Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda RX-8

Comments

• wpavlik2wpavlik2 Member Posts: 32
    I have to agree with you!
    I LOVE my 8! :shades:
    I just put quite a few miles on it in the past few weeks. All it does is get better!
    I got what I consider decent gas milage on the highway for this car. (23.75mpg)
    wahoo!
  • zee2000rx8zee2000rx8 Member Posts: 15
    23,75mpg... at what speed I'm doing 30km per day to get to the job and 20km are on the highway. I'm not able to get more then 18mpg. And I,m not driving like crazy each day
  • pathstar1pathstar1 Member Posts: 1,015
    I am pretty sure 15" will not fit over the brakes. We used 17" with stock width and aspect ratio with good results - Nokian WR tires, AR aluminum wheels.
    That was with tanks of mostly HIGHWAY driving. With mostly around town driving, I am only getting 18-19mpg.
    I'm very happy with that. Granted, around town, I am not high revving it (much).
  • mz6greyghostmz6greyghost Member Posts: 1,230
    Audia8q,

You may recognize me from the 6 forums. Anyway, I'm considering buying a summer toy, and the RX-8 is at the top of my list. Since you knew the changes for the 6 for '06, do you have any information on the changes for the RX-8? I'm sure the other members on this forum would love to know as well...

Thanks!
  • audia8qaudia8q Member Posts: 3,138
    The official details for the 2006 RX-8 have not been released..we are still ordering 2005 RX-8. Soon as I get the info I will pass it along.
  • zee2000rx8zee2000rx8 Member Posts: 15
    Any one have a way to trick that CD radio to install an external mp3 player. Right now I'm running with the FM transmitter sound is good but woundering is there anyway to have a direct sound.
  • the_big_hthe_big_h Member Posts: 1,583
    is to use a 1980's technology and install a tape deck for the head unit. I installed one and have been using it with my MP3 player, it works great.

a more 'trick' answer is to custom install an adapter that will provide RCA plugs for direct connection to the head unit.
  • mmadden1mmadden1 Member Posts: 17
    After reading the posts here, I decided to give the board an update on our experience with the car.
    It's got the leather interior with a 6spd; silver/ black. We continue to get a lot of looks with it.

gearbox
    comfort
    steering response
    throttle response
    Brakes

Dislikes:
    The flooding issue--done it once after M reflash
    suspension is strictly for the street--too soft for track
    Lack of head room with sunroof
    small gas tank
    bogus OEM tires

Gas mileage on trips has been OK, got 23-24 on the Pennsy turnpike going to MD at warp speeds. Oil usage has been a qt. per 2K

Bought a set of blizzaks on 17" rims for winter--was a good snow car.

IMHO, this would be a great track/auto-x car if the suspension had a mazda speed option and if there was more head room. With a helmet on and the seat as low as it will go, I had to sit half reclined to get my head of the roof. Next car, we will bring the helmet with us on the drive.

Overall, we like the car but the stalling issue should really be fixed. What other car do you know of won't restart if it's shut down prior to reaching operating temp?--none. A novice driver or someone that has the misfortune of stalling it pulling out of the garage could be in for a long day because of the stalling issue.
  • modockmodock Member Posts: 55
    Hey everyone,

I have a 3 and have been posting over there for a while off and on and was doing some dreaming yesterday. (Bought some power ball tickets)

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone has put some child car seats in their RX-8. I read on some review somewhere that it could be done but I wanted to know if anyone here had done it. I'm sure the front facing seats would not be a problem but what about a rear facing one.

Thanks for the info.

Corey
    I have a front facing one in my 8. EASY to install since it has the LATCH system. It's behind the passanger seat since I wanted to be able to see my son easier while I was driving. Since most of the rear facing seats have the base and removable seat, they shouldn't be bad espcially with the freestyle doors!
  • cheezeboycheezeboy Member Posts: 218
    ok.....just got back from having my 30K service...no problems except for the rotors, which are a bit warped.....I guess slamming the brakes for that owl in the middle of HWY 13 in New Mexico didn't do much good......spooky owl - no way was I gonna hit it!

anyway, I need tires.....and the service guy suggested Michelin Pilot Sports, PS2 I believe over the Potenzas.....anybody know anything about the Michelins?...yea/nay?...it's only a $23 saving with the Michelins, but I do need 4...it adds up.....

also, in the show room they had a Shinka....sitting there all pretty.....and it had the antenna for the sat radio. I asked where the receiver was and was told that the center console unit handles all of the audio...no need for a separate sat receiver unit....cool..except that to retrofit that unit into my 2004, the service guy said would cost "thousands"?!?!......so, my question is, to anyone who knows, is that possibly true?... thousands?.....I own a Sirius system and got the car mount, but it looks horrible, no way I am installing it in my car......was hopeing for a more 'elegant' solution...

other than that, car runs great. Love it.....she's my super model girlfriend!...LOL...!!
  • andrijaandrija Member Posts: 2
    Hi,

I like mazda rx8 very much, and i am buying 2004 model, 5000 miles, 230HP, within 7 days.

Few Questions :

1) I have heard that flooding isnt fixed on 2004 model, is that right ??
    If my car floods, what should i do to get it started ??
    When will the car flood ??

2) Is oil change more frequent on this car ??
    After how much miles should i change oil ??
    Which oil is Best ?
    Should i check for oil every 500 miles ? do i need to fill a litle oli every 500 miles ??

3) any other issues ??

Thanx Very much for answers in front.
    All the best.
    Andrija.
  • lhesslhess Member Posts: 379
    I'm sure I don't have all your answers, but I'll give you some insight on my experiences with my car.

1> I have a 2004 bought new in March this year. There are updates and upgrades for the car that helps with the flooding issue but does not take care of it 100%. I was told to look under the hood for a M or N Flash update to the car. Mine has been updated. Ask the seller about this one. The car will flood when it's started but not allowed to warm up to normal operating temperature and then turned off. Some fellow 8'ers on this forum suggested a nice little rev (up to about 3 - 4K rpms) just before you shut it off. It will clear the gas from the combustion chamber. I have flooded mine only once (jumped in, backed it up a few feet to mow the lawn and shut it right back down). I believe the owner's manual tells you to start it with the gas pedal about halfway in, I did that, it started up and I left it running for a period of time to warm it up properly.

2> I don't think it requires more frequent oil changes - my Mazda dealer has set me up for 3K miles for changes. It does use oil and it was suggested to me that I need to check the oil about every 3rd fill-up of gas. I'm not quite to 3K miles yet and I had to add a small amount of oil at about 2K miles. There is an oil light indicator to tell you to add, but it's probably best to keep an eye on the level personally. DO NOT OVERFILL THE OIL. The owner's manual says to use 5W-20 and I'm going to ask my dealer what brand they use when they change mine here in the next few days. When I bought some to keep in the car for emergencies, there are not a lot of brand choices out there for that weight.

3> I love my car and have not had bad experiences with it yet. Hopefully that will continue to be the case. Please know that this is not a super-fuel efficient car. Many forum posters are upset about the mileage with the car. I'm getting anywhere from 15 (around town, stop and go) up to almost 22 with highway. I think that's really good for a new car with less than 3K miles on it. Yours has been broken in somewhat and should be doing a little better. Ask the seller about fuel usage.

4> I would inquire as to repairs, service...that has been done to the car. That will tell you if there has been any big problems with it.

It's a great car!! Enjoy it!! and keep us updated on your purchase.
  • liquid1liquid1 Member Posts: 4
    I am in the military stationed in South Korea and will be going back to the states in September of this year. I plan on buying a 2006 RX-8. Does anyone have any information on when the 06's will hit dealers or when Mazda will start taking orders?
    Another concern that I have is, since I am 6 feet tall will I be able to fit comfortably in the front seat. To give me more space I will opt out for the moon roof option, I just need at least an inch of head clearence from the roof of the car while sitting.
    I have heard mixed reviews on this car in reference to its acceleration abilities some reviews say that it isn't fast enough to be a sports car. For 30k I hope that this car is able to push me back in the seat when accelerating. So that brings me to my next couple of questions, how is the RX-8 on acceleration in stop and go traffic? When driving at highway speeds does the RX have enough acceleration capabilities to pass other cars with little effort? If someone could please help me out with getting some answers I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.
    moonroof and your height. I just bought a 2004 and had to bypass the moonroof because of the boyfriend. He's about 6' 4" and couldn't sit up straight in one with a moonroof but is fairly comfy without it. You should be fine without the moonroof and may actually be able to have one.

I have no problem with the acceleration in mine - enough pick-up to pass easy if you keep it geared down (I'm assuming you'll go with the 6 spd rather than the auto). I'm not sure I would consider it a push you back in the seat car, but I rarely drive mine like that.

It is a great car and I'm sure others here can give you some better info. Good luck!!
  • chris30chris30 Member Posts: 1
    I've owned quite a few different sporty cars over the last few years and I have to say the acceleration in the RX8 from zero is a little disappointing. The 240HP is ok, but the lack of torque really effects your ability to get moving quickly from a standstill. I've had instances where trucks and vans at lights have floored the gas and basically been ahead of me for the first few seconds whilst the power kicks in - it is hugely frustrating that max torque kicks in at around 6000 RPM, whereas a good sports car, in my opinion provides good torque from 3000 rpm The handling however is exceptional, obviously theres no point in having tonnes of straightline speed if you cant carry it into the corners. The rx8 is a really nimble chuckable car but in my opinion can not be classified as a true sports car because of it's lack of oomph.. Given the benefit of hindsight I would probably have opted for something else. P.S I'm keen on a good engine note and the rx8 sounds like a hairdrier!
  • liquid1liquid1 Member Posts: 4
    1. When are the 06 model RX-8's slated to come out?
    2. Any information on when they will start taking orders?

Another issue that I have is that I need a reliable car that doesn't have problems starting. From reading peoples entries on this forum, this car sounds like it my be unreliable. If it makes any difference I plan on getting the 6 speed manual.

3. Will the RX-8 ever have any flooding issues if the car is always warmed up before it is shut off?
    4. Overall would you say that the 8 is as reliable as any other car? :confuse:
  • secondcitysecondcity Member Posts: 28
    In response to the earlier post #2664, Mazda reports 0 to 60MPH in 5.9 sec. The driver obviously red lined it while dropping it into first gear-not too good for the tranny. The 8 will get you to 60 in under 7 seconds if you do a regular start off the line without burning to much rubber. I have revved her up to 4000 Rpms while throwing it into first and I probably got to 60 in under 6.5 sec. There is a "DSC" switch which needs to be turned off- if you really want to get a decent launch. When that switch is on, it applies the anti lock breaks at times- because its purpose is to prevent spin outs/loss of control.

The car is quick enough. I've held my own with g35's and 350Z's-. Those cars do have a lot more torque, and they don't have to have their transmissions/clutches beat up to get a quick start.. You do not get thrown back into the seat, instead--you get nice and even accelaration throughout each gear. You will feel more acceleration after 6000 rpms. First gear gets you up to almost 38-40 mph if you approach red line. Second gear is probably its strongest/quickest gear. If you want balls--get a mustang--if you want what I think is a great looking car with excellent handling and decent performance--get the RX8. Good luck in your search. I think you will like the RX8
  • secondcitysecondcity Member Posts: 28
    I bought an '05 in May. I came to the problem solution boards the day after I bought it and I almost died. I thought that I would be burdened with ridiculous flooding problems from day 1- and on. I have been problem free/ and I love the car.

I have never experienced the flooding problem-ever. I feel terrible for the people who have. I always warm up the car before I drive. I always check the oil every second or third fill up. I have taken it on long trips and short trips-and I have never experienced a check engine light going on or "weird" noises.

The '06 sounds like a redated 05-but I am not sure.

I feel like I worried too much after I read the "problems/solutions" board. But I had to stop myself because that board is only for people wo have experienced problems. There are a lot of people who have not had any problems and they really enjoy the car. Good luck.
  • trrtrr Member Posts: 1
    Liquid,
    First....thanks for your service to our country!
    Second...you'll love the RX-8.
    I haven't heard of Mazda making many big changes, but I have heard rumor of a Mazdaspeed & convertible version and even an RX-7 version. Since no pics have leaked, I'd think the RX7 is a bigger rumor than the Mazdaspeed version. As you maybe read about the flooding issue, it sounds like they've fixed that in the 2005 version.
    Depending on your arm/leg length proportions, you should have no problem comfortably fitting into the car. I'm 5-10 and have at least 4 inches clnc. When I take it to the track to run SCCA events (Solo II & Club Trials), I move the seat up a notch, but have to move the seatback back a notch to allow for the helmet & seat insert I use.
    Acceleration....If you want a fast launch, rev her up to 4000 and drop the clutch. With my 238 HP version, I get to 60 in 6 seconds pretty consistently. However, it does not have the low end torque of a Corvette. Fast enough to be a sports car....with the 6 spd manual, I hit 90 in 3rd gear and brake to 30 (in 100 feet or so) to make a tight 135 degree turn in 2nd and accelerate back to 90 in about 1/5th mile. Two lane road (somebody going 50 say) passing acceleration...drop her into 3rd (about 5000 RPM) and punch her. The 238 HP car has 2 ports that kick in around 6250. Any RPM's above 6250....will quickly reduce the MPG numbers.
    Reliability....I have car number 991 off the line (pre-ordered) and just had routine maintenance ever (even with the on track driver improvement sessions). As you'd expect for 1st year models, Mazda did come out with some mid-year 'fixes'. Make sure those 'fixes' have been installed. One helps with the rough idle, one with the flooding, one with the anti-locks 'clicking' (something about overspray on the underbody coating getting on them).
    Bottom line: If she was broke in right (driven nicely for first 500 miles or so) and didn't have any missed services (my Mazda dealer changes oil/filter every 3000), she'll be a good ride. They have produced over 100,000 RX8's and I'm sure have had a few bad ones, but check out the service history on the one you're looking at and if you don't see any big items listed, go for it. I'd say one with that many miles should be about $20-22,000. (238 HP/6 Spd Manual/Sport Package)
    OBTW: I still have my 1979 RX-7 (original year) and its rotary still loves to zoom too...
  • carsareuscarsareus Member Posts: 10
    I have felt that the RX-8 has been one of the most unrepresented of the medium price range sprts cars. Ever since its humble beginnings as the premeir car of the X-Men movie this peppy machine has been under the radar. I don't think that it is so much their fault as ours in the sense being a native New Yorker nobody talks about Mazda except for an occasional "zoom zoom". I wish that in the future years people will begin to see the true performance of this machine, and get past the fact that it is a Mazda. For a great review of the RX-8 check out carlist.com

http://www.carlist.com/newcars/2005/ncr_377.html">link title
  • dwynnedwynne Member Posts: 4,018
    It is good news/bad news. Mazda can't sell them (or does not know how to) so you don't see them much on the road - so the 8 owner has a special/rare car. Further good news is you can get a new, left-over 04 off a dealer lot TODAY for $4,500-5,000 under INVOICE or just get a new 05 for $2,500 to $3,200 under INVOICE.

The bad news is resale value is terrible - with so many unsold on Mazda lots folks selling a used 8 have to take a beating. A bad beating if they purchased near the 04 model release when no discounts and even gouging over MSRP were the norm.

With "more accessible" competition competing in the same price area - G35 coupe, 350Z, new Mustang GT, etc the "quirky" RX-8 with its under-torque feel just not appeal to most folks. It does appeal to ME - which is all that counts :-)

Dennis
    I was asked about the MPG on my AT. I've been taking notes for some time and can state the following: Per tank, I can go about 80 miles farther on the highway, than in the city.

Example: On the 4th of July, I spent the morning driving around the city (Ft. Lauderdale) getting stuff for a trip to Disney World - used a full tank - got 240 miles. That afternoon/evening I had to drive, via the turnpike, to Disney. The "Tank Empty" light had NOT come on and I had driven 320 miles. So, with a 15.9 gal tank, that comes out to 15.09 MPG City and 20.12 MPG Hwy.......both acceptable to the way I drive! Your mileage may vary.......I know on my trip around the US in April, I was getting 340+ to a tank, at times (21.38 mpg Hwy).

Maybe at some point Mazda will be able to do some sort of trick, like one less spark per rotation, to save some gas....if at all possible.....Pathstar could enlighten me!
    Well, less sparks would make it even poorer. That's the premise of MSD ignitions, one of the first multi-spark ignition systems. They ensure all fuel in the combustion chamber is burned by firing the spark plugs 2-4 times in rapid succession. When you burn all the fuel, the fuel you inject into the engine gives you more "push", thus requiring less fuel to do the job.

Unfortunately, installing those ignition systems in the RX-8 would be very expensive (you would need four sets).

You are probably thinking of the system they use at Chrysler where they shut down cylinders to improve mileage. If you tried to do this in a rotary, the engine runs very roughly. Makes you think it's going to spring out of the car!

I am not aware of any other way to improve the mileage, except the ones I have mentioned before:
    1. Don't let the car idle very much. 10 sec. each time you start it before moving is plenty. The RX-8 uses a lot of fuel at idle.
    2. As with any vehicle, avoid "jackrabbit" starts. Drive smoothly.
    3. As with any vehicle, try to plan your trips to minimize slow travel - 40 to 50 MPH is where most vehicles get their best mileage, so avoid routes that have low speed limits where possible.
    4. As with any vehicle, when practical, let the transmission slow you down when coming to a stop. The manufacturers don't like us to use the transmission in this way, but when doing so, the engine shuts the injectors down to minimal fuel. You are, in effect, recovering the energy the car has while in motion, instead of wasting it in brake heat, the premise that hybrids take advantage of.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,414
    I saw a white RX8 at the car wash today. It had a MazdaSpeed Exhaust and what looked like a rotary accent ground effects kit. I've never seen a white one before...It was really a sharp looking car.

On another note, I saw a lot of RX8s in Pittsburgh when I visited there July 4th weekend.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

It is AMAZING how many folks do not know how to compute something as simple as MPG.

1) Fill the tank until the pump clicks off
    2) Reset the trip meter
    3) Drive until you feel you need gas
    4) Fill the tank until the pump clicks off
    5) Note the gallons needed to fill the tank
    6) Divide the miles on the trip meter by the miles needed to fill the tank - this is your MPG for that tank
    7) Reset the trip meter and repeat from step 3

Note: if the pump clicks off too early before your tank is full, then you should go ahead and continue fuelling the car until it clicks off at full. Don't "top off" since you will not get many more miles with the little extra, but you can get gas on the car, on you, or maybe ruin the charcoal canister.

You drove 320 miles but divided by the size of the TANK (15.9 )- so figured you got 20.12 MPG. If there was still 2 gallons in your tank, then you really got 23.02.

Use the gallons needed to refill and not the size of the tank - and you can compute the accurate MPG no matter if you refill at 1/2 tank, 1/4 tank, or with the light on.

Dennis
  • antib0b77antib0b77 Member Posts: 5
    hey whats up, ive just joined and as i read on i see ur name and the input u haveso graciously given. i have recently purchased an 04 RX-8 with the GT package. now what im wondering is did i make a right choice on purchasing this car. ive read the problems and solutions forum and it seem like u know ur [non-permissible content removed], needless to say i was impressed. anyway im reading that these cars have some problems right off the lot. should i worry? what should i look for? and what kind of oil do u use, royal purple?

matt
  • jimstack41jimstack41 Member Posts: 7
    I drove the 05 and I love the car. We would love the NAV, but read it needs updating. I do not expect many changes for 06, but would like to know what is coming before I pull the trigger on a purchase.

There are a number of dealers within 75 miles and a few models that I would love to have are in stock. What kind of numbers should I be looking at for final pricing in the Northeast US?

Any news on 06 changes?
    Do you like the car? If so, you made the right choice. If you don't like the way it drives or looks, maybe you made a mistake.

All readers of this and other forums on the net should keep in mind you are seeing the problem cars on these forums, almost exclusively. I would guess 95% or more don't have any issues and are happy. I think the last report I saw said all makes of new vehicles have an average of two problems requiring dealer intervention.

While I do like Royal Purple products, Mazda do not recommend synthetics. I'd stick with "normal" oil, at least until the warranty has expired. You don't want to give them a good excuse to void the warranty. Stick with the weight recommended in the owners manual as well. If you follow the operating recommendations in the owners manual you should be happy (when cold, don't start it, pull forward and shut down - ie let it warm up before shutting off - that's the extent of the "special care" required).

In short, drive the car and enjoy. You have a good warranty to protect you should the improbable happen.
    06 models will be introduced in October. Mazda have been pretty good at keeping their cards close to their chest. ;) Im told by insiders you will be able to see the big surprize for 06 at "Sevenstock 8" in Irvine Ca. (Mazda USA HQ) in early October - it's a very big get-together of rotary owners with their cars. Just search for "sevenstock" on the net for more details.

Rumor has it there may be a supercharger in store for the Mazdaspeed RX-8. There are also rumored new transmissions. We'll see in October.
    Well, a lot of dealers have new 04s on the lot and a lot of dealers have TONS of 05s on the lot. So if it is and will be a good time to buy. 04s can be had for $4,000-5,000 under INVOICE and you should be able to get under invoice on a new 05, then take advantage of the $1,000 to $2,000 in MAC finance/lease rebates.

If there are no changes for 06, then things will continue as normal. If there are big changes - the thought is a MazdaSpeed 8 with a blower/turbo and probably a 5 or 6 speed auto-slushbox (current AT is 4 speed) for the "normal" cars.

If there are large changes then 05 sales will really slip and Mazda will be forced to stoke even more incentives on them.

On the 04s they kept adding more and more dealer/customer money until it hit $3,250 or so - but some of it was tied to overpriced MAC financing. Finally Mazda just gave all the dealers $4,000-4,500 per car and left them on their own. I would assume 05 cars will be handled the same - more and more incentives, a lot tied to a high priced MAC loan or lease, then a final buy down.

The only version of the Nav is 2003.7 - so it is quite out of date. Lots of missing POIs and newer streets. The Nav system does work well, but has one (well two) annoying things - it does not mute the stereo when "the voice" is giving instructions - and big flaw if you are playing tunes loud. The other I just found is that the Nav display sets off the laser detector in my Valentine 1. I am working on a fix, but may end up having to program off laser to shut it up.

Right now is not a bad time to buy. I used the $500 Gerber rebate, $2,000 in MAC lease rebates, the cheap (2.75?) 24 months MAC lease, and a $600-700 dealer discount under INVOICE to get my 05.

Dennis
    The V1 laser warning is a nuisance! So far it has never warned me of laser either! A possible fix is a "large" capacitor across the power input. I put one inside the power block and a smaller one inside the cig. lighter plug (for the other vehicle). I think I am also going to shut off X band. It's only good for detecting door openers these days. ;)
    I think it is "optical" from the screen. Since if I take a card and cover the screen it stops or if I cover the front of the detector it stops. I wondered about power too, but that does not seem to be the case. The solution may be taping a card to the underside of the V1 so it can't "see down" at a sharp angle.

I have more testing to do, but Valentine told me "yep, some Nav screens do that".

I am going to try the other V1 and see if it works better, if so I will switch out and put this one in the S (no OEM Nav).

I have been "lased" several times, the cops here use them a LOT now. Only ONE time did they point at someone else and my V1 went off - all the other time I was the target and if I had been speeding would have been given a "performance award" :-)

Dennis
  • antib0b77antib0b77 Member Posts: 5
    u said when its cold dont start it... what do u mean dont start it?as in dont start it at all?
    u said when its cold dont start it... what do u mean dont start it?as in dont start it at all?

The cold rotary engine is prone to flooding. So if you were going to pull your car out of the garage to wash it (for example) and you started it up, backed it out, then shut it off - it may not re-start. The owner's manual warns of this and recommends that you let it run for at least 5 minutes and then rev the motor and turn off the key. So either just roll it around or make sure it gets fully wamed up before you shut it off. I like to do this with any car - never like to start one up and not let it get to full temp.

Flooded rotaries can be hard to clear - as in you may need to be flat-bedded to the dealer and they pull the plugs and clean it out. Normally this is when the "too small" battery rears its ugly head - folks will run down the battery trying to get it to re-fire. There is a TSB from Mazda about installed the new part number (and larger, more CCA) battery. Also some folks are putting in the Optima (red top?) in place of the OEM battery . More CCA and leak/spill proof.

Dennis
    from this board and my mazda tech...

don't shut the car down while cold - flooding as dennis pointed out above.

start the car everyday because it has a wimpy battery. a run-down battery will be more likely to not start quickly and cause the car to flood. Mine almost wouldn't start after a 2-day rest.

run it rather "hard" once and again to get the engine cleaned out - don't abuse your car, but don't putter in it all the time.

It will use some oil. mine needed oil about 2K miles (small amount) and someone here recommended checking it about every 3rd fill-up. Use the correct weight 5W-20 ( I think) and my dealer uses Pennzoil so I do as well.

Gas mileage is not great. I get anywhere from 16 to almost 22. Use only premium.

My tech says most rx8 problems are "driver-induced." Read your owner's manual and look back thru the posts here and you'll find some great info to remain a happy 8'er. I have only 3500 miles on mine, but he runs great and makes me happy every time I get in it!!
    You said that your battery ran down after a 2 day rest. I'd have the dealer replace that battery.
    I have on 2 different occasions left my car sitting for a week at a time. :(
    Once, last December when we flew cross country for a week, and once back in March when we took our larger vehicle to the beach.
    After returning home both times, it started right up with no problems.

I've been running mostly 89 octane in my car and it is fine. I can still rev the heck out of it, and haven't had any pinging. I do put a tank of 93 in at least once a month. I do see that I've getting better gas mileage with the 89 octane than the 93, but I think I drive it harder on the higher octane tanks... :D I've gotten about 22.5 per gal with mostly highway driving and average around 17-19 around town, depending on how much I "zoom zoom" it.

I've got just over 9000 miles on mine, and it just keeps getting better every day!
    This is the most awesome car I've ever owned!
    Yep, there is a TSB for the larger battery install - just gotta convince the dealer you need it.

My car is new, so I am still learning about it. I stopped on the way home last night and was inside shopping for 45 minutes or so and when I came out the car cranked (slowly, it seemed) for about 20 seconds before it fired.

From what I have read, if the car is on a current flash and the plugs are good then it is probably a weak battery. Based on the build date, my car sat on the lot for close to a year. I think lhess' car sat for over a year and a half before purchase (left over 04). The batteries were too small to start with, but sitting out running down and then sitting more through the heat of summer and freezing of winter did them no favors.

Dennis
    a long time and the battery was bone-dead when they started it for my test drive. They even put it on a charger before I picked it up. Also, I am a short-distance driver 99% of the time. My car rarely runs more than 10 to 15 minutes at a time - coupled with a wimpy battery maybe it's just not enough to keep a good charge. I will definitely get an "upgrade" before winter.

My tech tells me less than premium gas is a huge no-no. It's not that much of a price difference when you drive as little as I do, so I've heeded his warning to this point.

Dennis - did you get the wing put on your car before you picked it up? And, how are things going? Must be tough having to break in a new S and a new 8 at the same time!!!
    start a "Rotary Rescue" program. A friend of mine asked me if I had experienced any problems with my car and told me a story about a man who purchased a loaded red RX8 for his grand-daughter's 16th birthday. She knew nothing about it, just liked the way it looked. My guess is Gramps knows no more. She took it to a football game the first week she had it and some "classmates" keyed it in the parking lot. She's had a couple of fender-benders in it so far. They've had all kinds of problems with it (imagine that??) and are constantly griping about what a terrible car it is. This story gave me chills. This car needs to be rescued (if it's not too late) and given a good home where it will be loved and cared for. Maybe we should have a moment of silence for all those 8's out there who aren't as fortunate as ours!!
    If your battery goes dead when the car sits for 6 months or less, there is something wrong with the battery! There is a power draw in the RX-8 but it's less than 20 mA when the car is off. Check that your interior lights go out, including the underhood and trunk light. If they go out, then complain to the dealer that the battery goes dead in whatever days. They should replace it under warranty.

The batteries the RX-8 came with were of poor quality. They leak and don't seem to last very long. It isn't that they are too small. My 3rd gen RX-7 has a battery in it that is 1/2 the size of the RX-8 battery and it works just fine - going on 4 years now. You can, after all, turn over the rotary engine with one hand!

A poor quality battery may have a higher internal shorting resistance - that is, it self discharges faster than a good quality battery. If it is allowed to discharge too far any lead acid battery will start to "sulphate". This sulphate falls off the plates and settles to the bottom of the battery. Eventually it builds up enough that it will start to short out the plates (not a dead short, a slow discharging short). This makes the self discharge even worse. If your battery dies after a few days of non-use this is what is happening. If you put a voltmeter across the battery after it has not been used for a few days, then turn on the headlamps and see 10V or less, you have one or more cells that are being discharged by this self-discharge effect. If you see 12 V the battery is fine and you need to check the terminals for oxide buildup (use a wire brush to clean them such as the inexpensive round type that do both the posts and the terminals - remove connector, clean post and connector - replace connector). Always remove the -ve terminal first - that way if you accidentally ground the post with your tools nothing happens. Leave the -ve terminal disconnected while you do the +ve terminal.

If you do disconnect the battery, you will probably have to reset the electric power steering as per the owners manual - turn all the way right, then left, then centre.
    Sorry Dennis.....correct in your calculations...I was just trying to, simply, show the difference I get between City & Hwy......I do have all the "gallons needed to fill" in my books...just that I was to lazy to get up and walk across the room to get them when I wrote!!......the difference between 20 and 23 would be a big deal to those interested in such things, so my bad!......just wanted everyone to know that City and Hwy MPG is different, especially if you hang out in the upper ends of the rpms........not that I condone such things....wait....what am I saying??...of course I condone that sort of thing in the RX8!!.. :) .....wheeeee!!!!
  • walkinthretwalkinthret Member Posts: 1
    well i was lookin at this page and saw the extrme rx8 it says its a concept but its high possibility of production,but thats not my point well idont no much about cars but i really like the rx-8 and i am learnin alot about it and saw this and was really amazed.but i wanted to know if in this rx-8 can i still put in a turbo kitt for ex:speed force turbo kit, and can i still make all the improvments like pulleys,cold air intake,short shift, in this rx-8 and make it even better? i really need to know plzz help me thanks:)
    this is the link: http://www.webwombat.com.au/motoring/news_reports/mazda-rx8-extreme.htm
  • mba2dnamba2dna Member Posts: 8
    It is 05 brand new. Surprisely, it includes clear side markers and vent strakes. Low end torque is disappointed but with satisfactory acceration in high spin.
  • giuliassgiuliass Member Posts: 4
    I'm currently driving FC, and planning on adding a family friendly 8. From general research and feeling, it's very close to my NA and I love it. But, I see so many 6MT in a seemingly good condition for less then $25K (sometimes less then $23K) everywhere (eBay etc.)

What could they not like about 8? Power? MPG? If so, both issues have had opinion and revew from everywhere... Are they just dumb?

Thanks for any tips!
    They don't get very good mileage, and with current fuel prices lots of folks are trying to dump them. Some also can't handle the flooding possibility.

You also have to realize they can be had for $25K to $27K new (particularly left over 04s on dealer lots), so those prices aren't particularly cheap for a used one. Check out the prices paid and deals made forum on this site.

Bottom line, it's a vehicle for particular people, rotor heads and those who really like the styling. For the rest, it's appearantly too complicated to operate. They don't get not letting it idle very much, not shutting it off before warming it up, and letting the engine rev properly.
  • ClairesClaires Member Posts: 1,222
    Congrats on your new ride, mba2dna! I hope you'll also post in the Mazda RX-8: Prices Paid & Buying Experience discussion, to help out other members who are looking to buy an RX-8.

Need help getting around? claires@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Tell everyone about your buying experience: Write a Dealer Review

• graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    pathstar....haven't been here in a long time. Glad to see you're still here.

From a former 8 owner (that was totalled), I had mine nearly two years.....20K miles.

I agree with you. The 8 is a bit quirky, but so rewarding.

I wasn't a "rotorhead. I just enjoyed its performance. It's amazing to me how this car has all of a sudden fallen off the sales radar. A few simple "rules" to follow (that you've alluded to) will reward the owner with one of the most scintilating sports cars currently made. To me, that was a very small price to pay to enjoy the 8.

I guess some just don't "get it", though.

I can't believe there are still '04s left on the ground waiting for an owner. Did Mazda "up" production and not tell anybody? What's your opinion why these cars seem to be languising?
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • giuliassgiuliass Member Posts: 4
    Thanks for the explanation Parthstar1 and Graphicguy!

It is very sad (good for me in short-term as a potential buyer)... Mileage and other things should have been researched since it's never stated "good mileage." Gee, I just don't get it; '04 with $5K reabte almost reaching used market. I truly think 8 are misunderstood for just another car on the market. I think it's a shaped spirit of Mazda's R&D unlike other "regular" cars. ahm... yes, I am a rotary head...

I guess sporty handling and chasis balance isn't highly valued in the US market... And Mazda is all about that: MS3, MS6, Miata(MX-5) and FC (except FD.) Even so, I think it was awesome package for the price.

And asking why I haven't ran to the lot? I'm still hoping they would build MS version. I just love the mirrors! (did you notice it's identical to '89-'91 Vert & TII?)

Again, thanks!