Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Mazda RX-8

Comments

• Options
    lhesslhess Member Posts: 379
    they are stuck in that "we're young, good-looking, making some money and spendin' a hell of a lot more than we're making to look even better" mode. lo and behold, the denali came with a thick payment book and a big gas tank that's always thirsty!! oh well, live and learn, right?

Speaking of gas tanks, i'm only on my second tank with the 8 (they screwed up the first one by not resetting the ode at fill-up), but looks like i'm gonna get about 14 or 15 mpg's. I'm rather pleased with that considering we've all been rather heavy-footed with it!! it's a great car and EVERYONE looks at it. course, it is YELLOW!!
  • Options
    graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    I've seen that way too many times.....gotta look good no matter what it costs (until there's a cut back in their employment...new "addition" to the family arrives....gee, nobody will give me what my car/truck is worth--in other words, owing more than the trade-in value.....or, why can't I get a loan for that house?).

But, you're absolutely right....live and learn.

15 MPG isn't bad considering your car isn't broken in yet. It will get better once you hit between 5K-10K miles on it (at least it did on mine). Of course, you have to give up some fuel economy since it's yellow, too.

Enjoy!
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • Options
    mba2dnamba2dna Member Posts: 8
    Just ordered a new 8 6-speed in titanium yesterday. Costed me USD57000 including tax and all kind of registrations. With this price, they don't even include the high-end stereo (Bose @ 300W + 9 speakers). I told the shop whether it would order the high end stereo from Japan and do the installation locally.
  • Options
    cheezeboycheezeboy Member Posts: 218
    ok...ok....see, I am leaving on this slightly insane 5000+ mile road trip.....in the morning it starts....vacation-land here I come!.....

However, my pal, we will call him 'Vette Guy', believes that, and I quote, "There is no way that RX8 will do that kind of mileage at once"....followed by, "My vette could do it, but those rotary engines can't handle that kind of stuff"...?.........so now it's personal..I am gonna go do this trip and when I get back, jam all the gas slips down his throat!......wish me luck! (he's 6'3" 220lb!!)...........lol........

hopefully I will see as many of you fine folks out there on the roads!...I will give ya all a nod when I see your 8's out there........zoom zoom!!...
  • Options
    alexf1alexf1 Member Posts: 3
    thinking about buying the rx8, was just wondering what,s it like in the snow,living here in niagara falls , canada get 3 months of the white stuff, also i want standard the wife wants auto any pro/cons for either. thanks
  • Options
    mazda04rx8mazda04rx8 Member Posts: 37
    You should be fine for the rest of this year's snow season, but you need snow tires to go anywhere. I recommend a second set of inexpensive wheels and snows for easy switch off for the winter. Be aware that all rims are not compatible with the tire pressure sensor so that you may have to put up with a blinking light while you have your snow tires on. I am a manual transmission fanatic, and my car is great in the snow here in NH. I think the Auto will be okay in the snow too since the torque on acceleration is rather low.

Good luck with your choice.
  • Options
    mugster1mugster1 Member Posts: 34
    Firstly, you wont be disappointed in the 8. Secondly, as a southern Ontario resident as well, i spent the money and got winter tires from Mazda (Blizzaks with nice aluminum rims 1400 all in), well worth it. I can say before the 8 i ran a 2000 accord, and with the snow tires on, felt more stable in the mazda then the Honda. I :mad: f your wife can drive a stick i would go with the manual, certainly a lot more fun in my opinion. Did i mention the fun factor.
  • Options
    nojetsnojets Member Posts: 31
    It needs Premium gas

I dunno what the front rotary accent is for, except to perhaps to match the rear one which, for the British market at least, houses the center brake light. In the US, the regulations require the third tail light to be moved up to the trunk lid, so they just do an "option" of a rotary accent to make the triangular molding in the rear bumper look like it has a purpose...
  • Options
    awyrwasawyrwas Member Posts: 4
    Forget it! I get roughly 10 - 11 mpg all city driving and if you live in the Northeast area when it snows the car HAS ABSOLUTELY NO TRACTION control. Think about that before your purchase it. My car spun out of control with a light dusting of snow. Their traction control is a joke! Has anyone else experienced this problem. I've contacted Washington DC regarding the matter. I have that address if anyone else has the same concerns.
  • Options
    rorrrorr Member Posts: 3,630
    Can I assume your car still had the original equipment rubber on it?

Traction control cannot overcome the laws of physics. Some of our Canadian participants (who may know a bit about snow) seem to think the car is just fine WITH THE PROPER TIRES.
  • Options
    Yeah...your RX8 has high performance dry weather tires from the factory. You want some winter tires for the snowy stuff. All the trac/stability control in the world will save your fanny from diving into the weeds with performance tires made for warmer weather when they hit the slick stuff.

As rorr said, the laws of physics don't take a vacation just because you're driving a nice sports car.
  • Options
    ukjimukjim Member Posts: 63
    Hi All:
    New to the forum and have spent a bunch of time reading thru back messages. Just purchased '04 6speed with 6K miles. I LOVE the car, despite poor gas mileage, but well worth it for the "stuck to the road" performance.

A coupe of things:
    I too have a question about traction and stability control, while I agree that all the electronic wizardry in the world will not overcome the laws of physics, I am wondering about the threshold settings of these functions on this car.

I live in RI, the snow has melted leaving behind a sahara desert of sand on the roads.
    I continually get wheel spin on take off, and traction control doesn't even attempt to help out, at least I should get a "chattering" as it tries to gain traction. Any comments? ( I know, dont take off so fast but what fun is that ??)

Also, I notice from past postings that the knowledge of dealers has a lot to do with the successful maintenance of this car. Can anyone recommend a good shop in the RI, S MA area?

Thanks
    Vince
  • Options
    my car had 800 miles on it from the dealer (owner of dealership likes yellow). i just hit a little over 1200 miles and finished my third tank of gas - this last tank, i got close to 19 mpg. of 230 miles, not quite half were highway, the rest here in town. I'm very impressed with those numbers. I drove it pretty normal for me, not full-throttle, burnin' rubber, but fairly quick take-offs (hittin' it pretty hard in 3rd and 4th - love those 2 gears!!). The first tank was comps of the dealer and the trip ode wasn't reset. Second tank, took me a few miles to find the ode reset button, but still got 15 or 16 with all in-town driving. I don't think gas mileage is gonna be a big issue on mine and the way i drive it.

ukjim - we have a lot of cinders left on our WV roads from winter and I know they will make anything spin, but even light take-offs in the 8 has me spinning. kinda embarrassing when you're trying to ease off and NOT spin.

Someone posted earlier (much earlier) about a popping noise when the car first moved. Someone else suggested the brakes were the culprit. Mine has done this twice and both times were after a car wash. Washed the car and moved it to it's parking space for the night, next morning start backing out and POP!

awyrwar - as for winter, i got mine just 3 wks ago and our snow is pretty much over. i hope to have something else to drive by wintertime, but if i don't, i wouldn't even give it a try without a set of winter tires. And, let's face it, the car was not built to climb mountains in a blizzard, be reasonable. Want good winter traction? Get a Jeep!
  • Options
    ukjimukjim Member Posts: 63
    I am still wondering about this issue.

I have had TC on a few cars and am familar with the sound and feel of the event. Usually the Traction Control would "chatter" until traction was gained. It is sensing wheel spin, applying the brakes accordingly. Does the Mazda do the same, apply brakes until spin has stopped?

This is not a huge deal unless the system is not working properly in which case I need to take it in.

How obvious is the operation of the TC on the 8?

Thanks
  • Options
    lhess....that "thunk" you're hearing upon first taking off after starting the car is normal. That's just the ABS calibrating itself.

Trac control will use brakes and computer engine moitoring to attempt to regain traction. These also kick in with stability control if "yaw" is considered to be out of normal range.

While you have a trac control button you can turn off and on, trac control is never entirely disabled on the RX8.
  • Options
    mugster1mugster1 Member Posts: 34
    Does anyone have a bang/ backfire when you start up your car. Only last a couple of revs then its fine.
  • Options
    Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Features/articleId=104906

kirstie_h
    Roving Host
    Host, Future Vehicles & Smart Shopper discussions

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Options
    While this isn't meant as any sort of flame, I can't understand how snowy streets can be blamed for any sports car, with summer tires, is at fault for not negotiating them well.

RWD, FWD, traction control, no traction control is going to make a bit of difference if.....

#1--you aren't experienced in driving in snowy/slick conditions
    #2--with tires that are designed for all out performance (not all weather use)

If you put something like a good set of tires that are made specifically for winter use, you should have little problem in driving the RX8 in winter conditions. Understand, any all weather or winter tires put on an RX8 will decrease it's incredible dry weather handling capabilities, though.
  • Options
    sportymonksportymonk Member Posts: 258
    Pretty good link to explain rotary engines to your friends. Reference Dr. Wankel. Also mentions Mazda prominently.

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/rotary-engine.htm
    :)
  • Options
    the_big_hthe_big_h Member Posts: 1,583
    just want to drop by to say hi. with 6700 miles on the odometer, my 8 has been nothing short of *perfect*, getting 18-19mpg in constant stop-n-go traffic, i think i broke 20mpg on my first long road trip in the 8 a few weeks ago. Now that the engine is starting to loosen up, it's as if it's spinning stronger and stronger! :-D

hope all is well with the 8s!
  • Options
    do you have a manual or auto?

glad to hear someone else is actually getting good mileage and happy with the car. I was beginning to think i was the only one who liked the car. I'm getting more than reasonable mpg with only a little over 1500 miles on it!!
  • Options
    manual i have....

i think there are *many* happy 8 owners such as myself out there, they're just too busy enjoying the car on the road to post (such as yours truly ;-) )
  • Options
    audia8qaudia8q Member Posts: 3,138
    well the weather is beautiful today and its going to be nicer tomorrow....I think I'll take a Shinka RX-8 home this weekend. if you see a Black Cherry 8 zooming around Connecticut it's me....
  • Options
    zee2000rx8zee2000rx8 Member Posts: 15
    Just Bought 2005 Rx-8. When listening to the TV commentator they telling to wait 1 minute before stopping the engine. Dealer never told me that. Does everybody wait that 1 minute?
  • Options
    audia8q....that Black Cherry is my favorite 8 color. I like how Mazda extended the piano black finish on the dash area, too.

Love to hear how the suspension tweaks of the Shinka has improved the drive, too.
  • Options
    pathstar1pathstar1 Member Posts: 1,015
    Excuse me, I'm still grouchy. I had to drive down to the coast (B.C. from Alberta) and due to so much late snow/ice I had to take the SUV and not the RX!

We've been playing with the OBDII reader for quite a while now, and realized the RX-8 uses a lot of gas while idling. In the range it uses cruising at 100 km/hr! So don't let it idle much and your fuel mileage may improve! Drive it while warming it up, just be a little gentler.

As for the problems one owner here reports about poor traction control operation, we haven't seen that. There may be a problem with your unit. We find it kicks in and frustrates us more than not functioning fast enough! We do use proper winter tires (Nokian WR). Note that if you get the car moving traction control can not stop a slide if you start one. It can just make it harder to start a slide. The stock tires are pretty much useless on snow and ice, and even cold pavement. They are excellant on wet or dry above freezing roads (that's why they are called "summer performance tires").

Note that there is now an "N" flash. I'm told it fixes a few "bugs" in the PCM software, and doesn't change the fuel use.

For those pondering whether to buy an auto or manual (due to wife for example), realize this manual is just about one of the easiest to drive that I have ever used. Let the auto lobbiest take the manual car for a test drive. Try to convince the sales staff that if they are present he/she will be nervous and probably will have a bad experience - ie no sale!
    While some like the auto equipped car, auto and sports sedan are kind of at odds. You really want the high power engine and the 6 speed manual - for the extra fun factor. You can choose from three or four gears at most city speeds so shifting is optional ;-) .
  • Options
    I have a late 2004, I guess (hit my dealer's lot in September). How do you know about N flash and all that and if your car has been updated or whatever?

Good advice on the idling. I think we're all warming the heck out of them to keep them running properly and that could really be adding to MPG woes. Although i'm getting 16 in town and better than 19 highway - I'm pleased, but I'll take more if i can get it.

I'm a female and wouldn't even look at the auto in this car. Thanks, dad, for teaching your 15 yr old daughter to drive a stick!!
  • Options
    audia8qaudia8q Member Posts: 3,138
    The best way to describe the Shinka is to say its just like the regular RX-8 with a little bit more refinement to the overall ride and drive. Nothing major but you notice the tweeking.
  • Options
    You might find a sticker under the hood to indicate the unit has been flashed to a particular level. If not, the dealer can determine which one you have. It should be a "warranty issue" (no charge).

We have been discussing the Shinka with Japanese friends. It's kind of funny, but the closest translation of the name that I understand is "showy, in a trashy kind of way". Maybe like Dolly Pardon? Perhaps in Japanese polite society it's a reference to the anti-societal riceing up it gets?

We like it. Maybe we eat too much far eastern food ;-) .
  • Options
    SylviaSylvia Member Posts: 1,636
    Let's stay on topic - thanks!
  • Options
    To all that remember - :)

5785 miles, 17 states, 20 days!

The car drove great...wait...what am I saying?!?...She drove like a dream!!!!! Whooohooo!!

I am too tired to type more....but I will say I was getting 320 miles to the tank....I will go over the exact numbers when I wake up!....

oh....on all these miles, I only saw 4 other RX8's......hmmmmm

:shades:
  • Options
    wpavlik2wpavlik2 Member Posts: 32
    Wow!
    That sounds like a fantastic trip!

I was in SoCal last December and even in L.A. I didn't see ANY 8s!
    I was wanting to point one out to tell my sister that "hey, that's my car!"
  • Options
    Welcome back....can't wait to hear your report.
  • Options
    freddycatfreddycat Member Posts: 2
    First, thank you for all the great info posted. It was a great help in a visit to the dealer yesterday.
    Owned two RX-7's in the good old days. But now I have a long distance (but high speed) commute of 100 miles/day. Have a 2000 Accord which has been practical but so boring for 30K miles/yr. Ready for a new car - would love an 8 (there are 3 gorgeous Shinkas in local dealers - although they are not budget much on the sticker).
    Other than the oil - and slightly negative fuel efficiency - what else should a "road warrior" know before taking the plunge?
  • Options
    As you may have noticed with your RX-7s, long distance trips are where the rotary excells. "So much fun, for so long a time!"

Before buying an RX-8, you have to convince yourself it is what you want. Will you be happy with lower mileage (although you shouldn't be too bad off if your long distance commute is not in town - city driving sucks gas with this car)? Or will you be happier "down the road" with a hybrid? Just remember, gas is still going up in price. Expect well over a dollar a litre within the next year. I suppose that will translate to $2.50 US a gallon soon.
  • Options
    I don't commute as far as you do (*only* 65 miles roundtrip everyday), but I usually end up using about TWO AND A HALF HOUR (sometimes 3 hours or more on really bad days) everyday to slug through those 65 miles. I have to say, the comfort and amenity of the 8 is the ONLY reason that I DON'T go into road rage everyday... god I hate DC traffic... hate it SO MUCH
  • Options
    freddycatfreddycat Member Posts: 2
    Thank you pathstar1-Gas here is already over $2.60/gal. The problems I have with hybrids is their size and resale (all will be high mileage-as would be those interested in buying them). Although 8 resale has yet to be determined as well I suppose. The Accord hybrid is pricey,even with the tax break given this year it would cost roughly the same as a Shinka. How's that for rationalization? And the Accord hybrid's mileage isn't that much better than the standard Accord. But enough about Honda. The only way that i can justify the 8 is if its service costs will be less and of course the intangible fun factor.

Am I hallucinating that the 8 will require much less service? Reviewed the Service Manual at the dealer, and it seemed that way, but haven't heard anyone bragging about how maintenance free it is. I remember my 7's being incredibly reliable. Is it true for the 8?
  • Options
    iforgotitiforgotit Member Posts: 11
    I'm considering the purchase of a 2005 RX-8 for my spouse. I am concerned that her driving routine is not favourable to the RX-8. She'll mainly be using it for short trips within the city. Part of her daily driving routine is to take the kids to/from school on days where walking to school is hampered by the weather, such as cold temperatures, rain etc. It's literally a 5 minute drive to the school where she turns off the engine, waits 5-10 minutes, then restarts the engine and 5 minutes to home. Aside from poor mileage, will this driving routine make the RX-8 more susceptible to the flooding problem (or any other issues related to the rotary engine) or has the newer ECU flash rectified this issue once and for all?

Btw, I will give the 8 a spirited run from time to time :D

Thanks all!
  • Options
    I'm in montreal just bought 2005 8 and I have only 800 km but for what I can read for her routine and what I read on the internet flooding will be a issue. And since your in Canada it will be worst I think in winter. I hope somebody will tell you the contrary. 5 minutes will not be enough to get the motor in temp to shut it down and restart it and dealer will never told you that if you buy one.
  • Options
    mazda04rx8mazda04rx8 Member Posts: 37
    I am in New Hampshire. Keep my car outside, It takes about 5 miles of driving below 4k on the tach to warm up. If the drive is at least 5 miles I think you will be okay if less I would be concerned. I have only had one time when the car would not start, and that was when I had not started it for 10 days due to a vacation.

Good Luck with the RX if that is what you decide to do.
  • Options
    50/50 on buying the rx8 reading alot of mixed reviews, what do you feel was it a good or bad choice for yourself????
  • Options
    For now everything is good but the flooding issue is still on my mind.
    Ask me the question in 1 year after the winter go thru in Montreal.

If you have time to be careful with the motor, check oil $$$ for the gaz. It's a great choice.
  • Options
    The site I mentioned is NOT a forum. You register your VIN and you can pop around and look at things like maintenance schedules, you can get a credit card and earn points, they will send you recall info, get info on other cars.... It is no different than going to any manufacturers web site and playing around to see what's there. IT IS NOT A FORUM. There is no one there to communicate with.

Anyway, I have to repost my question about oil changes. Mazda suggests oil changes at 5K or 7500 miles. I've always done mine at 3K and was wondering what you fellow 8 owners are doing in regard to that. I put very few miles on my car in a year's time and even at 3K, it's sometimes 5 or 6 months between oil changes. Thanks!!
  • Options
    after reading a bunch of these postings, I have to say again: My RX8 is the best damn car I've owned and driven......I just drove 5700 miles in 20 days....lots of start and stop...lots of 15 hours straight (minus the gas fills and eats!).......and maybe I got a 'peach' and not a 'lemon' - just that this car rocks!......yes, gas mileage is not the greatest (avg 22 mpg on the trip)....but that's what the sticker said and I still bought it......why?...because she is a damn good car!!.......I had/have no misconceptions of what I can and can't do with the car..No, I will not be going to Home Depot to get sheets of plywood....nor will I be transporting kids to a soccer game.......I bought the car to drive....period.....and this car does that the best!........IMHO........maybe I am just crazy....ok..wait....don't you all answer "yes" so fast!!...... :shades:

lhess - I've been doing the service at the 5k for the 30k I've driven, but, as you can read, I drive alot!........I think pathstar or the other mechanic-types here will advise you better based on your driving pattern........6 months for 3k miles seems like a long time between changes....to me at least.....

BTW, has anybody here tried the Meguairs towels? Are they good?.....
  • Options
    AND the positive post on the car. I love mine as well and I feel exactly as you do. I knew that by most standards, the mpg sucked, I wasn't buying it for that. And, just like you, if I had a bunch of kids to haul around, I wouldn't even have looked at it. We have some hairy winter moments here in the mountains of WV and I'm debating now on expending the $$$ for winter tires or buying a cheap, front-wheel or 4-wheel drive for the winter months (I did that before with a Tracker and ended up selling it for more than I paid for it).

I can understand the gripes of the ones who are having true mechanical problems and their dealers don't work well with them, but the gripers who just don't like sports car features in a sports car shoulda bought a nerd car.
  • Options
    I change my RX oil every 6 months - the RX-7 because it gets changed when I hibernate it for the winter - and no, it doesn't reach 6000 km by then - i.e. I don't get to drive it as much as I'd like :-( . I change it so it hibernates with clean fresh oil in the engine. The RX-8 gets oil every 6 months because I do my own changes and my garage isn't heated - so I'm not changing oil when it's -20 in there! Also, no, it doesn't always reach 6000 km by then, but changing it more often isn't bad, it's good (except for the environmentalists).

We bought Nokian WR winter tires and AR aluminum wheels - and we got them in the 17" size - same width and aspect ratio as the stock tires, just one inch smaller in diameter, to allow more room in the wheel wells for ice buildup. They work just fine all winter and seem to be a perfect match for the DSC and antilock systems. The tires are not inexpensive but they work very well, the wheels are not expensive and look great. If you do this your tire pressure monitor light will be on all winter - just ignore it. We don't get that in Canada so we don't see a light.

We are in Edmonton Alberta, and if they work here, they will "do Winter" anywhere! ;-)
    Yes, it has been snowing for the last two days, sigh. Once again our snow has been "refurbished" after all melting away.
  • Options
    I HATE winter anymore. I'll definitely be a southerner when I retire (if not sooner). We had snow about a week ago, but ours melts really fast this time of year. We're just getting cold, drizzly rain now.

Thanks for the info on the snow tires. I'm debating on buying the winter junker because our dept of highways salts and cinders the crap out of the roads here. It is so hard on paint and makes me sick to put any car out there. My friend is selling a jeep that looks like it's made a couple of trips to the underworld and back but it runs and he only wants 2K. I don't care what it looks like if I can keep Rex out of the winter elements. Still debating.
  • Options
    do you guys have problems with flooding? thinking about buying the rx but i,m reading that if you drive some where 1 minute away , that the engine wont re-start floods or won,t warm up enough i do alot of highway driving ,but also a lot of quick stops to certain clients in town. is this car really worth it. (deep down i hope so it is a beautiful car)
  • Options
    Sorry to tell you that but yes flooding will be a issue with the routine you have.
    Probably the pure rotary fan will tell you to go for it. If this is your first rotary engine I will think twice to buy a 8
  • Options
    I know winter is gone but since some of you drive on snow wondering what tire you put on your 8 for winter. I'm thinking putting very small wheel like
    215/65/15 tire diameter will be .3% different