Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

10 Steps to Leasing a New Car

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited April 2017 in Editorial
image10 Steps to Leasing a New Car

Everything you need to know to make a great deal when you're leasing a new car.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    caskeezcaskeez Member Posts: 2
    Is it possible to learn what residual values are before buy ing a lease returned car?
  • Options
    philip17philip17 Member Posts: 25
    You can call the dealer and ask for the residual value. Or you can search different lease calculators on the internet to get the residual value. There are several sites that list residual values.

When you lease a car, the residual value is listed in the contract and you have the right to buy the car at that amount at the end of the lease. Sometimes, a lease company will lower that price so they don't have to take the car back and sell it at auction.

I'm wondering why you want to know the residual value of a lease return. Is it so you can make a low offer to buy the car?

Philip Reed, Edmunds.com Senior Consumer Advice Editor

• Options
    meegwellmeegwell Member Posts: 67
    Great job. Thank you for this comprehensive report. I plan to use every bit of it.
  • Options
    tina1123tina1123 Member Posts: 1
    My mom wants to lease a new veichle. She also talked with dealership about trading in her older Lincoln towards lease. They still offered her the same as if she didnt trade in, from what Ive reasearched. And she doesnt plan on keeping the lease when term is up. Is it just me that thinks this is the dumbest thing to do and the dealership is willing going to screw her?
  • Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,289
    tina1123 said:

My mom wants to lease a new veichle. She also talked with dealership about trading in her older Lincoln towards lease. They still offered her the same as if she didnt trade in, from what Ive reasearched. And she doesnt plan on keeping the lease when term is up. Is it just me that thinks this is the dumbest thing to do and the dealership is willing going to screw her?

You can certainly use trade equity to offset some of the up front costs of leasing - acquisition fee, first payment, tags / license, taxes, etc. - but we don't recommend using the equity to make a "down payment" and reduce the monthly payment.

If the car is stolen or totaled during the lease, you are out that money.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options
    vstarwavstarwa Member Posts: 1
    Is it likely to negotiate a selling price of the vehicle to factor lease payments or is it always based off of MSRP (minus any dealer incentives)? when I go into a dealer, one of the first things they ask is if i'm looking to finance or lease a car. I feel that if I say lease, I lose any bargaining leverage.
  • Options
    lexusguy23lexusguy23 Member Posts: 80
    Michaell - Are there certain makes/models that consistently have the highest residual values? I currently have a Lexus but looking to shop around to other manufacturers. Thanks.
  • Options
    vstarwa said:

Is it likely to negotiate a selling price of the vehicle to factor lease payments or is it always based off of MSRP (minus any dealer incentives)? when I go into a dealer, one of the first things they ask is if i'm looking to finance or lease a car. I feel that if I say lease, I lose any bargaining leverage.

You want to negotiate the price of a car, regardless of whether you are buying or leasing. A lower selling price will result in a lower lease payment.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

• Options

Michaell - Are there certain makes/models that consistently have the highest residual values? I currently have a Lexus but looking to shop around to other manufacturers. Thanks.

BMW tends to artificially inflate their residual values to maintain a reasonable lease payment.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator