the set of Michelin Pilot Alpins I've lying around from my now sold A4.

But in all seriousness, no matter if it comes with 15, 16 or 17, there will be people who will still change the tires and rims. You brought up snow tires. What about people who live in moderate snow areas or no snow at all? If I can pay $500 to upgrade to 17" from 15", I would have done it and be happy with what 17" Honda is giving me.

I bought my 01 A4 in 2000. I upgraded to the sports package getting 16" rims with summer tires. I was planning on buying new rims, new tires etc. but in the end, I did not want to spend the money. I ended up buying snow tires and swapping them out every season.

So, it all depends on the individual. If you are happy with the 15" rims, that's ok. If you want to use that as your winter tires, that's fine to.

What we are saying is, Honda should have at least provide us with an option to upgrade to 17". For another $500 or so, it's much cheaper than to buy a whole new set. How much can you get for OEM 15" anyway? You can argue I can use the 15" for snow tires. I could but there are others who do not need snow tires. So, Honda is kinda in a loose loose situation since the Si is not comparable to a sporty entry level sedan where summer tires are a given these days. The best bet for them would be to offer 17" as options if they do not want to include them as stock. That way I can upgrade for a mere $500 rather than shelling out over $1500.

Or better yet. I upgrade to 17" for say $500 from Honda and I'll buy a set of OEM 15" from someone who upgraded from 15" to aftermarket wheels. OEM takeoffs shouldn't cost me more than $400 coz' who wants OEM 15" anyway?? Honda might charge $250 or so new for them but who would pay more than a $100 each.
  • 8u6hfd8u6hfd Member Posts: 1,391
    VW and many of the European makes gives us that option. Though this is incur extra cost to the manufacturer.

Honda's scheme of things is offer the model-lines, and essentially no options (okay, I've seen Accord EX-L, EX trim with leather...previously), only dealer install accessories. This reduces the cost to the manufacturer, and to the consumer.
  • nwngnwng Member Posts: 663
    If a car comes with say, 15" factory rims, I assume it's suspension is set up for the 15". If I put on 17" rims (and much wider tires of course)without doing anything else, will that affect my car's handling, steering, braking... I always wonder about factory options which you can up-size your rims and tires, do they just slap on the rims or they have to come in as a sport package with different shocks, staby bars, brakes...etc.
    Here are some interesting statistics from the Insurance Institutes bumper basher tests (bet we don't see these mentioned in your posts)

Average damage to a HONDA Civic (4 tests) $427

Average damage to a VW Golf/Jetta (4 tests) $277

Average damage to a VW New Beetle (4 tests) $52

The New Beetle is built on the same platform as the Golf/ Jetta buy the way - that's not a typo - $52

Plus the Honda Civic just made the most stolen list for the umteenth time - that's quite an accomplishment as well - congratulations - what are your insurance rates like?

Although I'm sure the new SI will cure the theft issue in future years - since the Honda dealers have to give them away -
    I know - maybe the Honda dealers should just leave the keys in the SI's at night with a big STEAL ME sign on the windshield - LOL - Naw, I doubt that would work to deplete their inventories of moldy 02 SI's
    New SI's have an immobilizer. Harder to steal. They won't start without the special key. So yes they did cure the theft issue in the SI.

The New Beetle has the worst quality reputation than any other recent VW and that's saying something. So getting it up to speed to bump anything would be an accomplishment.

The car handles equal to or better than cars that come equipped with 17's. So they are not necessary for the intended purpose of the car. Honda put that money in other areas of the car. If you want 17's you can go out and buy them. Just as if you want lowering springs, a Turbo, new exhaust, tint, Recaro seat, a 500 watt sub or whatever. But the basic car works just fine out of the factory.
  • moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    quote-Honda put that money in other areas of the car.-end Where? Not the radio. (It is below average) Not the wheels (The 15" wheels on the Sia are the same ones that are standard on a UK diesel and every other UK Civic) Not on a full size spare tire (The GTI has this, not the Civic)
    Not on floor mats (optional on Si, standard on GTI). Not on side airbags (standard on GTI, optional on Si) Not on curtain airbags.(standard on GTI, not available on Si) Not on a telescoping steering column (standard on GTI, not available on Si) Not on heated seats. Not on heated mirrors. Not on HP.(Si has 20 HP less than GTI)

Where 0 where was this extra money spent? Not on reliability in my experience. Si has as many problems as my VW's ever did. Now my radio is intermittently refusing to work on my Si and the wheel shimmy and shake is getting worse. Off to the Honda repair shop I go tomorrow.
    I guess we can just count all SI's out for yours. Yup that would be logical. But we've had 2 of them. One ran like glass and the other one is running like glass. Needless to say my 2000 is bulletproof and no one has stolen it yet.

Most of us other SI owners will see where the money was spent in not having the problems Mopar is. And at 100,000 miles we will still have an essentially new car that will be just coming up on its first tuneup.

And in addition to to everything else we got with our SI we got the coolest thing of all when it comes to this room. We get to talk about the GTI which has a 1980 era suspension design, reliablity like a broken glass, poor economy, and a sucky gearbox. Thank you Honda.

On a different note, I saw the coolest GTI last night. It was black, had the Neuspeed suspension, HIDS, 18's, tint, exhaust. SWEET!!!
    I know where the Honda money went to. Right into the deep pockets of gee35coupe and anony.

On a different note, I saw the coolest GTI last night. It was black, had the Neuspeed suspension, HIDS, 18's, tint, exhaust. SWEET!!!

gee35coupe - But you forgot to throw in your usual VW remark: "But it's a VW. Gonna be problem plague and reliability down the pits. Not going to stand up to 50,000 miles when my Si will still be running lke a sewing machine. Smoooooth as glass"
    Nope that was one NICE VW. I'd buy that one if it was cheap enough. It really was nice.
    Sounds like a Golf GTI to me. Because by the time an SI is cheap enough to be called cheap, a GTI is junkyard bait. But wait. Who wants to be stranded in the cold in the winter anyway. Yeah I guess I'd buy an SI too.

No matter how nice or dressed up the GTI, it'll still end up in the junkyard or fall apart as time pass. Maybe not past 50k warranty I suspect. And while it's new, aren't you afraid to be left stranded in the cold wintery months w/ one nice lowered black 18" HID fart pipe of a car you call the GTI??

And it can't be more expensive that your factory ordered 5 speed Accord? But wait, a Honda is worth the extra money coz' all the money goes into making sure the car will last 1,000,000 miles while the VW product will fail even before it leaves the showroom.

On a side note, if I were you, I'll wait for a 6 speed Accord EX Coupe though I'm sure the dealers will rape you if you get that the minute it hits the street. But I'm sure you or anony has a way to convince them that it is not worth $26k. Maybe $22k :) coz' you know the Si wasn't worth $19k despite Honda pricing them as such.

I'm confused.
    Pick your side and stick with it. But wait what am I saying? Am I switching too? Anyway. The GTI was nice. Giving props where it was due.

We bought a 4 cyl EX-L just for that reason. We leased it though and hopefully when the lease is up the 6 speeds will be more reasonable.
    http://www.sportcompactcarweb.com/features/0301scc_under20gs/ Sport Compact Car did an 8 car comparision and the Si finished 8 out of 8. Honda surely is not paying off SCC. GTI finished 7 out of 8, but still ahead of Si.
    GTI .85g Si .83g VW's design produces better performance. 1/4 mile the GTI is 15.5 seconds and Si is 16.2 seconds. Again GTI performs better.
    The GTI was just above the SI. And the GTI had the 17's on it. Ooops.

I mean really with the GTI at 7 out of 8 is there much bragging rights there?
  • mariner7mariner7 Member Posts: 509
    Civics, Accords and Camrys always make the most stolen list, because they're the 3 most popular cars on the road. Really, putting out those lists doesnt mean anything, its just plain silly.

What affects your insurance rate is theft rate, or whats the probability of it being stolen. Corvette & 911 dont make it to the top the most stolen list, but their theft rate is much much higher than the Civic.

The theft rate list is informative, so why dont people use it instead of that silly list? Well, its much harder to compile. You not only have to know how many thefts of a car model, you also have to estimate how many cars are on the road that year. But its doable, I bet some insurance institute have that kind of statistics.
    2001 GTI and 2001 Civic JD Power Initial Quality
    Number of problems per 100 vehicles.

Coming in below the industry average at 178 problems is the Civic. Average is 147.

The GTI is 205 problems. Worse than Civic.

So if you purchased a GTI you could expect .27 problems per vehicle more than Si.

Big difference?

quote gee35 -The New Beetle has the worst quality reputation than any other recent VW and that's saying something.-end The New Beetle had BETTER quality than the Civic at 153 problems per 100 vehicles.

Even though gee35coupe and others state that reliability of the GTI is terrible compared to Honda the facts don't support this statement. GTI does have overall lower reliability than Honda cars. The difference is not significant in my opinion.
    Seriously if you analyze it, the Si is tops.

Here's the logic anony and gee35 will employ:

1. Dodge SRT-4 aka Neon
    2. Mazda MazdaSpeedProtege
    3. Focus SVT
    4. Mini Cooper S
    5. Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec-V
    6. Hyundai Tiburon V6
    7. VW GTI 1.8T
    8. Honda Si

Right off the bad, Dodge and Ford will be eliminated. Reason being it is a Neon no matter how fast and how many recalls now for the Focus comes into mind. So, from the 8 we have 6 left. The Si moved up to notches to number 6 though still 6 out of 6.

Next the Tiburon and VW will be eliminated since they have questionable past and therefore questionable reliability in the future. Woohoo... Si now up another 2 notches. Number 4 though still 4 out of 4.

Let's see, we have MS Protege, Cooper S, Sentra Spec-V and Si.

Really now the race is bet. 2 4-door sedan and 2 3-door hatchback.

Essentially MS Protege vs. Sentra Spec-V
    and bet. Cooper S and Si. Hm... I wonder what excuse anony and gee35 will give in order to bump up the Si?? Maybe the Cooper S MSRP of over $20k vs. the $19k for the Si? Oh silly me, the $25k of the Cooper S due to greedy salespeople vs. $15k of the Si?? Could it be the realibility of the Cooper S since it is built by BMW? Honda is known to be bulletproof in the past. So, the Si must be bulletproof too. Capable of driving past 1,000,000 miles. Or could it be the 15" rims on the Si with AS tires that they both love so much compared to the dangerous 17" shod w/ summer tires that will be threacerous to winter driving excuse they'll use to move the Si up a notch to the winner's podium. Maybe it is the good gas mileage of the Si and not needing premium wins it. Hmm... I wonder...

I know. It is the big H right in front of the Si. H means good quality, good resale, good reliability, good everything. That's it. Honda Si takes it. It is the winner!!!!
    Quote g35- I mean really with the GTI at 7 out of 8 is there much bragging rights there?

GTI finishing 7 and Si finishing 8 is nothing to brag about. It is relevant to the discussion of GTI vs. Si and I will post negative as well as positive information to provide viepoints other than my own and also since I am not closed minded and fanatical about VW or Honda.
  • vadpvadp Member Posts: 1,025
    The Si has been completely outgunned.
    Not only is the new car less exciting to drive and far less easy to tune than the old one, but the competition has moved forward while Honda is backpedaling.
    The Si is so out of place in this group it placed last in every performance test but the slalom.

Gee35: Honda put that money in other areas of the car. What areas? The suede seats and fat steering wheel?

Best Feature:
    The big-bolstered suede seats and small, fat steering wheel scream "driver's car."

Worst Feature:
    Throw it into a bend and the Si flops over, the steering goes numb, and the tires squirm. The Si's behavior at the limit is very un-Honda.
    Again, you want to debate VW quality with Honda .. well here we go..

http://www.jdpower.com/auto/jdpa_ratings/FindJdAwardsResults.jsp

Look at the difference in ratings between a 98 Civic and a 98 GTI

VW also has below average customer service ...
    http://www.jdpa.com/studies/pressrelease.asp?StudyID=635&CatID=1 target=_blank>http://www.jdpa.com/studies/pressrelease.asp?StudyID=651&CatID=1

Wheel/tire size is no where on this list.

http://www.jdpa.com/studies/pressrelease.asp?StudyID=651&CatID=1

hamproof: You were actually doing pretty good with that list till you got to the Protege, Cooper, SI, and Spec-V ... here's my reasoning on why I chose the SI ..

1. Dodge Neon .. need I say more?

2. MazdaSpeed Protege .. no sunroof, only 170HP with a turbo, $22,000 (with the extra $5,000 I can easily put a good turbo AND some 17's on my SI

3. Focus SVT .. need I say more?

4. Mini Cooper .. too small, too cute, too expensive, and yes .. quality is an issue. Edmunds is already have build quality issues with it's long-term Mini

5. Spec-V .. rear axle, interior is subpar, 2.5L in this size car is overkill and too heavy

6. Tiburon .. need I say more?

7. GTI .. again, it goes back to quality and reputation. I just don't see it in the GTI. I like the looks, I like the drive, but I don't like the unknown.

8. The SI is all that's left. Since I don't take my car to the track I don't care about it's slalom speeds or 1/4 mile. I like the looks even if nobody else does, I love the interior, and it promises to be just as reliable as any other Honda I've owned. For the $16,000 I paid this car couldn't be beat.

How different is the quality anonymous? 2.0000001 problems per car is higher than 2.0, yet it is not a big difference.

FYI. A 1998 VW GTI was the MK3 platform not the current MKIV. Not relevant to the current GTI.

The 98 Civic is also a generation back. But it goes to show long-term reliability not just initial quality.
    Check the long term. Initial quality is only first 90 day. You buy cars every 90 days? After that the VW is crapped. Heck there are complaints of VW's being in the shop for 90 days.

Half of VW's lineup is on the CR "used cars to avoid" list.
    But the fact is that all of the cars being sold in NA today have vastly improved quality compared to 20 or even 10 years ago.

CR has had to drop several categories from its reliability tables in the last decade or two because the newer cars simply didn't fail in those areas anymore.

If I bought a Hyundai, Mitsubishi, or VW tomorrow and took good care(regularly changing the oil, not abusing it, etc.) of it I have no doubt that they each wouldn't last 9-12 years at 12,000 miles a year which is all the I expect out of a car anyway.

I don't go harping about all Hondas lacking in the torque department incessently, do I?

And no I am not very impressed with Honda's powerplants like the S2000s that have a measly 153 lbs. or torque.

DO YOU CALL 153 lbs. of torque a real sports car?

And then you have to put up with its incessent engine racket all day while flogging the life out of the motor to get it into its stratosphereic power band. If you don't believe me ask C&D.

A VW TDI has 155 lbs of torque and it gets 700 miles to a tank of gas!

Anyway I see your attributes for a hot hatch are:

1.) reliability
    2.) reliability
    3.) erognomics/utility
    4.) performance

Or at least that's the impression I'm getting.....
This discussion has been closed.