Options

Volvo XC90 SUV

Comments

• Options
    gold233790gold233790 Member Posts: 183
    We were amongst the first to receive the XC90's, taking delivery near the end of November. After several months and several thousand miles, here are out thoughts/issues.....

Overall, we love the car. My wife was actually involved in a relatively minor accident a few weeks back where a car smacked into her from the right front. The cars were lodged together until a tow truck came to take the Ford Taurus away that hit her, and when it was removed there was nary a scratch on the front bumper where the impact had occurred. For all of the problems that we may have had, this one incident won me over. And in the end, isn't the safety of your loved ones the most important aspect???

Anyway....the first month and a half were without incident and very smooth driving. Then we had an issue where it sounded like an airplane was taking off inside the cabin of the vehicle. We brought it in for service, and the issue was fixed (sorry, wife brought it in that time, so I don't recall off-hand what the issue was). No harm, and we had the first service done at that time, about 1k miles early.

Now come the bigger issues. We've had a hollow thumping sound emanating from the rear of the vehicle for several months. Sometimes is goes away for a week or two, but then comes back and is constant for days on end. It sounds almost like something is loose and is banging against the undercarriage of the car. So we brought it in several times, and the Murphy's Law of vehicles bit us each time- the noise wasn't there for the service techs to hear. Finally, the heard it and claimed it was the right rear shocks-apparently a common problem. But we've recently had them replaced, and the noise still exists.

Another issue is that between 40-60 mph, when pressing down on the accelerator, the whole car begins to vibrate on occasion. This happens probably three or four times a day, and the vibration lasts for several seconds before stopping altogether. We've had the service guys look at the problem, and they've rotated the tires around and checked everything (so they claim) but it still vibrates contstantly.

The final issue is the emergency brake is VERY stiff. We can maybe get two clicks if we press down hard on it, and after popping it to start the car back up we sometimes have an odd noise in reverse- almost a quick whistling type noise.
  • Options
    seatbeltseatbelt Member Posts: 3
    I have a 03 xc90 with considerable damage to the door and seat from the seat belt not retracting correctly. My dealer fixed it once (by repairing the leather which is now discolored) and now will not discuss the issue further. I have been told by the dealer and Volvo customer service that it is customer negligence! I know others are having this problem and I am wondering if they have a suggestion to remedy this problem.
  • Options
    1sttimevolvo11sttimevolvo1 Member Posts: 189
    seatbelt, check messages 1494, 1495, 1501, 1507 and 1763 for comments and responses to this issue. At least one poster has had a dealer that has been more than willing to satisfy them regarding this problem. We have had our `04 T2.5 for a few weeks now, so it's early to tell if there is a problem with ours. We have no kids, so we seldom have people in the back seats.
    A little tip:
    What I have found is when I am ready post a message I search this discussion for whatever topic I'm interested in. Just go to the "search this discussion" box at the end of the posts.
    Good luck!
  • Options
    sbcookesbcooke Member Posts: 2,297
    I am surprised there was no damage to the XC90. Most Volvo's I have ever seen in accidents (even minor fender benders) fold like an accordian. That is a good thing because it is dispersing all impact energy, however usually a simple rear-ending is a very costly adventure.
  • Options
    treidnotetreidnote Member Posts: 2
    Searched all the posts here, but no direct answers to the question- Can this thing really tow? How does it handle with a trailer- tracking, sway, braking, power?

I need to pull a skiboat- 4000 lbs total boat+trailer- twin axle, disc (surge) brakes.

I really don't want to go the domestic SUV route, and I'd like to stay in a Volvo(currently a 10yr-old 850 Turbo wagon). The Toureg looks like the most promising alternative, but question VW quality at this price point. Just not sure the XC90 really has the stones to tow, despite the 5000# rating. Anyone with actual experience (as opposed to just an opinion) pls. weigh in.
  • Options
    volvomaxvolvomax Member Posts: 5,238
    The fwd Volvo's for years would tow up to 3300 lbs and I have several customers who have towed at or near that weight.
    My recommendation would be the T6, with its greater torque reserves it will do it quicker and easier than the 2.5T.
  • Options
    carguy786carguy786 Member Posts: 1
    I have compared the XC90 against the MDX, X5, Aviator, GX 470 and Sequoia and determined it fits my family's needs the best. However, there are a few issues I have:
    1) No dealer in St Louis will discount off MSRP. This is concerning since historically, Volvo depreciation has been high. Has anyone bought their car below asking?
    2)I have heard maintenance is high. For 2004, the first 4 intervals are included, but what has a typical service interval cost?
    3) If I am going to keep this car for 5-7 years, should I be worried about long term reliability? I have never owned a Volvo before.

Any feedback would be appreciated.
  • Options
    libertycatlibertycat Member Posts: 593
    very reliable. This highly-regarded SUV will hold its value MUCH better than other Volvos also. "SUVs of the year" will NOT have discounts until at the soonest the second or third model year.
  • Options
    volvomaxvolvomax Member Posts: 5,238
    No dealer is selling below MSRP.
    This is actually something that will help keep residual values high on this car.
    The Auto Lease Guide, which is an independent appraiser of future values for lease companies rate the XC90 higher than any other SUV in its class.

Servicing on a Volvo is not terribly expensive either.
    We charge $20 for an oil change and the most expensive interval service is about $600.00

Volvo's have very long life spans, avg age is 18 yrs.
    While the early cars on the P2 chassis had some teething issues the 01-04 cars have been very reliable.
  • Options
    Thanks for repeating what I just said (besides the service cost, life span, and Auto Lease Guide). It will really help the potential buyer.
  • Options
    itsaforditsaford Member Posts: 3
    Thanks to Scoditvolvo for the suggestion, however the noise in the engine is definitely not the turbos - I am familiar with that very normal sound. My sound is similar to what JGHB describes, however it is very high in pitch. Happens very frequently. It is annoying my wife to the max. As far as seat belt damage, we had a lot of it on our vehicle, as described by "seatbelt". It is definitely a problem that a significant number of people have had. Volvo may not want to admit to it, but my local dealer paid me lip service, at least, and said that they would fix it even if it kept on happening.
    We will be leavin gour four month old XC90 with the dealer for the third time now in order to get things right.
  • Options
    vwguildvwguild Member Posts: 1,620
    Check out the VW Touareg before you sign anything...
  • Options
    It is an ugly egg (LOL) with a spartan interior and not very much versatility. You might, however, look at the Acura MDX and Chrysler Pacifica if you haven't already. I'm willing to bet vwguild works for vw. They must be DESPERATE to sell those ugly eggs.
  • Options
    mcgettmcgett Member Posts: 1
    I can't seem to find any information on the navigation system in the XC90 anywhere online. I took a trip to our local dealer and they didn't have anything on the lot with one nor any additional information. I have just one question that hopefully someone can answer.

Can you type in a place name (Home Depot for instance) and have it tell you where the nearest on is?

The Honda/Acura systems have this capability and we can't do with out it.
  • Options
    rkuehnrkuehn Member Posts: 120
    Speaking of the Nav, is it possible to save a location (home, friends address, offices, etc.) that you return to frequently? Perhaps a "file" of destinations that you could quick pick from, as opposed to re-entering an address, for example.

Not sure why Volvo doesn't do a better pitch on the Nav system online, with details of what it can do for you.

Also I've been wondering about satellite radio (XM, Sirious), seems Volvo isn't ready for that game yet. If it were ever possible to retrofit sat radio, would it be more likely into the stereo system or the nav system?

One would think the stereo but I've seen photos of the Nav screen with an extra "Communications" selection (along with "Navigation", "Settings", and "Shut Down". And another with "E-mail, "Web browser", "Address Book", and "Voice memo". All of this was for something called Volvo Interactive, "only in combination with the navigation system and the integrated phone".

Yo, Volvo, the Japanese and even the Americans are all over sat radio, what's the delay? Didn't the Swedes introduce the world to cell phones technology???
  • Options
    I sure didn't know that.
  • Options
    mirage00mirage00 Member Posts: 7
    Does anyone know if these monitors are available from the parts department at volvo?

http://www.carpages.co.uk/volvo/volvo_rear_seat_entertainment_ava- ilable_for_the_xc90_15_05_03.asp?v=1

They look exactly the same as the model I was intending to buy to install myself.

http://www.mobilevideo4less.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD- &Store_Code=MV&Product_Code=HR58M
  • Options
    vwguildvwguild Member Posts: 1,620
    Your 'Profile' speaks volumes about your taste in automobiles...
  • Options
    Well, yours shows you are a VW employee payed to transfer buyers to VW as a desperate move to increase slow sales.
  • Options
    avalonjavalonj Member Posts: 1
    I bought a 2004 T-5 FWD on May 31st for under MSRP. I had a 2004 on order with another dealer but took my daughter on a test drive because she had never been in the XC90. It had a third seat (which I didn't want)but otherwise was exactly what I had ordered. Since I was in no hurry for the car -- and told them so, I said that if they wanted to sell it to me, they would have to deal. I got some hemming and hawing, then left the dealership and said I would have to think about it. I waited until 7:30 that night, called the dealer, gave them a price and said that if they agreed, I would complete the paperwork that nigh. They called back an hour later and the car was mine. The only precondition was that they asked me not to tell the other dealer what they sold it to me for. So,although I won' disclose the numbers, it was under Edmunds TMV.

I've had it a month and have taken it up and back to the NJ shore twice. Aside from that sticky emergency brake (I'm now used to it), the car is awesome. It handles beautifully -- I'm getting between 20-21 mpg overall and the acceleration even when fully loaded with luggage and "stuff" on the highway is amazing. Plus, it is very attention-getting! Now that I've figured out how to parallel park it, I'm set. This is the third Volvo I've owned. I couldn't bear to give up my 850 so I'm saving it for my teen daughters. I just sold my 19 year old DL wagon in April (sob) but it went to a good home. I spent 15 months checking out the XC90 - reading all the comments on this Town Hall religiously -- before taking the plunge. Although there are more negative than positive comments on Town Hall, that is how human nature works. There are many of us thrilled XC90 owners out there.
  • Options
    tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    The topic is the Volvo XC90 SUV and NOT each other.

tidester, host
  • Options
    prajapatiprajapati Member Posts: 33
    I enjoy reading consumer comments. I think dealers (such as vwguide) should be blocked from the consumer groups because they have different interest in promoting their product (whatever they are selling at the time of posting). Perhaps, and if resources permit then, there should be a separate group for dealer-to-consumer feedback. The edmunds car discussion groups are, I suppose, a forum for consumer feedbacks and the forum itself will loose value if biased posting by established interests continue.

Both Touareg and XC90 are excellent vehicles and, IMHO, both are over priced. XC90, because of perceived safety benefit which drives up demand though the volume is reasonable and Touareg, because it's new model in market with a very low volume. What more can I say, Let's enjoy the free market economy!
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I enjoy messages from dealers - gives us a view from the other side. We have had a few (present company excluded) who caused the hosts a bit of extra work because they were posing as happy consumers, or would blatantly advertise.

A few actually know more about their product line than enthusiasts here, and sometimes they share good tidbits about how their store works and how best to get to your out the door price.

For some dealer specific issues, check out the Any Questions for a Car Dealer? board.

Steve, Host
  • Options
    adrake5adrake5 Member Posts: 2
    I have a few gripes about the new 2004 XC90 key/remote fob. Has anyone else experienced the following problems or found solutions to them?

1. It is VERY BIG, I have the same type of key/remote combo for my Audi and the Volvo one is about 20% larger in size. Any bigger and I'd have to wear it attached to my belt like a cell phone. In fact I've actually seen cell phones the same size!

2. The actual metal key part becomes unsprung very easily. Almnost every time I go for the key it has already been opened in my pocket. I have NEVER had this happen with my Audi key.

3. The "ring" provided to attach it to your key ring is about the size of the nail on your pinky toe, after it has been trimmed. It is so small that when on my key ring the key/remote is unable to swing unhampered around the key ring. And worst of all, any excess pressure (such as pulling your keyring out of your pocket by the key/remote itself) will cause the two pieces of plastic that make up the key/remote to come apart causing the key/remote to be separated from the key ring! My dealer has told me that a lost key/remote will run you $300!

I love the new XC90 (except for the radio that I won't go into here) except for the fact that Volvo obviously spent very little time designing and assuring the quality of their new key/remote.
  • Options
    tonyt57tonyt57 Member Posts: 6
    Dachshund- I don't have pictures yet! I just installed it on Thursday and spent the weekend in the mountains towing my quad(600 lbs). Also in the car with me, about 800 lbs. of people/gear. The install was the easiest thing, I was really surprised. Had to undo the muffler support, and the pipe support by the rear suspension, held up with wood blocks temporarily. Needed to cut/grind a small portion of tow bracket on pass. side. Its a hidden hitch, and all you see is the 2 inch square, down slightly from the bumper. No cutting.
  • Options
    clpurnellclpurnell Member Posts: 1,083
    I have given him enough heart ache in the Toureg Forum already :) He was just trying to present an alternative to the XC90 that is it. He has been around for a long time and has given people valuable information on new product launches, incetives and etc while not soliciting. I think the toureg is a competitor for the 5 seat XC90.
  • Options
    LOL
  • Options
    avery1avery1 Member Posts: 373
  • Options
    How humurous!!!
  • Options
    How humurous!!!

Um ... you mean humorous! :-)

Did you know that if you rearrange the letters in Touareg you can come up with to argue or outrage?

You may want to make use of the Chell Specker below! ;-)

tidester, host
  • Options
    I'm a terrible speller today. I'm glad Chevy didn't rename their mid-size truck the Touareg! THAT would have caused controversy. The Chell Specker??? :)
  • Options
    dachshund2dachshund2 Member Posts: 39
    Tony did you do the wiring harness also?

P.S. Sorry Steve for post 1941. I should have known better, but...
  • Options
    videoonevideoone Member Posts: 4
    outrage
    at rogue
    gout ear

to auger
    our gate

to argue
    o'er a gut

got urea
    o'er a tug

gear out
    a true go
    touareg
  • Options
    max63max63 Member Posts: 76
    So I have a XC90 on order, due in August. During this waiting period, I have test drove several other SUVs. The MDX feels much quicker than the T-5 and the armrest seemed closer to you, thus providing better comfort. The VW Touareg is a great ride, just way too small in the back. Interior is top notch in this SUV. Safety is very important to me, but do you guys think the MDX is a better overall value. Its cool to have a unique SUV, however I want to make the smart move. Problems which have been noted on this board, don't seem to be likely with an MDX. Someone help convince me!
  • Options
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    You're more than welcome to repost about the seat belts and just refer to customer relations without the contact info :-)

Steve, Host
  • Options
    Wow!

tidester, host
  • Options
    rob35ctsrob35cts Member Posts: 53
    What is interval service? $600 sounds like alot to me since I do nearly everything myself.
  • Options
    bigeddybigeddy Member Posts: 181
    The Nav manual is available online in the Owner's Circle, http://volvocars.us/VolvoOwnership/OwnersCircle/, in the Volvo Library section. Unfortunately, you can browse but not download it.

Destinations can be selected in several ways although I find many categories to be rather thin. Heck, the database doesn't even have my local Volvo dealer!

You can save locations such as addresses, lat-lon coordinates, and points selected on the map. These are accessed under "Stored locations."
  • Options
    adrake5:

1. "It is VERY BIG..."

True. It probably tries to do too much. I find the size and shape a bit awkward to grip when starting the car.

2. "The actual metal key part becomes unsprung very easily."

I haven't noticed this. Perhaps your latch is overly sensitive or you have too much stuff in your pocket.

3. "The "ring" provided to attach it to your key ring is about the size of the nail on your pinky toe, after it has been trimmed. It is so small that..."

Try an intermediate ring between the key fob and key ring. But don't expect the key fob to support much weight. If you have a lot of keys, it would be best to keep the key fob separate.
  • Options
    tonyt57tonyt57 Member Posts: 6
    Dachshund. Yes I did. I fretted over it for almost 2 days. Didn't want to hurt my baby! I overcame my self doubt and "just did it". It was pretty easy also. Take the tails lights out find the right wire, the power is right there, even a grommet through the body, where the battery hose goes. YOU CAN DO IT......
  • Options
    rkuehnrkuehn Member Posts: 120
    Thanks for the tip on the manual, that was very helpful. Another question, will the system work without a destination selected, i.e. if you just want to cruise around with mapping & location information displayed?
  • Options
    rollierollie Member Posts: 337
    The $600 service is for the MAJOR interval service every 30,000 miles and is still a bit high. That's a dealer service schedule price and not a factory price I suspect. The difference is that individual dealers develop their own set of recommended services above and beyond the minimal set of factory prescribed items for a maintenance visit. If you are cost conscious you can certainly ask for a description of the dealer maintenance and ask wheich items aren't on the factory schedule.

If the XC90 T6 maintenance is similar to the S80 T6 maintenance then the regular 7,500 mile stop (and it might be 10,000 on the XC90 come to think of it?) will set you back $125 or so in my experience (give or take $25.) It's more than say a Toyota Camry but the service intervals are twice as long or more which I think is the reason why Edmunds shows the 5 year cost of maintenance for Volvos (and other luxury cars) as a fraction of the maintenance cost for Accords, Camrys, etc.

Good luck.

-rollie
    rdollie@att.net
  • Options
    1sttimevolvo11sttimevolvo1 Member Posts: 189
    My wife and I narrowed our list of potential SUV's to the GMC Envoy, Acura MDX and the XC90 T2.5 AWD. We decided on the XC90 in February. Received it July 4th and have thus far been very pleased. Not only did the vehicle impress us, but the salesman was extremely knowledgeable about the car. I would rank the salesman at Acura a very close second as far as MDX knowledge, but he was not up to par on the performance of the vehicle. The Volvo salesman was very up to speed with regards to performance and handling. It probably helped that he also moonlighted racing cars.
    I plan to periodically update on this site as the months and miles go by. We are travelling to Destin, Florida next week, so it will be the first long distance road test.

The MDX would still be a good choice, I suppose. Kind of like choosing between $100 dollar bill, or 2 $50's. Either way you'll come out fine in my opinion.
  • Options
    rkuehn: "...will the system work without a destination selected, i.e. if you just want to cruise around with mapping & location information displayed?"

Yes, that's the way it starts up. A handy feature is the split screen where you can view your position at 2 different map scales.
  • Options
    volvotexvolvotex Member Posts: 8
    I only started reading this forum a couple of weeks ago after I already had done extensive research on the few SUVs that I thought might be worth looking into. I considered the MDX, Touareg,and Envoy but ended up with the XC90 for several reasons (safety, style, features, and the fact that I don't see one on every corner). I think the Touareg has some great features but no third row seating and the interior design is awful (as a previous post mentioned), but maybe that's just German style. We picked ours up last Friday night (2.5T AWD) and so far I love it. Unfortunately, I bought it for my wife, so I have to wait for the weekends to take my turn. I did get mine a little below MSRP, because it was loaded (except the nav system) and I really didn't want/need the Climate Package. I had been checking dealers throughout the state and when I found one on the delivery list that was close to what I wanted I jumped on it. It was quite different from previous car buying experience-no rustproofing cons, etc. Just TT&L and a pretty good finance rate.
  • Options
    croaker31croaker31 Member Posts: 1
    Anyone know where I can get the gross vehicle weight rating on the XC90 (7 seater)? I need something official to keep since I plan on using Accelerated Depreciation on this new car purchase. I assume it's over the 6000 lbs requirement. Thanks for the help. With Acc. Dep., it's much easier on my wallet to buy this SUV.
  • Options
    e350v10e350v10 Member Posts: 92
    From the volvo website:

Gross Vehicle Weight 7-Passenger - XC90 2.5T = 5,840 lb.; XC90 2.5T AWD = 6,005 lb.; XC90 T6 AWD = 6,080 lb.
  • Options
    rulesterrulester Member Posts: 3
    I would like to buy an XC90. I am a bit concerned with my trade-in though. My current car (the trade-in) has been in a fairly significant wreck, but has been repaired and is driving well. Also, the title on my trade-in car is good.

Since I've never been through the trade-in process (never-the-less with a previously wrecked car), can anyone share with me their experiences? Will the Volvo dealer accept this as a trade-in?

Many thanks!