Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Have you recently purchased a new minivan? A reporter would like to talk to you; please reach out to [email protected] by July 2 for more details.
Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

How To Check Tire Pressure and Inflate Tires

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Posts: 10,059
edited September 2014 in General

imageHow To Check Tire Pressure and Inflate Tires

Avoid early tire wear, blowouts and bad fuel economy by checking your tire pressure every month. Here's the no-hassle way to get up to spec.

Read the full story here

Comments

• I don't agree, The label on the door jam maybe at good reference but every manufacture of tires have different inflation.
    Some tires have 45Lbs some have 32lbs and this varies by brand of tire.

You need to look at the tire and see what the tire pressure is cold.
    The sticker on the door jam maybe for the tires that were on the vehicle at time of production but if most operators have replace there tires the brand of tire may have different cold pressure inflation.
  • You can also buy a good quality air compressor at most hardware stores and keep it in your garage, rather than buying a cheap portable one at an Auto Parts Store. This is a good way to go if you have several drivers in your home and want to check all of the cars at once.
  • In response to a1cmugs2: From my experience, the pressure ratings on tires are often the maximum pressures that the tires should ever be filled to. Even if a tire has a maximum pressure of 45 PSI, it doesn't mean that this is the best pressure for your car.
  • I'm cheap so I used an analog pressure gauge and a bike floor pump. Although it takes some effort to manually inflate the tire, after you do it a few times you can roughly calculate how many pumps it will take to raise the pressure 1 unit, which is pretty nice. Also, you get a decent workout when inflating all of your tires.
  • ajb999ajb999 Posts: 1
    Should the pressure be checked when the car is fully loaded to capacity or before it is fully loaded? Several hundred pounds added to the back of a minivan should increase the pressure reading versus unloaded. Will pressure be too high if filled to recommended level and then the load is put in?
  • If “cold” always meant the same temperature, and if the temp. inside tire shops was always “cold”, I’d be happy.
    I phoned Goodyeare Tire Co. & asked the customer service rep., “If I inflated my car tires to 32 psi at zero degrees fahrenheit, and then heated them up to 100 degrees, what would be the pressure in the tires?” He replied, “That is a secret. I’ve heard that question before, and the answer is a secret.”
    Personally, for each car I own, I make up a chart w/2 columns: Temp. & pressure. I assume that the cold temp. outside is ALWAYS zero. Then I write in pressures, w/ the top pressure being whatever is the “Maximum Pressure” on the tire’s sidewall. By filling in the remaining blank spaces, I can assume that the tire isn’t underinflated any day of the year.
    Of course, all this presumes that car tires are designed to run safely at 44 psi at 100 degrees, etc.
    I wish tire manufacturers would publish a “tire pressure safety margin” range of pressures for each temp. from zero to 100 or 115 degrees.
    I forbid tire mechanics & oil change shops from checking pressure on my cars, so they won’t let air out.